Home Non Cigar Related
Options

Funions and Fabylons

Comments

• Options
    webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    “It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• Options
    deadmandeadman Posts: 8,804 ✭✭✭✭✭

• Options
    “It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• Options
    Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭✭✭

From another forum:

In Heaven,
    Your cook is Italian
    Your mechanic is German
    Your policeman is English
    Your lover is French
    It's organized by the Swiss

In Hell:
    Your cook is English
    Your mechanic is French
    Your policeman is German
    Your lover is Swiss
    It's all organized by the Italians.

WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • Options
    peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,544 ✭✭✭✭✭

New Evidence Indicates Critical Race Theory Escaped From A Lab In A College Humanities Department

"I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
  • Options
    YaksterYakster Posts: 25,973 ✭✭✭✭✭

****, I noticed last night as I was pre-heating my coffee roaster and launching the roaster app that it wanted to install an update. Since I had at least twenty minutes I let it go ahead, but it's done that to me several times and it makes me nervous that I may end up roasting without the software working.

Good thing I'm comfortable enough to do this, when my old laptop died it was at least a month or two before I picked up a new one and I just roasted manually.

Join us on Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • Options

• Options
    silvermousesilvermouse Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭✭

Celebrating Tampa Bay’s Super Bowl victory at the White House, Tom Brady took a jab at Trump, joking: “I think about 40 percent of the people still don’t think we won.”

• Options

• Options

Backed-Up Cargo Ships Positioned To Spell Out ‘Let’s Go Brandon’

https://babylonbee.com/news/backed-up-cargo-ships-positioned-to-spell-out-lets-go-brandon

• Options

• Options
    Hobbes86Hobbes86 Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2022

"Iron sharpens iron, and one man sharpens another." - Proverbs 27:17

• Options

• Options

• Options
    ShawnOLShawnOL Posts: 8,549 ✭✭✭✭✭

But it's a DUDE! they weren't actually picking on a woman.

Trapped in the People's Communits Republic of Massachusetts.

• Options

So, in the war to ensure free speech, you're invited to shut your pie-hole? We must have uniformity of opinion if we're to protect one's right to individual expression?

My wife used to say that we grow old and die because we realize that the world is just becoming too stupid to continue living in.

WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • Options
    ShawnOLShawnOL Posts: 8,549 ✭✭✭✭✭

Your wife was right.

Trapped in the People's Communits Republic of Massachusetts.

• Options

@Amos_Umwhat said:

My wife used to say that we grow old and die because we realize that the world is just becoming too stupid to continue living in.

Not the world, it's a uniquely human situation, the rest of life is getting on just fine.

• Options
    CalvinAndHoboCalvinAndHobo Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Amos_Umwhat said:
    So, in the war to ensure free speech, you're invited to shut your pie-hole? We must have uniformity of opinion if we're to protect one's right to individual expression?

Twitter isn't run by the government. The only thing worse than them banning people for saying certain things, would be the government telling them that they couldn't. It's a private company, they can do as they please (but I don't need to give them my business). Anyone saying that they shouldn't be allowed to do that (which no one has said yet, to be clear) is someone who isn't actually conservative and someone who I wouldn't listen to. I have never understood why conservatives seem to be the ones complaining about companies banning people, you'd think it'd be the opposite. If someone only allows the free market when it aligns with their morals, then they don't actually support a free market.

• Options

funny how fluid the terms 'liberal' and 'conservative' are.

• Options

@silvermouse said:
    funny how fluid the terms 'liberal' and 'conservative' are.

Yeah, I should have said "I have never understood why republicans seem to be the ones complaining about companies banning people", since that's not the same thing as a conservative today.

• Options

@CalvinAndHobo said:

@Amos_Umwhat said:

Twitter isn't run by the government. The only thing worse than them banning people for saying certain things, would be the government telling them that they couldn't. It's a private company, they can do as they please (but I don't need to give them my business). Anyone saying that they shouldn't be allowed to do that (which no one has said yet, to be clear) is someone who isn't actually conservative and someone who I wouldn't listen to. I have never understood why conservatives seem to be the ones complaining about companies banning people, you'd think it'd be the opposite. If someone only allows the free market when it aligns with their morals, then they don't actually support a free market.

I think you recognize that I never mentioned government. You make some really good points. I wonder though, after seeing the Facebook folks in front of Congress etc., how well will our government be able to protect actual freedoms from suppression by the well-organized and well-funded minorities? Also, when the established members of the "4th estate" all simply conform to a particular, biased point of view? And, how involved is the Government, or at least its members, or, more importantly, the elite forces that its member actually respond to?

Here's the things that worry me. This morning I hear on the news that for a minute, Russian Media reported what appeared to be accurate numbers regarding Russian casualty and loss in the Ukraine war. Then, it all disappeared. Control the history, control the story, you control a lot.

So, how's that relate? Right now, all across the country, book bans are going into place. Not new, really, but anathema to freedom. At the same time, school libraries are disappearing, not seen in this country before. So, the argument, "Well, computer books save us so much space, etc., etc., blah blah". What else could happen? Well, all the computer 'books' could suddenly have their text changed. Everywhere. So, suddenly John 3:16 reads "For God so loved the world that he gave nuclear weapons to his favored tribe so they could...".

I deliberately put forth an absurd example, no need to point that out. A little paranoid? Maybe. I think that's what they usually say about those who saw what was coming, before it happened. Ever notice that most of what George Orwell wrote about came to be? Maybe more than we know.

• Options

@Amos_Umwhat said:

@CalvinAndHobo said:

@Amos_Umwhat said:

I think you recognize that I never mentioned government. You make some really good points. I wonder though, after seeing the Facebook folks in front of Congress etc., how well will our government be able to protect actual freedoms from suppression by the well-organized and well-funded minorities? Also, when the established members of the "4th estate" all simply conform to a particular, biased point of view? And, how involved is the Government, or at least its members, or, more importantly, the elite forces that its member actually respond to?

Here's the things that worry me. This morning I hear on the news that for a minute, Russian Media reported what appeared to be accurate numbers regarding Russian casualty and loss in the Ukraine war. Then, it all disappeared. Control the history, control the story, you control a lot.

So, how's that relate? Right now, all across the country, book bans are going into place. Not new, really, but anathema to freedom. At the same time, school libraries are disappearing, not seen in this country before. So, the argument, "Well, computer books save us so much space, etc., etc., blah blah". What else could happen? Well, all the computer 'books' could suddenly have their text changed. Everywhere. So, suddenly John 3:16 reads "For God so loved the world that he gave nuclear weapons to his favored tribe so they could...".

I deliberately put forth an absurd example, no need to point that out. A little paranoid? Maybe. I think that's what they usually say about those who saw what was coming, before it happened. Ever notice that most of what George Orwell wrote about came to be? Maybe more than we know.

It really is incredible how many problems such as this one, regarding private companies being involved in government, could be easily solved just by imposing terms limits and banning stock trading from congressmen and their families (and actually enforcing said ban). Something that EVERYONE on both sides supports. Until then, it's not even worth trying to fix since it wouldn't work. Oh well.

• Options
    Rdp77Rdp77 Posts: 6,129 ✭✭✭✭✭

I completely agree with you @CalvinAndHobo that they are private companies and I do not have to give them my business. If they remained private no one would have a right to complain; however, they are not. First, they are a publicly traded company which means exactly that…they are not privately owned. They are now publicly owned by thousands of different individuals. But even besides that…they use government satellites and protections therefore they have government and public scrutiny…at least they should.
    Let me ask you this…if a Sikh was refused service inside of Walmart because he would not remove his pagri does he have grounds for a discrimination suit?

• Options

@Rdp77 said:
    I completely agree with you @CalvinAndHobo that they are private companies and I do not have to give them my business. If they remained private no one would have a right to complain; however, they are not. First, they are a publicly traded company which means exactly that…they are not privately owned. They are now publicly owned by thousands of different individuals. But even besides that…they use government satellites and protections therefore they have government and public scrutiny…at least they should.
    Let me ask you this…if a Sikh was refused service inside of Walmart because he would not remove his pagri does he have grounds for a discrimination suit?

With todays laws he does of course, but I know that's not what you're asking. Were I magically the dictator of the country, I wouldn't let any private companies use any government satellites, and I would let that Walmart make that decision if they wanted to. They'd then have to deal with the consequences of it, such as public outcry and the loss of business from an entire ethnic group, as well as those who are sympathetic to them, but I'd let them do it. It's similar to my view on hate speech, I think you should have the right to slur someone, as long as the person who gets slurred has the right to punch you in the face.