Home Non Cigar Related
Options

The Bourbon and Whiskey Thread

Comments

• Options
    jimmyv723jimmyv723 Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭
    Went to a local place and a lot of the stuff was averaging $10 more here as opposed to the online source. That's including stuff like Maker's Mark and Knob Creek. The one thing that was cheaper here was Eagle Rare by $5 but they were out. Going to check again next week but went with a 1L bottle of the Weller Special Reserve for now. That's one that isn't at the online place and they only have the Antique so figured I'd grab one of these and it was only a few bucks more for the 1L bottle than the 750ml. It was right around $25 so figured I'd give it a shot.
    Ken Light 3K MOW Badge - 8/14
    2015 Gang War - East Coast
    Enola Gay - Target #29

• Options
    D_FreshD_Fresh Posts: 610 ✭✭✭
    jimmyv723:
    Went to a local place and a lot of the stuff was averaging $10 more here as opposed to the online source. That's including stuff like Maker's Mark and Knob Creek. The one thing that was cheaper here was Eagle Rare by $5 but they were out. Going to check again next week but went with a 1L bottle of the Weller Special Reserve for now. That's one that isn't at the online place and they only have the Antique so figured I'd grab one of these and it was only a few bucks more for the 1L bottle than the 750ml. It was right around $25 so figured I'd give it a shot.
    Good choice! I have a bottle of that as well and enjoy it often.
  • Options
    90+_Irishman90+_Irishman Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭✭
    D Fresh:
    jimmyv723:
    Same here I am about two pours from being out and its out of stock along the front range currently. No one carries the W.L. Weller 12 year (unicorn here in CO dammit??) or the Old Weller Antique 107. Luckily you can at least find the regular line Pribate Reserve which is still very good.
    "When walking in open territory bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask them to stop. If they do not stop, destroy them."
  • Options
    90+ Irishman:
    D Fresh:
    jimmyv723:
    Same here I am about two pours from being out and its out of stock along the front range currently. No one carries the W.L. Weller 12 year (unicorn here in CO dammit??) or the Old Weller Antique 107. Luckily you can at least find the regular line Pribate Reserve which is still very good.

Good stuff

They do have the Antique 107 at the online place I found. I think it's about 40 bucks.
    Enola Gay - Target #29

• Options
    The_KidThe_Kid Posts: 7,869 ✭✭✭
    jimmyv723:
    Going to check out a place here in town tomorrow and see what they have and what it's all going for. Found a place online that has a great selection too but the Shipping gets you there. Been doing tons of research and watching reviews though and found some different ones that sound interesting. I have Makers Mark and the Weller on the list and also am interested in Russel's Reserve, Larceny, Buffalo Trace and their Eagle Rare, the Glenfiddich 15 and I know it's not Bourbon or Whiskey but want to try some Port too.
    Nope. its not whiskey either, its whisky, ;o),, If one more guy brings up Glenfiddich 15 ,,lol
  • Options
    The Kid:
    jimmyv723:
    Going to check out a place here in town tomorrow and see what they have and what it's all going for. Found a place online that has a great selection too but the Shipping gets you there. Been doing tons of research and watching reviews though and found some different ones that sound interesting. I have Makers Mark and the Weller on the list and also am interested in Russel's Reserve, Larceny, Buffalo Trace and their Eagle Rare, the Glenfiddich 15 and I know it's not Bourbon or Whiskey but want to try some Port too.
    Nope. its not whiskey either, its whisky, ;o),, If one more guy brings up Glenfiddich 15 ,,lol

My bad on the spelling and it's like when you're starting off in Cigars. If you see enough people mention something you put it on your list. Seems like everyone's enjoying that one so definitely want to check it out.
    Enola Gay - Target #29

• Options
    jimmyv723:
    The Kid:
    jimmyv723:

My bad on the spelling and it's like when you're starting off in Cigars. If you see enough people mention something you put it on your list. Seems like everyone's enjoying that one so definitely want to check it out.
    Its a great scotch and very very smooth and quite sweet and mellow for a scotch IMHO so I think it's a good one for people just starting to get their feet wet in that end of the pool. Enjoy Jimmy and glad the Weller treated you well!
    "When walking in open territory bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask them to stop. If they do not stop, destroy them."
  • Options
    Decided to give back the Mrs. Irish's kitchen to her and free up her cabinet space so moved the bottle and glass collection up to the office/bedroom and now using my grandparents waterfall dresser from the 1930's turned out pretty slick if I do say so myself.

• Options
    Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,026 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm a nearly complete noob when it comes to Premium bourbons. I started out pairing my cigars with George Dickle or Jack then Gentleman Jack. Stayed with that for a while as I convinced myself that I preferred Tenessee Whiskey until I was introduced to WL Weller Special Reserve at a function. Bought a bottle. Then I started reading up more on Bourbons then picked up some Woodford Reserve based mainly on what I read here on the forum. Love that stuff.

Anyhoo,......Have any of you seen the documentary "Bourbontucky"? I caught a glimpse of an interesting promo ad on TV for it. It mentioned the explosion in worldwide interest in Bourbon and looks to be an interesting doc. It may only be available on DirecTV. AUDHD channel 500 and 601 on DirecTV. I thought I'd mention it for you guys if you want to give it a look. Looks like starting next Saturday it will be shown again. Here's a description. [It's a beverage, a region, and an entire way of life! Colorful inhabitants come together to create a world class product - Kentucky Bourbon. Enthusiasts, historians, and master distillers share stories of the past, present and future of BOURBONTUCKY! (First Aired December 6th, 2014)]
  • Options
    Ken_LightKen_Light Posts: 3,537 ✭✭✭
    90+ Irishman:
    Decided to give back the Mrs. Irish's kitchen to her and free up her cabinet space so moved the bottle and glass collection up to the office/bedroom and now using my grandparents waterfall dresser from the 1930's turned out pretty slick if I do say so myself.

Wow what a cool dresser and great convert to a bar set-up!
    ^Troll: DO NOT FEED.
  • Options
    Bob Luken:
    I'm a nearly complete noob when it comes to Premium bourbons. I started out pairing my cigars with George Dickle or Jack then Gentleman Jack. Stayed with that for a while as I convinced myself that I preferred Tenessee Whiskey until I was introduced to WL Weller Special Reserve at a function. Bought a bottle. Then I started reading up more on Bourbons then picked up some Woodford Reserve based mainly on what I read here on the forum. Love that stuff.

Anyhoo,......Have any of you seen the documentary "Bourbontucky"? I caught a glimpse of an interesting promo ad on TV for it. It mentioned the explosion in worldwide interest in Bourbon and looks to be an interesting doc. It may only be available on DirecTV. AUDHD channel 500 and 601 on DirecTV. I thought I'd mention it for you guys if you want to give it a look. Looks like starting next Saturday it will be shown again. Here's a description. [It's a beverage, a region, and an entire way of life! Colorful inhabitants come together to create a world class product - Kentucky Bourbon. Enthusiasts, historians, and master distillers share stories of the past, present and future of BOURBONTUCKY! (First Aired December 6th, 2014)]
    Welp, there goes a chunk of my wednesday. Thanks!! (sincerely)
  • Options
    Bob Luken:

Set to record now. Thanks for the heads up!
  • Options
    Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,026 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Documentary update: Check out this documentary I found online.

nunncenter.org/bourbon

Also easily available via Youtube.
    Kentucky Bourbon Tales: Distilling the Family Business
  • Options
    Awesome info Bob thanks for that!
  • Options
    Damn, that worked out awesome for that purpose. Got a nice collection going too. Was actually looking at the 1792 and heard some good things about it. The Stagg Jr sounds really good too.
    Enola Gay - Target #29

• Options
    So I just opened a new bottle of Elijah Craig 12... man is that some good bourbon. It's been a while since I've had the 12 since I've been sticking to the barrel proof. If there is anyone looking for a really good introductory bourbon to drink neat, I can't recommend this enough. So damn smooth!
  • Options
    jimmyv723:
    Damn, that worked out awesome for that purpose. Got a nice collection going too. Was actually looking at the 1792 and heard some good things about it. The Stagg Jr sounds really good too.
    Thanks Jimmy, I was glad with how well it worked out too! The 1792 drinks like a $30-40/bottle but costs about $20-25 if you can find a store that isn't gouging. I love it and a great drink neat or mixed, but I do especially enjoy it neat. As for the Stagg Jr. it can be hard to locate, but a store local to me has some currently on sale for 39.99 so let me know if you want me to grab it and ship for you.
  • Options
    D Fresh:
    So I just opened a new bottle of Elijah Craig 12... man is that some good bourbon. It's been a while since I've had the 12 since I've been sticking to the barrel proof. If there is anyone looking for a really good introductory bourbon to drink neat, I can't recommend this enough. So damn smooth!
    That is on the short list for ones I need to get soon, glad it's treating you so well bro!
  • Options
    90+ Irishman:
    jimmyv723:
    Thanks Jimmy, I was glad with how well it worked out too! The 1792 drinks like a $30-40/bottle but costs about $20-25 if you can find a store that isn't gouging. I love it and a great drink neat or mixed, but I do especially enjoy it neat. As for the Stagg Jr. it can be hard to locate, but a store local to me has some currently on sale for 39.99 so let me know if you want me to grab it and ship for you.

One nice thing about having online resources is being able to check and compare prices. There are some things that are within a few dollars more here locally than online and 1792 is one of them. Something like Bulleit which is about $21 online is $38 here lol. If it's within a few bucks it's better to just grab it here and avoid shipping but when it's $10 or more here I may just have to go the online route.

Will take you up on the Stagg Jr offer too. Haven;t seen it online or here locally but the reviews I've seen, been watching lots of YouTube stuff haha, have all been raving about it. Figured would be a great one to have to work up to. Just PM me your paypal info and what the total would be because can't pull your info up to PM you.
    Enola Gay - Target #29

• Options
    jimmyv723:
    90+ Irishman:
    jimmyv723:

One nice thing about having online resources is being able to check and compare prices. There are some things that are within a few dollars more here locally than online and 1792 is one of them. Something like Bulleit which is about $21 online is $38 here lol. If it's within a few bucks it's better to just grab it here and avoid shipping but when it's $10 or more here I may just have to go the online route.

Will take you up on the Stagg Jr offer too. Haven;t seen it online or here locally but the reviews I've seen, been watching lots of YouTube stuff haha, have all been raving about it. Figured would be a great one to have to work up to. Just PM me your paypal info and what the total would be because can't pull your info up to PM you.
    No problem at all Jimmy, shipping only due to the weight is a bit of a pain but let's call it $10 to ship and call it good, I will cover the rest. I will shoot you a PM in just a min.
  • Options
    Had some of the EH Taylor Small Batch with a Tatuaje Reserva Noellas tonight and it's been great. It's 10 higher Proof than the Weller Special Reserve but is just as smooth and maybe even smoother. Still finding my way with the Bourbon and not nearly up to par as far as picking out flavors and aromas go yet but it does have an almost Toffee, Salty Chocolate Aroma and Taste to it. It is only my first glass of my second Bourbon so take that with a grain of salt but really enjoying getting into the Bourbons.

Enola Gay - Target #29

• Options
    jimmyv723:
    Had some of the EH Taylor Small Batch with a Tatuaje Reserva Noellas tonight and it's been great. It's 10 higher Proof than the Weller Special Reserve but is just as smooth and maybe even smoother. Still finding my way with the Bourbon and not nearly up to par as far as picking out flavors and aromas go yet but it does have an almost Toffee, Salty Chocolate Aroma and Taste to it. It is only my first glass of my second Bourbon so take that with a grain of salt but really enjoying getting into the Bourbons.

Thanka for the rite up that looks like a killer pairing, I've had my eye on the Colonel for a while sounds fantastic thanks for sharing Jimmy!
  • Options
    No problem and yeah I would definitely recommend it. Checked out some reviews on YouTube and they got more along the lines of Ginger, Apple and Graham Crackers along with the normal Corn and Oak. Like I said I'm still finding my way so I'll have to see what I get the more I try it but I definitely liked it a lot and it is definitely very smooth.
    Enola Gay - Target #29

• Options
    jimmyv723:
    No problem and yeah I would definitely recommend it. Checked out some reviews on YouTube and they got more along the lines of Ginger, Apple and Graham Crackers along with the normal Corn and Oak. Like I said I'm still finding my way so I'll have to see what I get the more I try it but I definitely liked it a lot and it is definitely very smooth.
    Nice, and honestly at the end of the day all that really matters is that you like it. Even if everyone else says its a total dogs egg, who cares as long as you like it ;)
  • Options
    So looks like there will be no 2015 Four Roses Single Barrel Limited Edition or any other year after 2014.... Sad day. Oh btw, nearly 4 years here at Ccom and I still don't know how to make a link clickable so if you know how please do so lol.

http://fredminnick.com/bourbon-shortage-four-roses-ends-limited-edition-single-barrel/
  • Options
    90+ Irishman:
    So looks like there will be no 2015 Four Roses Single Barrel Limited Edition or any other year after 2014.... Sad day. Oh btw, nearly 4 years here at Ccom and I still don't know how to make a link clickable so if you know how please do so lol.

http://fredminnick.com/bourbon-shortage-four-roses-ends-limited-edition-single-barrel/
    Thanks a fn lot!!!! KILL THE MESSENGER!!!!!!lol
  • Options
    The Kid:
    90+ Irishman:

I think yall have been doing a damn good job at trying the past week or two lol.
  • Options
    90+ Irishman:

Clickable Link
  • Options
    90+ Irishman:
    The Kid:
    90+ Irishman:

I think yall have been doing a damn good job at trying the past week or two lol.
    haha, just kidding. Yea sad news!!!! Thanks for keeping us informed
  • Options
    Ken Light:
    90+ Irishman:

Clickable Link
    Thanks Ken you rock!