Home Non Cigar Related

Severe back strain... Any tips?

Puff_DougiePuff_Dougie Posts: 4,599 ✭✭✭✭✭
So, went to the church today to help strip and clean floors. Got down on my knees to scrub along the baseboards. Felt the muscles in my lower right back ball up like a fist. Couldn't stand up. Worst pain I've ever felt. A couple people eventually helped me to my car (passenger seat) and drove me home. Been resting it, doing gentle stretches and applying heat and ice intermittently, but it's not letting go. Walking like Quasimodo. Anybody have any suggestions? 
"When I have found intense pain relieved, a weary brain soothed, and calm, refreshing sleep obtained by a cigar, I have felt grateful to God, and have blessed His name." - Charles Haddon Spurgeon

Comments

• TrishTrish Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Chiropractic and a tenz unit but until then massage/ if you have a tennis ball you can try laying on it working it around  a little 
  • genareddoggenareddog Posts: 4,025 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ice and muscle relaxers. Back problems suck. 
  • CharlieHeisCharlieHeis Posts: 8,144 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2018
    Ice Ice Baby

I'm icing mine after a long day/week now.
  • YaksterYakster Posts: 25,531 ✭✭✭✭✭
    TENS works good for pain block/temporary relief.
    I'll gladly bomb you Tuesday for an Opus today. 

Join us on the New Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • PatrickbrickPatrickbrick Posts: 7,722 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "I suggest you start drinking heavily."  Ice 20 mins on 20 off, works well, also lay on the floor on your back for about an hour works for me at least.
    "We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give".  Winston Churchill.
    MOW badge received.
  • TX98Z28TX98Z28 Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭✭✭
    So, went to the church today to help strip and clean floors. Got down on my knees to scrub along the baseboards. Felt the muscles in my lower right back ball up like a fist. Couldn't stand up. Worst pain I've ever felt. A couple people eventually helped me to my car (passenger seat) and drove me home. Been resting it, doing gentle stretches and applying heat and ice intermittently, but it's not letting go. Walking like Quasimodo. Anybody have any suggestions? 
    Sorry to hear this, I’ve got the same damn problem...Apply the ice pack before the heat 20-30mins on then the heat pack same duration. The icing will reduce the immflamuation, the heat will then increase blood flow to the area/muscle group. 400mg ibuprofens morning and night. Tens unit if you have one. Do NOT stretch yet. Stay off muscle relaxers until after seeing the chiropractor, they will calm stuff down so much the doc won’t be able to tell what’s messed up. Drink plenty of water also stay off narcotic pain medication until seeing the chiropractor, they will kill the pain then won’t be able to tell how much pain your actually in! Buy a back support belt. Hope it gets better soon man.
    If you quote me do the @TX98Z28 in your text or I won't be notified of your quote, Thanks.
  • ForMudForMud Posts: 2,336 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Geisha girls jump to my mind......Just make sure they clip their nails first.

I have nothing to useful to add that hasn't been said above.
  • IndustMechIndustMech Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lay on the floor, with your knees bent. It's a neutral position for your back.

In a few days when, hopefully the pain is not as bad, while laying on the floor with knees bent, tightened up your abdominal muscles causing the small of your back to press, gently, toward the floor. hold for about 10 seconds and release. Called a pelvic tilt.

I've gone the MD and Physical Therapist route. I went 2 or 3 times a week for 5 weeks and haven't been back since. that was about 18 years ago.

I used to take Ibuprofen, too.

I know, You're a big dog and I'm on the list.
    Let's eat, GrandMa.  /  Let's eat GrandMa.  --  Punctuation saves lives

It'll be fine once the swelling goes down.

Capzasin roll on can help.

Take my advice @Puff_Dougie
    if not you’ll just just f*** it up more. Your injured and probably walk-in sideways, been there many tines, let the doc fix before doing stuff while your injured resulting in more being injured...
    If you quote me do the @TX98Z28 in your text or I won't be notified of your quote, Thanks.
  • Puff_DougiePuff_Dougie Posts: 4,599 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks y'all. Trying most of those suggestions. Hurts like #*%!#.
    "When I have found intense pain relieved, a weary brain soothed, and calm, refreshing sleep obtained by a cigar, I have felt grateful to God, and have blessed His name." - Charles Haddon Spurgeon
  • Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2018
    Just don't leave the heat on too long.  Makes it worse.  Ice, Ice, and methocarbamol, but you'll have to see your doc for that.  No buzz, just muscle relaxation.
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
    Just don't leave the heat on too long.  Makes it worse.  Ice, Ice, and methocarbamol, but you'll have to see your doc for that.  No buzz, just muscle relaxation.
    I just came off those 1000mg a day withdrawl was insane...drink on em and you’ll be throwed. Think there same as Robaxin.
    Yakster said:
    Capzasin roll on can help.
    It's starting to really heat up now.  I strained my back today and had the Wife roll some on, just got back from the store and I'm starting to feel the heat.

• firehouseguyfirehouseguy Posts: 996 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Potassium gluconate
    Cigars were made to be smoked, whiskey was made to be drank and women were made to be loved. The only thing I try to age is myself. 
  • RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    PT and plenty of scotch 
  • MartelMartel Posts: 3,306 ✭✭✭✭
    Get used to it.

I hate to be "that guy." But I'd never had back pain until one day I was buying bags of mulch...

I've never been the same since.
    Intelligence is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.

I like Oliva and Quesada (including Regius) a lot.  I will smoke anything, though.
  • dirtdudedirtdude Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I found 40 years ago a good chiropractor is gold, trouble is good ones are hard to find.
    A little dirt never hurt
    edited May 2018
    Had a partner of a good chiropractor give me a bad neck adjustment once.  Last time I went to a chiropractor.

• 0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good chiropractor, but eucalyptus oil and a good rest helps me a lot.
    Ginger and turmeric tea is a good native pain reliever.
    But you will want to add some flavor to it. I prefer honey and cinnamon.
    In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
  • Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2018
    TX98Z28 said:
    I just came off those 1000mg a day withdrawl was insane...drink on em and you’ll be throwed. Think there same as Robaxin.

Yeah, it's robaxin.  Can be hard on your stomach.  I had never heard of anyone having withdrawals.  When I first hurt my back I took 1000mg/day for 5 years, quit, nothing.  Not denying your experience at all, everyone's different.  By the time I had my knee replacement I was up to 40mg oxycodone a day just to be able to walk.  After it was 80mg/ day for a couple months.  As the pain resolved I took less and less, now I take a 7.5 hydrocodone maybe 2 or 3 times a month with a Robaxin if my back gets too bad.  No problem.  I've known lots of people who couldn't do that. 

Funny, when I quit cigarettes I definitely had withdrawals.  Sweats, tremors, IRRITABILITY on a grand scale.  Yet, if I can't have a cigar for some reason, no problem.

YMMV.
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A good chiropractor has a place in society. Notice I said a good one. The rest are just quacks who’ll tell you they can cure athletes foot with a few adjustments. 

For a number of of years I couldn’t ‘sleep in’ on a day off because of extreme pain in my hips. One day, on a whim, I decided to try a chiropractor. Long story short, he laid me on my side on the table and ‘cracked’ my spine like you crack your knuckles. I’ve had no further problems sleeping-in ever since. Seems I had a vertebra out of place. 

So i’ll recommend the good ones and tell the others to look for another line of work......   B)
  • Puff_DougiePuff_Dougie Posts: 4,599 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Last time I was "cracked" I ended up with severely sprained chest cartilage. Dude dang near broke my ribs. He was (past tense) my PCP, but was an Osteopath with "some training" in chiropractic. 

Went to Wal-Mart this morning for some office supplies. Only needed a few items, but took a cart and used it as a walker. Getting old sucks!
  • NOGILLS2NOGILLS2 Posts: 156 ✭✭✭
    I remember those days of pain. The one thing I attribute to no more back pain is learning how to get out of bed properly! I role to my side facing the edge of the bed, and as I allow my legs to slide over the edge I use my elbow to raise my shoulders and head. until I am in a sitting position on the side of the bed.  Then I stand. Haven't had any back pain since!
    I am a happy man. You have made me very grateful. For this is the very first time that the Crown Jewels have ever been adequately & deliriously praised by an unprejudiced person. Still it is the cigars' own fault that this is so for it is a cigar which excites envy & jealousy in the smoker because he knows & feels the truth of which you have said; that there is no other cigar that is just like it. There are cigars which resemble it but only in appearance, not in spirit & not in the ability to dare & do. There is no other cigar that can make a person want to go away & get by himself & think this life over & wonder if it is altogether worth while. I will send you some more when you get out. Let me know. Any man of fine intelligence who is acquainted with Crown Jewels prizes them above any other gems & saves them & hoards them. I gave Harry Rogers a box two years ago & he has them yet. Let me know when you are out.
  • rsherman24rsherman24 Posts: 6,736 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Foam Roller will help loosen the muscles.  If you have never used one, google it (has nothing to do with painting).  It hurts kind of like a deep tissue massage, but best thing ever for your back
  • MarkwellMarkwell Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭✭✭
    One of those oriental massages couldn't hurt  ;)
    “Happiness? A good cigar, a good meal, a good cigar and a good woman – or a bad woman; it depends on how much happiness you can handle.” – George Burns
    Heading to my every 3 week chiropractic appointment. Hope @Puff_Dougie you found a good one and getting everything feeling better!
  • silvermousesilvermouse Posts: 19,049 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ^who cares where the phone is  :D
  • IndustMechIndustMech Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2018
    Dude, where's my phone?

I know, You're a big dog and I'm on the list.
    Let's eat, GrandMa.  /  Let's eat GrandMa.  --  Punctuation saves lives

It'll be fine once the swelling goes down.