Home Non Cigar Related
Options

you can't make this stuff up

Comments

• Options
    YaksterYakster Posts: 26,410 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2021

In the office of the Antelope Valley Press hung a sign much like this one. Sometimes I miss newspapers.

Join us on Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • Options
    0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Yakster said:
    In the office of the Antelope Valley Press hung a sign much like this one. Sometimes I miss newspapers.

Oh, you mean when the press was actually accountable for what they printed and would get called out and had to print a retraction, when they got caught in a lie?
    Good times.

In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
  • Options
    edited February 2021

Califoregon again proves how freaking insane they really are.
    Actually, this is beyond insane.

Oregon promotes teacher program that seeks to undo 'racism in mathematics'
    https://www.foxnews.com/us/oregon-education-math-white-supremacy

In Fumo Pax

Wylaff said:
  • Options
    webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭

@0patience said:

I want to ride a roller coaster designed by an engineer steeped in ethnomathematics

“It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• Options

@webmost said:

@0patience said:

I want to ride a roller coaster designed by an engineer steeped in ethnomathematics

That, right there, was one of my first thoughts.
    Oregon buildings collapsing, because engineers learned non-racist math.

In Fumo Pax

Wylaff said:
  • Options
    Cam_91Cam_91 Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think some of the opinions here are a bit cynical. I’m sure we can agree that forming a conclusion from an article is not the best way to be objective. I took a look at some of the resources and toolkits provided for educators, and most of it is spot on with the current environment in my greater area. The course was also designed by districts in my area.

The objective of the course seems to be helping educators realize and be aware of their own biases and the inequity within mathematics with it’s outcome being an equal opportunity of success for English language learners and lower income minorities, respectively.

And this is a real problem that goes unseen. I can only speak for my area and my experiences, but coming from a family full of educators I have seen it first hand. I’ve seen high school math teachers of all races prioritize white and Asian students because they felt those students “wanted to learn more” than the other students, and instructors didn’t want to “waste their time” with the non-white/Asian students because they were too difficult to teach, as it took more time and resources to get those students to the same level of understanding.

I would say download the material, browse through it, and ask an educators personal opinion about what you read. Any opinion or conclusion you come to after that is on you, but at least you’ve seen both sides and have a bit of inside knowledge on the topic.

All of the stuff below looks appropriate in my opinion:

• Options
    d_bladesd_blades Posts: 3,810 ✭✭✭✭✭

I always thought mathematics was an exact science, Theoretical not withstanding.

Don't let the wife know what you spend on guns, ammo or cigars.

• Options
    Trykflyr_1Trykflyr_1 Posts: 2,503 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2021

I find it hard to believe a system of numbers is at fault when there are employees of all races, who graduated from high school, and cannot make change for a $10 bill without a calculator. F*** a buncha gender studies...learn to add.

And get off my lawn!

I'm still troubled by what I did for that Klondike bar...
  • Options
    GaryThompsonGaryThompson Posts: 952 ✭✭✭✭✭

As with most things, it’s the human element that mucks things up. Numbers don’t lie or change for you or me.

• Options

@0patience said:
    @Cam_91
    I know math. Math is either right or wrong. Calculations that are wrong, usually destroy things.
    How does not correcting wrong answers teach anything?
    What happens when someone is told they are right, goes to be a mathematician or engineer and fails the college classes.? Or worse, doesn't fail and designs a bridge and it fails.

Or goes to be a mathematician and gets laughed out of the industry, cause those people will, without malous.

Saying kids are right, just to save their feelings is a road to disaster.

I hear you. Are we talking about a Fox News article who’s purpose is to evoke feelings and reach as many eyes as possible, or are we analyzing the course material and toolkit as a whole?

You seem hung up on a couple sentences you don’t agree with, and that’s fine because I don’t agree with everything I read either. What’s your opinion on the inequity factor in k-12 education? Because I think that’s the point of this course.

• Options
    ShawnOLShawnOL Posts: 8,738 ✭✭✭✭✭

Are you saying black and brown kids are stupid? Or are you just saying whites and Asians are smarter? Choosing to teach some students differently than others kinda makes it sound that way. Should we have segregated math classes or should we dumb down the teaching to the whites and Asians?

Trapped in the People's Communits Republic of Massachusetts.

• Options

@ShawnOL said:
    Choosing to teach some students differently than others kinda makes it sound that way.

Oh geez. But to speak on what you said, does everyone learn the same exact way? Because what I think makes a great teacher is someone who can adapt to each of their student’s method of learning and be able to effectively instill curriculum in all students. Not just a certain group of students.

• Options
    edited February 2021

@Cam_91 said:
    What’s your opinion on the inequity factor in k-12 education? Because I think that’s the point of this course.

No matter what anyone says or believes, you believe what you want and nothing will sway that.
    That's fine. But don't think for a minute you have any idea what I believe or think.
    I'm not hung up on any of it. I was at the understanding that this was a calm discussion. But I guess I'm a bad person, since you seem to think I am hung up on something.
    As a minority, it always amuses me when people get on the race bandwagon.

In Fumo Pax

Wylaff said:
  • Options
    VegasFrankVegasFrank Posts: 17,119 ✭✭✭✭✭

@d_blades said:
    I always thought mathematics was an exact science, Theoretical not withstanding.

You've clearly never studied calculus or statistics :p

Disclaimer:  All trolling is provided for the sole entertainment purposes of the author only. Readers may find entertainment and hard core truths, but none are intended. Any resulting damaged feelings or arse chapping of the reader are the sole responsibility of the reader, to include, but not limited to: crying, anger, revenge pørn, and abandonment or deletion of ccom accounts. Offer void in Utah because Utah is terrible.
  • Options

@0patience hey brotha I’m calm, and I actually pride myself on having opinions that are not set in stone. I don’t blame you for thinking otherwise, cause you haven’t spoken with me, and reading text can be misconstrued.

I thought we were having a constructive conversation that’s why I asked your opinion on it, as I genuinely wanted to know. Was looking forward to some counterpoints. I’m about respect, and I respect you and everyone else here. Just wanted to get away from the article and into the meat of the discussion.

That being said, race is a driving factor in inequity. Race is the whole point of that course and toolkit, so I bring it up along with my personal experience. I didn’t mention me being a minority or play any type of race card. I thought we were having fun here 🤷🏻‍♂️

• Options
    VegasFrankVegasFrank Posts: 17,119 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Cam_91 said:
    I thought we were having fun here 🤷🏻‍♂️

Not in this thread, young feller.

Disclaimer:  All trolling is provided for the sole entertainment purposes of the author only. Readers may find entertainment and hard core truths, but none are intended. Any resulting damaged feelings or arse chapping of the reader are the sole responsibility of the reader, to include, but not limited to: crying, anger, revenge pørn, and abandonment or deletion of ccom accounts. Offer void in Utah because Utah is terrible.
  • Options

@Cam_91 said:
    @0patience hey brotha I’m calm, and I actually pride myself on having opinions that are not set in stone. I don’t blame you for thinking otherwise, cause you haven’t spoken with me, and reading text can be misconstrued.

I thought we were having a constructive conversation that’s why I asked your opinion on it, as I genuinely wanted to know. Was looking forward to some counterpoints. I’m about respect, and I respect you and everyone else here. Just wanted to get away from the article and into the meat of the discussion.

That being said, race is a driving factor in inequity. Race is the whole point of that course and toolkit, so I bring it up along with my personal experience. I didn’t mention me being a minority or play any type of race card. I thought we were having fun here 🤷🏻‍♂️

As you stated, emotions are difficult to read.
    No worries here. Most folks can attest to the fact that I tend to go to the point, which is often read as mean or cold.

As for the article, I would find fault with anything Oregon did.
    I despise Oregon and it's useless govt.
    It has been over-run with people wanting to change things and loggers and commercial fisherman turned into ostracized industries. Of which, I have worked in both those industries.

In Fumo Pax

Wylaff said:
  • Options

I can see that point of view, and I appreciate you @0patience ! Now you can expect a major bomb for making me write so **** much 💣

• Options
    Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,551 ✭✭✭✭✭

Pardon my 2 cents, but, as stated above different people do learn differently. However, I don't think that it's the color of their skin that makes this so, since within my own family I can see that different people learn differently.

The difficult part of this whole thing for me to understand is this, we seem to have a whole generation that believes that the way to achieve racial equity is to categorize and emphasize racial differences.

Speaking of math, that doesn't add up for me. And I took Statistics.

WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • Options
    silvermousesilvermouse Posts: 19,718 ✭✭✭✭✭

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/how-billions-pandemic-aid-was-swindled-con-artists-crime-syndicates-n1257766

Officials in California, one of the only states to launch a review of the Covid-19 relief program, said they have tallied $11 billion stolen from taxpayers so far, but the total figure could be as high as $30 billion, or 27 percent. An early review in Nebraska, which looked at all statewide payments through June, found roughly 66 percent of unemployment money was misspent.

"In California, this is unquestionably the largest fraud against public agencies in our history," said Vern Pierson, president of the California District Attorneys Association. "Increasingly we are learning there could be fraud of historic proportions nationwide. While we don’t know the exact price tag, we know the amount of the loss of taxpayers is staggering."

• Options
    ShawnOLShawnOL Posts: 8,738 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2021

It was intended to be fraud-ridden from the outset. Politicians are the ones who came up with this scheme.

Trapped in the People's Communits Republic of Massachusetts.

• Options
    d_bladesd_blades Posts: 3,810 ✭✭✭✭✭

@d_blades said:

https://www.vice.com/en/article/xgzkek/machines-are-inventing-new-math-weve-never-seen?utm_source=pocket-newtab

Don't let the wife know what you spend on guns, ammo or cigars.

• Options
    Diver43Diver43 Posts: 2,159 ✭✭✭✭✭

@silvermouse said:
    https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/how-billions-pandemic-aid-was-swindled-con-artists-crime-syndicates-n1257766

Officials in California, one of the only states to launch a review of the Covid-19 relief program, said they have tallied $11 billion stolen from taxpayers so far, but the total figure could be as high as $30 billion, or 27 percent. An early review in Nebraska, which looked at all statewide payments through June, found roughly 66 percent of unemployment money was misspent.

"In California, this is unquestionably the largest fraud against public agencies in our history," said Vern Pierson, president of the California District Attorneys Association. "Increasingly we are learning there could be fraud of historic proportions nationwide. While we don’t know the exact price tag, we know the amount of the loss of taxpayers is staggering."

California should investigate themselves. Oh wait, that wouldnt work either

Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5