Home Non Cigar Related

The Bourbon and Whiskey Thread

Comments

• D_FreshD_Fresh Posts: 610 ✭✭✭
    Anyone have any Parker's Heritage? Just had the 2013 Promise of Hope and I absolutely loved it. Have always heard good things about the Parker's Heritage releases but never jumped on them since I am usually saving up for the BTAC/Pappy releases. I know it's different each year but this year's release will definitely be on my radar. If anyone has some of this, I'm extremely jealous.
  • JHeweyJHewey Posts: 2,421 ✭✭✭
    D Fresh:
    Anyone have any Parker's Heritage? Just had the 2013 Promise of Hope and I absolutely loved it. Have always heard good things about the Parker's Heritage releases but never jumped on them since I am usually saving up for the BTAC/Pappy releases. I know it's different each year but this year's release will definitely be on my radar. If anyone has some of this, I'm extremely jealous.
    I been on the lookout for some. Unfortunately the last one I found the guy wanted $150+. And I can't justify that. I can justify the retail price of it. Which I think is still a hefty $99 (give or take)
    JHewey:
    D Fresh:
    I been on the lookout for some. Unfortunately the last one I found the guy wanted $150+. And I can't justify that. I can justify the retail price of it. Which I think is still a hefty $99 (give or take)
    Yeah, retail is supposed to be $90 I think but that doesn't mean much once it hits stores. On the surface it seems steep for a roughly 10 year whiskey but when I've tried some 20+ year old whiskey from Orphan Barrel that is around the same price, the 2013 offering blows those out of the water. That might not be the best comparison but given the rising costs of bourbon these days, the Parker's seems worth the money in my opinion.
  • JHeweyJHewey Posts: 2,421 ✭✭✭
    D Fresh:
    JHewey:
    D Fresh:
    Yeah, retail is supposed to be $90 I think but that doesn't mean much once it hits stores. On the surface it seems steep for a roughly 10 year whiskey but when I've tried some 20+ year old whiskey from Orphan Barrel that is around the same price, the 2013 offering blows those out of the water. That might not be the best comparison but given the rising costs of bourbon these days, the Parker's seems worth the money in my opinion.
    I have never heard anything bad about them. So yeah I would pay around $100 for a bottle (because the way the drink. It would last me a year or so) but now to find a bottle. Lol. The most I every paid for a bottle so far was $72. And that was a bottle of Lot B.
  • Jetmech_63Jetmech_63 Posts: 3,451 ✭✭✭
    photo 4D22A2BF-4F29-4138-AE09-ADB57F0396AB.jpgNew pick up. Will try later
    JHewey:
    D Fresh:
    JHewey:
    D Fresh:
    I have never heard anything bad about them. So yeah I would pay around $100 for a bottle (because the way the drink. It would last me a year or so) but now to find a bottle. Lol. The most I every paid for a bottle so far was $72. And that was a bottle of Lot B.
    First of all, that's a great price these days for the Lot B. I think I paid $75 and was extremely happy with that price. Without doing a side to side comparison, I think I would take the Parker's Heritage over the Lot B. Granted taste is subjective, I can only speak to the 2013 release of the PH, and it could be just the fact that I just had it. I might have to pour some Lot B and come back to this post though.
  • Ken_LightKen_Light Posts: 3,537 ✭✭✭
    D Fresh:
    Ken Light:
    90+ Irishman:
    D Fresh:
    jgibv:
    90+ Irishman:
    Willett is set to release soon an unaged "White Lightening" whiskey from an "old family recipe" from the pre-prohibition days. Could be interesting but I suspect it will hurt a lot hahaha.... http://bourbonr.com/blog/willett-release-unaged-whiskey/
    i'm sure it'll f** you up good lol....
    not a huge fan of the white whiskeys though --- only had a few but none of them stuck out to me
    I'm with you here. I have no interest. Maybe if I had a small oak barrel that I could then age it in I would be interested. Not sure I would have the patience to wait another 2-10 years for it to come of age.
    +100
    Those small barrels only take months, not years, because so much of the spirit is in contact with the wood at all times. Really speeds things up. I dig the white dog though yeah it's rough but it's good.
    Hmmm, that has me a little more interested. Any idea what the comparison for months/years would be in the smaller barrel? 1 month = 1 year?
    That's a real good question, I'll have to see if I can find the answer somewhere or find out how to do the math myself.
    ^Troll: DO NOT FEED.
    So, as I expected, "it depends." And it depends on the size of the small barrel: the smaller the small barrel, the faster the aging (duh, that was the whole principle to being with, right?)

So the smallest small barrels are ~1L and for those it takes 1.9 months to get to the same point as one of the big barrels would get after a year. BUT, and there is a huge but here, apparently that's true only for some aspects of aging. To get real depth of flavor, imparted by the sugars in the wood, you can't speed up time. What's sped up better is color and smoky flavor. That was the result of an experiment into smaller barrel aging (not 1L small, but more like craft-scale small) by Buffalo Trace, who considered the resultant whiskey a failure.
    Ken Light:
    So, as I expected, "it depends." And it depends on the size of the small barrel: the smaller the small barrel, the faster the aging (duh, that was the whole principle to being with, right?)

So the smallest small barrels are ~1L and for those it takes 1.9 months to get to the same point as one of the big barrels would get after a year. BUT, and there is a huge but here, apparently that's true only for some aspects of aging. To get real depth of flavor, imparted by the sugars in the wood, you can't speed up time. What's sped up better is color and smoky flavor. That was the result of an experiment into smaller barrel aging (not 1L small, but more like craft-scale small) by Buffalo Trace, who considered the resultant whiskey a failure.
    Interesting...thanks for the info. Doesn't sound like I'll be jumping at that Willett and a small barrel. Would have been fun but don't think I would have the patience for something that might come out as a bad product
  • 90+_Irishman90+_Irishman Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Really interesting stuff Gang thanks for talking and sharing all this! I agree that while it would be very cool and a lot of fun to start with some White Lightening and get your own barrel to age it, that's a big up front cost for something that very likely won't turn out the way you want etc. very neat topic and idea though!
    "When walking in open territory bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask them to stop. If they do not stop, destroy them."
  • amz1301amz1301 Posts: 1,299
    Found some four roses private barrel selection today. OESK barrel strength, think 9.5 yrs if anyone is looking for this one. $55. I was going to pick one up but I still haven't tried the four roses I already have. Place is about an hour from me so probably wouldn't be able to get there till next weekend.
    Thanks for the heads up Andy awfully kind of you! I don't think you'd be sorry for grabbing it yourself but I do suggest you crack into your unmolested four roses bottle soon all the same lol.
    "When walking in open territory bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask them to stop. If they do not stop, destroy them."
    D Fresh:
    Ken Light:

Interesting...thanks for the info. Doesn't sound like I'll be jumping at that Willett and a small barrel. Would have been fun but don't think I would have the patience for something that might come out as a bad product
    I've done it and I wouldn't call the result bad. I think in the case of Buffalo Trace they were hoping for a shortcut to a fantastic product and it fell short of that. It's definitely better to age it in the traditional method. But as long as you don't expect to transform white dog into a 12 year old whiskey in a year, it's really cool to see the process first-hand. If you PM me your address, I'll try to figure out a way to get you a sample of JD unaged and my small cask aged stuff so you can see first-hand if it would be interesting enough to do. Long-term, my plan is to do this multiple times with that same barrel to get some good whisky flavor in the wood and then use it to barrel condition some homebrew. My friend and I brew a good brown ale that I think would be awesome to do it with.
    Ken Light:
    D Fresh:
    Ken Light:

I've done it and I wouldn't call the result bad. I think in the case of Buffalo Trace they were hoping for a shortcut to a fantastic product and it fell short of that. It's definitely better to age it in the traditional method. But as long as you don't expect to transform white dog into a 12 year old whiskey in a year, it's really cool to see the process first-hand. If you PM me your address, I'll try to figure out a way to get you a sample of JD unaged and my small cask aged stuff so you can see first-hand if it would be interesting enough to do. Long-term, my plan is to do this multiple times with that same barrel to get some good whisky flavor in the wood and then use it to barrel condition some homebrew. My friend and I brew a good brown ale that I think would be awesome to do it with.
    Ken that sounds outstanding, hadn't even thought of the home brew route and that is tenuous bro definitely let us know! Your generosity continues to amaze me bro thanks for the offer but keep experimenting and let us know, I may just try this myself soonish if I can put together the funds.
    90+ Irishman:
    Ken Light:
    D Fresh:
    Ken Light:

Ken that sounds outstanding, hadn't even thought of the home brew route and that is tenuous bro definitely let us know! Your generosity continues to amaze me bro thanks for the offer but keep experimenting and let us know, I may just try this myself soonish if I can put together the funds.
    Do you know where I can get those little bottles that are being used for the liquid pass? And did/do you sanitize them first?
    Ken Light:
    90+ Irishman:
    Ken Light:
    D Fresh:
    Ken Light:

Do you know where I can get those little bottles that are being used for the liquid pass? And did/do you sanitize them first?
    http://www.homebrewing.org/50-ml-Glass-Liqueur-Bottle-12-ct_p_4032.html

This is where I got mine. I do disinfect when I get them
    D Fresh:
    Ken Light:
    90+ Irishman:
    Ken Light:
    D Fresh:
    Ken Light:

LoL Doesn't give up address, does link me to ammo.
    Ken Light:
    D Fresh:
    Ken Light:
    90+ Irishman:
    Ken Light:
    D Fresh:
    Ken Light:

LOL, I don't need anything! But if you want to hit others...I'm all for helping that :) Like this...

D Fresh:
    Ken Light:
    D Fresh:
    Ken Light:
    90+ Irishman:
    Ken Light:
    D Fresh:
    Ken Light:

LOL, I don't need anything! But if you want to hit others...I'm all for helping that :) Like this...

Stop conspiring dammit!
  • HaybletHayblet Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭
    Booze bomb Brett?
    D Fresh:
    Ken Light:
    D Fresh:
    Ken Light:
    90+ Irishman:
    Ken Light:
    D Fresh:
    Ken Light:

If you keep digging this hole, you're gonna need a new shovel...I'm sure someone's gonna toss you under a bus anyway.
    Ken Light:
    D Fresh:
    Ken Light:
    D Fresh:
    Ken Light:
    90+ Irishman:
    Ken Light:
    D Fresh:
    Ken Light:

If you keep digging this hole, you're gonna need a new shovel...I'm sure someone's gonna toss you under a bus anyway.
    Ha! You getting used to that. It will probably be the person receiving those bottles. But at least he'll soon know I don't take this *** lying down LOL
    D Fresh:
    Ken Light:
    D Fresh:
    Ken Light:
    D Fresh:
    Ken Light:
    90+ Irishman:
    Ken Light:
    D Fresh:
    Ken Light:

Ha! You getting used to that. It will probably be the person receiving those bottles. But at least he'll soon know I don't take this *** lying down LOL
    I'm going to go live in a hole for a while... All yall are drinking the Kool-Aid and chanting "One of us"..... Ken I will happily help out in any way I can and happy to find out where those vials come from and shoot you that info. Let me know how I can help you bro, really like your home brew and barrel aging idea and want to see that succeed for you!
    90+ Irishman:
    I'm going to go live in a hole for a while... All yall are drinking the Kool-Aid and chanting "One of us"..... Ken I will happily help out in any way I can and happy to find out where those vials come from and shoot you that info. Let me know how I can help you bro, really like your home brew and barrel aging idea and want to see that succeed for you!
    Hey I told him where I got my bottles from. I'm not chanting anything :)
  • amz1301amz1301 Posts: 1,299
    Looking at some pipe tobacco and came across this. Never seen this before. Lot of work though.

• Rob1110Rob1110 Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭
    I've done some smoked cocktails in the past. I use a similar method but have created an "artificial lung" using a pipe and turkey baster. I pack some pipe tobacco, light and use the baster to puff. Once it's going, I use a dedicated decanter that's only used for smoked cocktails - place it, upside down over the pipe and fill it with smoke. Cap that decanter, mix your cocktail in your mixer, strain it into the decanter and give it one quick shake. Pour that into your glass and you've got a smoked cocktail. The smoke in the decanter will usually last for 2-3 cocktails if you're careful when pouring.
  • jd50aejd50ae Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Going to the liquor store tomorrow. It is "Senior Discount Wednesday" and I hope to buy a bunch of miniatures of all the stuff you guys have been posting. I will also get (if they have it) a bottle of "Small Batch" Four Roses. This is your fault for bringing back some really good memories. Thank you.
    jd50ae:
    Going to the liquor store tomorrow. It is "Senior Discount Wednesday" and I hope to buy a bunch of miniatures of all the stuff you guys have been posting. I will also get (if they have it) a bottle of "Small Batch" Four Roses. This is your fault for bringing back some really good memories. Thank you.
    Sounds great JD enjoy, I love that Four Roses for sure!
  • jd50aejd50ae Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
    90+ Irishman:
    jd50ae:

• Gray4linesGray4lines Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    jd50ae:
    90+ Irishman:
    jd50ae:

Nice!
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America