Home Non Cigar Related
Options

Post Every Boring Aspect Of Your Mundane Life Thread

Comments

• Options
    silvermousesilvermouse Posts: 19,629 ✭✭✭✭✭

I used to have a large raspberry patch and sold pints of berries on the side of the yard to the neighbors. One day when I was picking I was buzzed by a dozen or so of these hornets. When I looked around I saw my elbow was about 6" from the hornet's nest. If I gave the nest a foot or two of 'social distancing' they were OK with that and I could continue picking. If you don't have a bee hive you might consider leaving them in peace, they eat insects.

• Options
    First_WarriorFirst_Warrior Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭✭✭

I thought about using smoke but the nest is already in shadow so smoke would make it harder to see and I don't want to burn the shed down.
    Back when I was hunting with a smoothbore I would use the nest material for wadding when using #6 shot.

• Options
    Trykflyr_1Trykflyr_1 Posts: 2,503 ✭✭✭✭✭

Dog got onto a yellowjacket nest this morning and manged to get tagged half a dozen times or so. He's not happy.

I'm still troubled by what I did for that Klondike bar...
  • Options
    YaksterYakster Posts: 26,300 ✭✭✭✭✭

I rounded up spare shot glasses and canning jars for a nursery project for the garden to grow under the grow light in the spare bedroom.

Join us on Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • Options
    ShawnOLShawnOL Posts: 8,691 ✭✭✭✭✭

Will a grow light (UV) go through glass?

Trapped in the People's Communits Republic of Massachusetts.

• Options
    edited July 2020

That's a great question. I don't think it will. Thanks for mentioning this, I'm glad to be corrected and have passed this information up the chain to the boss.

• Options
    peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,703 ✭✭✭✭✭

You don't need a light until there are leaves.

"I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
  • Options

Important safety tip #765: Look inside your trailer wheels fir grease. The inner seal failed at some point, all the grease I had pumped in just blew out the back and presto!, failed bearings. No warning, no signs of impending failure, just a big azz THUMP as the hub departed.

Got lucky it was mere feet from my driveway.

• Options

Yeah, I need to do that to my tent trailer before we take it anywhere.

• Options

What, blow out the seals? Why, Yakster, not enough excitement?

• Options

No check the seals on this old trailer to prevent a breakdown.

I'd been thinking of getting rid of it, but with COVID-19, they're all the rage now and we may see some future camps in it.

• Options
    ShawnOLShawnOL Posts: 8,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2020

Popup campers are fun. Had mine for about 18 years. When I replace it it will be a hybrid. Travel trailer with pop out queen beds like a popup has.

Trapped in the People's Communits Republic of Massachusetts.

• Options
    IndustMechIndustMech Posts: 4,730 ✭✭✭✭✭

When I was a kid we had a popup camper. When pulling it thru Montreal, Quebec, during rush hour, we lost a wheel. Fortunately it was a tandem axle, but I remember spending a couple night in a hotel room waiting for a new wheel.
    The wheel fell off because my Dad had it serviced and the people who serviced it failed to tighten the lug nuts properly.

I know, You're a big dog and I'm on the list.
    Let's eat, GrandMa.  /  Let's eat GrandMa.  --  Punctuation saves lives

It'll be fine once the swelling goes down.

• Options
    YankeeManYankeeMan Posts: 2,654 ✭✭✭✭✭

Going to the doctor's office for a blood pressure check.

• Options
    IndustMechIndustMech Posts: 4,730 ✭✭✭✭✭

Watched the trash collection truck pick, dump, and place the garbage cans.

I know, You're a big dog and I'm on the list.
    Let's eat, GrandMa.  /  Let's eat GrandMa.  --  Punctuation saves lives

It'll be fine once the swelling goes down.

• Options
    ForMudForMud Posts: 2,336 ✭✭✭✭✭

Insolated a garage at work today....90 degrees with 80% humidity = Me all itchy.

• Options
    ForMudForMud Posts: 2,336 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Trykflyr_1 said:

Important safety tip #765: Look inside your trailer wheels fir grease. The inner seal failed at some point, all the grease I had pumped in just blew out the back and presto!, failed bearings. No warning, no signs of impending failure, just a big azz THUMP as the hub departed.

Got lucky it was mere feet from my driveway.

There's reason why I take two spare tires and one spare hub with me when I tow for over 100 miles....Oh the stories I could tell.

• Options

@ForMud said:
    Insolated a garage at work today....90 degrees with 80% humidity = Me all itchy.

One of my least favorite pastimes.

• Options

Ended up replacing the whole running gear...both hubs, the axle and the springs. The one surviving hub won't work on the new axle, naturally.

• Options
    jd50aejd50ae Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2020

Went blackberry gathering a short time ago, got enough for a cobbler. Did dispatch 3 black snakes.

Origin. Cobblers originated in the British American colonies. ... The origin of the name cobbler, recorded from 1859, is uncertain: it may be related to the archaic word cobeler, meaning "wooden bowl".

Post edited by jd50ae on
  • Options

Power went out. Smells like a blown transformer

• Options

And we're back

• Options

@jd50ae said:
    Went blackberry gathering a short time ago, got enough for a cobbler. Did dispatch 3 black snakes.

Origin. Cobblers originated in the British American colonies. ... The origin of the name cobbler, recorded from 1859, is uncertain: it may be related to the archaic word cobeler, meaning "wooden bowl".

If you are referring to black racer snakes--they eat small rodents. Weren't you complaining about a mouse or rat infestation several years ago?

• Options
    jd50aejd50ae Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2020

Nope. I am talking about poisonous black snakes that inhabit this area and that have just missed my wife twice. They have bit two of our dogs resulting in one death. As a kid I use to catch racers but I have never seen a racer on this property. We have some big corn snakes that feed well on the mice. We take the time to remove the really big corn snakes to a patch of woods some distance away. I have even seen chickens attack and kill the black snakes. I barely got a shove between, a black snake and my wife when one attacked her, lots of venom on the blade. That snake become fish and turtle food. I also now carry a 6 inch Taurus 45/410 when I am out and about.

• Options

Understood. We have no poisonous here so I am ignorant about their danger to people and pets.

• Options
    deadmandeadman Posts: 8,813 ✭✭✭✭✭

I now have to do a covid test before any procedure. Having a test tomorrow for Monday’s then again on Tuesday for Fridays. SMH. 🙄

• Options
    edited August 2020

That freak lightning storm I enjoyed the other morning... now the Bay Area's on fire.

Hope you're ok, @ExpendableYouth

• Options
    Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,538 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2020

@jd50ae said:
    Nope. I am talking about poisonous black snakes that inhabit this area and that have just missed my wife twice. They have bit two of our dogs resulting in one death. As a kid I use to catch racers but I have never seen a racer on this property. We have some big corn snakes that feed well on the mice. We take the time to remove the really big corn snakes to a patch of woods some distance away. I have even seen chickens attack and kill the black snakes. I barely got a shove between, a black snake and my wife when one attacked her, lots of venom on the blade. That snake become fish and turtle food. I also now carry a 6 inch Taurus 45/410 when I am out and about.

I have black racers, here, and Indigo snakes that are black and eat poisonous snakes.
    Cottonmouths and copperheads live here, they're poisonous. Hognose "Puff Adders", are mildly poisonous, they say.

I can't think of a poisonous black snake? Although by late summer cottonmouths can be nearly black, so much so that sometimes one can't see the markings. Think that's what they are?

WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain