Home Non Cigar Related

What are you reading?

Comments

• MartelMartel Posts: 3,306 ✭✭✭✭
    Several years ago I went through an Edward Abbey period.  I was reading some Wendell Berry and discovered that they shared a teacher.  Interesting similarities and divergences, there, but I digress.  I've read most of his novels but had never read the nonfiction.  I downloaded his master's thesis and am starting it today.

I won't type out what it's called because it will probably get me watched or something.  Of course dropping his name may have done that already.

But seriously, I'm a near-pacifist so whatever it says, I'm probably the safest guy to read it.
    Intelligence is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.

I like Oliva and Quesada (including Regius) a lot.  I will smoke anything, though.
  • silvermousesilvermouse Posts: 19,043 ✭✭✭✭✭
    keep an eye on this if your retirement savings are invested in equities:
    https://www.kitco.com/news/2019-08-07/Spook-Central-Marketplace-Unnerved-As-Bond-Yields-Race-To-The-Bottom.html
  • VegasFrankVegasFrank Posts: 16,586 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Astrophysics for people in a hurry by NDT
    Don't look ↑
  • Trykflyr_1Trykflyr_1 Posts: 2,500 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Engine Operation and Maintenance Recommendations for Honeywell Propulsion Engines Operated in Volcanic Ash-Laden Environments.      Because we have volcanoes here too.
    I'm still troubled by what I did for that Klondike bar...
  • jd50aejd50ae Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2019
    webmost said:
    Silvermouse

In order to download this thesis, academia.edu wants me to agree that they may see and download my google contacts. What the hell why?
    ALGORITHMS 

Edited for an errant u.
    https://blogs.scientificamerican.com/observations/todays-biggest-threat-the-polarized-mind

As the bitter strife between left and right, citizen and noncitizen, white and non-white attest, the greatest threat to humanity today goes beyond political and religious divides, economics, and psychiatric diagnoses. It goes beyond cultural conflicts and even the degradation of the environment—and yet it includes all of these.

As psychologists concerned with the social and psychological bases of human destructiveness, and as dedicated observers of history, we have arrived at the conclusion that so much of what we call human depravity (“evil”) seems to be based on a principle termed “the polarized mind.” The polarized mind is the fixation on a single point of view to the utter exclusion of competing points of view, and it has caused more human torment and misery than virtually any other factor.  
  • Far_North_64Far_North_64 Posts: 925 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Engine Operation and Maintenance Recommendations for Honeywell Propulsion Engines Operated in Volcanic Ash-Laden Environments.      Because we have volcanoes here too.
    More than once I had to carry extra air filters in the car while driving south of Anchorage. 
    Now this is not the end of the cigar. It is not even the beginning of the end of the cigar. But it is, perhaps, the end of the beginning of the cigar.

• WylaffWylaff Posts: 5,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Big Damn Heroes. It's a novel that continues the story from the series Firefly. It's written exactly like the show was, and makes me quite nostalgic. 
    "Cooking isn't about struggling; It's about pleasure. It's like sǝx, with a wider variety of sauces."

At any given time the urge to sing "In The Jungle" is just a whim away... A whim away... A whim away...
    Lessons Learned from Civil Aviation Accidents, the Transport Aircraft category.  In particular, the accident report for the Saudia Flight 163 inflight cargo compartment fire and subsequent actions.   Completely survivable accident in which 301 people perished. 
  • CalvinAndHoboCalvinAndHobo Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Street Lawyer - John Grisham 

Picked up like 20 of his books at a thrift store, never read anything by him before but I've heard good things. 
  • IndustMechIndustMech Posts: 4,659 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Street Lawyer - John Grisham 

Picked up like 20 of his books at a thrift store, never read anything by him before but I've heard good things. 

Read his first 5 or 6. All very good

I know, You're a big dog and I'm on the list.
    Let's eat, GrandMa.  /  Let's eat GrandMa.  --  Punctuation saves lives

It'll be fine once the swelling goes down.

• VegasFrankVegasFrank Posts: 16,586 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yep, very readable.
    Don't look ↑
    The King of Torts - John Grisham 
  • YaksterYakster Posts: 25,527 ✭✭✭✭✭
    King of Jorts?

What were we talking about?

I'll gladly bomb you Tuesday for an Opus today. 

Join us on the New Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
    Yakster said:
    King of Jorts?

What were we talking about?

I set a middle finger speed record scrolling up to see if I seriously made that typo. 
  • YankeeManYankeeMan Posts: 2,654 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just finished "The Affair," one of Lee Child's earlier novels I missed.
  • Far_North_64Far_North_64 Posts: 925 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Christmas in July. It's about one of the last battles of the Korean War, Christmas Hill. My Dan was wounded in the battle one week before the armistice was signed. The battle was fought just for negotiation purposes. Still pisses me off. 
    Now this is not the end of the cigar. It is not even the beginning of the end of the cigar. But it is, perhaps, the end of the beginning of the cigar.

Caffeine (and smoking, among other drug interactions)

https://www.psychiatrictimes.com/cme/caffeine-neurobiological-and-psychiatric-implications

"These properties have significant consequences for how the metabolism of caffeine is affected by some drugs, and how other drug metabolisms are affected by caffeine. The most common drug-drug interaction, which can have a clinical effect on how much caffeine is required to achieve a psychostimulant effect, is related to smoke. It is well established that smoke from any source (nicotine cigarettes or cigars, cannabis cigarettes, lengthy and prolonged exposure to smoke from a wood fire) induces the liver’s CYP450 1A2 enzyme—gradually increasing the activity of this enzyme by continuous smoke exposure over 2 weeks. This induction results in increased metabolism of caffeine by the CYP450 1A2 enzyme, requiring more caffeine to attain the same blood level as would be required in a non-smoker."
    Rogue Lawyer - John Grisham
    @CalvinAndHobo, his stuff is pretty good, but starts to get very similar after his 10th or 11th book.  Try John Sandford ( a pseudonym, I'm sure) as well.  His Prey series is real good, and there are 2 spin off series from that.  

I'm perusing the Honeywell Primus 1000 Integrated Avionics System Test and Fault Isolation Manual.   213 pages of edge-of-your-seat electronic mayhem.
    Reduction of Aggressive Episodes After Repeated Transdermal Nicotine Administration in a Hospitalized Adolescent with Autism Spectrum Disorder

Abstract

Aggression remains a major cause of morbidity in patients with autism spectrum disorder (ASD). Current pharmacotherapy for aggression is not always effective and is often associated with morbidity. Nicotinic acetylcholinergic neurotransmission may play a prominent role in ASD pathophysiology based on human and animal studies, and preclinical studies show nicotine administration can reduce aggression-related behaviors. Transdermal nicotine has been used to treat agitation in neuropsychiatric conditions with cholinergic dysfunction. Here we report the use of transdermal nicotine as an adjunctive medication to treat aggression in a hospitalized adolescent with ASD. Nicotine patch was recurrently well tolerated, and reduced the need for emergency medication and restraint. These findings suggest further study of transdermal nicotine for aggression comorbid with ASD is warranted.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4755349
  • IndustMechIndustMech Posts: 4,659 ✭✭✭✭✭
    LanTech VS001004 Manual

Fork lift drivers don't like it when the automatic pallet wrapper doesn't work automatically.

I know, You're a big dog and I'm on the list.
    Let's eat, GrandMa.  /  Let's eat GrandMa.  --  Punctuation saves lives

It'll be fine once the swelling goes down.

Dietary Intake Regulates the Circulating Inflammatory Monocyte Pool
    https://www.cell.com/cell/fulltext/S0092-8674(19)30850-5
    Just finished The Forever War. Starting the Gentlemen Bastards series.
    "Cooking isn't about struggling; It's about pleasure. It's like sǝx, with a wider variety of sauces."

At any given time the urge to sing "In The Jungle" is just a whim away... A whim away... A whim away...
    A Time To Kill - John Grisham
  • MartelMartel Posts: 3,306 ✭✭✭✭
    Wylaff said:
    Huge fan of that Haldeman.  Outside of a couple of short stories, don't know if I've read much else from him, though.  Really good military sci-fi.
    Intelligence is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.

I like Oliva and Quesada (including Regius) a lot.  I will smoke anything, though.
    Martel said:
    Wylaff said:
    Huge fan of that Haldeman.  Outside of a couple of short stories, don't know if I've read much else from him, though.  Really good military sci-fi.
    At first glance I thought it didn't age too well. It took me a couple minutes to put together the Vietnam allegory, then it was much more enjoyable.

The Firm - John Grisham
    The Pelican Brief - John Grisham 
    https://www.newswise.com/articles/apples-tea-and-moderation-the-3-ingredients-for-a-long-life/sc-sphn

Newswise — Consuming flavonoid-rich items such as apples and tea protects against cancer and heart disease, particularly for smokers and heavy drinkers, according to new research from Edith Cowan University (ECU).