Home Trades, Passes and Bombs

New year new you contest

genareddoggenareddog Posts: 4,025 ✭✭✭✭✭
I am not big on diets because 99% of people that diet lose weight and regain the weight shortly after. I am big into fitness. I have 3 races this year and at 50 I want to have a pr on my last race of the year. I want to lose 10-15 lbs by May. If I am the only one on the forum who wants to lose weight and get in better shape just ignore this but if anyone wants to join I think the accountability is one of the keys to fitness success. 
 I was thinking to have at least 4-5 people minimum. A forum fiver from the losers to the one winner. The most body weight percentage lost wins. 
 What do you think? Who is in? Share your stories of why you want to lose weight or not. 

Comments

• TridentTrident Posts: 2,561 ✭✭✭✭
    I'm in.  

are we having any rules with this?  pictures for proof?  what is the start date?  end date?  weekly or monthly weigh ins?  I can start a spread sheet on google docs if you need.  
  • WaterNerdWaterNerd Posts: 3,279 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm in. I need to lose a few pounds :)
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt
    — Abraham Lincoln

• genareddoggenareddog Posts: 4,025 ✭✭✭✭✭
    As far as proof was just figuring on the honor system. Let’s start this Friday the 11 and end date of May 4. @Trident when you start talking spread sheet and google you lost me. If want to do that that is great but entirely up to you. We could do a monthly weigh in on the first of each month. And as @Wylaff said earlier this should be about a healthy lifestyle change not about winning a contest. Any other input is very welcome just want to see everyone healthy, happy and Smokey. 
  • TridentTrident Posts: 2,561 ✭✭✭✭
    i agree with you.  just to keep track
  • jgibvjgibv Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I lost ~20 lbs Jan 2018-June 2018.  
    I’ve put it back on from Oct-now.

I need to get back into a regular schedule of running & yoga — not just to lose a few pounds but also to help my back pain go away.  

Plan on running another half in March/April and would like to hit 1:50....we’ll see

* I have a new address as of 3/24/18 *

• jgibvjgibv Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What’s your training schedule for look like @genareddog ??

* I have a new address as of 3/24/18 *

jgibv said:
    While training for a race I run between 25-30 miles a week. While not training 20 miles. I do one long day, one hills or speed work and the rest are 5 miles runs. I lift 3 days a week. My problem is a love to eat and have very little self control. 
  • HawkeyeHawkeye Posts: 246 ✭✭✭✭
    jgibv said:
    While training for a race I run between 25-30 miles a week. While not training 20 miles. I do one long day, one hills or speed work and the rest are 5 miles runs. I lift 3 days a week. My problem is a love to eat and have very little self control. 
    I feel like you are describing me.  The thing that worked for me in the self control department was tracking macro nutrients.  It does not help with everyone, but when I have a target in mind and have an idea of how to hit it, it really helps with my self control.  I just lost a little over 20 lbs over the past 3 months with a similar story to yours.
    Despite the high cost of living, it remains popular.
  • jd50aejd50ae Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2019
    Already lost 112 pounds. Does that count?
  • TX98Z28TX98Z28 Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well I can't say this contest would work for me to participate as I'm losing fat and gaining muscle, wanting to basically stay around the same weight. Already back to 220 after getting out of the hospital but can be back to 206, 205 or less in a week 
    (water weight) if I really wanted to but thats not my goal as of now. It's hard to lose fat and keep/gain muscle at the same time naturally, I'm happy with my slow/steady progress.

Cool contest though, I fully support those that enter! Look forward to seeing y'alls results! 
    If you quote me do the @TX98Z28 in your text or I won't be notified of your quote, Thanks.
  • PatrickbrickPatrickbrick Posts: 7,722 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Funny thing is his waist is smaller than mine, dude is talking about loosing weight and he is a railroad spike.  Seriously if you have not met him in person you need too.
    "We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give".  Winston Churchill.
    MOW badge received.
  • MartelMartel Posts: 3,306 ✭✭✭✭
    Sign me up.

I want to do some hiking in Yosemite in June.  Haven't been there since college, but it's my favorite place on earth.  The wife decided we should go after I talked to her about it.

Back and knee could both stand me to drop some weight before scrambling around the high Sierra.
    Intelligence is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.

I like Oliva and Quesada (including Regius) a lot.  I will smoke anything, though.
    So far we have:
    genareddog
    trident
    waternerd
    martel
    jgibv?
     Who else wants to get healthy and stay healthy! Starts Friday morning.
  • IndustMechIndustMech Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2019

I'm in.

262 lbs. Normal work clothes, composite toe boots.  Nothing in my pockets.

How about ending it on a Friday the 3rd, I may not have access to the scale on Saturday the 4th

I know, You're a big dog and I'm on the list.
    Let's eat, GrandMa.  /  Let's eat GrandMa.  --  Punctuation saves lives

It'll be fine once the swelling goes down.

• NorCalR1NorCalR1 Posts: 4,197 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Count me in as well 

If you want to bomb me send it to Tony @0patience :D
    If you are a newbie I got Dem nachos....

genareddog
    trident
    waternerd
    martel
    jgibv?
    IndustMech
    NorCalR1

We picked up two more. Keep them coming. We start in the morning. 
    Time to start. If everyone else is ok with Friday may 3 as weigh in its a go. 
    195 lb for me. My goal is 180 even though would love to be at 170 I don’t want to stop enjoying life. Good luck everyone and be healthy about this.
    I'm not setting a goal so much as just to consistently work to drop.  At some point, I'd love to get to around 200, but for this time frame, I'd take around 225.
    Intelligence is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.

I like Oliva and Quesada (including Regius) a lot.  I will smoke anything, though.
  • IndustMechIndustMech Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭✭✭

261 lbs.

I'd like to get to 230

I know, You're a big dog and I'm on the list.
    Let's eat, GrandMa.  /  Let's eat GrandMa.  --  Punctuation saves lives

It'll be fine once the swelling goes down.

183 this am. My Goal is 170. Dr. just put me on a very low sodium / low to no protein diet. Going to be a challenge but if I can get everything under control now I won't have major issues in the future.
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt
    — Abraham Lincoln

• WylaffWylaff Posts: 5,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I May have overindulged the pizza a bit.
    "Cooking isn't about struggling; It's about pleasure. It's like sǝx, with a wider variety of sauces."

At any given time the urge to sing "In The Jungle" is just a whim away... A whim away... A whim away...
    Just because we weighed in you can join in any time. 
    Got out the boots and trekking poles and hiked with my wife this afternoon for about a mile and a half.  Hills, rocks, 32 degrees, 5mph breeze.  Worked up a sweat and the heart rate.

• NorCalR1NorCalR1 Posts: 4,197 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Weighed in yesterday morning 
    265 goal is 245. Good luck to all I hope everyone meets or exceeds their goals. 
    In the end we all come out winners

If you want to bomb me send it to Tony @0patience :D
    If you are a newbie I got Dem nachos....

Very busy tomorrow so weighed in this morning and I am at 189. Lost 6lbs. Not really cutting out any food just cutting down on portions. Instead of 2 plates of pasta cut down to 1. How is everyone else doing?
  • silvermousesilvermouse Posts: 19,049 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ^ good thinking.
    Who'da guessed: Oversized meals have been shown to be a factor in obesity
    https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2019/01/190129162359.htm
    Weighed in today 173.6 off to a nice start  :)
    — Abraham Lincoln

187 this morning. Only 2 lbs down but feeling really good. How’s everyone else doing?
  • Usaf06Usaf06 Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I started a low carb low sugar diet nearly 3 weeks ago. PRoblem is i never weighed myself before i started so i have no idea how im doing. I also started intermittent fasting and only eat between 9am and 5pm. already lost signifcant weight 
    "I drink a great deal. I sleep a little, and I smoke cigar after cigar. That is why I am in two-hundred-percent form."
    -- Winston Churchill

"LET'S GO FRANCIS"     Peter