Home Non Cigar Related
Options

Quote Of The Day

Comments

• Options
    peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,511 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2023

I know what that's trying to say... but it's the mindset/attitude/belief that drives the behavior. If the behavior is sucky, I don't care what someone says they believe. Nobody's beliefs/mindset/attitudes are reflected perfectly all the time, so someone can have a bad behavior day, but in general, the behavior is a symptom or a result of a belief.

I believe that is correct. :smile:

Edit: I have to remind myself that things like this, a witty quip on a chalkboard or a muse in a meme, are not meant to convey truth in the broadest of terms. There are typically exceptions but overall they have meaningful ideas.

"I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
  • Options
    CalvinAndHoboCalvinAndHobo Posts: 2,947 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think it's true that the behavior is usually a symptom of the actual belief. I also think if the behavior doesn't match the proclaimed belief, then it's just virtue signaling, and not a real belief that the person actually believes in their heart. If someone tells me they believe something and acts in a manner that's different from that, I'm going to count their actions as the truth about what they really believe.

• Options
    d_bladesd_blades Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭✭✭

Biden had been "wrong on nearly every major foreign policy and national security issue over the past four decades."

Robert Gates

Don't let the wife know what you spend on guns, ammo or cigars.

• Options
    Hobbes86Hobbes86 Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭✭✭

@CalvinAndHobo said:
    I think it's true that the behavior is usually a symptom of the actual belief. I also think if the behavior doesn't match the proclaimed belief, then it's just virtue signaling, and not a real belief that the person actually believes in their heart. If someone tells me they believe something and acts in a manner that's different from that, I'm going to count their actions as the truth about what they really believe.

Do you include someone who falters from what they claim to believe once in a while? Or are you only referring to someone who habitually deviates from their claimed beliefs?

"Iron sharpens iron, and one man sharpens another." - Proverbs 27:17

• Options
    CalvinAndHoboCalvinAndHobo Posts: 2,947 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Hobbes86 said:

@CalvinAndHobo said:

Do you include someone who falters from what they claim to believe once in a while? Or are you only referring to someone who habitually deviates from their claimed beliefs?

The second one.

• Options
    Hobbes86Hobbes86 Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭✭✭

@CalvinAndHobo said:
    The second one.

That's what I figured, but I didn't want to assume.

"Iron sharpens iron, and one man sharpens another." - Proverbs 27:17

• Options
    silvermousesilvermouse Posts: 19,345 ✭✭✭✭✭

"Clever tyrants are never punished":
    --Voltaire

• Options

"I am not a Know-Nothing. That is certain. How could I be? How can any one who abhors the oppression of negroes, be in favor or degrading classes of white people? Our progress in degeneracy appears to me to be pretty rapid. As a nation, we began by declaring that "all men are created equal." We now practically read it "all men are created equal, except negroes" When the Know-Nothings get control, it will read "all men are created equal, except negroes, and foreigners, and Catholics." When it comes to this I should prefer emigrating to some country where they make no pretence of loving liberty -- to Russia, for instance, where despotism can be taken pure, and without the base alloy of hypocracy [sic]."

https://www.abrahamlincolnonline.org/lincoln/speeches/speed.htm

• Options
    peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,511 ✭✭✭✭✭

"I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
  • Options
    ShawnOLShawnOL Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

This Chesterton quy is an Iron Maiden fan.

Trapped in the People's Communits Republic of Massachusetts.

• Options
    YaksterYakster Posts: 25,901 ✭✭✭✭✭

It was probably a large one.

Join us on Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • Options

We thought, because we had power, we had wisdom.
    --Stephen Vincent Benet

• Options

“Nietzsche was the one who did the job for me. At a certain moment in his life,the idea came to him of what he called 'the love of your fate.' Whatever your fate is, whatever the hell happens, you say, 'This is what I need.' It may look like a wreck, but go at it as though it were an opportunity, a challenge. If you bring love to that moment--not discouragement--you will find the strength is there. Any disaster you can survive is an improvement in your character, your stature, and your life. What a privilege! This is when the spontaneity of your own nature will have a chance to flow.
    “Then, when looking back at your life, you will see that the moments which seemed to be great failures followed by wreckage were the incidents that shaped the life you have now. You’ll see that this is really true. Nothing can happen to you that is not positive. Even though it looks and feels at the moment like a negative crisis, it is not. The crisis throws you back, and when you are required to exhibit strength, it comes.” —Joseph Campbell
    (Reflections on the Art of Living: https://amzn.to/3slp7Vr #ad)

• Options

I have a theory that the moment one gives close attention to anything, even a blade of grass, it becomes a mysterious, awesome, indescribably magnificent world in itself. I have tried this experiment a thousand times and I have never been disappointed. The more I look at a thing, the more I see in it, and the more I see in it, the more I want to see. It is like peeling an onion. There is always another layer, and another, and another. And each layer is more beautiful than the last.
    This is the way I look at the world. I don't see it as a collection of objects, but as a vast and mysterious organism. I see the beauty in the smallest things, and I find wonder in the most ordinary events. I am always looking for the hidden meaning, the secret message. I am always trying to understand the mystery of life.
    I know that I will never understand everything, but that doesn't stop me from trying. I am content to live in the mystery, to be surrounded by the unknown. I am content to be a seeker, a pilgrim, a traveler on the road to nowhere. ~Henry Miller

• Options
    OutdoorsSmoke_21191OutdoorsSmoke_21191 Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭✭✭

A good cigar and whiskey solve most problems.

• Options

• Options

• Options