Home Non Cigar Related
Options

Badger and Blade??

Anyone frequent Badger and Blade? I'm in the process of putting together my first double edge shaving kit and this site is packed full of info and super friendly forumites.

Comments

• Options
    HaysHays Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭
    I know someone else mentioned this site before...I think it was Kuzi
    ¨The cure for anything is salt water: sweat, tears, or the sea¨ - Isak Dinesen

¨Only two people walk around in this world beardless - boys and women - and I am neither one.¨
  • Options
    JdoraisJdorais Posts: 652
    Hays:
    Besides being the king of cigar knowledge, I think you're right and Kuzi is the master of the blades.
  • Options
    clearlysuspectclearlysuspect Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭✭
    Did someone mention badger......

BADGER
  • Options
    denniskingdennisking Posts: 3,703 ✭✭✭
    mushroom mushroom
  • Options
    cabinetmakercabinetmaker Posts: 2,560 ✭✭
    I knew what that link was....I still clicked on it.....
  • Options
    HaysHays Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭
    cabinetmaker:
    LOL masochistic are we?
    ¨The cure for anything is salt water: sweat, tears, or the sea¨ - Isak Dinesen

¨Only two people walk around in this world beardless - boys and women - and I am neither one.¨
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    Jdorais:
    Hays:
    Besides being the king of cigar knowledge, I think you're right and Kuzi is the master of the blades.
    i wouldnt go so far as to say "master"
    i did a number on my face last night with a shave that was a bit too quick with a blade that i was unfamiliar with.
    i do shave with a DE.
    right now my set up of choice is as follows:
    Merkur 38c long handle heavy duty safety razor.

Feather blades
    Tabac Shave soap
    crabtree and evelyn best badger brush
    Alum block
    and a finish with Nivea Replenishing after shave balm.

for those who can fathom shaving as a luxury, i recommend it.

and if you can keep your acquisition disorders in check (razor acquisition disorder, brush acquisition disorder, etc...) it ends up being cheaper than those multi-blade monstrosities and a can of the shaving goo they like to pass off as shaving cream.
  • Options
    clearlysuspectclearlysuspect Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭✭
    cabinetmaker:
    Mwwwuuuuuhahahahahahahaha!!!!
  • Options
    TheShaunTheShaun Posts: 425
    kuzi16:
    Jdorais:
    Hays:
    i wouldnt go so far as to say "master"
    i did a number on my face last night with a shave that was a bit too quick with a blade that i was unfamiliar with.
    i do shave with a DE.
    right now my set up of choice is as follows:
    Merkur 38c long handle heavy duty safety razor.

Feather blades
    Tabac Shave soap
    crabtree and evelyn best badger brush
    Alum block
    and a finish with Nivea Replenishing after shave balm.

for those who can fathom shaving as a luxury, i recommend it.

and if you can keep your acquisition disorders in check (razor acquisition disorder, brush acquisition disorder, etc...) it ends up being cheaper than those multi-blade monstrosities and a can of the shaving goo they like to pass off as shaving cream.
    I haven't done a DE shave yet. Just putting together my kit. Ordered an Omega 31064 boar brush and blade sampler from Westcoast Shaving last night, and waiting for the Edwin Jagger DE89L to come in stock, as this is the razor I have chosen for my first one. I bought some Williams Mug soap at the drug store because it was so cheap, but I think I'll be buying some Tabac and Col. Conk soaps too.

I use the same screen name if you see me over there.
  • Options
    nightmaremike31nightmaremike31 Posts: 718 ✭✭✭
    Question... Do you have to be able to grow a bad ass beard to be a part of the club?

I have a goatee, but I only need to shave once a week. I'm cursed with a baby face, but I love the idea of "old school shaving".
  • Options
    LasabarLasabar Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    nightmaremike31:
    Question... Do you have to be able to grow a bad ass beard to be a part of the club?

I have a goatee, but I only need to shave once a week. I'm cursed with a baby face, but I love the idea of "old school shaving".
    I too have the Baby face... I can't grow a beard even if you put a gun to my head and said that Cyndi Crawford and Kathy Ireland from the 90's were going to go all "State Fair Roasted Corn" on my Cob.... Sucks, cuz I would like to be "Evil Lassy" once and awhile
  • Options
    Lasabar:
    nightmaremike31:

I too have the Baby face... I can't grow a beard even if you put a gun to my head and said that Cyndi Crawford and Kathy Ireland from the 90's were going to go all "State Fair Roasted Corn" on my Cob.... Sucks, cuz I would like to be "Evil Lassy" once and awhile

Ha ha ha hah ... (wipes tears) ... (trying to hold it in) ... ha ha ha ha!!
  • Options
    BStayerBStayer Posts: 318
    kuzi16:
    ...for those who can fathom shaving as a luxury, i recommend it....
    Shaving can be a luxury? Wow...I'm all ears. I absolutely hate shaving as my skin is so uber sensitive on my neck. If you're shaving as a luxury, how long does it usually take to shave then? Right now, it takes me about 5 minutes when I get out of the shower. I'm afraid I won't have much time for something that takes quite a while (especially since I have to shave every day)...but it might be great as a relaxing sort of activity. A Saturday night spell in a big bathtub with a cigar and bourbon at hand, followed by a really nice shave...I kind of like the idea of that.

Hmmmm...the force is strong with this one.
  • Options
    sightunseensightunseen Posts: 2,130 ✭✭
    dennisking:
    mushroom mushroom
    ARGH! A SNAKE!
  • Options
    denniskingdennisking Posts: 3,703 ✭✭✭
    hey B, if you are having mad razor burn, try shaving in the shower. it works sooooo much better. also shave down, and after fully shaved, then shave up. I have super sensitive skin and this helps me a ton. not that i don't like the idea of a big bath with a smoke and some bourbon
  • Options
    dennisking:
    hey B, if you are having mad razor burn, try shaving in the shower. it works sooooo much better. also shave down, and after fully shaved, then shave up. I have super sensitive skin and this helps me a ton. not that i don't like the idea of a big bath with a smoke and some bourbon
    I shave down on my neck but the idea of shaving up afterwards seems like it would lead to a bloody mess!...lol. I always shave right after the shower. Does it make a difference if it's in the shower as opposed to immediately after? I'm a bit ****...I hate not being able to see where I'm cutting...lol!
  • Options
    BStayer:
    dennisking:
    I shave down on my neck but the idea of shaving up afterwards seems like it would lead to a bloody mess!...lol. I always shave right after the shower. Does it make a difference if it's in the shower as opposed to immediately after? I'm a bit ****...I hate not being able to see where I'm cutting...lol!

I'm with ya there, I'm already blind without my glasses (an astigmatism) I couldn't imagine making it worse and trying to shave without. I shave before I shower... Am I doin it wrong?
  • Options
    JdoraisJdorais Posts: 652
    nightmaremike31:
    BStayer:
    dennisking:

I'm with ya there, I'm already blind without my glasses (an astigmatism) I couldn't imagine making it worse and trying to shave without. I shave before I shower... Am I doin it wrong?
    I too am a shower shaver- that hot water really softens up the bristle. It's the last thing to get done before I get out. And as far as seeing, I have a fog free shower mirror hanging off the shower head.
  • Options
    Jdorais:
    nightmaremike31:
    BStayer:
    dennisking:

I too am a shower shaver- that hot water really softens up the bristle. It's the last thing to get done before I get out. And as far as seeing, I have a fog free shower mirror hanging off the shower head.

Fog free you say? Can one make glasses be fog free?
  • Options
    BStayer:
    kuzi16:
    ...for those who can fathom shaving as a luxury, i recommend it....
    Shaving can be a luxury? Wow...I'm all ears. I absolutely hate shaving as my skin is so uber sensitive on my neck. If you're shaving as a luxury, how long does it usually take to shave then? Right now, it takes me about 5 minutes when I get out of the shower. I'm afraid I won't have much time for something that takes quite a while (especially since I have to shave every day)...but it might be great as a relaxing sort of activity. A Saturday night spell in a big bathtub with a cigar and bourbon at hand, followed by a really nice shave...I kind of like the idea of that.

Hmmmm...the force is strong with this one.
    if i do two passes itll take me 10 min. this is good enough to be presentable.
    if i take my time and do 4 passes i will baby's butt smooth for about 24 hours.
  • Options
    TheShaun:
    I haven't done a DE shave yet. Just putting together my kit. Ordered an Omega 31064 boar brush and blade sampler from Westcoast Shaving last night, and waiting for the Edwin Jagger DE89L to come in stock, as this is the razor I have chosen for my first one. I bought some Williams Mug soap at the drug store because it was so cheap, but I think I'll be buying some Tabac and Col. Conk soaps too.

I use the same screen name if you see me over there.
    im thinking of getting that exact brush myself. i find the badger to be a bit soft. im looking for a more "scrubbie" brush.

Williams Mug soap takes A LOT of time and water to lather correctly. take your time with it. if you have hard water it will be worse.
    if you have a thick beard and each hair is thick you will want to start out with at sharper blade. if i was to go back and do it all again (been classic shaving for about a year now) i would have skipped all the other blades and started with the Gillette 7 o'clock sharp edge blades, then moved into feathers. Merkur blades IMHO suck, crystals arent bad if you have a softer beard.

for me, prep is everything. if i am going to shave in the morning, before i go to bed, i will put a light lotion on my face. i ALWAYS shower before i shave. yaknow what?.... Just check THIS GUY out. want a blade master? he is one.
  • Options
    Mantic's videos are great. Very informative and easy to watch.

Thanks for the heads up on the Williams soap. It was a purchase just to have something on hand, since orders coming from the US take time to get here. I passed up on the tabac and col. conk at this time and ordered a couple from Mama Bear based on reviews.

What kind of lotion are you talking about?
  • Options
    as of late its been Avon oatmeal.

just about any lotion will do. im not sure how much it actually helps. I do a lot of things differently than i did before i got into classic wet shaving. all i know is that now my skin quality has gone way up. I almost never get ingrown hairs, and my wife likes the improvement.
  • Options
    I'm watching Mantic's videos and he shaves in all sorts of directions. Up, down, diagonal, and it obvisouly doesn't bother him. I wonder if he is able to do that due to the quality of the cream he uses(he did mention that grain plays no part in 'method shaving'), but at this stage for me, I keep thinking that would be suicide for my neck. If traditional wet-shaving will rid the irritation from my neck...man, I've been missing out and I need to get going.

In regards to the Badger and Blade website, I saw they had a brush for some $135 or something. Is this a normal price? I thought I heard mantic say in his videos you could buy them cheaper. I might spring for that brush (assuming it's of superb quality) if I try this type of shave and decide to really stick to it, but for just starting out, I'd prefer to go cheaper. Is that possible and still get somewhat quality products? Do you guys know of a good place on the internet to buy products, like cream, after shave balm, or should I just go to Target?
  • Options
    BStayer:
    I'm watching Mantic's videos and he shaves in all sorts of directions. Up, down, diagonal, and it obvisouly doesn't bother him. I wonder if he is able to do that due to the quality of the cream he uses(he did mention that grain plays no part in 'method shaving'), but at this stage for me, I keep thinking that would be suicide for my neck. If traditional wet-shaving will rid the irritation from my neck...man, I've been missing out and I need to get going.

In regards to the Badger and Blade website, I saw they had a brush for some $135 or something. Is this a normal price? I thought I heard mantic say in his videos you could buy them cheaper. I might spring for that brush (assuming it's of superb quality) if I try this type of shave and decide to really stick to it, but for just starting out, I'd prefer to go cheaper. Is that possible and still get somewhat quality products? Do you guys know of a good place on the internet to buy products, like cream, after shave balm, or should I just go to Target?

Damn this Mantic guy, very informative and he keeps it simple too. For myself (even though I can't grow much facial hair) I've always felt that going against the "grain" was painfull, but with a quality blade, hot water and the right shaving cream, it's a breeze. No pain what so ever. Now that I've been studying the "wet shave", it seems like it can only get better.

As far as quality brushes go (just from my research today) you can get in to a really nice badger brush around $50, or get an alternative anywhere from $10 to well... so far I haven't seen the limit, but I've seen them higher than $200 for one brush. I will most likely have to get a synthetic brush since I'm allergic to almost every living animal on this whole damn planet...

Now as far as where to purchase your grooming supplies. I was at wally world and they didn't have anything in my area that looked remotely decent. But it looks like there are 2 joints in Colorado, but I'm not sure how close they are to ya. I'm gonna have to do some serious hunting to find anything in Utah. Tons of places online though. Best Grooming Tools, and then there is THIS list.

Good read and find for info on wet shaving

Hope this was helpful!!
  • Options
    nightmaremike31:
    Hope this was helpful!!
    Wow...that's very helpful. The one on Broadway isn't too awful far for me either...looks like I'll be stopping in there and checking stuff out! Thanks, you rock!
  • Options
    BStayer:
    nightmaremike31:
    Hope this was helpful!!
    Wow...that's very helpful. The one on Broadway isn't too awful far for me either...looks like I'll be stopping in there and checking stuff out! Thanks, you rock!

No biggie, I just work here... I wish I worked for CCOM.

My inspiration comes from the Kuzi. His brain is like a reference guide I wish I could thumb through.
  • Options
    j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    kuzi16:
    for me, prep is everything. if i am going to shave in the morning, before i go to bed, i will put a light lotion on my face. i ALWAYS shower before i shave.
    Agreed with that. To help soften up the whiskers and make for a smoother shave with no irritation, I'll lather up my face and wear it into the shower and keep it on for at least 5 minutes. Doing that, when I put razor to skin, it shaves like butter. And as you mentioned, 2 passes gets a decent shave, 4 and a little spot shaving gets BBS to the max. And I just have to give thanks to AWOL member rusirius, without his knowledge and guidance I'd probably still be shaving with a Mach 3. *shudders*
  • Options
    I sprung for a $22 brush based on reviews. I've never done a safety razor shave yet, just putting together my kit.
  • Options
    j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    TheShaun:
    I sprung for a $22 brush based on reviews. I've never done a safety razor shave yet, just putting together my kit.
    I've got a decent entry level Gillette safety razor if you want it. It was gifted to me and I said I'd pay it forward if I ran across anybody looking to get into wet shaving.

I say it's a good entry level razor because it offers a gentle shave, so you are less likely to get cuts or razor burn than you would be with something like a Merkur that is generally a more aggressive razor.

Anyway, let me know if you're interested.