Home Non Cigar Related
Options

Quora Quandaries

webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭

"Quora’s mission is to share and grow the world’s knowledge. ", according to their about page.

You join. Any member can pose a question. Any member can answer a question. You're sposed to be civil & informative. You're sposed to stick to the topic.

Some of these questions, especially those posed by climate bedwetters, are real corkers. Here's an example:

George Linker

Is the invasion and the taking away of a country's territory in order to be internationalized and put under administration of a coalition of countries justified nowadays, if the country is unwilling to protect a key environment to Earth's climate?

[sic]

“It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

Comments

• Options
    ShawnOLShawnOL Posts: 8,381 ✭✭✭✭✭

Answer:
    No.

Trapped in the People's Communits Republic of Massachusetts.

• Options
    Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,429 ✭✭✭✭✭

My WTF ^

Sweet Jesus, are people that stupid?

SMH, do I really have to ask?

WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • Options
    Trykflyr_1Trykflyr_1 Posts: 2,500 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sounds like a discount Wikipedia.

I'm still troubled by what I did for that Klondike bar...
  • Options
    WylaffWylaff Posts: 5,271 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Trykflyr_1 said:
    Sounds like a discount Wikipedia.

Even better because you get unmoderated answers.

"Cooking isn't about struggling; It's about pleasure. It's like sǝx, with a wider variety of sauces."

At any given time the urge to sing "In The Jungle" is just a whim away... A whim away... A whim away...
  • Options
    Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,016 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2021

Am I the only one?

• Options

Oddly, the bundle is singular.

“It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• Options
    VegasFrankVegasFrank Posts: 16,680 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options

^^^ and yet, many Wiki articles are well researched and amply annotated. Take, for example (one of my faves) this article anent the Battle of Athens:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Athens_(1946)

... an event which no self-respecting Democrat hoplophobe would ever countenance including in a history textbook. Yet it happened... in our fathers' time.

• Options
    edited March 2021

Quora quandary of the day:

Rozy Loly wants an answer to:
    Who wants to save the planet with me?

Nice screen name, too.

• Options

@webmost said:
    ^^^ and yet, many Wiki articles are well researched and amply annotated. Take, for example (one of my faves) this article anent the Battle of Athens:

... an event which no self-respecting Democrat hoplophobe would ever countenance including in a history textbook. Yet it happened... in our fathers' time.

Not everything is a political statement for cripes sake... Ummmmm are we feeling a little triggered this morning? 😂 😆 😎

Don't look ↑
  • Options

@VegasFrank said:

@webmost said:

Not everything is a political statement for cripes sake... Ummmmm are we feeling a little triggered this morning? 😂 😆 😎

Umm, Frank, it sounds like you're saying that you don't believe that Americans taking up arms to defend the right of free and honest elections is a political statement.

Am I missing something here?

WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • Options

Uuuuuuuuummmmmmmmmmmm

I'm saying that I posted a satirical video about user-curated content, and you turned it into some political commentary about gun control. 🤔 🎣

It looks like quora users really trigger you. Does that make you a quoraflake? 😆🧐

Oh, I don't know....I just think michael scott is funny. I don't wanna fight. 🥊

But, I don't think that the whack jobs who overran the capital and stabbed policemen with pro-police flags should continue to have the luxury of being Americans. I think we should ship them out of the country forever because they're the lowest form of human s*** who ever lived...

You know, since you asked...

Don't look ↑
  • Options

I hope that kills this stupid thread @silvermouse. I shouldn't have taken the bait, but I'm a fat mouse and that was a nice looking hunk of cheese.

Don't look ↑
  • Options
    edited March 2021

@VegasFrank said:
    Uuuuuuuuummmmmmmmmmmm

I'm saying that I posted a satirical video about user-curated content, and you turned it into some political commentary about gun control. 🤔 🎣

It looks like quora users really trigger you. Does that make you a quoraflake? 😆🧐

Oh, I don't know....I just think michael scott is funny. I don't wanna fight. 🥊

But, I don't think that the whack jobs who overran the capital and stabbed policemen with pro-police flags should continue to have the luxury of being Americans. I think we should ship them out of the country forever because they're the lowest form of human s*** who ever lived...

You know, since you asked...

Ah, I see. I thought you were referencing the Wikipedia article about West Tennessee politics, I didn't back up any farther in the discussion.

Yes, the recent overrun in D.C. was indeed perpetrated by whack-jobs.

No, I didn't turn anything into a commentary about gun control, but someone else may have. I sometimes don't take the time to see the video stuff, by the time it downloads I've wandered off and forgotten about it.

• Options

Fair enough. I just wanna get along despite our differences. No need to try to purify the herd by culling it, @webmost 😊

Don't look ↑
  • Options

Okay my bad, Frank. I'm the farthest thing from a herd culler. I admit I am disputatious. No sense denying that. But lemme pop up another summat well annotated wiki or two from among my bookmarks...

How bout these:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Borjigin#Name
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Family_tree_of_Genghis_Khan
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Knucklebones#Central_Asia

I've got bunches of wiki links to stuff on Genghis Khan for a book I'm working on (which is why I am so frequently here taking a break on the book by hitting the forum). Tho none of these links are so detailed as that one, my fave, on how Dixiecrats lost the Battle of Athens. Wiki is a convenient way to find this kinda schmidt out real quick. It don't give you a doctorate; but it might give you a nursing assistantorate; and that is almost always all you are after. A good article should include links to more detailed stuff if you want it. For instance, that's how I discovered the only writer we know of who actually visited Genghis Khan in the flesh, Chang Chun. I followed citations until I discovered how to buy his memoir. Best of all is the letter from the Mighty Manslayer himself to the old saintly Tao master begging him to come and bring his enlightenment to the table. Never woulda run onto this stuff without spending a lifetime.

Wiki will even warn you when they think there are insufficient citations:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Giovanni_da_Pian_del_Carpine

Once upon a time, in a different life, I sailed my schooner from Kosrae in the Caroline Islands all the way to Auckland NZ, then took a train to Wellington, just to buy a copy of Hakluyt's Voyages. I forget right now what I was researching. Possibly Anson. Three months, thousands of miles, typhoon, visas, even got beat on by an angry husband, all in order to spend a fortune I could hardly afford on a set of antique books. I don't even remember the gymnastics I had to go thru to discover there was a 12 volume copy for sale there. What a project.

Nowadays, I'd quickly hit Project Gutenberg or some such. Solve the thing in minutes.

I am a wiki fan.
    Not much of a Quora fan.
    No Quorums fan at all.
    Don't find Steve Carrel useful when researching.
    Quora is like those YouTube man-on-the-street interviews.

Now I gotta duck out and smoke something in the garage while the weather is so mild.

• Options
    YaksterYakster Posts: 25,716 ✭✭✭✭✭

@webmost Where do you rank Quora against Yahoo Answers? I tend to avoid both of them when they show up in the websearch results.

Join us on Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • Options

I read a book by Jack Weatherford (I think) on Genghis Khan a few years back. Changed my opinion of him altogether. Very interesting man, far more than the brutal beastly image most know him by today. Let us know when you've got that together, @webmost , I'll be interested in buying a copy.

• Options

@Yakster said:
    @webmost Where do you rank Quora against Yahoo Answers? I tend to avoid both of them when they show up in the websearch results.

Quora is not for answers at all. Just entertainment. That is all.
    I don't do yahoo. Never have. Prolly just hold the name against the outfit.

I mostly chase citations to their original sources, is what I do. Then see if I can get used books or download gutenberg or such. I have hard copies of Rubruk and Juvaini and Carpini kicking round here. I'll take an original source over anything. Anything.

I sometimes wish I could get source material from JSTOR; but they have their heads so far up their snooty professorial behinds.

• Options
    edited March 2021

@Amos_Umwhat said:
    I read a book by Jack Weatherford (I think) on Genghis Khan a few years back. Changed my opinion of him altogether. Very interesting man, far more than the brutal beastly image most know him by today. Let us know when you've got that together, @webmost , I'll be interested in buying a copy.

By golly I have that book right here on my desk.

The odd thing about GK is that we don't even know what he looked like. He refused to be painted or sculpted. Said it wasn't about him. Had no biographers until well after his death. No panegyrist, cause he didn't crave to be bragged on. The closest we can say is that in an ancient Tatar tale, his mother said he had a bushy blond beard, wore a white caftan, & rode a white horse. The famous Arab scholar who is most often taken as dispositive didn't visit Mongolia until thirty years after GK had died. He said GK was a redhead. We know that his clan was named Blue Eyes. The portrait commonly used for him was painted by a Chinese artist 200 years later to portray his dead grandson Kublai.

The only contemporary thing I can find is a memoir by a saintly Tao master who GK had begged to come visit him to instruct him in The Way, the better so he could rule his people wisely. No description of his appearance. Nearly all the memoir is about the holy hermit's difficult travels, a year and a half out and another year back (yet still didn't reach the end of his empire).

GK's letter inviting the saintly Taoist eremite is a peach... humble, simple, sincere. But this is the only thing we have, AFAIK, written by anyone who actually stood in GK's presence. Paints the man as a deep and affable fellow.

It appears GK never set out to conquer the world. He only wanted to use the Silk Road. He was just trying to spend the money that he looted in China. Only went to China cause China kept beating on the Mongols. All his world domination just happened.

• Options

• Options

• Options
    ShawnOLShawnOL Posts: 8,381 ✭✭✭✭✭

The fact that there are so many people who believe in "climate change" being man-made or under human control is puzzling. I suppose the dumbing-down in our schools did have a purpose after all. Getting people to believe in whatever nonsense can increase their power and bank accounts.

Trapped in the People's Communits Republic of Massachusetts.

• Options
    d_bladesd_blades Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭✭✭

@webmost said:

Global warming or pilot light to hell?

Don't let the wife know what you spend on guns, ammo or cigars.

• Options
    WylaffWylaff Posts: 5,271 ✭✭✭✭✭

@webmost said:

I will happily ready any article that contains the phrase "dynamited into submission".

"Cooking isn't about struggling; It's about pleasure. It's like sǝx, with a wider variety of sauces."

At any given time the urge to sing "In The Jungle" is just a whim away... A whim away... A whim away...
  • Options

Any Pythagoreans or Druids among us who can answer?

• Options

Priceless:

• Options