The Bourbon and Whiskey Thread

Comments

• Options
    Gray4linesGray4lines Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    90+ Irishman:
    0patience:
    D Fresh:
    0patience:
    Since this thread is up, I have a question for those bourbon drinkers.
    I know very little about bourbon, for that matter any whiskey, as I rarely drink.
    But last night, the wife and I watched a show called Bourbontucky. Kind of interesting and they showed a bourbon in a cool bottle called Blanton's Single Barrel. Evidently they are affiliated with Buffalo Trace.

I'm a sucker for cool bottles, but I also like to sip the liquor every once in a while, so has anyone ever had Blanton's?
    It's not a terrible price, about $45-50 bottle. But it's a single barrel, so I have to take that into consideration.

Anyways, I was curious what the bourbon drinkers thought of it.

Since I am on the mend, I'm considering a toast to myself. LOL!
    I like Blanton's and would definitely recommend it. If you like cool bottles, the Willett Pot Still is another good bourbon for roughly the same cost
    That Willet Pot Still bottle is really cool looking. Very interesting.
    My problem is that when I buy liquor, I'm a visual buyer. More often than not, the bottle will sit for quite some time before it gets opened. So the visual appeal of it is as much of a factor as the liquor for me.
    Thanks for posting that one. I like it.
    Both the Willet and the Blantons are awesome bottles and great drinks, wouldn't be disappointed with either! I would also throw in Angel's Envy in to your list, same price typical a beautiful bottle AND a delish dram!
    Blanton in on my list to try. I keep trying more of the Buffalo trace offerings and really like em all! Eagle rare, buffalo trace, eh taylor... it is a little pricey though. But pretty famous
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • Options
    buffalodavebuffalodave Posts: 29
    90+ Irishman:
    buffalodave:
    I have recently purchased and am out of or almost out of the following...Elijah Craig 12, Glenmorangie 12 & Yamazaki 12 1- any recommendation for similar priced/styles. Very new to scotch, bourbon and whiskey but have really enjoyed them 2-any recommendation for a scotch that's a step up but won't kill the bank account? Maybe like $60-80 Thanks guys!
    Yeah, congrats Dave first off and hope these help! For the Elijah Craig I would point you to the Eagle Rare 10 year Single Barrel, or the Four Roses Small Batch. All three of those are pretty much the same price point and same quality and delish etc. As for the Glenmorangie, I would point you to Macallan 10 year fine oak or 12 year, bit more expensive but not too much and I think you will like it much much better than the Glenmorangie. The Yamazaki 12 is terrific and a great example of Japanese whiskey that I love, try out the Hibiki 12 year for similar but different ;)

As for the 2nd one on scotch, on the cheaper side for very smokey and peaty would be Highland Park 12 year, for more expensive but much better I would say Talker 10 year for smoky and peaty again. On the expensive side but one of the best scotches and values out there I would say the Lagavulin 16 year (I think it is 16 year lol) for around $80-100 depending on where you are and sales etc. I also would once again point you in the Macallan 12 year realm, or the Balvenie 12 year Doublewood or the 14 year Caribbean Cask. Or my personal fav (its a smokey peaty guy again which is what I like) would be the Cragganmoore 12 year, that is the one that made me fall in love with scotch in the first place!

Happy hunting and best of luck!!!! Cheers
    Thanks Irish for your help - Are all the scotch's in the second paragraph "peaty". I ask only because a buddy who got me into scotch does not like that style, and any of his I have tried I like...so I am not sure if I have had any that are overly peaty. I am just a little nervous about buying an entire bottle Thanks brotha
  • Options
    buffalodave:
    90+ Irishman:
    buffalodave:
    I have recently purchased and am out of or almost out of the following...Elijah Craig 12, Glenmorangie 12 & Yamazaki 12 1- any recommendation for similar priced/styles. Very new to scotch, bourbon and whiskey but have really enjoyed them 2-any recommendation for a scotch that's a step up but won't kill the bank account? Maybe like $60-80 Thanks guys!
    Yeah, congrats Dave first off and hope these help! For the Elijah Craig I would point you to the Eagle Rare 10 year Single Barrel, or the Four Roses Small Batch. All three of those are pretty much the same price point and same quality and delish etc. As for the Glenmorangie, I would point you to Macallan 10 year fine oak or 12 year, bit more expensive but not too much and I think you will like it much much better than the Glenmorangie. The Yamazaki 12 is terrific and a great example of Japanese whiskey that I love, try out the Hibiki 12 year for similar but different ;)

As for the 2nd one on scotch, on the cheaper side for very smokey and peaty would be Highland Park 12 year, for more expensive but much better I would say Talker 10 year for smoky and peaty again. On the expensive side but one of the best scotches and values out there I would say the Lagavulin 16 year (I think it is 16 year lol) for around $80-100 depending on where you are and sales etc. I also would once again point you in the Macallan 12 year realm, or the Balvenie 12 year Doublewood or the 14 year Caribbean Cask. Or my personal fav (its a smokey peaty guy again which is what I like) would be the Cragganmoore 12 year, that is the one that made me fall in love with scotch in the first place!

Thanks Irish for your help - Are all the scotch's in the second paragraph "peaty". I ask only because a buddy who got me into scotch does not like that style, and any of his I have tried I like...so I am not sure if I have had any that are overly peaty. I am just a little nervous about buying an entire bottle Thanks brotha
    The talisker 10 is a little smokey. I think more hickory than peat. My favorite scotch so far. The lagavulin is peaty. The balvenies are not smokey at all. Doublewood is awesome, honey and fruity And I've heard carribean cask is very good. I haven't had the others Brett mentioned, but he won't steer you wrong.

Go grab some ounce pours at a bar! Fun way to find what you like.
  • Options
    Ken_LightKen_Light Posts: 3,537 ✭✭✭
    0patience:
    I've looked at the Angel's Envy. I really liked the look of it.
    Now I've got 3 ideas of cool bottles and recommended liquors.
    Come this summer, I may have to start looking for them. I know the local has the Blanton's.
    If you want a cool bottle, a scotch (not bourbon, sorry, don't throw me off the thread) called Sheep Dip has a version that comes with a place to put the bottle that looks kinda like a barrel lined in sheep skin. And the scotch isn't half bad either.
    ^Troll: DO NOT FEED.
  • Options
    D_FreshD_Fresh Posts: 610 ✭✭✭
    Gray4lines:
    90+ Irishman:
    0patience:
    D Fresh:
    0patience:
    I know very little about bourbon, for that matter any whiskey, as I rarely drink.
    But last night, the wife and I watched a show called Bourbontucky. Kind of interesting and they showed a bourbon in a cool bottle called Blanton's Single Barrel. Evidently they are affiliated with Buffalo Trace.

I'm a sucker for cool bottles, but I also like to sip the liquor every once in a while, so has anyone ever had Blanton's?
    It's not a terrible price, about $45-50 bottle. But it's a single barrel, so I have to take that into consideration.

I like Blanton's and would definitely recommend it. If you like cool bottles, the Willett Pot Still is another good bourbon for roughly the same cost
    My problem is that when I buy liquor, I'm a visual buyer. More often than not, the bottle will sit for quite some time before it gets opened. So the visual appeal of it is as much of a factor as the liquor for me.
    Both the Willet and the Blantons are awesome bottles and great drinks, wouldn't be disappointed with either! I would also throw in Angel's Envy in to your list, same price typical a beautiful bottle AND a delish dram!
    Blanton in on my list to try. I keep trying more of the Buffalo trace offerings and really like em all! Eagle rare, buffalo trace, eh taylor... it is a little pricey though. But pretty famous
    +1 I like almost everything Buffalo Trace. I also don't think Heaven Hill has a bourbon I don't enjoy.
  • Options
    90+_Irishman90+_Irishman Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭✭
    buffalodave:
    90+ Irishman:
    buffalodave:

No problem Dave, as Gray said many if those are smoke and peat but anything from Macallan or the Balvenie's that i mentioned arent and would treat you very well!
    "When walking in open territory bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask them to stop. If they do not stop, destroy them."
  • Options
    Ken Light:
    0patience:
    I've looked at the Angel's Envy. I really liked the look of it.
    Now I've got 3 ideas of cool bottles and recommended liquors.
    Come this summer, I may have to start looking for them. I know the local has the Blanton's.
    If you want a cool bottle, a scotch (not bourbon, sorry, don't throw me off the thread) called Sheep Dip has a version that comes with a place to put the bottle that looks kinda like a barrel lined in sheep skin. And the scotch isn't half bad either.
    Awesome sounds cool will have to check that out thanks Ken :)
    "When walking in open territory bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask them to stop. If they do not stop, destroy them."
  • Options
    D Fresh:
    Gray4lines:
    90+ Irishman:
    0patience:
    D Fresh:
    0patience:

+1 I like almost everything Buffalo Trace. I also don't think Heaven Hill has a bourbon I don't enjoy.
    So far I would have to agree I love BT stuff as well as the little Heaven Hill i have had
  • Options
    90+ Irishman:
    D Fresh:
    Gray4lines:
    90+ Irishman:
    0patience:
    D Fresh:
    0patience:

So far I would have to agree I love BT stuff as well as the little Heaven Hill i have had
    I've never had anything from heaven hill. They are a pretty big distillery, aren't they?
  • Options
    D_FreshD_Fresh Posts: 610 ✭✭✭
    Gray4lines:
    90+ Irishman:
    D Fresh:
    Gray4lines:
    90+ Irishman:
    0patience:
    D Fresh:
    0patience:

I've never had anything from heaven hill. They are a pretty big distillery, aren't they?
    Yes. They make Evan Williams, Elijah Craig, Rittenhouse, Larceny, Bernheim, Parkers Heritage and more. Lots of good stuff in my opinion!
  • Options
    0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    D Fresh:
    Yes. They make Evan Williams, Elijah Craig, Rittenhouse, Larceny, Bernheim, Parkers Heritage and more. Lots of good stuff in my opinion!
    Not knowing a lot about liquors, I do like Evan Williams, Knob Creek and Buffalo Trace.
    To me, Evan Williams is a pretty under-rated bourbon.
    I hate to admit it, but their Honey bourbon and Cinnamon bourbon are very good.
    In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
  • Options
    0patience:
    D Fresh:
    Not knowing a lot about liquors, I do like Evan Williams, Knob Creek and Buffalo Trace.
    There is nothing wrong with flavored whiskey at all it simply isnt what many of us reach for is all, i honest to god like the Jack Tennessee Honey to sip on from time to time very smooth and sweet. Its my version of whiskey candy haha
  • Options
    90+ Irishman:
    0patience:
    D Fresh:
    There is nothing wrong with flavored whiskey at all it simply isnt what many of us reach for is all, i honest to god like the Jack Tennessee Honey to sip on from time to time very smooth and sweet. Its my version of whiskey candy haha
    I go between Jack Daniel's Honey and Evan Williams Honey.
    To me, the Evan Williams is a little smoother. The Jack Daniel's Honey has that distinct Jack Daniel's bite that I have to be in the mood for, if that makes any sense.
    In Fumo Pax

Wylaff said:
  • Options
    0patience:
    90+ Irishman:
    0patience:
    D Fresh:
    I go between Jack Daniel's Honey and Evan Williams Honey.
    To me, the Evan Williams is a little smoother. The Jack Daniel's Honey has that distinct Jack Daniel's bite that I have to be in the mood for, if that makes any sense.
    I know what you mean about the JD, any JD product has a destinct JD "taste" its a specific sour mash corn bite dont know how to say it better but i get what you mean. To me i like that but i also dont like to drink JD nightly, hence why i like that bite because i dont have it super frequently.
  • Options
    rsherman24rsherman24 Posts: 6,779 ✭✭✭✭✭
    90+ Irishman:
    i honest to god like the Jack Tennessee Honey to sip on from time to time very smooth and sweet. Its my version of whiskey candy haha

You smoke a Java Mint or a Moontrace while you are sipping on it?
  • Options
    rsherman24:
    90+ Irishman:
    i honest to god like the Jack Tennessee Honey to sip on from time to time very smooth and sweet. Its my version of whiskey candy haha

Definitely Moontrance or Torano 1916. LOL!
    In Fumo Pax

Wylaff said:
  • Options
    rsherman24rsherman24 Posts: 6,779 ✭✭✭✭✭
    0patience:
    rsherman24:
    90+ Irishman:

you are OK Tony, but no excuse for Brett
  • Options
    rsherman24:
    0patience:
    rsherman24:
    90+ Irishman:

you are OK Tony, but no excuse for Brett
    Lol no i havent had an infused stick in years I simply dont reach for them lol
  • Options
    The_KidThe_Kid Posts: 7,869 ✭✭✭
    Anyone ever been to Whiskeyfest? Really thinking bout going to the one upcoming in SF. They released the tasting list for the Chicago event,,, check it out here...
    http://whiskyadvocate.com/events/whiskyfest-chicago/whiskyfest-chicago-whisky-list/

Heres some other gtr articles. Enjoy,,,(the Blue hanger is definitely on my wtt list)
    http://whiskyadvocate.com/whisky/2015/02/09/whisky-advocates-spring-2015-issues-top-10-whiskies-reviewed/

http://whiskyadvocate.com/whisky/2015/02/06/latest-discus-numbers-confirm-whiskey-growth-still-strong/

http://food52.com/recipes/10252-sugar-steak-with-bourbon
  • Options
    jimmyv723jimmyv723 Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭
    Ken Light 3K MOW Badge - 8/14
    2015 Gang War - East Coast
    Enola Gay - Target #29

• Options
    Edna20Edna20 Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dude, I was just looking for this thread, thanks for bumping it for me!! I just got an email about Prichard's Double Chocolate Bourbon. Um, yes please!!!
    Team O'Donnell FTW!
  • Options
    roland_7707roland_7707 Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭
    Edna20:
    Dude, I was just looking for this thread, thanks for bumping it for me!! I just got an email about Prichard's Double Chocolate Bourbon. Um, yes please!!!
    Was that from Caskers?
    One God, One Truth
  • Options
    jimmyv723jimmyv723 Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭
    Lol no problem and it was all the way back on Page 4. I got that email too and if you do get it let us know how it is.
    Ken Light 3K MOW Badge - 8/14
    2015 Gang War - East Coast
    Enola Gay - Target #29

• Options
    roland_7707:
    Edna20:
    Was that from Caskers?

Yes, from Caskers. I showed my husband and told him I want it. I didn't see him take out his phone to add it to the gift ideas for Kelly list though :) He's pretty good at remembering this stuff, so he'll probably add it at some point. I am definitely going to keep my eye out for it. Or maybe just order it online. Our county sucks for finding good liquor. We found a liquor store in DC by our office, but their prices can be a bit off the mark. Like they want $149.99 for a bottle of Stagg Jr. that retails for about $49.99 in most places. They have a crazy select though. Four Roses Single Barrel LE 2014 (299.99), and a lot of Pappy (um, like 1999.99 a bottle). We're actually thinking of asking about the Stagg Jr. to see if that's a mistake or if he'd be willing to sell it at a cheaper, much cheaper, price.
    Team O'Donnell FTW!
  • Options
    Yeah, it looked good. They had a Jameson Black Barrel Reserve for under $40 the other day that I thought about jumping on. We live out in the sticks in a dry county so finding a good selection close can be a pain.
    One God, One Truth
  • Options
    CrouseferCrousefer Posts: 445 ✭✭
    I just want to see someone walking out with a full barrel of jack and 100 bottles of coke http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/3964132
  • Options
    Crousefer:
    I just want to see someone walking out with a full barrel of jack and 100 bottles of coke http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/3964132
    Beahahahahaha hell yeah!!
  • Options
    What type of glasses do yall drink out of? Do you have specific glasses for different types?
    One God, One Truth
  • Options
    roland_7707:
    What type of glasses do yall drink out of? Do you have specific glasses for different types?

Well, the other day my husband was using a red solo cup ;) Ok, he was shoveling and I'm guessing didn't want to break a glass. I just have rocks glasses. I know Brett uses Glencairn glasses (you can get them on Amazon). I think I'm going to order some soon.
    Team O'Donnell FTW!
  • Options
    CrouseferCrousefer Posts: 445 ✭✭
    seen alot of glencairn glasses in my local store they arnt too expensive. between 8-12 a peice. I tend to use low ball glasses honestly,