Home General Discussion
Options

Perdomo and Me

Comments

• Options
    rsherman24rsherman24 Posts: 6,886 ✭✭✭✭✭

Big business vs startup. Swallow your pride and sell him the videos for whatever you can get and hope it gets your foot in the door, or hold on to the videos to spite Perdomo and you have some useless videos and starting from scratch. Learn from your mistakes. 1. A handshake deal is useless (this should have been your first clue to run away), 2. Perdomo does not need your videos to sell cigars. The people that watch these type of videos usually do not smoke Perdomo.

Sorry for the lack of sympathy, but your marketing attempt to get us to watch and comment on your videos was very obvious and I never plan on smoking another Perdomo cigar in my lifetime.

• Options
    Gray4linesGray4lines Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭✭✭

Tldr should I buy Perdomos or no?

I actually cant remember the last Perdomo I smoked.

I think I saw some of those videos. They were good! Hate that you got burned, but I hope you can get another client and move on. Have an attorney write you a contract next time.

LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • Options
    Gray4linesGray4lines Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭✭✭

While we are being honest, is that actually you in the profile pic? I always assumed you were insane or a catfish and googled some tough guy's headshot for whatever reason. Look at all of our dumbass profile pictures. Yours sticks out!

The username doesnt help... it reads like someone portraying a cigar smoker, lol!

If it is you. I apologize, you look tough. Dont kick my @ss.

LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • Options
    VisionVision Posts: 7,862 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2020

@rsherman24 said:
    I never plan on smoking another Perdomo cigar in my lifetime.

I won’t buy one ever again. I have one left I’ll smoke and if gifted I’ll smoke and post in the “good cigar from” out of respect for the sender. Again.... I’ll support those who have earned my support.

• Options
    ScotchnSmokeScotchnSmoke Posts: 134

@VegasFrank You are wrong on almost all accounts sir.

Yes I did lie to everyone. You were right on that one. But I didn't just drop the video and leave, I stayed to hear everyone's feedback and commented back on almost every single comment. Same with the other ....50ish forums I dropped the videos on (it was a lot of work).

Snake Oil is a fake product, my product was real and working well. At our peak we hit 285k views in one month and it would have doubled in a few more months.

Copyright is where you missed the ball completely. With copyright I can do 3 copyright strikes and have the entire channel taken down never to be used again. As the channel is still getting 65k views a month and .5 to 2.5% of those views converting into sales of Perdomo cigars, he is making between $30k and $100k in gross revenue each month just off of that. Also we did have about 50% of our videos monetized but it was limited and was only making about $1k/month. By doing the copyright strike I can take away all of that and future cash flow as well as brand recognition. Also he is using footage I created for new videos so I can remove each of those as well. Typically a commercial copyright buyout starts around $10k for a handful of photos. He would need to shell out so much more as he doesn't have usage rights for any of the photos he's using at all. Those are copy written with the U.S. Copyright office. Each use of those images (thousands) is punishable up to $150,000 per infraction.

@peter4jc pretty much nailed it on the head. My motivation is, he pissed me off, I wanted to talk smack about him. Not do any real damage. And I was thinking about hwat you said earlier Peter about not airing private matters in public. I thought about it and I would like to invite you to take NP's factory tour. I promise you, the man will show his true colors. He talks so much smack about so many other people in the industry but would never say that stuff in his interviews... so I don't really feel that bad about venting here.

And your final point.... I am not going anywhere, I may not be a daily poster, but I do think this is one of the best communities for cigar knowledge and I will be around... if for nothing else than to prove you wrong :smile:

• Options

I’m not going to quote that but to add ...... do you honestly think your lawyers can beat his?

• Options

Ha ha ha!!!! Sorry @Amos_Umwhat you're right, my apologies.

I was very much the same as you. I went to 6 different elementary schools by 5th grade and didn't make any friends until High School really. I was bullied as the skinny twig I was, but this turned me into a resilient enough man to make it into one of the most elite programs in the world. And yes, I hate bullies too. I try to call them out as often as possible.... well, not so much lately as I have been more avoiding conflict for my own personal peace, but it's been bugging me lately.

• Options

@Vision I have smoked many other cigars.... probably a lot less than all the others here, but I have tried my fair share. And taste aside, Perdomo's are the most consistent in flavor, have the best build quality, almost never have pull issues as they really test every single cigar they make, and they have a ton of flavor... maybe too much in some cases.

The only thing I Don't like about Perdomo Cigars is that the last quarter always changes to a bland nutty flavor. But that first three quarters is a great experience. They are also powerful, I'm not big a nicotine hits, but some people are.

• Options
    VegasFrankVegasFrank Posts: 17,081 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2020

Whatever @Scotch_n_Smoke. 50 forums? You say that like it's a good thing. You're a spammer. The snake oil you sold was your friendship.

Disclaimer:  All trolling is provided for the sole entertainment purposes of the author only. Readers may find entertainment and hard core truths, but none are intended. Any resulting damaged feelings or arse chapping of the reader are the sole responsibility of the reader, to include, but not limited to: crying, anger, revenge pørn, and abandonment or deletion of ccom accounts. Offer void in Utah because Utah is terrible.
  • Options
    edited August 2020

Whatever dude you can't bullshï a bullshïtter. You'll never enforce your copyright because the number of views is more important to your portfolio than the money you could get from the videos themselves. If you do try to exercise a claim, he will pull those videos down himself after he downloads them, and then show them to the next videographer and say what a bad job you did. If you had any intention of ever exercising that claim, you would have done it already. Bluff called.

Besides that, you can't prove that 2% conversion rate because it doesn't exist. There's no passive advertising in the world that converts viewers to customers at that at a 2% rate, other than CBD oil. If you had any tangible evidence at all that you were converting 2% of the viewers to new customers, he'd make you vice president. Instead, you looked around the room when you walked in and said, "who's this guy?"

Piece of advice to the rest of the forum members, never take business tips from a shyster who just got shysted by a shyster.

Disclaimer:  All trolling is provided for the sole entertainment purposes of the author only. Readers may find entertainment and hard core truths, but none are intended. Any resulting damaged feelings or arse chapping of the reader are the sole responsibility of the reader, to include, but not limited to: crying, anger, revenge pørn, and abandonment or deletion of ccom accounts. Offer void in Utah because Utah is terrible.
  • Options

@Scotch_n_Smoke said:
    @Vision I have smoked many other cigars.... probably a lot less than all the others here, but I have tried my fair share. And taste aside, Perdomo's are the most consistent in flavor, have the best build quality, almost never have pull issues as they really test every single cigar they make, and they have a ton of flavor... maybe too much in some cases.

The only thing I Don't like about Perdomo Cigars is that the last quarter always changes to a bland nutty flavor. But that first three quarters is a great experience. They are also powerful, I'm not big a nicotine hits, but some people are.

Your taste, your money, your preference. I will never tell you not to smoke what you prefer

• Options

@Vision I don't need lawyers to do the copyright strike. YouTube is terrible about that stuff. You don't even have to prove copyright to take down a channel. It happens to YouTubers all the time and they have to spend days getting their channel back up and running just on the first strike. 3 strikes and your channel is gone forever.

As for the copyrighted images. Most cases you read about that go to trial are about basic copyright, not copy written with the USCO. Basic copyright is "I took the photo, I own it." but to prove in court that money is owed to you, you have to prove damages to your own business and/or prove your usual going rate for those specific images which he did pay. But since I have contracts with all of my other clients showing 1 year copyright usage and what I charge for it as well as have them copywritten with the USCO, his attorney would most likely advise him to settle. And if he pursues it in court and loses, he is responsible for my attorney fees. ... if he doesn't bankrupt me first. But with the evidence I have, most copyright attorneys would take the case on contingency.

• Options

Out of pure self respect if I were in your position I would never buy his mediocrity ever again. Heck.... if I have construction issues multiple times with a cigar I won’t buy it.

• Options
    edited August 2020

Anyone who studied business in business school will tell you that you're only entitled to what you could have gained from that person's use of your copyright. And while he judge could theoretically offer you more money than what they're worth on the open market, he won't. And what are those videos worth on the open market? A wise man once said, "In Philadelphia, it's worth 50 bucks."

The begs the question. If he's not paying you then why don't you sue? Because you wouldn't get anything.

You going to stay on the other 50 forums too? Snake oil.

• Options
    Diver43Diver43 Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just wow. Being local I have been by Perdomos more than a few times. I like some of his cigars and Nick was always polite and friendly when I stopped by. Chatted about his bad ass drum set in the office even.
    Wish you were more upfront with what you were doing, but guess you felt it better not to. Not surprising that Nick is a Douche, most highly successful businessmen are. Thought he was an exception taking time out for a small time customer.
    Guess when Covid clears, we wont be meeting at Perdomos for a smoke, maybe Cuban Crafters

Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • Options

@VegasFrank yes the 2% is a guesstimate, yes. However, I have always been extremely conservative with my numbers when presenting them. Hell, I told Nick we wouldn't hit 100k views until December. We did it in early May.

Anyways. The way I got the the ".05 - 2.5%" is.... I counted all of the comments per views (easy to do) and then counted every single comment that mentioned a purchase (I used TubeBuddy software to do this). With only .05% of viewers commenting and 5% of those comments being about purchases (not just new customers, but people who hadn't purchased a Perdomo in a long time), I assumed that we can at least cut that number down to half a percent to 2.5% because commenters tend to be more active. (Myself, I don't comment and buy products form good content creators). Also, many of those comments were about box purchases and even one guy detailed out a purchase of over $1k. However, I multiplied all views by .005 ($65k x .005 = 325). 325 purchases by a sampler pack $25 with every fifth purchase being a box $200. That comes out to an average of $60 average per purchase. 325 x $60 is $19,500 (or $97,500 for 2.5% at the top end) gross revenue or $10k to $45k net revenue. And that doesn't include all of the merchandise purchases (they didn't have a merch store when we started, I pushed for that) that are very trackable from the YouTube channel.

• Options

@Diver43 Sorry man, I thought it would give me up if we ran into each other in person. I would happily like to meet up with you anytime and your wife as well. I live near Smoke on the Water but go to Gallianos in the gables as well.

• Options

@Gray4lines Yes, that is my in the pic. It's actually a picture from my late 20's. I didn't want to use something that could be found on my social media accounts and give me up. Maybe a little overkill also a little more deceit to my already deceitful ways on here. But that is no longer.

• Options

@VegasFrank I have my reasons for right now, something I do not want to publicly disclose at the moment but will do when the time has come. And no, I have stopped commenting on the other forums, like I said, this one here is where I always liked posting the most ... and the entertaining cranky guys that make it so colorful.

And you're still using the snake oil term wrong. I met a guy at a cigar event who is testing snake oil infuses CBD. He told me the story behind that idiom and it's actually fascinating.

• Options

Can you do my taxes? :D:D:D:D:D That's the funniest math I've ever seen.

No wonder he laughed you out
    of the room. Even if the mentions of actual purchases was real, which it isn't, hardly any of those are actual new customers. Most of them are perdomo crotch sniffers who have been buying his crap for years. Videos like that don't attract new customers.

• Options

And I will use my analogy anyway I want to. I know where most people think that the saying comes from. Not only are you a business major, you're an English professor too! Sounds like someone I know...

• Options

@VegasFrank You're incorrigible.

Also, there were many other analytics that went into numbers like this, this is just quick math. I do have a bachelors in international business and marketing.

• Options

@VegasFrank T hanks buddy, just got my 3 stars responding to you. :smiley:

• Options

Your life's work is complete.

• Options

@VegasFrank I feel accomplished. You're the troll that must be passed to enter these forums.

• Options
    IndustMechIndustMech Posts: 4,733 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2020

@Scotch_n_Smoke said:
    @VegasFrank I feel accomplished. You're the troll that must be passed to enter these forums.

One of them...

Your doing well, btw

I know, You're a big dog and I'm on the list.
    Let's eat, GrandMa.  /  Let's eat GrandMa.  --  Punctuation saves lives

It'll be fine once the swelling goes down.

• Options

Let's do some more math. what if I see your $97,500 and raise you another $2,500 bucks. Let's call it an even 100 grand. That's a hundred grand in sales.

Cigar companies sell their products through their own in-house distribution channels to retailers at an average rate of 30% of MSRP. You can quote any fictitious number you want, but My buddy Will who owns three tobacco leaf stores in the Las Vegas area along with several other cigar stores quoted me this rate.

We went from 100 grand to 30 grand.

Now let's look at cost of goods sold. Typical cost of goods sold is about 50%, for any reasonably established industry. Slightly more in tobacco markets because of the extra lawyers you need and the vig that you have to pay the government. Let's just call it 60%, generously.

Now we go from 30 grand to 18 grand.

now let's just take a huge leap of faith and assume that 100% of those purchases were not brand new customers who would have bought something else instead of predomo. Let's just say, even though I think it's maybe 5%, that it's 50% of that population was a new purchaser and your video single-handedly redirected their money into Nick podomo's pocket.

Now we're down to 9,000 bucks.

$9,000 is less than the cost of the watch he was wearing. Even if you did earn the company $9,000, Nick berdomo isn't getting all 9,000 of it. he is reinvesting some of that capital back into his company. Let's just say that he pulls half of that $9,000 out so he can pay his dry cleaning bill.

We are down to 4500 bucks.

His marginal tax rate is a millionaire is probably in the neighborhood of 9%. Let's call it 10%. So I don't have to break out my calculator.

Now you're down to $4,050.

You sure is going to miss you bro...

• Options

@Scotch_n_Smoke said:

Only if you prove to be a piece of s***

• Options
    Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,544 ✭✭✭✭✭

Awright, lighten up, Francis, you've made your point.

WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • Options
    Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,544 ✭✭✭✭✭

^^actually, I just posted that to see if I had stars, too. I forgot about those.

WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain