Home Non Cigar Related
Options

Badger and Blade??

Comments

• Options
    TheShaunTheShaun Posts: 425
    j0z3r:
    TheShaun:
    I sprung for a $22 brush based on reviews. I've never done a safety razor shave yet, just putting together my kit.
    I've got a decent entry level Gillette safety razor if you want it. It was gifted to me and I said I'd pay it forward if I ran across anybody looking to get into wet shaving.

I say it's a good entry level razor because it offers a gentle shave, so you are less likely to get cuts or razor burn than you would be with something like a Merkur that is generally a more aggressive razor.

Anyway, let me know if you're interested.
    Thanks for the offer, Joe. But I've got my eye on another razor that is out of stock at most places, but coming in soon. Just waiting to pick one up locally. I'd hate to accept your offer only to never use the thing. I'm sure you'll be able to PIF to someone else, if not here, then for sure on Badger and Blade.
  • Options
    j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    That's cool, thought I'd make the offer. If anyone else is interested, the offer is open. I was gifted the razor and a brush and would be happy to pay them forward to anyone looking to get into shaving with a safety razor who is not ready to take the plunge without testing the waters.
  • Options
    nightmaremike31nightmaremike31 Posts: 718 ✭✭✭
    j0z3r:
    That's cool, thought I'd make the offer. If anyone else is interested, the offer is open. I was gifted the razor and a brush and would be happy to pay them forward to anyone looking to get into shaving with a safety razor who is not ready to take the plunge without testing the waters.
    ... Good sir, if the offer is still open, I will take you up on it. I'm very intrigued by a good classic wet shave and would love to make it a hobby.
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    nightmaremike31:
    j0z3r:
    ... Good sir, if the offer is still open, I will take you up on it. I'm very intrigued by a good classic wet shave and would love to make it a hobby.
    word of warning.

there is a painful learning curve.

took me about 3 months to get "good enough" and by that i mean " my face didnt hurt when i was done"

dont give up though. it is well worth it IMHO
  • Options
    kuzi16:
    nightmaremike31:
    j0z3r:
    word of warning.

took me about 3 months to get "good enough" and by that i mean " my face didnt hurt when i was done"

Sound advise and much appreciated. The more I look in to this, the more excited I am like I was when I was getting in to cigars and wanting to try as many as possible. But it's much more of a controlled excitement. I'm not going to blow a couple hundred in a matter of minutes like I did with cigars. I feel a much greater desire to understand and take my time. And it's not like I can shave all the time either, it requires some amount of hair in order for it to work properly!
  • Options
    kuzi16:
    nightmaremike31:
    j0z3r:
    word of warning.

That's sound advice. I think it took about 2-3 months for me to get my technique down and get to the point where I could shave with no irritation afterward.

Mike: This razor is perfect for a beginner because it offers a gentle, non-aggressive shave. The downside to this is that you'll find it difficult to get that much desired BBS (baby's butt smooth) shave, not to say it won't be a nice shave, but when you're ready to move up, a more aggressive razor, such as the Merkur Heavy Classic, will offer a superb shave...but for starting out, you won't cut the hell out of your face and neck with the Gillette as you probably would with the Merkur.

I've responded to your pm by the way, and any questions you might have in the future I'll do what I can to help. I'm by no means an expert, but I've likely worked my way through most of what you're going to have trouble with, so feel free to drop a pm.
  • Options
    Joe I can't thank you enough man, I'm totally stoked to get in to this. And with what I've noticed about the finer things in life, they usually take time. But I'm down for the challenge and "learning curve" if you will. You fellas on here are always way over the top with helpful advise and tips n' tricks, so I'm not worried that I will become discouraged, I'm excited for the experience!!
  • Options
    BStayerBStayer Posts: 318
    kuzi16:
    nightmaremike31:
    j0z3r:
    word of warning.

Holy smokes...3 mos. till it DOESN't hurt? Guess I have a lot to learn. Now I'm a bit apprehensive over this. What kind of safety razor would be a good one for a beginner?
  • Options
    FourtotheflushFourtotheflush Posts: 2,555
    Ive been using AoS oils, cream, badger brush and lotion for about a year now and love them. But, Im using them with a regular blade - gillette mach series. I'm going to updgrade to a DE soon.

I see that the gilette is a good starter safety DC, what about Parker? Anyone have any insight into them. Seems that I can get a fairly good deal on them in a couple places, but I have done limited research. I also have a beard now, so I only shave part of my neck and face, making shaving a different process. smaller area to shave, but need to be a little more accurate with where you are shaving.

Wondering what anyone thinks of AoS Sandalwood Cream? Its a bid pricey, but I love they way it feels during a shave and smells afterward.

• Options
    AoS - Art of Shaving.
  • Options
    BStayer:
    Holy smokes...3 mos. till it DOESN't hurt? Guess I have a lot to learn. Now I'm a bit apprehensive over this. What kind of safety razor would be a good one for a beginner?
    dont fear. if you shave every day it should be faster. i usually shave about 3 times a week.
  • Options
    I just picked up a Gillette super speed this week and anticipate my first DE shave this weekend!
  • Options
    I'm going to try to make my first attempt this weekend. Joe (j0z3r) hooked me up and now I have to get my soap bowl and set aside some time to relish that which is luxurious. And I'm going to have another cigar!! I think this will be my 5th one since June...
  • Options
    I am hoping to have a nice shave and then head out for a cigar afterward.
  • Options
    nightmaremike31:
    I'm going to try to make my first attempt this weekend. Joe (j0z3r) hooked me up and now I have to get my soap bowl and set aside some time to relish that which is luxurious. And I'm going to have another cigar!! I think this will be my 5th one since June...
    Just keep a few guidelines in mind and it should work out OK.

First, you want the lather to be thick, rich and slick, it should form a peak on the brush and it will be firm, if the lather moves on its own then there is too much water and the shave won't be as smooth.

Second, give some serious consideration to your pre-shave prep. Use a steamed towel if you can. Or you can lather up your beard and just let it sit on your face for about 5 minutes...I like to lather up and hop in the shower and keep the lather on my face for as long as possible, the combination of lather and steam will really help to soften up the beard and the shave will be very smooth.

Last, DO NOT, I repeat, DO NOT bear down with the razor, that is the number one cause of irritation. Hold the razor lightly against your skin at roughly a 30 degree angle and trace it along the contour of your face, let the sharpness of the blade do the cutting and it will vastly minimize the irritation you experience. You can do everything right and still experience some irritation, this is pretty much unavoidable until you get the technique down.

And just keep in mind that shaving in this fashion is a luxury, like smoking cigars, and your patience will be rewarded with a superior result. Good luck.
  • Options
    j0z3r:
    Last, DO NOT, I repeat, DO NOT bear down with the razor, that is the number one cause of irritation.
    i hold my razor very gently by the very end of it. the weight of the head of the razor is about as much pressure that is on my face. ... maybe less.
  • Options
    Pre Shave routine question. I typically shower and wash my face w hot shower water before shaving. I then use some AOS pre shave oil, then lather up. Anything beyond those that you think I should do? Hot towel on the face before the oil?
  • Options
    kuzi16:
    j0z3r:
    Last, DO NOT, I repeat, DO NOT bear down with the razor, that is the number one cause of irritation.
    i hold my razor very gently by the very end of it. the weight of the head of the razor is about as much pressure that is on my face. ... maybe less.

I've been doing "dry runs", without a blade, on my face so I can get a feel of the motion and weight of razer in my hands. In my head I picture it similar to painting a masterpiece, very light and flowing motions with the precition, and a grip on the razer as though it were made from egg shells and would break if I used any strength. Thanks to you fellas of course.
  • Options
    Lucky guys. I haven even had a DE shave yet. None of my orders have arrived yet. Hopefully all my kit will be here next week!
  • Options
    TheShaun:
    Lucky guys. I haven even had a DE shave yet. None of my orders have arrived yet. Hopefully all my kit will be here next week!

Well my friend, my luck has run out. Last night I tested my sweet shaving brush and found out that I have to find a synthetic shaving brush.

I'm not allergic to beaver... but it's more aggressive cousin, the badger, gives me hives. I dry tested the brush on my arm. Genetics suck.

But I did find the Synthetic Brush, Stand, and Shaving Bowl I want to get minus the razor... feast your eyes on this...

• Options
    RedtailhawkozRedtailhawkoz Posts: 2,915
    clearlysuspect:
    Did someone mention badger......

BADGER
    OMG LOL Hillarious!
  • Options
    RedtailhawkozRedtailhawkoz Posts: 2,915
    j0z3r:
    nightmaremike31:

First, you want the lather to be thick, rich and slick, it should form a peak on the brush and it will be firm, if the lather moves on its own then there is too much water and the shave won't be as smooth.

Second, give some serious consideration to your pre-shave prep. Use a steamed towel if you can. Or you can lather up your beard and just let it sit on your face for about 5 minutes...I like to lather up and hop in the shower and keep the lather on my face for as long as possible, the combination of lather and steam will really help to soften up the beard and the shave will be very smooth.

Last, DO NOT, I repeat, DO NOT bear down with the razor, that is the number one cause of irritation. Hold the razor lightly against your skin at roughly a 30 degree angle and trace it along the contour of your face, let the sharpness of the blade do the cutting and it will vastly minimize the irritation you experience. You can do everything right and still experience some irritation, this is pretty much unavoidable until you get the technique down.

And just keep in mind that shaving in this fashion is a luxury, like smoking cigars, and your patience will be rewarded with a superior result. Good luck.
    WOW that description is Crazy Good.... Ive tyed a Billion Shaving Methods, I have a Baby face, at least my skin is fairley sensitive i beat myself up. I may have to take some of this advice and try it again! Thanks .... this forum is Insane for good stuff!
  • Options
    Redtailhawkoz:
    j0z3r:
    nightmaremike31:

WOW that description is Crazy Good.... Ive tyed a Billion Shaving Methods, I have a Baby face, at least my skin is fairley sensitive i beat myself up. I may have to take some of this advice and try it again! Thanks .... this forum is Insane for good stuff!

This is why I love these guys and the few gals that peruse this amazing site!
  • Options
    Kuzi? What does the Tabac Shaving Soap smell like? And does it leave you with a nice smell after the shave?

I'm most eager to find a shaving soap that is close to english/oriental pipe tobacco, but I really like the reviews that Tabac gets, so I thought I would check with the you to get your opinion.
  • Options
    nightmaremike31:
    TheShaun:

Well my friend, my luck has run out. Last night I tested my sweet shaving brush and found out that I have to find a synthetic shaving brush.

I'm not allergic to beaver... but it's more aggressive cousin, the badger, gives me hives. I dry tested the brush on my arm. Genetics suck.

But I did find the Synthetic Brush, Stand, and Shaving Bowl I want to get minus the razor... feast your eyes on this...

Too bad about the badger. You can try boar hair brushes...
  • Options
    nightmaremike31:
    kuzi16:
    j0z3r:

I've been doing "dry runs", without a blade, on my face so I can get a feel of the motion and weight of razer in my hands. In my head I picture it similar to painting a masterpiece, very light and flowing motions with the precition, and a grip on the razer as though it were made from egg shells and would break if I used any strength. Thanks to you fellas of course.

I tried some dry runs last night and it has shaken my confidence!

Every time I put the razor to my face I press into my skin a bit, just out of habit! I know Im gonna hack myself on my 1st run! Well see how it goes, Im not shaving my whole face, just the parts without the beard!

• Options
    Set up looks good TheShaun.

• Options
    TheShaun:
    nightmaremike31:
    TheShaun:

Too bad about the badger. You can try boar hair brushes...

Yeah, I'm going to order a boar hair and synthetic to also (hopefully) get a good comparison on the lather differences.
  • Options
    BStayerBStayer Posts: 318
    Does a straight razor have a place in a luxury shave? I'm assuming by the lack of attention to it here that it really does not, but I've seen them on some websites that sell AoS supplies. I guess it just made me curious.
  • Options
    BStayer:
    Does a straight razor have a place in a luxury shave? I'm assuming by the lack of attention to it here that it really does not, but I've seen them on some websites that sell AoS supplies. I guess it just made me curious.
    Absolutely it does. Shaving with a straight razor requires more skill and patience as there is a very real possibility of hurting oneself with that method, and thus it is not as widely used, but it is, in my opinion (I haven't used a straight btw), the epitome of "classic shaving". I'd love to try out a straight razor one of these days. It is a bit more cost prohibitive to use a straight razor, and requires extra work as you have to strop the blade and be meticulous about cleaning, but there is something to me that seems really cool about using a straight razor.