Home General Discussion

And we finally got the forum makeover!

Comments

• danielzreyesdanielzreyes Posts: 8,769 ✭✭✭✭✭
    How do you start a new thread?

Where's my inbox?

How can you get rid of that massive header up top?
    "It's plume, bro. Nothing to worry about. Got any Opus?" The suppose to be DZR
  • EulogyEulogy Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's not working very well on my phone.
  • jgibvjgibv Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    jliu said:
    this feels too weird.  may have to quit ccom now

You get used to it after awhile. The old forum platform was no longer supported. It's days were numbered.

-Bryan

Hey Bryan, I agree there will be a learning curve with this.  But while we got your attention --- how about some sticky threads on the front page for the "Newbie" type info????
    Things like the "NEWBIE WELCOMING THREAD", "NEWBIE TRADING THREAD", ETC.

* I have a new address as of 3/24/18 *

• matkn293matkn293 Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭✭✭
    How do you start a new thread? New discussion top right corner under your picture

Where's my inbox?  to the right of your picture / avatar

How can you get rid of that massive header up top? good question

Life is too short to smoke bad cigars!!!

Oh when the Blues, Oh when the Blues, Oh when the Blues go marching in!

• matkn293 said:

Hey guys, glad you like it. It has been a long time coming. PM me if you find any bugs along the way. Also, the entire website is on a new platform if your haven't noticed. It looks pretty much the same, but works a lot faster.

-Bryan

Is there a dedicated app out there or just web based application from a browser.  I briefly went on through the web base and that application is a quite a bit tougher to navigate through than on a PC.

No app, but we have some work to do yet to display well on mobile. I feel your pain.

Improvements coming soon there.

-Bryan

How do you start a new thread?

Where's my inbox?

Anyone else on a phone? that category header is blocking everything 
  • pennpenn Posts: 193 ✭✭✭
    edited May 2015
    Crisius said:
    Tiny, I had if you moved from the forums to the site, it counted as a logout, but if you were logged in and "favorited" a page. Or you are running Firefox and let it use the "most visited pages" as your "new window" screen you just take that one time you were logged in and use it. If I went to the site directly, I was logged out. If I came directly to like my PM's, I was still logged in and could move to the forums and stay logged in.

Penn, and I've been building them since 97. Not as long as you, but I don't agree that this new look is better. I came to the old forums because they looked good. This looks like a buzzfeed page. It's enough to make me want to leave.

I understand your feeling and have learned how you feel is how feel and that needs to be respected even by those who feel differently.  I've become so cynical over IT that I don't feel one way or the other about look and feel anymore.  I simply look for features that are more cool than previous versions.  I've found a few but really wish I could still change the order from Newest to Oldest.  This may become problematic when there are 15 pages on a post.
    One other thing to ask the forum people is in more of the bio sections.  We used to be able to write things in such as likes dislikes etc in the bio.  Very useful when trying to level mailboxes.

• twistedstemtwistedstem Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭✭✭

im sure well all get used to it eventually... it takes awhile for old dogs to learn new tricks

no matter where you go, there you are.

• How do you start a new thread?
    New discussion button top right.

Where's my inbox?
    Third button in from left in header.

The graphic is only on the homepage. The header where is says Community Forum stays. If you are on a mobile device it's rough, we know. Working on that as we speak.
    -Bryan
  • How do you start a new thread?

Where's my inbox?

Anyone else on a phone? that category header is blocking everything 

It stinks, we're on it.

-Bryan

Can we get an update to the "language/profanity" filter too...???
    It's censoring out b-u-t-t.  How can we talk pulled pork BBQ?

• twistedstemtwistedstem Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭✭✭
    hey we get badges and points!! maybe theycan be turned infor some kinda swag???
    no matter where you go, there you are.

• CrouseferCrousefer Posts: 445 ✭✭
    The future freaks me out.
  • jgibv said:
    jliu said:

You get used to it after awhile. The old forum platform was no longer supported. It's days were numbered.

-Bryan

Hey Bryan, I agree there will be a learning curve with this.  But while we got your attention --- how about some sticky threads on the front page for the "Newbie" type info???? Things like the "NEWBIE WELCOMING THREAD", "NEWBIE TRADING THREAD", ETC.

jgiby,

We need that. Do you know of any existing posts that outline it? Want me to draft something?

-Bryan
  • jd50aejd50ae Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No ignore button.
    jgibv said:
    jliu said:

-Bryan

Hey Bryan, I agree there will be a learning curve with this.  But while we got your attention --- how about some sticky threads on the front page for the "Newbie" type info???? Things like the "NEWBIE WELCOMING THREAD", "NEWBIE TRADING THREAD", ETC.

jgiby,

We need that. Do you know of any existing posts that outline it? Want me to draft something?

-Bryan

There are several of them out there in the different sections.  Bumping them soon. f not already done.

Nevermind, they are near the top of the page(s)

jgibv said:
    jliu said:

-Bryan

jgiby,

-Bryan
    I just bumped a few of them and *tried* to tag your name in them....(not sure if that worked or not)

Soo if not ..... these are the main ones we like to point new folks to:

http://www.cigar.com/cs/forums/thread/3027.aspx
    http://www.cigar.com/cs/forums/thread/11121.aspx
    http://www.cigar.com/cs/forums/thread/562842.aspx
    http://www.cigar.com/cs/forums/1/437195aspx
    http://www.cigar.com/cs/forums/thread/340006.aspx
    http://www.cigar.com/cs/forums/thread/17975.aspx

• jimmyv723jimmyv723 Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭
    jimmyv723 said:

variant2 said:
    This is not good... 

We can't edit posts after an hour. This may be a problem for OPs (original posters) that need to update the first post.
    Yeah, being able to edit the first post for something like the Pass I just did made it easy to keep everything at the front as it happened. Hopefully that gets changed so we can still do that.

It's not an admin setting but we'll reach out the forum people to see if they can make it happen. Not a tall ask. Just to clarify you would prefer if they were editable forever right?

-Bryan

Definitely. It makes it easier to keep things updated when you're doing something like a Pass that could take a while to travel around. This way people don;t have to dig through each page to find things and can just see the first post as it gets updated with the important info.
    Ken Light 3K MOW Badge - 8/14
    2015 Gang War - East Coast
    Enola Gay - Target #29

• jgibv said:
    jgibv said:
    jliu said:

-Bryan

jgiby,

-Bryan
    I just bumped a few of them and *tried* to tag your name in them....(not sure if that worked or not)

Soo if not ..... these are the main ones we like to point new folks to:

http://www.cigar.com/cs/forums/thread/3027.aspx
    http://www.cigar.com/cs/forums/thread/11121.aspx
    http://www.cigar.com/cs/forums/thread/562842.aspx
    http://www.cigar.com/cs/forums/1/437195aspx
    http://www.cigar.com/cs/forums/thread/340006.aspx
    http://www.cigar.com/cs/forums/thread/17975.aspx

Thank you. I announced a couple in the appropriate categories. They should remain at the top. I'm still learning this too...

-Bryan

• ChemnitzChemnitz Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭
    This is kinda freakin me out... 
  • brianetz1brianetz1 Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭
    holy

cow

dont

have

to

type

br

• brianetz1brianetz1 Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭
    I think it even re-sizes your photos for you .....

awesome!!

Well, I finally had the chance to take a look at the new layout on PC.  It's nice.

However, I usually check out the forum on my phone 90% of the time.  The layout on smartphones suck ..... bad.  It's nothing like this. 
    I guess I won't I'll be as active as before. I dunno
    Hmmm 6,975?  Interesting
  • variant2variant2 Posts: 882 ✭✭✭✭
    jgibv said:
    Can we get an update to the "language/profanity" filter too...???
    It's censoring out b-u-t-t.  How can we talk pulled pork BBQ?

Butt
    Cнeerѕ! Moтнerғυcĸer
  • jimmyv723jimmyv723 Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭
    matkn293 said:
    One other thing to ask the forum people is in more of the bio sections.  We used to be able to write things in such as likes dislikes etc in the bio.  Very useful when trying to level mailboxes.

THIS... Especially with the Gang War going on now where the Bio is very helpful. Hopefully we can get something added for us to put a Bio back up.
    Ken Light 3K MOW Badge - 8/14
    2015 Gang War - East Coast
    Enola Gay - Target #29

• avengethisavengethis Posts: 5,689 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This definitely needs some work and some tweaks but I have no gripes about moving to a new platform.  The old system was way too archaic.  I will hold any judgement until we are into it for a few months and bugs can be worked out.

On that note I have a good amount of experience on forum software and maintenance if you need any help let me know.  I would be glad to work on some of the changes people are wanting.
    Team O'Donnell FTW!

"I've got a great cigar collection - it's actually not a collection, because that would imply I wasn't going to smoke ever last one of 'em." - Ron White
  • jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't like it. Not at all. All that was needed was to get away from the HTML bullcrap. I don't like the edit function, I don't like the fact that I can't read the last post without having to scroll all the way through a thread. There is much that I don't like about it. 

You have my email address - let me know when it's fixed so it functions correctly on my iPhone. Until then, Adios.....