Home Non Cigar Related
Options

Funions and Fabylons

12346»

Comments

• Options
    Rdp77Rdp77 Posts: 6,129 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2022

My main point is that these huge companies are no longer privately owned.
    If you own your own business I am 100% behind the fact that each and every decision is yours. Who and how you serve. When and why…everything. But when a company makes the decision to sign up and let the public and government buy into their business then they must deal with the scrutiny that comes along.
    I’m a firm believer in leave me the hell alone and I’ll leave you alone. When they stop taxing me and giving the money to companies like this I’ll quit bītching about it lol.

• Options
    CalvinAndHoboCalvinAndHobo Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Rdp77 said:
    My main point is that these huge companies are no longer privately owned.
    If you own your own business I am 100% behind the fact that each and every decision is yours. Who and how you serve. When and why…everything. But when a company makes the decision to sign up and let the public and government buy into their business then they must deal with the scrutiny that comes along.
    I’m a firm believer in leave me the hell alone and I’ll leave you alone. When they stop taxing me and giving the money to companies like this I’ll quit bītching about it lol.

Very fair points, I just think the solution is to get the businesses out of the government, as opposed to getting the government more involved with the businesses by passing more rules about things that just have a republican tilt this time.
    There's a parallel here regarding cancel culture in my opinion. One way to "cancel out" cancel culture is to support the business that's undergoing the canceling. The other way to do it is to try to get a bunch of liberal companies cancelled in retaliation (the NFL comes to mind regarding this second tactic). Someone going with option 2 while at the same time saying they oppose cancel culture is hypocritical. So if someone wants the government to stay out of the way regarding the free market, then I don't think they should then be able to say "except for social media, they need to do something about that and I'm going to complain about it". Again though just to reiterate, I know you didn't say that and no one else has yet either.

• Options
    webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭

@CalvinAndHobo said:

Twitter isn't run by the government. The only thing worse than them banning people for saying certain things, would be the government telling them that they couldn't. It's a private company, they can do as they please...

It's not that big tech is run by government. It's that big tech provides censorship by proxy in exchange for freedom from onerous regulation.

Here we have an administration which, for example, admits that it goes so far as to advise fakebook which users to censor.

“It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• Options
    d_bladesd_blades Posts: 3,752 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2022

@webmost said:

@CalvinAndHobo said:

Twitter isn't run by the government. The only thing worse than them banning people for saying certain things, would be the government telling them that they couldn't. It's a private company, they can do as they please...

It's not that big tech is run by government. It's that big tech provides censorship by proxy in exchange for freedom from onerous regulation.

Here we have an administration which, for example, admits that it goes so far as to advise fakebook which users to censor.

You heard the government is paying/sponsoring/providing content for Twitter influencers? It's definitely "right think” time as previewed by Orwell.

Don't let the wife know what you spend on guns, ammo or cigars.

• Options
    CalvinAndHoboCalvinAndHobo Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭✭✭

@webmost said:

@CalvinAndHobo said:

Agreed. One of many reasons to not support those companies. It's not, however, a reason to betray ones core beliefs regarding the role of government in general.

• Options

@CalvinAndHobo said:

@webmost said:

@CalvinAndHobo said:

Agreed. One of many reasons to not support those companies. It's not, however, a reason to betray ones core beliefs regarding the role of government in general.

Then our core beliefs are doomed to fail.

“It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• Options

• Options

• Options
    Hobbes86Hobbes86 Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2022

"Iron sharpens iron, and one man sharpens another." - Proverbs 27:17

• Options

• Options

• Options

• Options

• Options
    edited May 2022

• Options

• Options