Home Non Cigar Related

What are you reading?

I'm reading my first epic fantasy series... it's called A Song of Ice and Fire by George RR Martin... I just started the 4th book called A Feast for Crows... Much like many other fantasy epics, it claims to be the best think since Tolkien... I can't really speak on that since I have yet yo read the Lord of the Rings, but I can say I dig these books. The series is still being written and book five is due out later this year... it has also been picked up by HBO. The pilot was just finished (which is probably why the 5th book is about a year behind schedule). The series has basically ruined me for other books... I can't get into anything else and have no idea what I will do while waiting for the 5th book... so what are you reading?

Comments

• undulacundulac Posts: 1,129
    Right now, nothing. It's tough for me to read in the winter. Long hours, loud kids, and can't get outside because it's too cold. I did however just purchase A Salty Piece of Land by Jimmy Buffett for my beach trip in June. I have a trip coming up in about a month to Miami so I'll have to make a run to the book store. I'll probably pick up another Cross series book by James Paterson. Can't go wrong with that in my eyes.
  • I'm reading Horn of a Hunter right now by Robert Ruark. Great read!
  • KamelyonKamelyon Posts: 109
    "Red" by Ted Dekker
  • robbyrasrobbyras Posts: 5,487
    Kamelyon:
    "Red" by Ted Dekker
    I have a copy of Black, which I believe is the first in the series, but I haven't picked it up yet...I'll probably give it a look soon
  • jsnakejsnake Posts: 5,979 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Everything written by Vince Flynn.
  • BStayerBStayer Posts: 318
    Right now it's Catch 22. It's been a couple of years since I read Lord of the Rings, so I'm thinking I'll be reading that one again in the near future.
  • haywood5150haywood5150 Posts: 35
    I'm reading the CCOM forums. But when I'm not on the internet, I read the Holy Bible and any books written by Brennan Manning. Right now I'm about half way through "Ruthless Trust".
  • TatuajeVITatuajeVI Posts: 2,378
    I started "Atlas Shrugged" by Ayan Rand a few weeks ago. I'll finish it in about 17 years. Holy crap this book is long, lol.
  • BStayerBStayer Posts: 318
    haywood5150:
    I'm reading the CCOM forums. But when I'm not on the internet, I read the Holy Bible and any books written by Brennan Manning. Right now I'm about half way through "Ruthless Trust".
    I have Abba's Child. I've actually had it for a little while now but just haven't reached for it yet. I've also heard very good things about The Ragamuffin Gospel which I hope to eventually read.
  • Hawk55Hawk55 Posts: 846
    Ford County by John Grisham....so far an interesting read. anything by Grisham for years has been excellent.
  • Hawk55Hawk55 Posts: 846
    I didn't realize there was anything out there that came close to the story lines of Tolkein. I can still remember being introduced to his books years ago and how enthralled I was with the concept. I think the thing that caught my attention was the description of it being an adult fantasy...and it was. I will definitely check out this series by Martin and thanks for the heads up on it.
    robbyras:
    Kamelyon:
    "Red" by Ted Dekker
    I have a copy of Black, which I believe is the first in the series, but I haven't picked it up yet...I'll probably give it a look soon

It's pretty captivating. I read it in about two weeks when it normally takes me a month or more to get through a book of that length.
    Hawk55:
    I didn't realize there was anything out there that came close to the story lines of Tolkein. I can still remember being introduced to his books years ago and how enthralled I was with the concept. I think the thing that caught my attention was the description of it being an adult fantasy...and it was. I will definitely check out this series by Martin and thanks for the heads up on it.
    Yeah, give it a look... It's a deep epic... lots of plot lines and characters... you can usually find the first book A Game of Thrones at the library... My fiance is reading The Wheel of Time series by Robert Jordan... that one is about 14 books though...
  • YankeeManYankeeMan Posts: 2,654 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "The Dome" by Stephen King. Pretty interesting and about as long as "It" and "The Stand".
  • lilwing88lilwing88 Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭
    World Without End by Ken Follett. Not quite as good as The Pillars of the Earth, but still a good read.
    Guns don't kill people, Daddies with pretty daughters do…..
  • fla-gypsyfla-gypsy Posts: 3,023 ✭✭
    Most of my reading consists of a daily perusing of the internet news sites and my studies of the Bible which I find fascinating.
  • Cooper33Cooper33 Posts: 168
    lilwing88:
    World Without End by Ken Follett. Not quite as good as The Pillars of the Earth, but still a good read.
    Pillars of the Earth is my favorite book. I've been recommending it for 15 years or so, then Oprah comes along and now everyone has read it.
  • Cooper33Cooper33 Posts: 168
    jsnake:
    Everything written by Vince Flynn.
    I'd recommend Lee Child if you like Vince Flynn.
  • lilwing88lilwing88 Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭
    Cooper33:
    lilwing88:
    Pillars of the Earth is my favorite book. I've been recommending it for 15 years or so, then Oprah comes along and now everyone has read it.
    I almost didn't read it because of the Oprah endorsement, but I'm glad I did. Oprah sucks.
    Guns don't kill people, Daddies with pretty daughters do…..
  • sightunseensightunseen Posts: 2,130 ✭✭
    robbyras:
    I'm reading my first epic fantasy series... it's called A Song of Ice and Fire by George RR Martin... I just started the 4th book called A Feast for Crows... Much like many other fantasy epics, it claims to be the best think since Tolkien... I can't really speak on that since I have yet yo read the Lord of the Rings, but I can say I dig these books. The series is still being written and book five is due out later this year... it has also been picked up by HBO. The pilot was just finished (which is probably why the 5th book is about a year behind schedule). The series has basically ruined me for other books... I can't get into anything else and have no idea what I will do while waiting for the 5th book... so what are you reading?
    If you like this series so far, I would recommend you start the Wheel of Time series by Robert Jordan. The series is 14 books long so far (including the prequel), with two books left in the series. Be prepared to waste at least a year on this series, but man it's worth it.
    sightunseen:
    robbyras:
    If you like this series so far, I would recommend you start the Wheel of Time series by Robert Jordan. The series is 14 books long so far (including the prequel), with two books left in the series. Be prepared to waste at least a year on this series, but man it's worth it.
    My Fiance is reading that right now. She's 9 or 10 books in. I will be jumping into that one soon... I have a stack to read before I make that kind of commitment... Thanks for the heads up!
  • stephen_hannibalstephen_hannibal Posts: 4,317
    I'm reading the Zombie Survival Guide.
    stephen_hannibal:
    I'm reading the Zombie Survival Guide.

I've got that sitting on my bookshelf waiting for a rainy day.
  • j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    I've been reading The Rainmaker by John Grisham for the past few days. I like pretty much anything he writes, and I'm really liking this one. His novels are so much better than the movie adaptations.
  • SaVasSaVas Posts: 250
    The Godfather - Mario Puzo is my current read. Every year I go to a local Book fair and pick up between 100 and 300 books (mainly paperbacks since they are my preferred book size). I read on average 2 to 4 books a month.
  • haywood5150haywood5150 Posts: 35
    BStayer:
    haywood5150:
    I have Abba's Child. I've actually had it for a little while now but just haven't reached for it yet. I've also heard very good things about The Ragamuffin Gospel which I hope to eventually read.
    That is a great book. I enjoyed it very much. Actually, "Ruthless Trust" is considered the sequel to the "Raggamuffin Gospel". Another one I really enjoyed was "The Furious Longing of God".
    Kamelyon:
    "Red" by Ted Dekker
    I finished up my last book and since the next installment isn't coming out any time soon, I started reading Black... about halfway through and i'm impressed... the writing is elegant in it's simplicity... great imagery without overdoing it...
  • gmill880gmill880 Posts: 5,947
    The First Family by Mike Dash ...... a mafia story ...
  • j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    Started reading Bag of Bones by Stephen King a couple days ago, I'm liking it so far.
  • It's Our Ship, by Commander Mike Abrashoff. Excellent book on leadership by a retired U. S. Navy Commander.