Home Non Cigar Related

What are you reading?

Comments

• YaksterYakster Posts: 25,534 ✭✭✭✭✭

May 17 is celebrated in the scientific world as the day the Antikythera Mechanism was discovered in 1901, an Ancient Greek device that some scientists have called the world’s first computer.

https://greece.greekreporter.com/2020/05/17/antikythera-mechanism-the-ancient-greek-artefact-that-continues-to-amaze-scientists/amp/

I'll gladly bomb you Tuesday for an Opus today. 

Join us on the New Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • silvermousesilvermouse Posts: 19,049 ✭✭✭✭✭

https://aeon.co/essays/how-the-cruel-moraliser-uses-a-halo-to-disguise-his-horns

"Having said all this, there can be no doubt that cruel moralism does indeed play a significant role in propelling and providing (moral) cover for excessive retributivism throughout society and its institutions, including its legal institutions and practices. The disturbing truth about cruel moralism is that it is a propensity that’s deeply rooted in morality itself, and that plays out and displays itself in public as well as private life. In both spheres, its pernicious motivation and destructive effects remain largely concealed."

• peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,322 ✭✭✭✭✭

Gotta watch out for those cruel moralisms; stick with the kind moralisms instead...

"I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis

I'll take chaotic neutral over cruel moral any day.

• webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's awesome, @silvermouse. And look at the fabulous waterbear which lives inside these glacier mice:

I'll be 72 in July, and I'm having more fun learning now than ever before.

“It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭✭✭

reading Lucid Dreaming by Robert Waggoner. Interesting so far, to me, I've engaged in lucid dreaming since about the age of 7. I thought I was just weird, until reading Carlos Castaneda's books in the early 70's and finding out that other people did it, too.

Of course, I am still weird, but at least I'm not the only one.

WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain

I read that book and the Carlos Castaneda books, but so far no luck with breaking through to Lucid Dreaming and my journey to become a Shaman has stalled due to lack of psychedelics and having kids.

@Yakster said:
    I read that book and the Carlos Castaneda books, but so far no luck with breaking through to Lucid Dreaming and my journey to become a Shaman has stalled due to lack of psychedelics and having kids.

Sometimes the sub-conscious doesn't want you to know what it's up to.

WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
    edited May 2020

Speaking of the subconscious, I'm 70 pages into a fascinating look at how our minds work, how we are unknowingly biased, what causes those biases, and how to think more accurately. I'm looking to learn how to refute the idiots around me <(wink)>.

@Amos_Umwhat said:

@Yakster said:

Oh, I believe that. I tested myself for Extrasensory Powers with Zener cards and found out that I have negative-psi or psi-missing where I have the talent to guess wrong more often than random chance allows. This is said to mean that some part of me knows the right answer and sends the wrong one up the chain to my conscious mind.

@silvermouse said:
    you know we are all idiots, don't you?

https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2020/05/got-my-fingers-crossed-iter-fusion-project-marks-milestone-chief-ponders-pandemic

Cranes lift ITER’s cryostat base into the tokamak pit to begin reactor assembly. ITER ORGANIZATION

• deadmandeadman Posts: 8,804 ✭✭✭✭✭

I’ve been seeing this. Took 10 years and a few lives but someone finally got it and Fenn confirmed it.

The ungoverned globe
    The end of the liberal order would unleash chaos; its continuance means unconstrained economic suffering. What to do

https://aeon.co/essays/can-the-liberal-order-be-transformed-by-global-government

• YankeeManYankeeMan Posts: 2,654 ✭✭✭✭✭

"Hit List" by Stuart Woods.

• rsherman24rsherman24 Posts: 6,736 ✭✭✭✭✭

@CalvinAndHobo said:
    Just finished a book called My Brother's Destroyer by Clayton Lindemuth. One of the most unique books I've ever read, in a very good way. It's similar to a western, except it takes place something like 15 or 20 years ago. The whole book is written vernacularly, about a somewhat crazy hillbilly Moonshiner living in the woods in western North Carolina who's dog gets stolen. It took a few chapters to adjust to the intentional misspelling and slang, but it added so much to the story and the character. To anyone who likes westerns or noir this is a must read. Going to read the rest of the series now.

Just burned through the first book and downloaded the second. Enjoyed it

@Yakster said:

@Amos_Umwhat said:

@Yakster said:

Oh, I believe that. I tested myself for Extrasensory Powers with Zener cards and found out that I have negative-psi or psi-missing where I have the talent to guess wrong more often than random chance allows. This is said to mean that some part of me knows the right answer and sends the wrong one up the chain to my conscious mind.

You have Groundhogmind!!!
    Punxsutawney Phil: "While records weren't consistently kept until 1900 (after the first official "prediction" in 1887), Phil now operates at a 39 percent weather accuracy rate ...." So, chances of a correct forecast are better if one expects the opposite.

"Killing Time" by Caleb Carr.

• First_WarriorFirst_Warrior Posts: 3,140 ✭✭✭✭✭

Our library finally opened. Salt River by Randy Wayne White one of my fav authors.

Into the abyss of nothingness. I'm drawn to existentialism, but find it best to keep it at a distance.

I find myself drawn to some, such as Kierkegaard and Martin Buber, but disappointed that the nihilistic school of thought of J.P. Sartre etc. seemed to become the only face of existentialism in the modern era.

I guess I take the "nothingness" to be akin to Zen nothingness wherein the ego is vanquished allowing unbiased observation, whereas Sartre's nothingness seems to be, nothing.

It's a very confusing thing.

• deadmandeadman Posts: 8,804 ✭✭✭✭✭

Picked this up

• WylaffWylaff Posts: 5,270 ✭✭✭✭✭

@deadman said:
    Picked this up

I don't think I'd have the stomach for that one.

"Cooking isn't about struggling; It's about pleasure. It's like sǝx, with a wider variety of sauces."

At any given time the urge to sing "In The Jungle" is just a whim away... A whim away... A whim away...

"Redemption" by David Baldacci.