Home Non Cigar Related
Options

Quote Of The Day

Comments

• Options
    Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,442 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2019
    webmost said:
    "The liberty of a democracy is not safe if the people tolerate the growth of private power to a point where it becomes stronger than their democratic state itself.  That, in its essence, is fascism."  --  FD Roosevelt's message to congress, 1938.
    A clever redefinition of fascism from an ardent admirer of Mussolini.
    Yep.  But if you substitute the word "Plutocracy" for fascism, the statement remains true.  I'm not a fan of either system.  Both have the same tyrannical intent.
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • Options
    peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,440 ✭✭✭✭✭
    In today's context, I'd say it's referring to big business owning the politicians.
    "I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
  • Options
    webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Banksters
    “It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• Options
    First_WarriorFirst_Warrior Posts: 3,171 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "Watch This" quote after a hot afternoon with cold beer.
  • Options
    IndustMechIndustMech Posts: 4,680 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hold my beer

I know, You're a big dog and I'm on the list.
    Let's eat, GrandMa.  /  Let's eat GrandMa.  --  Punctuation saves lives

It'll be fine once the swelling goes down.

• Options
    MartelMartel Posts: 3,306 ✭✭✭✭
    Three may keep a secret if two of them are dead. -Ben Franklin

The Mountains are calling, and I must go. -John Muir

Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees. The winds will blow their own freshness into you, and the storms their energy, while cares will drop off like autumn leaves. -John Muir

Everybody needs beauty as well as bread, places to play in and pray in, where nature may heal and give strength to body and soul. -John Muir

Also, all come from magnets on my fridge.  Here's another: Only you can prevent wildfires. -Smokey Bear (I collect all things Smokey)

I could also give you numbers to a bunch of pizza places.

Intelligence is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.

I like Oliva and Quesada (including Regius) a lot.  I will smoke anything, though.
  • Options
    “Finding old music you used to love is like getting back in touch with an old friend.” ~UNKNOWN
  • Options
    Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,026 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2019
    "Yep, It's friendlier here. I landed on another forum site before I found this one. I asked a noob question about wrappers cracking and they skipped the question and started talking crap among themselves about the line of cigars I was smoking. Bye bye snarky fart sniffers. I'll try and find a friendlier bunch. And I did " - Bob_Luken, Aug 18th 2013

No, it wasn't a Gurkha.
  • Options
    jd50aejd50ae Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "Not my pants"
    Various assorted and not very bright thugs.
  • Options
    Trykflyr_1Trykflyr_1 Posts: 2,500 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "Who is the schmuck that designed this and just what kinda crack did he have???"   Every aircraft mechanic since the dawn of flight
    I'm still troubled by what I did for that Klondike bar...
  • Options
    YaksterYakster Posts: 25,769 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "Good, Fast, Cheap. You can only pick two." ~ unknown
    Join us on Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • Options
    NOGILLS2NOGILLS2 Posts: 156 ✭✭✭
    A man's character may be learned from the adjectives which he habitually uses in conversation. Mark Twain

I never let schooling interfere with my education. Mark Twain

I am a happy man. You have made me very grateful. For this is the very first time that the Crown Jewels have ever been adequately & deliriously praised by an unprejudiced person. Still it is the cigars' own fault that this is so for it is a cigar which excites envy & jealousy in the smoker because he knows & feels the truth of which you have said; that there is no other cigar that is just like it. There are cigars which resemble it but only in appearance, not in spirit & not in the ability to dare & do. There is no other cigar that can make a person want to go away & get by himself & think this life over & wonder if it is altogether worth while. I will send you some more when you get out. Let me know. Any man of fine intelligence who is acquainted with Crown Jewels prizes them above any other gems & saves them & hoards them. I gave Harry Rogers a box two years ago & he has them yet. Let me know when you are out.
  • Options
    webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    NOGILLS2 said:

I never let schooling interfere with my education. Mark Twain

Even then.
    “It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• Options
    0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "Never admit to anything, until you are certain what you are in trouble for."
    In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
  • Options
    YankeeManYankeeMan Posts: 2,654 ✭✭✭✭✭
    First thing I learned in the Police academy:  "It may look like me in that picture, but it's not!"
  • Options
    silvermousesilvermouse Posts: 19,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    “I'm not an idealist, and I'm very much a realist. I spent 30 years in the Air Force, and I'm not a pie-in-the sky guy. But I just go, ‘Why the hell are we having these conflicts down there?’”
    NASA astronaut Terry Virts Jr. describes the “overview effect” that changes space-travellers’ perspective of life on Earth. 
  • Options
    "The way to gain a good reputation is to endeavor to be what you desire to appear." ~Socrates
  • Options
    YaksterYakster Posts: 25,769 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "I get better looking every day"

~ @Rhamlin
    Join us on Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • Options
    Trykflyr_1Trykflyr_1 Posts: 2,500 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Landyacht Law:
    The number of lumbering RV's in front of you on any two lane road is inversely proportional to the amount of travel time you've alotted for the trip. 

Corollary
    Safe passing areas are also inversely proportional and all onccoming traffic will be interspersed only in those safe passing areas.

I'm still troubled by what I did for that Klondike bar...
  • Options
    Dark_RoastDark_Roast Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭
    "Bada Book. Bada Boom." Choice Hotels.
  • Options
    RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I may be slow but I sure do poor work. 

Why do today what you can can do tomorrow. 
  • Options
    It'll be okay in the end.  And if it's not okay, it's not the end.

John Lennon
  • Options
    First_WarriorFirst_Warrior Posts: 3,171 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have a candle that burns at both ends and gives off such a lovely light
    but ah my foes and ah my friends it will not last the night.
      EVM