Comments

• Options
    OldGnomeOldGnome Posts: 58 ✭✭✭

Don’t forget - he’s also likely tired.
    =-=-=-=
    Just an Old Gnome
  • Options
    Sleddog46Sleddog46 Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Surrender  to what is. Let go of what was. Have faith in what will be. Unknown
    You can't dispel Ignorance if you retain Arrogance!
  • Options
    YaksterYakster Posts: 26,313 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Your pain is the breaking of the shell that encloses your understanding. Kahlil Gibran
    Join us on Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • Options
    silvermousesilvermouse Posts: 19,638 ✭✭✭✭✭

Opinion is really the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding. The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another's world.
    --Bill Bullard
  • Options
    Trykflyr_1Trykflyr_1 Posts: 2,503 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hold mah beer an' watch this!
    I'm still troubled by what I did for that Klondike bar...
  • Options
    TBonzTBonz Posts: 554 ✭✭✭✭✭

“Give a man a fish and he has food for a day; teach him how to fish and you can get rid of him for the entire weekend.”

- Zenna Schaffer

• Options
    “Moral certainty is always a sign of cultural inferiority. The more uncivilized the man, the surer he is that he knows precisely what is right and what is wrong. All human progress, even in morals, has been the work of men who have doubted the current moral values, not of men who have whooped them up and tried to enforce them. The truly civilized man is always skeptical and tolerant, in this field as in all others. His culture is based on "I am not too sure.”
    ― H.L. Mencken
  • Options
    OldGnomeOldGnome Posts: 58 ✭✭✭
    “Moral certainty is always a sign of cultural inferiority. The more uncivilized the man, the surer he is that he knows precisely what is right and what is wrong. All human progress, even in morals, has been the work of men who have doubted the current moral values, not of men who have whooped them up and tried to enforce them. The truly civilized man is always skeptical and tolerant, in this field as in all others. His culture is based on "I am not too sure.”
    ― H.L. Mencken
    Frankly, Mencken is full of .... it here. Without the moral basis of the Bible, humankind would not have most of our current legal structure. The Bible provides a clear distinction between right and wrong. You may disagree with some of the Bible's details, but attention to those details has kept human civilization on the right track for thousands of years.
    =-=-=-=
    Just an Old Gnome
  • Options
    peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,705 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2019
    ...might come back to this if/when I can put my thoughts together.
    "I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
  • Options
    Let's put this critical part right here where you can see it or touch it, but not both.  And I designed it  so it'll NEVER break anyway.  Oh yeah, let's use screws & nuts instead of bolts too!

Every aeronautical engineer ever....
  • Options
    “Another source of fallacy is the vicious circle of illusions which consists on the one hand of believing what we see, and on the other in seeing what we believe.”
    ― Thomas Clifford Allbutt
  • Options
    “The critical habit of thought, if usual in society, will pervade all its mores, because it is a way of taking up the problems of life. Men educated in it cannot be stampeded by stump orators ... They are slow to believe. They can hold things as possible or probable in all degrees, without certainty and without pain. They can wait for evidence and weigh evidence, uninfluenced by the emphasis or confidence with which assertions are made on one side or the other. They can resist appeals to their dearest prejudices and all kinds of cajolery. Education in the critical faculty is the only education of which it can be truly said that it makes good citizens.”
    ― William Graham Sumner
  • Options
    IndustMechIndustMech Posts: 4,730 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What a fool believes he sees

-- M. McDonald and K. Loggins

I know, You're a big dog and I'm on the list.
    Let's eat, GrandMa.  /  Let's eat GrandMa.  --  Punctuation saves lives

It'll be fine once the swelling goes down.

• Options
    ShawnOLShawnOL Posts: 8,694 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The wise man has the power....

Trapped in the People's Communits Republic of Massachusetts.

• Options
    Captain_CallCaptain_Call Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The days I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations, I have really good days. 
    -Ray Wiley Hubbard
  • Options
    CharlieHeisCharlieHeis Posts: 8,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A man has got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer. - My dad's refrigerator magnet 
  • Options
    CharlieHeisCharlieHeis Posts: 8,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I ain't got a dime but what I've got is mine, I ain't rich but Lord I'm free  - George Strait 
  • Options
    “The Seven Social Sins are:

Wealth without work.
    Pleasure without conscience.
    Knowledge without character.
    Commerce without morality.
    Science without humanity.
    Worship without sacrifice.
    Politics without principle.

From a sermon given by Frederick Lewis Donaldson in Westminster Abbey, London, on March 20, 1925.”
    ― Frederick Lewis Donaldson
  • Options
    “Now and then it's good to pause in our pursuit of happiness and just be happy.”
    ― Guillaume Apollinaire
  • Options

“To laugh often and much; to win the respect of intelligent people and the affection of children… to leave the world a better place… to know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived. This is to have succeeded.”

- Ralph Waldo Emerson

• Options

“Kindness is a language which the deaf can hear and the and the blind can see.”

- Mark Twain

• Options
    tabakotabako Posts: 365 ✭✭✭✭

• Options

"Humankind cannot bear very much reality."

~ T.S. Eliot ~

• Options

“Be soft. Do not let the world make you hard. Do not let pain make you hate. Do not let the bitterness steal your sweetness. Take pride that even though the rest of the world may disagree, you still believe it to be a beautiful place.”

- Kurt Vonnegut.

• Options
    “They always say time changes things, but you actually have to change them yourself.”
    ― Andy Warhol
  • Options
    Image may contain text
  • Options
    Fvck these woke ****brains, all of them.  I'm sick of their bullsh*t.   

Kim du Toit