Home Non Cigar Related
Options

you can't make this stuff up

Comments

• Options
    WylaffWylaff Posts: 5,296 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It seems better written than most parody news sites.
    "Cooking isn't about struggling; It's about pleasure. It's like sǝx, with a wider variety of sauces."

At any given time the urge to sing "In The Jungle" is just a whim away... A whim away... A whim away...
  • Options
    jd50aejd50ae Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wylaff said:
    0patience said:
    Big US detention center sued for paying detainees $1 a day

Ok, pay them minimum wage, then deduct taxes, lodging, incidentals like shampoo, soap, etc. and meals and see how much they get per day then.

Devil's advocate, these are people who were more than willing to pay there own way. If we choose to lock them up for 2 years awaiting deportation, it's not quite their call. They should be either deported immediately, or allowed to continue functioning until we're ready to deport them. But keeping them in limbo, while making them work and paying them nothing sounds a lot like slavery. Especially since they do not have the choice to willingly deport early.
    The point is, you pay them minimum wage, deduct taxes, food and lodging, they won't even get the $1/day. 
    As for why they are there, they are here illegally, yes?
    That makes them detained by the law.
    I agree they should be processed and deported and not held.
    But, they are.
    You make it sound like it's not their fault. 

Sorry, I don't have a bleeding heart, so I have a hard time feeling sorry for them.
    In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
  • Options
    0patience said:
    Wylaff said:
    0patience said:
    Big US detention center sued for paying detainees $1 a day

Ok, pay them minimum wage, then deduct taxes, lodging, incidentals like shampoo, soap, etc. and meals and see how much they get per day then.

Devil's advocate, these are people who were more than willing to pay there own way. If we choose to lock them up for 2 years awaiting deportation, it's not quite their call. They should be either deported immediately, or allowed to continue functioning until we're ready to deport them. But keeping them in limbo, while making them work and paying them nothing sounds a lot like slavery. Especially since they do not have the choice to willingly deport early.
    The point is, you pay them minimum wage, deduct taxes, food and lodging, they won't even get the $1/day. 
    As for why they are there, they are here illegally, yes?
    That makes them detained by the law.
    I agree they should be processed and deported and not held.
    But, they are.
    You make it sound like it's not their fault. 

Sorry, I don't have a bleeding heart, so I have a hard time feeling sorry for them.

Why are we paying them at all...?
  • Options
    Because we won't process them, or arrest them, or deport them...
    "Cooking isn't about struggling; It's about pleasure. It's like sǝx, with a wider variety of sauces."

At any given time the urge to sing "In The Jungle" is just a whim away... A whim away... A whim away...
  • Options
    Usaf06Usaf06 Posts: 11,101 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My jail charges inmates 3.80 a day. If you come to jail with money they take it from that. If your family puts money on the commissary the jail takes from that.
    "I drink a great deal. I sleep a little, and I smoke cigar after cigar. That is why I am in two-hundred-percent form."
    -- Winston Churchill

"LET'S GO FRANCIS"     Peter

• Options
    That one I'm on board with. Just playing devil's advocate because I don't think the detention centers are ran as they should be.

^^^ I do not support illegal immigration, but I do think we should either deport them or let them go.

• Options
    webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wylaff said:
    That one I'm on board with. Just playing devil's advocate because I don't think the detention centers are ran as they should be.

^^^ I do not support illegal immigration, but I do think we should either deport them or let them go.

Soon's you privatize jails, there is not only no incentive to let anyone go, but oodles of profit in ensuring they are not let go.
    “It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• Options

jd50ae said:
    When Obama swapped his chief of staff for the scion of the Daley machine, who thought good could come of that?

Whatever happened to that Daley, BTW?
    “It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• Options
    CrisiusCrisius Posts: 414 ✭✭✭
    Wylaff said:

Or shoot em. 3 strikes you die. Deportation is really expensive. Get caught here illegally 3 times? A bullet between the eyes and dropped on your embassies door step with the bill for all the deportations, the bullet, and the transportation costs.

Get a few of those out there and illegal immigration would drop like a rock.
  • Options

TV programs in California interrupted with end-of-world prediction

• Options

Two California Cities Sue Oil Majors Over Climate Change

WSJ                 https://www.wsj.com/articles/two-california-cities-sue-oil-majors-over-climate-change-1505950981

I'm from there, so I can talk. 

• Options
    Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,248 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Crisius said:
    Wylaff said:

Or shoot em. 3 strikes you die. Deportation is really expensive. Get caught here illegally 3 times? A bullet between the eyes and dropped on your embassies door step with the bill for all the deportations, the bullet, and the transportation costs.

If you're joking, you need to know, you ain't funny.

(My first instinct is that you are joking, and maybe you aren't entirely like normal people.)

If you're not joking, find the door. 
  • Options
  • Options
    Now that calalafornia is a sanctuary state can we deport all criminal immigrants to them......just wondering.
  • Options
    TX98Z28TX98Z28 Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭✭✭
    jd50ae said:

TV programs in California interrupted with end-of-world prediction

I heard something about this prediction, sopost to be the 23rd of September something big is going down, there's some crazy crazy conspiracy theories going around about it. YouTube is full of them, some are worth watching I did watch one that was very very interesting. 
    If you quote me do the @TX98Z28 in your text or I won't be notified of your quote, Thanks.
  • Options
    MarkwellMarkwell Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2017

@KImJongUn actually smokes cigars. Wonder if he eats them as well.
    Post edited by Markwell on
    “Happiness? A good cigar, a good meal, a good cigar and a good woman – or a bad woman; it depends on how much happiness you can handle.” – George Burns
  • Options
    edited September 2017
    Bob_Luken said:
    Crisius said:
    Wylaff said:

(My first instinct is that you are joking, and maybe you aren't entirely like normal people.)

I'll stay. But I'm not joking. I'm tired of the US being everyones trash heap. You start sending bodies and bills back you will see illegal immigration come to a complete stop. You will see all the rats abandon the ship completely.

Disagree with me or even hate me if you want. Don't really care. I'm tired of seeing the US be abused by people who have no respect for our values or way of life. Many people want to move here and then turn it into the 3rd world country they just left. Funny enough, if they all got together in their own home countries and worked together they'd been able to fix the crap they disliked there instead of trying to destroy the US.
  • Options
    Markwell said:

@KImJongUn actually smokes cigars. Wonder if he eats them as well.
    I could be wrong, but I think that's from the Interview.

Image result for kim jong un cigar

Little Kim smokes cigarettes.

• Options
    peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,739 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'll bet your forefathers were glad those in power here in the US didn't think like you.  You're painting with a very broad brush.
    "I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
  • Options
    Crisius said:
    Bob_Luken said:
    Crisius said:
    Wylaff said:

I'll stay. But I'm not joking. I'm tired of the US being everyones trash heap. You start sending bodies and bills back you will see illegal immigration come to a complete stop. You will see all the rats abandon the ship completely.

Disagree with me or even hate me if you want. Don't really care. I'm tired of seeing the US be abused by people who have no respect for our values or way of life. Many people want to move here and then turn it into the 3rd world country they just left. Funny enough, if they all got together in their own home countries and worked together they'd been able to fix the crap they disliked there instead of trying to destroy the US.
    tommy lee jones GIF
  • Options
    peter4jc said:
    I'll bet your forefathers were glad those in power here in the US didn't think like you.  You're painting with a very broad brush.
    Well, if my forefathers had thought like that, they wouldn't have been put on reservations or slaughtered.
    And actually, white forefathers did think like that with the natives that were already here.

The problem is, the US is at crossroads and how it goes, is anyone's guess. 
    In history, the failures of great civilizations is others slowly overtaking them. 
    We are a country based on immigration, but those people worked hard to become citizens and had pride in it.

People coming here illegally are criminals.
    If we allow it, then why should anyone follow any law? 

At the same,time, we need to have proper procedures to make it so that the people who truly want to immigrate legally, have a chance.

The problem is as much a breakdown in our system, as it is a breakdown in our society.
    In Fumo Pax

Wylaff said:
  • Options
    edited September 2017
    The only reason we have this problem and the laws are being ignored and broken is because the democrats want criminal immigrants votes.
    If the democrats didn't want votes and didn't care how they got them the laws would not be questioned. BUT THE DEMOCRATS DON'T CARE, AT ALL. Anything at any cost to get votes, period.

All of the trouble happening in our streets and the congress is because of one person, Jimmy Carter, who pardoned Clinton. That is when it started boys and girls.
    And it is not going to get better until it gets a lot worse.
  • Options
    0patience said:
    peter4jc said:
    Well, if my forefathers had thought like that, they wouldn't have been put on reservations or slaughtered.
    And actually, white forefathers did think like that with the natives that were already here.

In history, the failures of great civilizations is others slowly overtaking them. 
    We are a country based on immigration, but those people worked hard to become citizens and had pride in it.

At the same,time, we need to have proper procedures to make it so that the people who truly want to immigrate legally, have a chance.

The problem is as much a breakdown in our system, as it is a breakdown in our society.
    Let's talk about today. Your buddy there is actually talking seriously about executing Illegals. Three strikes, you're dead. What do you say about that?
  • Options
    edited September 2017
    Bob_Luken said:
    0patience said:
    peter4jc said:

Let's talk about today. Your buddy there is actually talking seriously about executing Illegals. Three strikes, you're dead. What do you say about that?

It is of course not our way. But there are a lot of people getting really angry.

But, until you address why it happened and face the truth, and then fix it, then it does not matter what anybody says. Unlike one person on here who said "why" does not matter, it does matter, a lot.

You want to make changes, do it after you start enforcing the laws.

• Options
    @Bob_Luken
    I wasn't replying to that. 
    I was replying to the comment about the forefathers.

As for execution. I'm not for it, but not exactly against it for any criminals.
    3 strikes in this country means life in prison.
    The problem is, are we going to put thousands of illegal immigrants in our prison system for life because they have been caught doing illegal things 3 times?
    At who's cost?

Do you send them back to their country, where depending on the country, they will be released to do it all over again?

How do you break the cycle?

As for "Let's talk about today", tell that to the rest of the nation tearing down monuments and statues and all that.
    I agree. The past should be left in the past, but it shouldn't be forgotten either.
    Those things should be a constant reminder of how things were, so we don't make those same mistakes again.

I don't know the answers, but I do know that in the historical comparisons of all great civilizations, the US is on the downhill slope of collapse.
    A nation divided is a nation failing and we are.
    Our nation can't even get their $hit together on health care, how do they expect to get immigration solved? 
    In Fumo Pax

Wylaff said:
  • Options

Man who said the world is ending Saturday changed his mind. It isn't actually ending

The world is going to end tomorrow!!!
    tomorrow comes: Oops, my bad. Not today, but it is definitely gonna end sometime.

In Fumo Pax

Wylaff said:
  • Options
    Bob_Luken said:
    0patience said:
    peter4jc said:

http://money.cnn.com/2017/04/13/news/economy/deportation-costs-undocumented-immigrant/index.html

"Each deportation conducted by ICE cost taxpayers an average of $10,854 in fiscal 2016, an official from the agency told CNNMoney."

"During fiscal 2016, ICE spent $3.2 billion to identify, arrest, detain and remove undocumented immigrants, according to the Department of Homeland Security."

http://www.cabelas.com/category/Rimfire-Ammunition/104536080.uts

I can get a .22 bullet for roughly 8 cents. Put that through the back of someones head and they are fried.

So 2 strikes already costs the tax payers, $21,708. I've seen multiple news articles claiming some have been arrested and deported 10+ times. That's over 100,000$ of taxpayer money on just one person.

Some people just don't learn. There are laws in place, that many people choose to ignore on this issue. We've taken the soft stance for 40+ years. Deport them. Send em back. Even if we account for inflation of costs, it's still cost the US Billions of dollars that we don't get back at all.

At the very least we should be charging their country of origin with the cost of the deportation.

Look at any other country in the world. Their terms are rather simple, heavy fine + jail time. Some are even harder, death.

We need to take the harder or even the hardest approaches. Yes, we are a nation of immigrants. But before we were trying to build a country, at some point you have to stem the flow due to resources.

And I have no problem with people that ACTUALLY want to be here and do right by this country and it's laws. What I have a problem with is the flagrant disregard for those laws. We had so many ideals, freedom which is key, and now you can't even have that. If you disagree with someone now it's supposedly okay to attack them in the streets for who they support. People are killing cops left right and center and wondering why cops end up shooting people just for saying boo any more. We have enough problems with just our own citizens doing the right thing. How are we supposed to throw any kind of immigrants into that mix? Especially when once they get here they want to change this country to reflect the ones they fled from.

It's pure lunacy at this point.

And after SO MANY chances spread out over so many years eventually you have to step up and say enough is enough. And that's what I'm doing by advocating for such steep measures.