Home Non Cigar Related

you can't make this stuff up

Comments

• clearlysuspectclearlysuspect Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭✭
    jd50ae said:
    webmost said:
    Courtesy Jimmy Kimmel:

https://youtu.be/1Y8HdeHtOJs
    You have to wonder how many employees have quit United over this. There is an unspoken boycott going on already and looking to work somewhere else is common sense.

I'll reserve my judgement on the whole passenger incident.  But anyone who works for United, believe me, has been looking for another job for a long time.  Anyone who works in the commercial aviation industry knows United is the absolute worst at everything!  They're planes are falling apart.  They have the worst of absolutely everything inside the plane.  They treat their employees like crap.  They can't even keep enough pilots on the roster to meet all the flights they book which is why they always have cancellations and delays. 
  • jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm not doubting your word, @clearlysuspect, but I'm curious to know how you know this. I've been 'down' on United for quite some time but wasn't aware of these things. They screwed me over pretty good a couple times so they're not my favorite airline. 

One of my brothers is a jet-setter (do they still use that term?) and flies with United exclusively unless for a short hop in some other country and I've not heard any of this from him. 
  • peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,316 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That flight wasn't overbooked. 
    "I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
    Why not?
    From what I've read, it was only "full".  Fully booked, but not overbooked.
  • Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,004 ✭✭✭✭✭
    peter4jc said:
    That flight wasn't overbooked. 
    Yep, pretty sure it wasn't overbooked. What I read was that the United flight crew that needed those 4 seats didn't show up at the gate until the plane was already boarded by all the passengers. Next came the "re-accommodation"? Bad policy execution to say the least but as I understand it, United was within it's rights to do so. The really bad part started when the Dr. refused to comply, physically resisted, helped cause the flight to be delayed 2 hours, and the 5H17 show just got worse and worse from there. The federal officer didn't intend to injure the guy but he sure did. I'm not defending United, or the federal officer but I do think the Dr. should a' got off the plane rather than cling to his seat. What would any of you do in his shoes? 
    What would I do?  Well, I guess you'd say I'm a certified Type A personality. I'da done what the doctor did only maybe a bit more. If they're gonna randomly pick the sacrificial passengers and they run into someone like the doctor who had a valid need to be on that flight, then let them go pick a different random sucker. 

Feed 'em fish heads......

What a fustercluck....   B)
  • 0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2017
    Years ago, my wife and I were flying Alaska from Reno to Portland. Before boarding they announced that they overbooked and offered $800 per person, meal vouchers and lodging if we would take a flight in the morning.

So the wife and I walked away with $1600, meals and a night stay.
    Wasn't a problem for us, especially since round trip tickets for the both of us to Las Vegas and back were $480 each.
    In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
    jlmarta said:
    I'm not doubting your word, @clearlysuspect, but I'm curious to know how you know this. I've been 'down' on United for quite some time but wasn't aware of these things. They screwed me over pretty good a couple times so they're not my favorite airline. 

One of my brothers is a jet-setter (do they still use that term?) and flies with United exclusively unless for a short hop in some other country and I've not heard any of this from him. 

For the last 6 years I ran the Avionics Department for a company called Avmax at Jacksonville International Airport.  It's a major MRO (Maintenance Repair Operation) for regional jets (CRJ's, ERJ's, Dash-8s, etc.).  We serviced most United, Delta, ViaAir, DHS Boarder Patrol, and many other various customers performing heavy checks.  Most planes we'd dismantle, inspect, reassemble, operational check everything in about 2 weeks.

When we were finished with a plane we'd set a crew to make sure it delivered to the gate and take care of any issues that might arise to ensure it made it's first revenue flight once back in service.  So I've talked to countless ramp employees, terminal employees, Pilots, Crew, passengers, you name it.  Everyone in the industry knows United is the worst at everything.

Hope that answers your question. 

And they weren't overbooked.  They had a plane downed at another terminal and needed to send maintenance techs there to get that plane up and operational.  One of their planes sits on the ground for a day, it costs them about $250,000 per day.

It's pretty standard for them to remove passengers and accommodate them.  $800 is a pretty low ball offer when most other airlines offer upward of $2,000 for a seat plus accomodations.  Compared to the money lost from the other grounded plane, this is a no-brainer. 

They couldn't have handled this any worse.  They should have just started raising their offer by $100 until someone bit.

Thank you. That's a great explanation. You really have a better perspective than most of us. I appreciate your clarifying it for us.  B)
  • webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well, I learned one thing out of all this debate:

fustercluck

I like it.
    “It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

webmost said:
    Well, I learned one thing out of all this debate:

fustercluck

I like it.
    And did ya notice - the forum's weird censor thingie never noticed it. 
  • WylaffWylaff Posts: 5,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
    fuckereedoo

like digereedoo but fuckier.
    "Cooking isn't about struggling; It's about pleasure. It's like sǝx, with a wider variety of sauces."

At any given time the urge to sing "In The Jungle" is just a whim away... A whim away... A whim away...
  • dirtdudedirtdude Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You can mess with that switch all you want,  just don't touch that k n o b
    A little dirt never hurt
    edited April 2017
    Msg deleted
  • jd50aejd50ae Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭✭✭

Musslim Lawmaker in Minnesota Wants Life Insurance Payments Paid to Families of Jihadists

Aside from the politics of this, isn't the purpose of a hunger strike not to eat.

Yale grad students' 'hunger strike' apparently involves eating when hungry

Evidently they can get up and go somewhere to eat whenever they get hungry.

Well, sure. That's how millenials do things....   :#
  • YaksterYakster Posts: 25,527 ✭✭✭✭✭
    :D That's pretty smart. 
    I'll gladly bomb you Tuesday for an Opus today. 

Join us on the New Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
    I googled it. It's true. Grad teachers getting $30K plus $40K free tuition and benefits are sitting out front of the President's home asking for a raise. Grad students have a union, you see. When a faster gets tired, he can call in a sub; when a faster gets hungry, he can go eat one. 

Watch the fasters' video mid-page, where you encounter this quote from a supporter: 

"Your fast is an important part of resisting Trump's agenda for our country"
    ... Cleve Jones, LBGTQRSTUVWXYZ Rights Activist and founder of the NAMES Project AIDS Memorial Quilt.

I had no idea Trump was a regent.

Other supporters quoted include the president of a Memphis Sanitation Workers strike back in in 1968, a chair of a farm workers union, and, naturally, a vice-chair of the DNC. 

ps

I made that up where it says RSTUVWXYZ.
    I did not make up the quilt.

“It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• dirtdudedirtdude Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think I will quit smoking cigars....until I have another one
    A little dirt never hurt
  • YaksterYakster Posts: 25,527 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Kinda like my cigar spending freezes. Had to take a break last night from my freeze to buy more. 
    I'll gladly bomb you Tuesday for an Opus today. 

Join us on the New Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
    I was at a seminar way back, on prayer & fasting.  During the Q&A portion, a lady asked if it's okay to fast between meals.  The only thing I remember is that she was blond.
    And she undoubtedly voted and was a democrat....?   :p
    Putin..... uh..... sumthin

edited April 2017

VIDEO: Students Hate Trump's First 100 Days Accomplishments… Until Learning They're Obama's Accomplishments

This country is in so much trouble.

http://nation.foxnews.com/2017/04/29/video-students-hate-trumps-first-100-days-accomplishments-until-learning-theyre-obamas

• silvermousesilvermouse Posts: 19,044 ✭✭✭✭✭
    guess they are not teaching 'how to think' in schools these days.

Reuters has an article about this^ called the Trump Effect:

http://fingfx.thomsonreuters.com/gfx/rngs/USA-TRUMP-EFFECT-POLL/010040HG13T/index.html

How did they abbreviate it?
    Antifa