Home General Discussion
Options

Whatcha smokin tonight?

Comments

• Options
    illinoisgolf99illinoisgolf99 Posts: 1,507
    illinoisgolf99:
    PuroFreak:
    Well to finally report back on the ITC 10th, it had great flavor, medium body, but when I took the band off the wrapper came with it almost all the way around the stick. WAY too much adhesive used on the band and it really screwed up the cigar because it started unraveling towards the head of the cigar. The entire middle third of the smoke had the wrapper pealing and coming off. Frustrating night to say the least.

hey thats ITC?

whats ITC?**
  • Options
    j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    illinoisgolf99:
    illinoisgolf99:
    PuroFreak:
    Well to finally report back on the ITC 10th, it had great flavor, medium body, but when I took the band off the wrapper came with it almost all the way around the stick. WAY too much adhesive used on the band and it really screwed up the cigar because it started unraveling towards the head of the cigar. The entire middle third of the smoke had the wrapper pealing and coming off. Frustrating night to say the least.
    hey thats ITC?
    whats ITC?**
    ITC
  • Options
    phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    Alex Svenson:
    Man O War Ruination in a 4 x 56 prototype size. Needs more humi time as they are still a little wet but man, Ruination still my all time favorite!
    What would be your favorite size? I'm starting to really dig these guys too.
  • Options
    MarkHMarkH Posts: 120 ✭✭
    Had a LFD Coronado double toro this afternoon. Wow..spicy right off the bat but settled down for a good two hour smoke.
  • Options
    sdipsdip Posts: 406

Today's rotation

5 Vegas Gold robusto, Perdomo Signature robusto, Padilla 68 robusto

• Options
    fla-gypsyfla-gypsy Posts: 3,023 ✭✭
    Today's line up. Oliva Series "O" La Flor De Cano 5 Vegas AAA Cu-avana Intenso
  • Options
    Today was a one smoke day with my go to cigar, the Carlos Torano Exodus 1959 Gold. Solid as always, nubbed it.
  • Options
    firetruckguyfiretruckguy Posts: 2,522 ✭✭✭
    CAO Black, wasnt bad at all.....
  • Options
    Matt MarvelMatt Marvel Posts: 930
    Started the day off with a 5 Vegas Miami, then later it was a Nica Libre. I'm capping things off with my first San Cristobal. It's been a pretty enjoyable smoke thus far.
  • Options
    urbinourbino Posts: 4,517
    Be interested to hear your final thoughts on that one, Matt.
  • Options
    urbino:
    Be interested to hear your final thoughts on that one, Matt.
    It was a nice, simple smoke, if that makes sense. It had a nice spiciness to it. Perfect burn and construction and great flavor throughout. There's nothing special about it really, but it's certainly a good stick and something I'll try to keep on hand. I will say that I wasn't putting a lot of thought into it. I have two more though. I'll try to give a better review on it another time.
  • Options
    illinoisgolf99illinoisgolf99 Posts: 1,507
    fla-gypsy:
    Today's line up.

Oliva Series "O"

La Flor De Cano

5 Vegas AAA

Cu-avana Intenso

hey gypsy how was the 5 vegas AAA?
  • Options
    Makes sense to me, Matt. A "nice, simple smoke" that you don't have to think about too much is a winner in my book.
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    today i had two cigars.
    cigar one:
    Brick house.
    i didnt like it. iduno. i had high hopes and i was let down.

cigar two:
    LFD Reserva Especial El Jocko Maduro.
    this was a little perfecto (32-54 x 4.5). the lick on the cap was very oily and delicious with hints of chocolate. the smoke was round and full with chocolate and earth. it was subtly sweet and was more chocolate when the ring gauge was larger. this was a surprisingly full bodied smoke and i was feeling it by the end. get some if you can. this one had a bout 8 months on it. i bet it would age very well.
  • Options
    michaelharveymichaelharvey Posts: 202 ✭✭
    im thinking....centurian and maybe a relic. still not sure depends on how much time i have and how much sleep i want to get.
  • Options
    PuroFreakPuroFreak Posts: 4,131 ✭✭
    j0z3r:
    illinoisgolf99:
    illinoisgolf99:
    PuroFreak:
    hey thats ITC?
    whats ITC?**
    ITC
    Yea, what Jozer said. lol It's the Indian Tabac Company by Rocky Patel's 10th Anniversary cigar. Great medium bodied smoke with a lot of flavor. Nowhere near the RP Decade, but a good solid smoke IMO.

Well tonight I met up with some guys in the Dallas Cigar Society for a herf at a shop not too far from here and had a damn good time. First smoke I had was the Tatuaje Veruco Tubo (Tat Red in the tube) and it was fantastic! Perfect burn and perfect draw! Tons of flavor and wasn't a let down at all. The $10 price tag was pretty good too. The next smoke was the La Flor Dominica Double Ligero Chiselito. This is a powerful little sucker! Great flavor and a very full bodied smoke. Also had a great burn and draw. Had to head home after that to get the kiddo in bed, but had a hell of a night. It's back to work tomorrow so at least I got to enjoy tonight!
  • Options
    Duder2Duder2 Posts: 926
    Tonight was a Verdarero Organic. Pretty decent mild smoke, great construction, nice aroma, not bad at all. Thanks Firetruckguy, been wanting to try one of these :^)
  • Options
    Duder2:
    Tonight was a Verdarero Organic. Pretty decent mild smoke, great construction, nice aroma, not bad at all. Thanks Firetruckguy, been wanting to try one of these :^)
    That smoke was the biggest surprise I've had as a cigar smoker. It's one of the most flavorful cigars I've ever had, seriously.

Tat Havana VI for me this morning. This is my second one and damn I love this thing. I see a box of these in the near future.
  • Options
    after very dissapoint news about a job oppertunity, I had to get something to make me not want to go cave man and start throwing ****...turned to an Oliva V. My God, what a cigar. Made me forget that I am back to square one...
  • Options
    rwheelwrightrwheelwright Posts: 3,296
    Haven't been smoking as much lately. Mostly due to the weather and the fact that I am teaching 4 nights a week now. I haven't posted on here since last week so here we go.

Friday night I started off with a Gurkha Crest Torpedo. My second and last one. This one had between 12 - 14 months of age. The draw was not as loose as the first one. The taste was ok for the first 3rd but after that the burn and taste went downhill. Had to keep relighting it and touching up so I gave up with it with about an inch and a half - two inches left. Then, I moved to a Gurkha Shaggy Maduro Torpedo. I have had these before and they were better than this! It wasn't bad but I was expecting better. I don't remember too much except that my smoking night was a little bit of a disappointment.

Sunday, on the way home from the womans house I had a Gurkha Park Ave from the cotm club. The taste was fairly good and mild but not too mild that it sucked. I was semi happy until I removed the label and it ripped a huge hole in the wrapper and the burn was **** after that. Still tasted fine but had to deal with the burn.

Monday, on the way to and from picking up my new AV receiver I smoked a CAO Gold in what I think was the corona gorda size or possibly the churchill. It was pretty mild and tasted ok but I was not thrilled with it. I am not a CAO fan. Some are ok but most do nothing for me. This was given to me. The guy actually gave me three so I'll probably give the other two to a friend.
  • Options
    I just finished a Perdome Reserve Sun Grown courtesy of Phil(clearly suspect). It was something new, and I really enjoyed it. That is what I like about trades, You try things you might not normally buy. I finished the day with a Don Pepin Blue. An excellent cigar to finish any day.
  • Options
    alienmisprintalienmisprint Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭
    I just finished a 5 Vegas Triple A, very rich smoke. Damn good, but I think the CSII is still my favorite 5 Vegas.
  • Options
    sdipsdip Posts: 406

Yesterday's menu

Padilla Achilles torp, La Aurora 2nd Belicosa, Perdomo Fresh Rolled Cuban robusto

• Options
    rwheelwright:
    Haven't been smoking as much lately. Mostly due to the weather and the fact that I am teaching 4 nights a week now. I haven't posted on here since last week so here we go.

Friday night I started off with a Gurkha Crest Torpedo. My second and last one. This one had between 12 - 14 months of age. The draw was not as loose as the first one. The taste was ok for the first 3rd but after that the burn and taste went downhill. Had to keep relighting it and touching up so I gave up with it with about an inch and a half - two inches left. Then, I moved to a Gurkha Shaggy Maduro Torpedo. I have had these before and they were better than this! It wasn't bad but I was expecting better. I don't remember too much except that my smoking night was a little bit of a disappointment.

Sunday, on the way home from the womans house I had a Gurkha Park Ave from the cotm club. The taste was fairly good and mild but not too mild that it sucked. I was semi happy until I removed the label and it ripped a huge hole in the wrapper and the burn was **** after that. Still tasted fine but had to deal with the burn.

Monday, on the way to and from picking up my new AV receiver I smoked a CAO Gold in what I think was the corona gorda size or possibly the churchill. It was pretty mild and tasted ok but I was not thrilled with it. I am not a CAO fan. Some are ok but most do nothing for me. This was given to me. The guy actually gave me three so I'll probably give the other two to a friend.
    What receiver did you get? I've been eying a Onkyo and/or Yamaha, which I might just go with the Yamaha since my current one is. I felt the same way with the crest. Though I haven't had the torp. I do know I was very displeased with it since it was expensive. Seems most of the expensive cigars I try I am not very pleased with. 16 and up is what I consider expensive.
  • Options
    sightunseensightunseen Posts: 2,130 ✭✭
    Last night I intended to smoke a Padilla Obsidian. The wrapper cracked on me as soon as I lit it and I got mostly flavors of burning. Not burning [insert material], just burning. I gave it about half an inch before I tossed it. Not sure what went wrong, but I know this stick has been restly comfortable for the past several months so it's not an environment issue.

Next I had a JdN Clasico. It's an ok stick. Burn was good. Flavors of wood and a bit of pepper. A little one dimensional. I will be sure to have something awesome tonight to make up for last night.
  • Options
    phobicsquirrel:
    rwheelwright:

What receiver did you get? I've been eying a Onkyo and/or Yamaha, which I might just go with the Yamaha since my current one is. I felt the same way with the crest. Though I haven't had the torp. I do know I was very displeased with it since it was expensive. Seems most of the expensive cigars I try I am not very pleased with. 16 and up is what I consider expensive.
    I was looking at the Denon AVR-3310CI as a "get me by for now receiver" but my A/V guy suggested that I get a Cambridge Audio Azur 650r. The 650r just came out. It is a little more than the Denon and has less features and less wattage too but is supposed to sound soooooooooooooooooo much better than the Denon and actually be underrated with it's wattage. Cambridge is supposed to be an Audiophile class receiver and they are more focused on sound than features. The reviews I have seen on it so far look very promising. It sounds great but does somethings that I am not sure are normal. However, with that said there was something rattling around in the case so he got me a new one and I need to pick it up. It packs a good punch! I'll let you know more as I get to test it more.

What I really want is to get separates but I can't afford that now after getting the house. Really high end separates cost around $7500 a piece or more.
  • Options
    lol, I've been in this biz for several years, and I can tell a difference between a walmart low end to a mid range denon or yamaha or onkyo, but above that it's hard. I don't have super hearing, so when I see people spending 5000 and higher on audio equipment I shake my head. You've got a nice setup though, but for me I keep my cap under 1500. I picked up my current one for 500 down from 900 several years ago before hdmi became a must and before hd audio. So I do need to upgrade. I think of all the stuff I could get for 7500... lol.
  • Options
    I've been eyeing a new a/v receiver for a while, too. Just haven't found anything that's grabbed me, yet.

I smoked nuffin' last night. Too windy.
  • Options
    The Cambridge goes for $1799 but I got it for $1498 after tax. The denon is about $1499 but I've seen them for $1299. One of these days when I move to a different house and I can build a home theater as opposed to a room I turned into one, I'll get some really nice stuff!

Smoked the OpusX Magnum. Not much to say other than the burn was horrific. Definately needs to age in that department. It was an OK smoke.
  • Options
    ooo, Rob picked some of those up for me, just waiting for them. I'm looking forward to them. Sorry you had a bad burn with them. Was it as good as a normal opus or any differences?