Home Non Cigar Related
Options

The Bourbon and Whiskey Thread

Comments

• Options
    KeiranKeiran Posts: 22 ✭✭
    Mostly a Japanese Whiskey guy myself. Always have a bottle of Hibiki 12 year on hand (kudos to 90+_Irishman for giving the Hibiki a mention in that great list). The Hibiki 17 year is even better but it is not sold normally Stateside so I am cherishing my current bottle a little too much.

A few others worth mentioning. The Hakushu 12 year is okay. I prefer using it in mixes now that I have the bottle. A little drop in Coke is really good (don't buy a $65 bottle just for Coke). The Yamazaki 12 year is okay, very standard whiskey. Ichiro's Malt also makes some good whiskeys but I can't get any here. Need to make a trip to Japan to pick some up.

Next on my list is the Oban 14 year once I find one in the local liquor stores (curse you Utah!). Thank you Irishman for your write up, gives me some recommends to try out as well.
  • Options
    bigharpoonbigharpoon Posts: 2,963 ✭✭✭
    No pics but I just made my way through a Lagavulin 16. Wow! That was one tasty bottle. I believe it has knocked my beloved Don Julio 1942 down to second place and taken over as my favorite drink.

I got myself a Laphroaig 10 for Christmas. Also very tasty and less expensive than the Lagavulin. Pretty happy with the peats during winter.
  • Options
    Big''nBall''nBig''nBall''n Posts: 767 ✭✭✭✭
    what the most notable difference in Japanese whiskey vs regular and how dose it compare to bourbons? 
    The Names Ball'n.... Big'nBall'n! 
  • Options
    Big''nBall''nBig''nBall''n Posts: 767 ✭✭✭✭
    btw i'm not that familiar with whiskeys or bourbons 
    The Names Ball'n.... Big'nBall'n! 
  • Options
    jimmyv723jimmyv723 Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭
    Still pretty new to the Bourbon and Whiskey world myself but one thing I have learned is that with Bourbons it's a very regulated process. It has to be put into new barrels, which is why you see so many other stuff like Scotch and even beer use the Bourbon barrels since they can only use them once for Bourbon. Has to consist of at least 51% Corn I believe and that's why you'll see Rye Whiskey and Wheat Whiskeys because they have the higher content of those as opposed to corn like Bourbon. 
    Ken Light 3K MOW Badge - 8/14
    2015 Gang War - East Coast
    Enola Gay - Target #29

• Options
    WylaffWylaff Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Over Christmas we had Hibiki 12 year that tastes identical to Kilbeggan 18 year at half the cost. Just throughout it out there for y'all
    "Cooking isn't about struggling; It's about pleasure. It's like sǝx, with a wider variety of sauces."

At any given time the urge to sing "In The Jungle" is just a whim away... A whim away... A whim away...
  • Options
    blutattooblutattoo Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭
    YankeeMan said:
    I need a little help.  I was in Louisville, KY a few weeks back and went to a cigar lounge/bar over the river in Indiana, called Matches/Riverside which was suggested by a member here and I had a great time.

I am not a bourbon drinker but being in the heart of bourbon country, I had to give it a try.  So I explained to the bartender my whisky preferences and asked him to give me something he thought I would like.  He did exactly that and since he finished the bottle, he gave me the cap, which was a cork with a small pewter racehorse on top.  He showed me that there was a small letter stamped into the base.  In this case it was an "A".

He said that if you get all the caps with all the letters of the brand, it would look like a horse race, as each horse was in a little different pose.  Now the problem, the brand began with a "C" and had several letters.  As I mentioned, I had a really good time and now I can't remember the brand. 

If any of you are familiar with this brand, please let me know what it is.  Thanks.
    @YankeeManThat sounds like Blanton's single barrel.  It's a very nice bourbon, I think usually $60ish for a bottle.

This is my favorite bourbon not van winkle. I was actually turned onto this by the show.
  • Options
    jarublajarubla Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wylaff said:
    Over Christmas we had Hibiki 12 year that tastes identical to Kilbeggan 18 year at half the cost. Just throughout it out there for y'all
    I like the Hibiki 12, the Hibiki 17 is downright amazing
    “There’ll be two dates on your tombstone and all your friends will read ’em but all that’s gonna matter is that little dash between ’em.” -Kevin Welch
  • Options
    Usaf06Usaf06 Posts: 11,016 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Haven't had any Japanese whisky. Definitely gonna try
    "I drink a great deal. I sleep a little, and I smoke cigar after cigar. That is why I am in two-hundred-percent form."
    -- Winston Churchill

"LET'S GO FRANCIS"     Peter

• Options
    Do it, Nick!

Picked up a bottle of this tonight
    “There’ll be two dates on your tombstone and all your friends will read ’em but all that’s gonna matter is that little dash between ’em.” -Kevin Welch
  • Options
    rsherman24rsherman24 Posts: 6,808 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Have been eyeing the Japanese whiskey at the store.  Would you compare it to a bourbon, Irish, or Scotch?  Not familiar with the aging process.  
  • Options
    I think it tastes very similar to Irish.
    "Cooking isn't about struggling; It's about pleasure. It's like sǝx, with a wider variety of sauces."

At any given time the urge to sing "In The Jungle" is just a whim away... A whim away... A whim away...
  • Options
    Have been eyeing the Japanese whiskey at the store.  Would you compare it to a bourbon, Irish, or Scotch?  Not familiar with the aging process.  
    Sherm, check out some YouTube reviews (great info).

Their site just makes me thirsty!

http://whisky.suntory.com/products/hibiki/
  • Options
    KeiranKeiran Posts: 22 ✭✭
    jarubla said:
    Sherm, check out some YouTube reviews (great info).

Their site just makes me thirsty!

http://whisky.suntory.com/products/hibiki/
    Japanese whiskey is closest to Scotch if you are looking for comparisons. Less peaty than scotch though, so I understand the comparison to Irish as well. They use very similar/same techniques. Whiskey in Japan was started by Taketsuru and his Scottish wife. Taketsuru  had studied whiskey in Scotland, hence the Scottish influence. The Japanese side is the effort they put into making a whiskey harmonious. They try to balance out every section of the whiskey so it flows from the moment it hits your tongue to the back end of the finish. It's probably why the Hibki has won so many awards. The Hibiki is the culmination of their goal for a harmonious Whiskey.

For the tastes, very bright. Many people find fruity notes in their whiskeys. The Hibiki 12 and 17 year always make me think of a pristine tundra for some reason. That, and citrus notes, orange and yuzu (think mandarin orange with grapefruit) in particular. Not all that peaty. Definitely a big recommend from me.

If you like peat, I would suggest the Hakushu or the Yamazaki. The Hakushu has the strongest peat profile. Not my cup of tea but I certainly enjoy using that smokiness for mixes or cooking recipes. The Yamazaki is Suntory's main line and is a good whiskey as well.
  • Options
    rsherman24rsherman24 Posts: 6,808 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cool, I will have to try the Hibiki 12.  I have not gotten a taste for the peaty scotch yet, so this sounds like a good balance.  Thanks
  • Options
    I thought a Japanese company purchased Jim Beam a while back. The Japanese are whisky lovers
    "I drink a great deal. I sleep a little, and I smoke cigar after cigar. That is why I am in two-hundred-percent form."
    -- Winston Churchill

• Options
    Picked up the Jamesons last night and put a small dent in it :D. The TX whisky a buddy had arranged a family memeber bring it from Texas for me. Looked for it here but came up empty. Anyone had it yet?
    -- Winston Churchill

• Options
    Usaf06 said:
    Picked up the Jamesons last night and put a small dent in it :D. The TX whisky a buddy had arranged a family memeber bring it from Texas for me. Looked for it here but came up empty. Anyone had it yet?
    Forgot pic image
    -- Winston Churchill

• Options
    Nick for sure, these guys own Beam
  • Options
    @Usaf06 how's that Jameson?
  • Options
    For the price I quite enjoy that one.

• Options
    It's pretty good Jay. Smooth 
    -- Winston Churchill

• Options
    Had a whisky tasting yesterday evening at work. New colleagues from Ireland brought some good local stuff.

Gotta find a way to get the Connemara. Dios Mio!
  • Options
    peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,519 ✭✭✭✭✭
    We have Green Spot around here, ~$44, and I like it.
    "I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
  • Options
    "Only small quantities of Green Spot are bottled each year. No real reason why. Drink some more and we'll bottle more."

That came off their website and made me guffaw.

• Options
    peter4jc said:
    We have Green Spot around here, ~$44, and I like it.
    Agreed, definitely delicious. I'd put it on point with Redbreast
  • Options
    I was glad to see a few of these still in the wild, so I picked up a bottle 

• Options
    BTTT

• Options
    edited February 2016
    Let's try this again (the picture thing)

I picked up a bottle of Booker's and a bottle of Tomintoul 16 on Thursday. The Booker's is pretty damn amazing. About to open the Speyside and give it a try

(edit, got it to work!!)
    Post edited by jarubla on
  • Options
    Well, poop. No idea why not uploading...