Home Ratings & Reviews
Options

Love the Gurkhas

Comments

• Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    madurofan:
    Will your chili make a grown man cry?
    if i make it yes. If my wife makes it... not so much.
  • Options
    madurofanmadurofan Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭
    I was just being an antagonist. I've never actually had Cincinnati chili, whats typically in it?
  • Options
    dutyjedutyje Posts: 2,263
    madurofan:
    Will your chili make a grown man cry?
    Well, that all depends on the peppers. Through an ordering mistake at a Mexican restaurant last year, I came to learn first hand that the heat of a pepper will vary dramatically from one to the next, even from the same hand-picked batch from the same species. I tweaked and perfected the recipe for about 8 years, and finally settled it down a few years ago. Although slight changes get made from time to time to spice things up (har har). I made two batches of identical recipes in December and January this year, and the second batch ended up outrageously hot, whereas the December batch was a bit sweeter and only hot-chili hot.

I get lots of feedback that the chili is very spicy. I love spicy food, but I don't care for the sensation that my mouth is going to spontaneously combust. Also, as I age, I'm finding that the spicy food levies a far greater effect on the disposal side than on the supply side. Now that I've perfected the recipe, I find myself tinkering with the pre-consumption procedures to tame these secondary effects :)
  • Options
    This is very true about the peppers, I've created a blend of spices I use to make mine, not in lieau of peppers but instead to compensate for variances in peppers.

LMAO about the disposal side, chili can have that effect can't it!
  • Options
    madurofan:
    I was just being an antagonist. I've never actually had Cincinnati chili, whats typically in it?
    depends on what you get.

http://www.skylinechili.com/signature.php

the "chilli" is more or less a thick meat sauce. im not sure how to describe it.
  • Options
    dutyjedutyje Posts: 2,263
    Imagine chili-flavored Manwich
  • Options
    i may have to go get some tonight. thanks guys. ... jerks.
  • Options
    urbinourbino Posts: 4,517
    madurofan:
    This is very true about the peppers, I've created a blend of spices I use to make mine, not in lieau of peppers but instead to compensate for variances in peppers.

You guys just need to have a bowl of ice cream after your chili. It makes the disposal much more bearable because, however bad things get, you know the ice cream is on its way.
  • Options
    I know what chili itself is I just didn't know if Cincinnati chili had some extra ingredients. Looking at that link though it doesn't appear different its just that they put it on top of spaghetti!?! Is that common up there?

I usually serve mine with rice, I give the person the option of putting it on top of rice but thats me I've never seen that at a restaurant. I actually came up with the idea bc I had just a little left over chili not enough for a meal and a bag of instant rice and that was all the food in my apt at the time so it became dinner.
  • Options
    dutyje:
    eeeewwwwww
  • Options
    urbino:
    madurofan:

You guys just need to have a bowl of ice cream after your chili. It makes the disposal much more bearable because, however bad things get, you know the ice cream is on its way.
    I just spit Sprite Zero thanks, that burned like hell coming through the nose! LMAO
  • Options
    urbino:
    dutyje:
    eeeewwwwww
    That does sound kinda hidious!
  • Options
    it is common. a 3 way is chilli spaghetti and cheese. ad either onions or beans for a 4 way and a five way is spaghetti, beans, chilli, onions, and cheese.

the cheese conies are awesome too. they need to be with mustard and onions though... just not the same without them.
  • Options
    madurofan:
    urbino:
    dutyje:
    eeeewwwwww
    but its GREAT

...if youare from cincinnati.
  • Options
    madurofan:
    I just spit Sprite Zero thanks, that burned like hell coming through the nose! LMAO
    Heh. I dunno how to help you with that one. Try squirting some milk through your nose, maybe?
  • Options
    urbino:
    madurofan:
    Heh. I dunno how to help you with that one. Try squirting some milk through your nose, maybe?
    or dont try to laugh and drink at the same time.
  • Options
    kuzi16:
    urbino:
    madurofan:
    or dont try to laugh and drink at the same time.
    it was drinking and then laughed when I thought it was all down but I was mistaken and have the stains on my shirt to prove that mistake :(
  • Options
    thats what you get for thinkin.
  • Options
    kuzi16:
    madurofan:
    urbino:
    dutyje:
    eeeewwwwww
    but its GREAT

...if youare from cincinnati.
    Does it really have a manwich quality? Manwich makes me wanna gag.
  • Options
    define "manwich quality"
  • Options
    kuzi16:
    thats what you get for thinkin.
    Yea its like I tell the wife I didn't marry you to think ;)
  • Options
    kuzi16:
    define "manwich quality"
    Soupy mass of spices that shouldn't go together sprinkled with MSG and preservatives.
  • Options
    yes and no. its not soupy. but its not exactly a solid either. it has spice and im sure MSG but it tases nothing like manwich. it has a different texture also. a bit more hearty.
  • Options
    Ok thats good. I love chili normally mine is quite different than typical chili but I always kind of figured basic chili sauce was chili sauce. Never expected it over spaghetti though, kind of piques my interest.
  • Options
    kuzi16:
    define "manwich quality"
    Loose stool with tomato sauce.
  • Options
    urbino:
    kuzi16:
    define "manwich quality"
    Loose stool with tomato sauce.
    thats how i think i would describe it too. so then i guess if i hate that and like skyline then they are nothing alike.
  • Options
    kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    kuzi16:
    madurofan:
    depends on what you get.

http://www.skylinechili.com/signature.php

the "chilli" is more or less a thick meat sauce. im not sure how to describe it.
    I do believe that there is cinnamon and chocolate, but just a hint to make you say " what is that" And the sixth way may be a chicago version of the cincinati chilli...went to skyline once and only got five way , with oyster crackers too.
  • Options
    kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    kuzi16:
    it is common. a 3 way is chilli spaghetti and cheese. ad either onions or beans for a 4 way and a five way is spaghetti, beans, chilli, onions, and cheese.

the cheese conies are awesome too. they need to be with mustard and onions though... just not the same without them.
    Don't forget reverse with the cheese on the bottom so it melts !
  • Options
    thats true, but i still like it on top. its classic and it makes it so there is cheese in any bite you want. just toss on a few oyster crackers....
  • Options
    MMMM oyster crackers ... aren't they required with chili, its not the same when they give you saltines.