Home Non Cigar Related
Options

Badger and Blade??

1234568»

Comments

• Options
    YaksterYakster Posts: 26,326 ✭✭✭✭✭
    raisindot said:

Razor: Rotate three: A 1960's era Gillette Slim adjustable (lets you "dial in" the aggressiveness; a Parker R22 (my first razor, and probably the most forgiving while still giving a great shave); a Muehle R41 (probably the most aggressive razor out there today. Provides the closest shave and also the deepest lacerations if you're not careful. 

Blades: I've tried at least 30-40 brands, most of which stink. I'm not a big fan of Derbys, which aren't that sharp. Although competely subjective, I tend to use the following: Gillete Sharpe Edge (also called Yellows), Gillette 7 ' O clock (also called Blacks), Israeli Persona (often referred to as "Red Personas), and a couple of hard to find Russian brands. Most agree that the sharpest blades are Feathers. I agree, but they also tend to cut me to shreds.
    I've got the infamous Muhleskinner 2011 R41 razor, even picked up a Parker razor to give it a beefier handle.  It's very aggressive but doubles the length of time that I remain stubble free, probably because it's removing a layer of skin along with the beard.  I don't often go for this axe, usually using a '62 Gillette Fatboy or a '60 Super Speed.  I find that it's far easier to shave with a straight razor than this beast.

My go-to blades are the Astra Superior Platinum, the Polsilver Super Iridium, and the Feather High Stainless blades.  The Feather's are very sharp and can be bity, but don't hold their edge as long as the other blades.

I also play around with some vintage Single Edge razors on occasion.
    Join us on Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • Options
    GrouchoMGrouchoM Posts: 302 ✭✭✭

Suprisingly, yesterday I decided for the sake of time, my fourth shave would be both my face and head in the shower-risky I know.

I showered, and used a new shave bowl. It was a small plastic salsa bowl that was on sale in the grocery store for $1.20. I had looked at a lot of cups, mugs and bowls many made out of glass, porcelin, etc. But, this one had numerous positives: the size fit my single hand grip amazingly, the textured plastic on the outside of the bowl improved the grip immensely, the cheap plastic ensure no chipping nor destruction if dropped. All for $1.20.

I finished my shower, used my synthetic brush to dip into Tri-coastal White Birch and tobacco shave butter. I didn't used any water, due to the humidity of the warm shower would have made lather runny. The lather was consistent, but not great: I made more of a point to work the shave butter in. I used a new Personna blade. 

The lack of a mirror put me a new distinct disadvantage, but I though that wold be minimized by the fact I shave exclusively with my disposable BICs in the shower on the same face. So, I forged ahead carefully, like your elderly grandma driving her Cadillac home from church.

I made it through three reasonable passes: WTG, XTG, and ATG. The issues were trying to gauge where the blade had been on my face and performing the next stroke exactly where it needed to be. But, I will probably go back to shaving out of shower, with a mirror-that visual reflection will improve my line of sight immensely and my confidence even more. This was a score of 74. 

I moved on to my head and immediately realized, I couldn't gauge the lather thickness of this brushless shave butter without a mirror. Clearly, without experience lacking a mirror is an added disadvantage for a novice. But, with my head I thought I could use my off shave hand to seek out the areas on my head to assist with the shave. After three gingerly passes-WTG, XTG and ATG-I actually did ok. I'd score it a 78.

Thankful that there were no cuts, nicks or gashes on my face nor head.

I cleaned my brush and razor, and placed them in my new bowl-which had the perfect depth, despite being on the smallish size. I rinsed off with warm water under the shower spicket. I then, turned off the hot water and did a full body rinse with icy cold water head to toe. I finished by patting my head and face dry with a towel upon exiting the shower. I used a tea tree spray and finished with Kiss My Face Olive oil and Aloe lotion. 

Takeaways: I need to keep it simple. That whole shower scene could have ended badly. So, I need to check my ego and put more thought into controlling my environment to assist towards a better shave. Be more aware of the time commitment that is needed to accomplish a good shave-more is better. Also, figure out and commit to a solid shave routine: I saw that I had some wiggle room with shaving my face and head at the same time, but I'm going to stick to alternating days. Lastly, I need to use better products asap.

But, I can say the "golden hour" remained outstanding. I felt like a million bucks while out later shopping for cigar supplies and groceries for the coming bad weather (we're predicted to have 4 days of severe thunderstorms locally).
    The secret word is cigars! 
  • Options
    WylaffWylaff Posts: 5,294 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That is by far the most prose I have ever seen on the subject of a days shave.
    "Cooking isn't about struggling; It's about pleasure. It's like sǝx, with a wider variety of sauces."

At any given time the urge to sing "In The Jungle" is just a whim away... A whim away... A whim away...
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    I'm all tl;dr skimming this piece until I get to the last paragraph where I can't believe what I just read.   :D
    GrouchoM said:

But, I can say the "golden shower" remained outstanding. I felt like a million bucks while out later shopping for cigar supplies and groceries for the coming bad weather (we're predicted to have 4 days of severe thunderstorms locally).

Dejah Thoris, no I mean Deja Vu, weren't we just talking about this on the vHerf just the other night?
      Post edited by Yakster on
    • Options
      GuitardedGuitarded Posts: 4,664 ✭✭✭✭✭
      I can shower, shave, and get dressed for work in less time than it would take me to type that!!!!
      Friends don't let good friends smoke cheap cigars.
    • Options
      Always happy to give you guys a smile.
    • Options
      Dark_RoastDark_Roast Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭
       said:
      I'm all tl;dr skimming this piece until I get to the last paragraph where I can't believe what I just read.   :D
      GrouchoM said:

But, I can say the "golden shower" remained outstanding. I felt like a million bucks while out later shopping for cigar supplies and groceries for the coming bad weather (we're predicted to have 4 days of severe thunderstorms locally).

Dejah Thoris, no I mean Deja Vu, weren't we just talking about this on the vHerf just the other night?
        Uh "golden shower" means somethig different. Like one person pissen on another: just saying:hushed: interesting vherf.
      • Options
        WylaffWylaff Posts: 5,294 ✭✭✭✭✭
        It happened.
        "Cooking isn't about struggling; It's about pleasure. It's like sǝx, with a wider variety of sauces."

At any given time the urge to sing "In The Jungle" is just a whim away... A whim away... A whim away...
      • Options
        But not on the vHerf, we're not that close, bro.
      • Options
        90+_Irishman90+_Irishman Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭✭
        Yakster said:
        But not on the vHerf, we're not that close, bro.
        What happens on vherf stays on YouTube.... I mean vherf. 

Brett
        "When walking in open territory bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask them to stop. If they do not stop, destroy them."
      • Options
        I tried cold water wet shaving for my sixth shave and enjoyed it.
      • Options
        raisindotraisindot Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭
        Many people on B&B swear by the "cold water" approach, either direct or in a Kyle's prep situation. Whatever  works for you is something that's effective. 
      • Options
        raisindotraisindot Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭
        I tried Kyle's prep with cold water today, using the hyper-aggressive Muehle R41 as the razor. 

I must say that it's a very different feel. The glide wasn't smooth at all, which I thought might mean that the razor was doing a better job of mowing. I had to be extremely careful not to lacerate myself. The end result was not better than the warm Kyle's prep. I might try it one more time with a less aggressive razor, but unless it totally results in a closer shave I will probably stick with the hot water approach. For one thing, cold water isn't particularly relaxing early in the morning!
      • Options
        LuvBourbonLuvBourbon Posts: 91 ✭✭✭

Any of you guys still around?

I have a pretty good collection of wet shaving supplies.

• Options

I'm still here but haven't really shaved since the before times. I have a straight razor that could take this long beard off like nobodies business if I wanted and half a dozen or so safety razors, just don't shave much anymore.

• Options

@Yakster said:
        I'm still here but haven't really shaved since the before times. I have a straight razor that could take this long beard off like nobodies business if I wanted and half a dozen or so safety razors, just don't shave much anymore.

I only trim up my neck area..... beard would grow into my chest hair if I didn't. Lol

I tried a straight one time but never did get the hang of it. I do like my DE's though.

Any favorite soaps or splashes?

• Options

I like Cella for it's almond cherry note and also use Old Spice shave cream from local Indian groceries. I'm one of the chosen that can wear Pinaud's Lilac Vegetal without smelling like cat piss, it's what my dad used, but I also have some old Old Spice I'll use and a few others.

• Options

@Yakster said:
        I like Cella for it's almond cherry note and also use Old Spice shave cream from local Indian groceries. I'm one of the chosen that can wear Pinaud's Lilac Vegetal without smelling like cat piss, it's what my dad used, but I also have some old Old Spice I'll use and a few others.

Take no offense please, you're old school huh?

• Options

Yeah, old school and proud, no offence taken. I've got a scuttle and several brushes to lather the soap. I used to make my own oil pre-shave prep but found it wasn't really necessary. I splash with some lavender witch hazel and finish with some sort of after shave.

• Options

@Yakster said:
        Old Spice shave cream from local Indian groceries.

Is this stuff more on par with the original scent from years ago?

• Options

Not sure about the shave cream but the Old Spice after shave made in India is still made by Shulton IIRC.