Home Non Cigar Related
Options

you can't make this stuff up

Comments

• Options
    PatrickbrickPatrickbrick Posts: 7,741 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I can't believe he didn't make something up.  
    "We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give".  Winston Churchill.
    MOW badge received.
  • Options
    YaksterYakster Posts: 25,768 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you read the article(s), he did.  One such thing he said was that when he was talking to a co-worker and said rump, he was talking about the steak he was going to enjoy at tea and not about her. He made lots of things up but was still fired for repeatedly being a creep including calling a co-worker and breathing heavily into the phone.
    Join us on Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • Options
    webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Don't judge a man until you have wanked a miles in his shoes.
    “It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• Options
    silvermousesilvermouse Posts: 19,255 ✭✭✭✭✭
    the market just finished recovering from the December thrashing;  my retirement savings are not liking this:
    MARKETS
    Dow futures drop 400 points after Trump’s tariff threat catches traders expecting a deal off guard
    https://www.cnbc.com/2019/05/05/traders-brace-for-sharp-sell-off-on-trumps-tariff-threat.html

• Options
    peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You're never gonna retire anyway, so what's the difference?  <tongue-in-cheek>
    "I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
  • Options
    I'm more concerned with what is going to be there when my wife and I are 80 or 90. Not that I will be retired but rather with the high inflation in the medical/pharmaceutical industry and assisted living/nursing home costs. "In the past 20 years, in the regime of stable inflation, headline CPI has grown at an average annual rate of 2.2%, whereas the price level of medical care has grown at an average annual rate of 3.6%—about 70% faster."
  • Options
  • Options
    0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    They search you when you go into Disney World?

In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
  • Options
    YaksterYakster Posts: 25,768 ✭✭✭✭✭
    They search at almost every amusement park.
    Join us on Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • Options
    “Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience..."

-C.S. Lewis

“It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• Options
    Why water walks on water:

https://youtu.be/KJDEsAy9RyM

... and why I love the cello starts about the 8th minute ... don't miss that

• Options
    edited May 2019
    would be great if the feds did this instead of making each state tighten the screws on big pharma:
    https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-48241663

The lawsuit alleges that as many as 20 companies have been involved in fixing prices for over 100 drugs, including treatments for diabetes and cancer.

One of the firms accused is Teva Pharmaceuticals, the world's largest producer of generic medicine.

Teva, which has denied any wrongdoing, says it will defend its actions.

The legal action, which follows a five-year investigation, accuses drugs companies of involvement in a scheme to boost prices - in some cases by more than 1,000% - and was filed on Friday by Connecticut Attorney General William Tong.

• Options

so, the American consumer and businesses pay the tariffs on Chinese goods:

Trump also suggested that the U.S. was “collecting” big tariffs from China.

“Would be wise for them to act now, but love collecting BIG TARIFFS!” he tweeted.
    --Pres. Trump

Fox News’ Chris Wallace pressed Kudlow about Trump’s claims.

“It’s not China that pays tariffs,” Wallace said. “It’s the American importers, the American companies that pay what, in effect, is a tax increase and oftentimes passes it on to U.S. consumers.”

“Fair enough,” Kudlow replied. “In fact, both sides will pay. Both sides will pay in these things.”

Kudlow added, however, that China doesn’t actually pay the tariffs, but that their GDP will suffer “with respect to a diminishing export market.”

• Options

so, the American consumer and businesses pay the tariffs on Chinese goods:

Trump also suggested that the U.S. was “collecting” big tariffs from China.

“Would be wise for them to act now, but love collecting BIG TARIFFS!” he tweeted.
    --Pres. Trump

Fox News’ Chris Wallace pressed Kudlow about Trump’s claims.

“It’s not China that pays tariffs,” Wallace said. “It’s the American importers, the American companies that pay what, in effect, is a tax increase and oftentimes passes it on to U.S. consumers.”

“Fair enough,” Kudlow replied. “In fact, both sides will pay. Both sides will pay in these things.”

Kudlow added, however, that China doesn’t actually pay the tariffs, but that their GDP will suffer “with respect to a diminishing export market.”

Like so many things, everyone wants to tell half the story as tho it's the whole story.

"China has stolen millions of jobs and trillions of dollars" but "administrations from both parties haven't been strong enough to fight back". ... Chuck Schumer

• Options
    Point taken: I'm as blind as anyone despite conscious effort to be otherwise. Cognitive dissonance is uncomfortable; implicit bias and shadow material gets us all. OTOH, thinking one has a grip on the whole story has it's own pitfalls. Journalists who attempt to tell both sides of an issue occasionally stray into false narrative territory.
  • Options
    In Fumo Pax

Wylaff said:
  • Options
    BKDogBKDog Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "Love is a dung heap, Betty and I am but a c.o.c.k. that climbs upon it to crow."
  • Options
    CharlieHeisCharlieHeis Posts: 8,169 ✭✭✭✭✭
    BKDog said:
    That's right up there with killing a mountain lion with one's bare hands. Damn.
  • Options
    You can't make that up.

• Options
    Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭✭
    webmost said:
    You can't make that up.
    receiving colin cowherd GIF
  • Options

Young oyster shuckers, Josie, six years old, Bertha, six years old, Sophie, ten years old, Port Royal, South Carolina, 1912. Work began at 4 AM.
    Photo/Lewis Hine

Image may contain 3 people people standing
  • Options

Private insurers covering people receiving treatment for dialysis paid four times more than government insurance programs such as Medicare paid for the same service. Government programs paid, on average, $248 per dialysis session, compared with $1,041 per session for people with private insurance.
  • Options
    Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,440 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2019

Private insurers covering people receiving treatment for dialysis paid four times more than government insurance programs such as Medicare paid for the same service. Government programs paid, on average, $248 per dialysis session, compared with $1,041 per session for people with private insurance.
    Well now, @silvermouse ,you have to stop and think.  Medicare has their bloated bureaucracy, the insurance industry has theirs.  It's going to be different y'know.  ;)

And, that's a great example about how expensive government run health care programs are.  That's why Americans spend more $ per-capita than any other country in the world on health care. 

And we're about number 14 - 20 or so in the quality, too!    

:/
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • Options
    edited May 2019
    We pay the most for the worst healthcare.
    Makes sense.
    And anyone who thinks "socialized healthcre" is the answer, it may work in some countries, but in this country, it will never work.

If you've ever been to the VA or and Indian Health care, both of which are examples of socialized medicine, you know the pitfalls of it.
    Insurance companies and pharmaceutical companies are ripping people off and they blame the healthcare system.

In Fumo Pax

Wylaff said:
  • Options
    edited May 2019
    I hear you.  I do go to the VA, and the satellite clinic I go to is just wonderful.  It's my 3rd clinic, though, and the first 2 were exactly examples of what you're talking about.  There's just no easy answers. 

However, a good start might be to ban all lobbying, change our electoral system to taxpayer funded ONLY with candidates obtaining signatures from registered voters and then applying for equal funding, and long prison terms for those convicted of illegal lobbying or other election tampering.   

Wait, there's a song playing in my head...."Dreamer, you silly little dreamer...."
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • Options
    I'd sure like to know how we went from $341/ month premiums with $10 copay in 1999, to $2140/month with $600 annual deductible and 80% coverage currently.

And no idiot politician sees this as racketeering?

So let's see.
    My family overall costs last year for medical, including prescriptions, without insurance (ok, minus when I went to Indian Health) was approx. $18,000, because of ear infections and other normal things.
    But over $25,000 was paid in premiums to the insurance company for my family insurance.
    And no one sees the issue?
    In Fumo Pax

Wylaff said:
  • Options
    Interestingly, I saw a politician grilling the Big Pharma industry on this very subject.  But, since her initials are AOC nobody will care if she made any good points or not.  Because we're all focused on personalities, and "Our Side" prevailing, right or wrong.

• Options
    My wife's work, if she wanted to have her family on her health insurance would have to pay $2884 per month.
    WTF? 
    There are people there barely making that gross, let alone take home.
    How do people pay for insurance for their family, if that is what they pay through their job?

I pay $358/month for my family, but that's because of our contract.
    In Fumo Pax

Wylaff said:
  • Options
    ‘Depression gene’ research built on sand
    A large study that found no evidence of a ‘depression gene’ is bolstering long-running doubts about the foundation of thousands of psychiatric-genetics papers. Using huge data sets, researchers analysed 18 candidate genes that have been most commonly linked to depression, and found no evidence that any of the genes influenced depression risk. “This should be a real cautionary tale,” says psychiatric geneticist Matthew Keller. “How on Earth could we have spent 20 years and hundreds of millions of dollars studying pure noise?”

The Atlantic | 8 min read 
    Reference: The American Journal of Psychiatry paper