Home Non Cigar Related
Options

Badger and Blade??

Comments

• Options
    FourtotheflushFourtotheflush Posts: 2,555

I actually havent DE shaved in a While. Ive been following the process with the pre shave and lather, but havent had the time to properly take the time with the DE. Been using up the Gillettes I have in stock. I can totally notice the difference in shave quality.

Regular cream & Gillette = Good
    Wet lather & Gillette = Better
    Wet lather & DE = Best.

But its tough to do with 2 4 year olds running around wanting to help you & watch you shave.

• Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    Fourtotheflush:
    But its tough to do with 2 4 year olds running around wanting to help you & watch you shave.

does the "its daddy time" line work?
  • Options
    kuzi16:
    Fourtotheflush:

does the "its daddy time" line work?
    Daddy time to them means that they get to spend time with me!

Yeah no its tough at 4.5 to get your kids to listen to you and then obey that one directive for 10 straight minutes...
    Like LEAVE ME ALONE....
    then 30 seconds later they are back asking you questions.

• Options
    TheShaunTheShaun Posts: 425
    Just as an FYI, of all the blades I've tried Shark Super Chrome are hands down my fav. and one of the cheapest blades out there. Just love them in the EJ DE89L.
  • Options
    Dropping off the ruggers at my mother in laws today. I may get in a DE shave this AM.
  • Options
    minibeezyminibeezy Posts: 257
    Enjoy four.

Shaun, I have some of those from a sampler. I'm going to try them after the feather. I just had the best DE shave so far. My wife distracted me and I knicked myself on my lip. Other than that, very enjoyable with the Derby.

Just curious, do any of you have a travel set you use, or do you just pack up one of your usuals when you travel? I've been looking at either a Merkur or Feather travel razor. I only have one razor right now, and I'd hate to have it get lost when I travel. I'm also considering just getting another full size razor (barber pole or HD) and just using one or the other when I travel. Can't make up my mind though. LOL.
  • Options
    bacon.jaybacon.jay Posts: 720 ✭✭✭
    Just bought an EJ Best Badger Brush on amazon.com with some gift cards I had. Can't wait to try it...

• Options
    bigbgballzbigbgballz Posts: 283
    http://www.theartofshaving.com/shop/product/67007/11 this is what i have been using for awhile now. Two passes in a different direction for a nice shave and 3 to 4 for a bad ass one,next i want to try a straight raZor!
  • Options
    I just got my EJ Best Badger brush in the mail today, and I was surprised by how stiff the bristles seem to be. Are they supposed to be like that all the time, or do they soften up a bit once they've sat in the hot water?

• Options
    they soften a bit.

i thought id like a softer brush but it turns out that i prefer a stiffer one. give it a shot and see what you think first.
  • Options
    It softened up quite a bit, but it's still fairly stiff. I like it though, it's the medium so it's not too fluffy, it works really well for lathering on the face. It works great!

• Options
    lookie what just came in!!!

Tobac shave soap and aftershave, Mitchel's Wool Fat soap, and 50 feather blades.

hells to the yeah!!!

• Options
    kuzi16:
    TheShaun:
    I haven't done a DE shave yet. Just putting together my kit. Ordered an Omega 31064 boar brush and blade sampler from Westcoast Shaving last night, and waiting for the Edwin Jagger DE89L to come in stock, as this is the razor I have chosen for my first one. I bought some Williams Mug soap at the drug store because it was so cheap, but I think I'll be buying some Tabac and Col. Conk soaps too.

I use the same screen name if you see me over there.
    im thinking of getting that exact brush myself. i find the badger to be a bit soft. im looking for a more "scrubbie" brush.

When I first read this about a more scrubbie brush, I thought you were crazy. A badger brush is harsh enough.
    Now that my brush is softening and my beard is holding up to the brush, I totally understand.

I just got my 1st set of feathers, hoping you dont steer me wrong.

Oh yeah, been we shaving religously for a while now.

• Options
    Let me know how do you guys like the feathers, never tried them and i think i may pull the trigger on those,although i have whole bunch of other brands! TABAC FTW!
  • Options
    feathers are the only blades ive been able to get a good shave with. they are darn good in my Merkur 38c but they are FANTASTIC in my Gillette NEW ball end.

i wont shave with any other blade.

the only one that comes close is Gillette 5o'clock sharp edge (yellow pack). i cant seem to get them to go against the grain without a good amount of drag and pull.

but then again im fairly sure its not hair growing out of my face, its barbed wire.
  • Options
    That means ill be picking up some feathers,thanks!
  • Options
    Im on my last persona blade, so Ill let you know how the feathers work out.

I Prolly should have saved the last persona just incase the feathers hack me to bits.

• Options
    jpclotfelterjpclotfelter Posts: 294
    I just bought a bought a Merkur "Heavy Classic" Double-Edged Safety Razor, a pack of Feather Blades, and a pack of Merkur Blades.

Anybody have any advice?
  • Options
    Take your time, DO NOT PRESS DOWN AT ALL. Watch the mantic videos. Make sure you dont have any disractions going on.
  • Options
    Having a nice brush along with that razor is must,making good lather is also important for a good shave! Keepthe blade 30 degrees tilt will avoid nasty cuts,take your time shaving! Go with grain on first pass,against on second.watch mantic videos as well to learn more techniques!GL!
  • Options
    I got some Cremo Creme to go along with my Merkur. Will this stuff work? I've used it with my Gillete Sensor and loved it but this will be my first DE razor.
  • Options
    it should work. Personally, i dont like brushless shave cream. some people swear by it.
  • Options
    ^+1
  • Options
    anyone try any of the Merkur open comb DE razors? im thinking of getting the HD long handle open comb and would like some opinions on how it compares to the same razor with a safety bar.
  • Options
    Never tried open comb, people say they are more aggresive but some argue that with an adjustable DE razor can be as aggressive as open comb.
  • Options
    i have a mid 1930's Gillette NEW Ball end. that thing is open comb. I feel that it is less aggressive than my Merkur 38c that is not open comb. the NEW does do a good job if i have let my face go for a few days. the open comb lets the hair stay standing as i shave instead of knocking it down just before i cut it. i like that but i kinda like the aggressiveness of the 38c on the days where i have shorter stubble.
  • Options
    I keep a beard for a reason...
  • Options
    Time to bring this thread back.

On a recent trip to Las Vegas the wife bought me the entire line of shaving products from The Art of Shaving: pre shave oil, shaving cream, after shave lotion, silver tipped badger brush, and stand. I got home and used them all for the first time with my Merkur "Heavy Classic" and a Feather blade. This stuff is fantastic.

Anybody else tried it?
  • Options
    The_KidThe_Kid Posts: 7,869 ✭✭✭
    I thought for sure this was going ****,, lol, Nope I use an electric, just seems easier.. Not as close for sure, but gets the job done, rarely use a blade anymore.
  • Options
    xmacroxmacro Posts: 3,402
    hmm, after reading a few posts, I think I may wanna try this stuff out; it'd be nice to get a close shave and go through a similar ritual like I do with my cigars; can anyone recommend what I should start out with? I'd like something I can grow into (not too newbie) that'll last me awhile - any suggestions?