Home Non Cigar Related
Options

Coffee

Comments

• Options
    HeavysetrapierHeavysetrapier Posts: 642 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What are your thoughts on running just water through a coffee maker then pouring that into the French press?
  • Options
    silvermousesilvermouse Posts: 19,496 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I use a Behmor drip brewer, programmed to 203°F, 1.5 minute pre-soak, works well.
  • Options
    peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,619 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What are your thoughts on running just water through a coffee maker then pouring that into the French press?
    Very few drip coffee makers get the water hot enough...  probably trying to avoid lawsuits.  The thing w/ a french press is the glass (and the grounds) act like a heat sink, so it's best to start out on the high end of the range.  You, being the culinary kind of guy should have a thermometer around and it'd be easy to check.

A french press beaker is wide enough that you could get away with heating water in a saucepan too.
    "I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
  • Options
    VegasFrankVegasFrank Posts: 16,969 ✭✭✭✭✭
     And I use bottled water
    Disclaimer:  All trolling is provided for the sole entertainment purposes of the author only. Readers may find entertainment and hard core truths, but none are intended. Any resulting damaged feelings or arse chapping of the reader are the sole responsibility of the reader, to include, but not limited to: crying, anger, revenge pørn, and abandonment or deletion of ccom accounts. Offer void in Utah because Utah is terrible.
  • Options
    YaksterYakster Posts: 26,095 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Phase one of nitro cold brew.

Join us on Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • Options
    jd50aejd50ae Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2020
    All of this is just my humble opinion.
    We have well water and it is tested every 6 months. Even DCS has tested it to make sure we are good foster care grandparents. I have, for ***** and grins compared it with store bought water. Our water is better, anyone want to buy some? We can beat the cost of store water.
    (The only bought water in this house is distilled water for the humidors.)
    I have at one time or another used every type of coffee maker on the market.
    None has proven to be as good as my Bonavita. No sludge, no residue and the coffee is clear. It has yet to fail to improve the flavor and drink-ability of any coffee I have used. I have even used coffee I turned my back on years ago, and there is a huge improvement. Even the 2nd cup is good with no loss in flavor and no residue left in the cup.
    I think french press is a joke, and having tried it from five different makers I will never buy one again, we have enough mud in the yard.
    With the Bonavita you put in the water and coffee, press one button and you are done.
    Like I said, just my humble opinion.
  • Options
    edited January 2020
    PS To Above
    After reading a post about permanent filters I bought one for the Bonavita.
    It left residue in the pot and added nothing to the flavor. Back to #4 unbleached brown paper filters.
  • Options
    PatrickbrickPatrickbrick Posts: 7,777 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Your hate for French press sounds like user error to me.
    "We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give".  Winston Churchill.
    MOW badge received.
  • Options
    jd50ae said:

We have well water and it is tested every 6 months. Even DCS has tested it to make sure we are good foster care grandparents. I have, for ***** and grins compared it with store bought water. Our water is better, anyone want to buy some? We can beat the cost of store water.
    Sure, do you offer free shipping? I use bottled because the water here in Vegas is very hard and tastes like crap.  Glad your well works for you. If you don't think it makes a difference, we can do a Vegas water challenge. I'll send you a bottle of tap water and you drink the whole thing warm.

jd50ae said:

Like I said, just my humble opinion.
    Um, really?  :naughty:

hum·ble
    /ˈhəmbəl/
    adjective
    1. 1.
      having or showing a modest or low estimate of one's own importance.

jd50ae said:

I think french press is a joke, and having tried it from five different makers I will never buy one again, we have enough mud in the yard.
    The sultan of Brunei thinks that Gurkha makes the best cigars too. So what? Sure, French press isn't for everybody, but I like the particulates and oils from a French press or a mesh filter.  Not for you, ok, but dang JD, opinions can't be wrong...by definition.

Love ya bro.....
    Disclaimer:  All trolling is provided for the sole entertainment purposes of the author only. Readers may find entertainment and hard core truths, but none are intended. Any resulting damaged feelings or arse chapping of the reader are the sole responsibility of the reader, to include, but not limited to: crying, anger, revenge pørn, and abandonment or deletion of ccom accounts. Offer void in Utah because Utah is terrible.
  • Options
    Oh, it may mean nothing, but my Wife's started drinking my coffee again.
  • Options
    Me too ^ but mine isn't a fan of the cold brew.

• Options
    I'm not a big fan either, but nitro cold brew can be good. There's an expression "cold brew funk" that describes a common flavor.
  • Options
    edited January 2020
    Also, brewing in a pour-over into ice can be much more enjoyable, especially with bright coffees from Africa.

Iced Coffee Recipes

1. Shakerato
    130 g ice
    double espresso
    1/2 oz simple syrup
    Shake

2. Iced V60-01 (Beta)
    14 g coffee
    140 g water
    60 g ice

3. Kalita 340 Double batch
    24 g coffee
    210 g water
    140 g ice split between 185 & base

3.5 December 340
    40 g coffee
    350 ml water
    250 g ice
    Preinfuse 100 ml water for 1 minute on stage 0 (December Dripper closed)
    Pour remaining 250 ml water on stage 0.5 for a nice, slow drip

4. Kalita 340 (155 on 185)
    14 g coffee
    140 g water
    60 g ice in 185 filter

5. Brazen iced coffee recipe v3
    60 g coffee
    550 ml water
    340 g ice (~14 tray cubes)

6. Iced Kalita by Paul Yates ‏@PaulCoffeeFreak
    45g coffee
    300g ice,
    420g H2O,
    finer grind,
    200F.
    Scout's Honor from Handsome Roasters

7. Iced Kalita Scaled Down
    22 g coffee
    140 g ice
    220 ml water

8. Single Serve Iced Aeropress
    14 g coffee
    100 g water
    70 g ice (~3 tray, ~4 automatic maker ice cubes)

9. Iced Chemex
    40 g Coffee
    283 ml Water
    196 g Ice (~8 tray cubes)

10. Double "Alcatraz" Iced Chemex (took on an overnight to Alcatraz)
    80 g Ethiopian Chelektu Yirga Cheffe
    566 ml Water
    392 g Ice (~16 tray cubes)

11. Single-Serve Cold Process Aeropress (not recommend)
    10 g coffee
    150 ml cold water
    1 ice cube
    Soak in 8 oz Jelly Jar for 3 hours
    Filter through Aeropress

12. Bruer Cold Drip Hot Bloom
    50 g coffee (Try with 60 g)
    100 g hot bloom
    300 g ice
    300 g cold water

#recipe #coffee
  • Options
    Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,151 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2020
    Any recipe recommendations for for my first batch of cold brew? I assume I'll use a medium grind from my virtuoso grinder but I'm only working with quart mason jars, nothing fancy as far as equipment goes. Wondering, how many grams of coffee should I go with, and how long to let it sit in the fridge? I'm planning to filter the results into a second mason jar through my malita pour over with filter. And I've seen videos where they dilute the resulting batch with fresh water (after they filter it) to make two quarts total,... supposedly to dilute the higher caffeine content and strength of flavor. Any thoughts on all this? 

I don't have any experience making, or even drinking cold brew but I want some coffee/caffeine that is easy to transport and is ready to drink on road trips and late nights at work. And I've heard that cold brew has a smother flavor but more caffeine. 
    Post edited by Bob_Luken on
  • Options
    Yakster said:
    She should have her own cup, just sayin'
  • Options
    #12 would be a good start, 50 or 60 grams coffee with 700 ml cold water for 8-12 hrs.

www.brewmethods.com has lots of recipes and videos to check out.
  • Options
    edited January 2020
    Awesome insight, thanks Chris!  I used 70 grams of course ground coffee + 1000 milliliters of water and I let it sit 15 hours in this ovalware rig. 

Edit, hit post too fast: I noticed some particulates in the Brew so I Port it twice through screen filters from my press to get the larger chunks out. I used to Peter's Peru roast.  Wifey says that there is a vinegar smell to it that I cannot detect. Very smooth and not acidic at all.
  • Options
    Yakster said:
    She should have her own cup, just sayin'

Oh, gosh, she's a coffee cup collector, we've run out of room in the cupboard. She found that McDonald's Fire King cup in a thrift.
  • Options
    Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,151 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yakster said:
    #12 would be a good start, 50 or 60 grams coffee with 700 ml cold water for 8-12 hrs.

www.brewmethods.com has lots of recipes and videos to check out.
    I assume after I filter the results of (60g grounds in 700ml water) I should drink it as is, and not diluted further? 
  • Options
    Yeah, didn't see your bit about concentrate, it can be drink straight but it'll be strong.

Don't save cold brew for more than a few days, flash brew is nice because you get more coffee flavor without the wait, but it's a different drink.
  • Options
    ^^^You'll have to experiment and see what suits you.

I love cold-brew in the summer, but have to add some half-and-half and a touch of sugar... it's just too far outside my paradigm of what coffee should be to enjoy the cold-brew on its own.  You heard right, Bob, in that it will be smoother and more potent caffeine-wise, and maybe that's why I'm not a proponent; as a coffee purist/snob, I don't want it smoother because that means it's lost much of what I think it should have.  I can see for your intended uses, cold-brew will work well.  And it can store in a fridge w/o going bad for a couple of weeks.

I won a Toddy cold-brewer years back as a door prize, and still like using it.
  • Options

• Options
    A weird take on storing coffee. Not sure if I'm going to try this, but it it involves Boveda packs so it's something many of us can try.

https://youtu.be/J7xEbf1mkm0
  • Options
    Muy interesante.  
  • Options
    Boveda is going to love this.
  • Options
    They may have to revise their chart

• Options
  • Options
    jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2020
    The weak spot that immediately jumps out at you in this video is that the control of the steeping time is pretty ambiguous. And, depending on the brand of filter holder you may have, the coffee could rush through into the cup with practically no steep time. Melitta is the brand I’m referring to. 

Been there, done that. That’s why I bought a Clever Dripper. You can steep as long as you wish with a dripper. 😎
  • Options
    jlmarta said:
    The weak spot that immediately jumps out at you in this video is that the...
    Happy Curmudgeon Day!