Home General Discussion
Options

Perdomo and Me

Gentlemen,

So I have been coming on here since January pedaling Perdomo videos. The truth is, I made those videos and I could not have done it without your help. Your feedback was priceless to me and I apologize for misleading you into thinking I was just a fan. I know there are a few people in here who are not fans of Nick Perdomo and I understand why…especially now.

I am a photographer/videographer. I have been working on projects for Perdomo for 3 years now and had to put up with a lot, but the work was consistent, and he always paid his invoices immediately. About this time last year, I started trying to convince Nick that he needed a YouTube channel as no other manufacturer was taking advantage of the platform. I put together a presentation and sold him on it. Well at first he said it's "stupid and a waste of time." But I had put together some really solid numbers and promised him a net positive ROI within 18 months. We started filming in December of 2019 and that is when I started coming here to pick your brains for solid info and you guys never let me down. I really cannot emphasize that enough. The collective knowledge here is the best I found on the internet, and I was all over the internet. (Big shout out to @KrispyKremeKiller on the cigar subReddit too).

Well, the project turned out to perform much better than I had sold it to be and was net positive within 6 months and that was despite having to make several videos that set us back but I had to make to appease Nick and his VP.

I had to do some free work to prove the concept and invest a lot of my own money to get everything up and running. We also agreed to do the rest of the videos at a discounted rate as long as he guaranteed me 18 months to prove it will make money for him. He said he only does "handshake deals" and that "his hand shake is his word, and his word is the most important thing to him." Of course, I knew this was bullshit, but I also knew it would work and the YouTube channel would be a successful investment. Plus, I wasn't just some contractor. I regularly hung out with Nick and his family.

Fast forward to June of 2020 and our numbers were insane. We were projected to overtake all other cigar related YouTube channels within a year and Perdomo was hitting record breaking month after record breaking month. I could prove a Net positive ROI of $20k a month directly related to the YouTube channel, but I knew it was more than double that.

This is when Nick Perdomo showed his true colors. We setup a meeting one day to talk about the next videos we were to work on. That is what I thought we were doing anyways. In reality, Nick wanted to blindside me. When I showed up that morning, he had all of his highest ranking staff and himself waiting.

Before I talk about what happened in that meeting, you must understand, we had a strong relationship. I had done that man tons of favors, free work, gifts and dinners, shot his daughter’s wedding, and regularly had dinners with him and his family. His son is a great friend of mine as well as his daughter and their significant others. I also have a great relationship with his mom, his wife, and his Director of Operations. I even stayed in his house with him in Nicaragua, something he only reserves for his most elite guests.

That is why I was comfortable sharing with him that I had been turning down other contracts with my clients because I really wanted to focus on making the YouTube channel the best it could be. When Covid hit, my other business began to dry up and I let him know that as well because he would ask and seemed genuinely interested in my wellbeing. In hindsight, this was a mistake on my part.

Well, Nick took that information and turned it on me. That meeting was supposed to be about scripts and ideas. He didn't want me to prepare a presentation to defend the product, and despite the fact that he was breaking all kinds of sales records on top of receiving a lot of PPP forgivable loan money, and on top of the project being net positive, Nick saw an opportunity to shake me down and offered to only pay 50% of what we had agreed on, which was already 40% off of my original asking price. He said "I'm your only client right now, you should be thankful for all that I've done for you."

I’m sure he was waiting for me to counter offer, and I know he absolutely wanted to keep moving forward with the project because it was very lucrative and was growing rapidly. However, I refused to back down on my price. I had not only been doing free work for proof of concept, but I invested a lot of my own money into it as well. When I refused to back down on my price reminding him of our hand shake deal, that is when he said "You don't know how to run a business, you’re just a stupid kid, I'm your only client" That's when I said "I was doing very well for myself before I met you and I am sure I will do very well moving forward. I don't need this project." He didn't like that. He started saying some offensive things to me and I left the room.

I’m not going to lie, I was upset with Nick and his opportunist ways. Some may say that he’s just a good business man, but the product was making quite a bit of money for Nick and I know he wants to continue because he has put out several videos since then that are barely making a dent because whomever he hired is not performing the back end work that is key to the channels success. I don’t think it’s good business to shoot a rapidly growing marketing strategy in the foot. Also, because he wanted to do a handshake deal, I still have full copyright of all the footage and never gave him usage rights nor the licenses to the music used in the videos. I am in talks with a couple of other manufacturers at the moment and am excited about the future. I still smoke Perdomo cigars because the man does make a good product, but we have not talked since that day. Oddly enough, I ran into Nicholas, his son, in Tampa when I was meeting with some people in the industry (turns out they were burned by Nick before too). Nicholas and I are still friends which is great because he’s a good man.

I'm curious about what you guys think of this situation. I know I made some mistakes and some of you will have no problem letting me know that. But I believe the best lessons are learned from regrets, I definitely have regrets. I am also curious if anyone else has stories about their encounters with Nick.

Comments

• Options
    peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,477 ✭✭✭✭✭

Boo-Hoooo...

"I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
  • Options
    TNBigfoot68TNBigfoot68 Posts: 2,742 ✭✭✭✭✭

Oh my. I have nothing to add, other than to say how sorry I am that you had to go through all of this.

I was born a fool, and just got bigger!
  • Options
    EgoBoundaryEgoBoundary Posts: 2,176 ✭✭✭✭✭

That’s tough to hear man, this industry seems to be filled with nice guys, but I have heard on other podcasts that Nick is hard to work with. I am sorry to hear you got burned ... those videos are top notch, and I am sure your efforts would be valuable to any company...

• Options
    YaksterYakster Posts: 25,842 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2020

That took a twist, I was expecting to hear that Nick called you in and did something fantastic to reward you for your work.

I agree with Ernest (@EgoBoundary) above, the video production values are high and you'll find a company that values your work.

Join us on Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • Options
    Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,462 ✭✭✭✭✭

I used to smoke a lot of Perdomo cigars, but stopped buying them a couple years back. I can't remember the who's or what's involved, but others have described much the same behavior that you just did.

I have no use for a bully. I grew up moving every couple years, went to 9 different school systems and learned that for me it was always better to stand and fight, even if I knew I'd lose. But, that's another story, or stories. Nick Perdomo strikes me as a bully. I don't buy Perdomo cigars for that reason.

One of the greatest challenges for people who are hard working, motivated, creative, honest and ethical is recognizing that there are others out there who only appear to be those things. They may be hard working, motivated, and creative, but they only advertise their ethical persona, it doesn't really exist. They are Satan.

WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • Options
    edited August 2020

What's the point of posting this now? It seems it's just someone who got screwed and is bitter about it. It'd have been better to bury it and deal with it privately. First, you join with less-than-scrupulous intentions, and then you give us your side of a story that has nothing to do with us. So what's the point, and what are your motives now? To come clean? That would've been accomplished with just the first paragraph.

One of my maxims is 'don't bad-mouth someone if they're not present to defend themselves.' And another one is 'private sins shouldn't be dealt with publicly'.

I guess I don't understand what you're up to, and why.

Edit: apart from all that, pull up a chair, light a stick, and hang around.

• Options
    Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,104 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm hearing only one side of a bad situation. NP might agree that it's a bad situation too but have another outlook on it. From what you've said, you got burned. Better luck with your next enterprise.

When you first started posting, my first impression was, I kinda thought you might be in the cigar industry in some way. But, you've always stimulated some good conversations with your posts, and you didn't have a chip on your shoulder like some newbies do, and I got used to having you around so much that I had forgotten all about my first impression. LOL.

• Options
    VisionVision Posts: 7,802 ✭✭✭✭✭

@peter4jc said:
    What's the point of posting this now? It seems it's just someone who got screwed and is bitter about it. It'd have been better to bury it and deal with it privately. First, you join with less-than-scrupulous intentions, and then you give us your side of a story that has nothing to do with us. So what's the point, and what are your motives now? To come clean? That would've been accomplished with just the first paragraph.

One of my maxims is 'don't bad-mouth someone if they're not present to defend themselves.' And another one is 'private sins shouldn't be dealt with publicly'.

I guess I don't understand what you're up to, and why.

Edit: apart from all that, pull up a chair, light a stick, and hang around.

I always deal with my public sins privately.

• Options
    ScotchnSmokeScotchnSmoke Posts: 134

@Bob_Luken Thanks man, I appreciate that. I'm a former Spec Ops guy, my skin isn't as thick as it once was, but it's still tough to penetrate, I figured I would run into the salty dogs and honestly, those are my favorite kinda guys. But the honest truth is, I love learning. I have been smoking cigars for 17 years, but the bug really got me a few years ago and I wanted to learn everything. You and the other BOTL here are a rich source of info with a little tough love to boot.

• Options
    TX98Z28TX98Z28 Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭✭✭

Don't take offense to this, I am only trying to help you here.

Never ever do ANY work for someone for free especially a shark business man... (exception someone truly in need or a very close friend, still a judgement call).

Everything is in a legal contract, handshake deals were for 1920 not 2020, people have changed a lot, a lot of people especially big business men/woman are extremely dishonest now a days, thats how most get wealthy is fvcking people over.

With everything I said, right or wrong he tested you and you failed. You basically told him "I'm easy to manipulate" and he took full advantage of the situation.

To be perfectly clear you and Mr.Perdomo are NOT friends! If you continue to do business with this man you're a God damn fool!

Look at this as a valuable life lesson and move on.

If you quote me do the @TX98Z28 in your text or I won't be notified of your quote, Thanks.
  • Options
    Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,104 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Scotch_n_Smoke, I've said this so many times it seems like a tired old phrase but, you'll learn more here in a couple of years than you would learn in ten years on your own visiting B&Ms. There are so many great guys in this community. Stick around. And get on the V-herf for some live action too.

• Options

@Bob_Luken said:
    @Scotch_n_Smoke, I've said this so many times it seems like a tired old phrase but, you'll learn more here in a couple of years than you would learn in ten years on your own visiting B&Ms. There are so many great guys in this community. Stick around. And get on the V-herf for some live action too.

I’ve learned at a lot of B&Ms they like to recommend Perdomo at B&Ms

• Options
    0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭

Never turn your back on a businessman.
    Their knives are long and sharp.
    Even worse when you do business with a person you consider a "friend".
    Unless you have a contract, you will not be friends by the end of it.
    I've made that mistake.

If it ain't in writing, it ain't happening.

In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
  • Options

@peter4jc You're right, it's not good form and looks bad on my character. I tried to be as subtle as possible and even rewrote this post several times to tone it down. There is much more detail that would be damaging that I left out though. But I wanted to get it off my chest and even hear the criticism of my own actions to help learn further from this situation.

I had a great relationship with the guys at Perdomo. I would drop by in my free time to hang out with them. He really does have a great team. My last time stepping foot in the office was to drop off some of the new product I was taking photos of and none of those guys would look me in the eye. I have no clue what Nick said about me after I left, but it wasn't anything good, I know that. If anything, posting this puts me on his level at the very least. The only difference is, none of you have a personal connection with him as I did with the guys that work there.

I also agree with @Bob_Luken that this is only one side of the story. I never take anything at face value and don't expect others to either. None of you know me at all really. But if you listen to Nick's earlier interviews and podcasts, he talks highly of my work and commitment and the idea to start the YouTube channel. If you listen to any of his interviews since that day, Like the 2Guys Podcast or Cigars Daily with Tim, he takes full credit for everything. I'm not saying he shouldn't, but that shows you a little bit about his character as much as this post shows you about mine.... which is vaguely little I guess.....lol.

• Options
    silvermousesilvermouse Posts: 19,305 ✭✭✭✭✭

Lesson learned: don't work for friends for money, and if you do build a clear distinction about how you are relating to them with a contract.

Mending Wall
    BY ROBERT FROST
    Something there is that doesn't love a wall,
    That sends the frozen-ground-swell under it,
    And spills the upper boulders in the sun;
    And makes gaps even two can pass abreast.
    The work of hunters is another thing:
    I have come after them and made repair
    Where they have left not one stone on a stone,
    But they would have the rabbit out of hiding,
    To please the yelping dogs. The gaps I mean,
    No one has seen them made or heard them made,
    But at spring mending-time we find them there.
    I let my neighbor know beyond the hill;
    And on a day we meet to walk the line
    And set the wall between us once again.
    We keep the wall between us as we go.
    To each the boulders that have fallen to each.
    And some are loaves and some so nearly balls
    We have to use a spell to make them balance:
    ‘Stay where you are until our backs are turned!’
    We wear our fingers rough with handling them.
    Oh, just another kind of out-door game,
    One on a side. It comes to little more:
    There where it is we do not need the wall:
    He is all pine and I am apple orchard.
    My apple trees will never get across
    And eat the cones under his pines, I tell him.
    He only says, ‘Good fences make good neighbors.’
    Spring is the mischief in me, and I wonder
    If I could put a notion in his head:
    ‘Why do they make good neighbors? Isn't it
    Where there are cows? But here there are no cows.
    Before I built a wall I'd ask to know
    What I was walling in or walling out,
    And to whom I was like to give offense.
    Something there is that doesn't love a wall,
    That wants it down.’ I could say ‘Elves’ to him,
    But it's not elves exactly, and I'd rather
    He said it for himself. I see him there
    Bringing a stone grasped firmly by the top
    In each hand, like an old-stone savage armed.
    He moves in darkness as it seems to me,
    Not of woods only and the shade of trees.
    He will not go behind his father's saying,
    And he likes having thought of it so well
    He says again, ‘Good fences make good neighbors.’

• Options

@TX98Z28 I agree completely. No offense taken.

• Options

@Vision I will still refer out Perdomo cigars to others. He makes a great product.

• Options

@opatience That is very true. I have always kept everything in contract with all of my other clients. This one eluded me and and is a good lesson learned.

• Options

@silvermouse Robert Frost never disappoints.

• Options
  • Options

@Scotch_n_Smoke said:
    @Vision I will still refer out Perdomo cigars to others. He makes a great product.

As with anything else, "great product" is a matter of opinion.

In Fumo Pax

Wylaff said:
  • Options

@Scotch_n_Smoke said:

And you are entitled to your opinion. I personally prefer about 97.658548% cigars made by people not named Nick Perdomo. But that’s the idea of a forum right? To share opinions and experiences. My experiences tell me to smoke things I like by people I want to support.

• Options

@Vision said:
    My experiences tell me to smoke things I like by people I want to support.

^^This.

In Fumo Pax

Wylaff said:
  • Options
    ForMudForMud Posts: 2,336 ✭✭✭✭✭

Chalk it up as a lesson learned and move on. Business is business and personal is personal keep them separate.
    Don't burn bridges, it comes back to haunt you later.

• Options
    VegasFrankVegasFrank Posts: 16,755 ✭✭✭✭✭

At first I thought that Peter was just being Peter (Edit: forgot the eye roll), but as I reread all of your posts...yeah.

You pretty much came in here and lied to everyone. That would be infuriating, but a lot of us already knew...pretty transparent with the "Mr Perdomo" talk and what not. Some of us even called you out for being an employee at best, shill at worst. Looks like you are (were) both.

So he didn't buy your snake oil. Big deal. Sucks that you're out of a job or whatever and that he used his celebrity to play you, but you tried to play us, so whatever.

You say you still have copyright, but I think it's probably worthless. YouTube demonetized all tobacco content several months ago, and none of the other video platforms have a big enough cigar following for it to matter. So pretty much the videos are worthless. You can't do anything without being Nick Perdomo and he can't do anything with them without the copyright. My guess is that you'll sell The entire lot of them back to him for about a thousand bucks. Either that, or they will drift into Oblivion where they belong.

What's your point about coming over here and **** about it now? I don't think you are trying to hurt his business, because that would just hurt the videos that you ostensibly own. Unless it's an act of vengeance, which I doubt because you know that there are only 30 or 40 regulars here, and none of them smoke perdomo. In conjuring up my inner Peter, my best guess is that the ego side of you couldn't not let us know that you were the one who created the videos.

Cool. Doesn't matter. You'll either stick around and get over the tongue lashing that everyone is giving you, or you'll go away and we'll never know you. Doubt it will be the former. I don't really think you are much of a cigar smoker. I don't know why, just another feeling.....

Don't look ↑
  • Options
    edited August 2020

@Scotch_n_Smoke said:

Can you elaborate on “Great”?

Edit for punctuation

• Options
    Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,462 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2020

@Scotch_n_Smoke said:
    Thanks for the kind words @Yakster and @EgoBoundary and @Amos_Umwhat

There, FIFY.

:p

wanders off, mumbling, just barely heard are the words "chopped liver?"

:D

WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • Options

This whole thread is just odd. Pardon a third post from a crustymudgeon... If I or one of the regulars did a nasty thing and we felt as though we had betrayed the community's trust, it would make perfect sense to come forward, fess up, and repent. Maybe you feel like you were around a while and became part of the community - it's not up to me to say you're not, so I won't - and wanted to get it off your chest. I suspect other motives; NP stabbed me, so I'm outing him as a ****. That's what it seems to be.

Apart from that, we'll do our part to let you be a part of this community. And you do yours.