Home Non Cigar Related

What are you reading?

Comments

• RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,908 ✭✭✭✭✭

@webmost said:

@Wylaff said:
    I finished Timeline by Michael Crichton last night. It started out solid, but I found myself getting lost with medieval french names by the end. I started Master and Commander by Patrick O'Brian. I'm about a hundred pages in. It's decent. a quick read, but if your not used to English (British) writing it is significantly drier than it's american counterparts.

Horatio Hornblower is so much better than Jack Aubrey it's not even close. Try that series. Start with Beat to Quarters.

Totally agree. Hornblower rocks. Jack Aubrey can get tiring. If anyone wants to check it out though let me know. either series. If it’s ok with @CalvinAndHobo for me to pass them on.

• CalvinAndHoboCalvinAndHobo Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Rhamlin said:

@webmost said:

@Wylaff said:
    I finished Timeline by Michael Crichton last night. It started out solid, but I found myself getting lost with medieval french names by the end. I started Master and Commander by Patrick O'Brian. I'm about a hundred pages in. It's decent. a quick read, but if your not used to English (British) writing it is significantly drier than it's american counterparts.

Horatio Hornblower is so much better than Jack Aubrey it's not even close. Try that series. Start with Beat to Quarters.

Totally agree. Hornblower rocks. Jack Aubrey can get tiring. If anyone wants to check it out though let me know. either series. If it’s ok with @CalvinAndHobo for me to pass them on.

Here's the link. You'll have to find the series in order via another source and use control f to find the title you're looking for, but they're all there. And I'd be fine if @Rhamlin wanted to pass them on as long as the whole series stays together. When books are out of circulation it can be frustrating to try and find one that's missing in the middle of a series.

http://gutenberg.ca/index.html#h2completecatalogue

• RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,908 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Wylaff said:

@webmost said:

@Wylaff said:

I'll look for it next time I'm at the book store. Thanks.

@Wylaff said:

@webmost said:

@Wylaff said:

I'll look for it next time I'm at the book store. Thanks.

Let me know if you want the Jack Aubrey books?
    I kinda want to hold onto the Hornblower. I plan on putting up a nice shelf to display them in the lounge.

• webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭

The copmplete Hornblower series as one word doc hee:

https://archive.org/details/HoratioHornblowerCompleteNovelsByC.sForester

“It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• silvermousesilvermouse Posts: 19,046 ✭✭✭✭✭

https://www.forbes.com/sites/brucedorminey/2020/07/11/is-planet-9-actually-a-primordial-black-hole/#5e4da0994d80

"That is, a hypothetical primordial black hole (PBH) with a horizon size no larger than a grapefruit, and with a mass 5 to 10 times that of Earth."

• TheKrakenTheKraken Posts: 2,240 ✭✭✭✭✭

The Visual Display of Quantitative Information by Edward Tufte. Not the most thrilling but very useful. Ready to get back to The Stormbringer Archive if Brian Sanderson would finally finished. Already given up on Patrick Rothfuss finishing The Kingkiller Chronicles

• YankeeManYankeeMan Posts: 2,654 ✭✭✭✭✭

"The Chase" by Clive Cussler.

• First_WarriorFirst_Warrior Posts: 3,140 ✭✭✭✭✭

"The Shape Shifter" Tony Hillerman

"Devil's Gate" by Clive Cussler and Graham Brown

reading about glacier bears in southern Alaska

"Persuader" by Lee Child

• WylaffWylaff Posts: 5,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

I’ve been listening to Garth Mix’s Old Kingdom trilogy. It’s narrated by Tim Curry and very enjoyable.

"Cooking isn't about struggling; It's about pleasure. It's like sǝx, with a wider variety of sauces."

At any given time the urge to sing "In The Jungle" is just a whim away... A whim away... A whim away...

Red Metal by Mark Greaney

Wrath of Poseidon" by Clive Cussler and Robin Burcell.

https://www.nature.com/immersive/d41586-020-02082-1/index.html

Pluto’s dark side spills its secrets — including hints of a hidden ocean
    Images of the dwarf planet’s far side are revealing possible signs of liquid water, mysterious shards of ice and new theories for the frigid world’s birth.

"The Simple Truth" by David Baldacci.

Antioxidants Gone Bad: When the Microbiome Promotes Cancer
    https://www.genengnews.com/news/antioxidants-gone-bad-when-the-microbiome-promotes-cancer/

Dead Eye by Mark Greaney The Gray Man series.

fascinating article about the structure of phages

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41467-020-17505-w

• YaksterYakster Posts: 25,528 ✭✭✭✭✭

Too dense for me right now, Edward.

I'll gladly bomb you Tuesday for an Opus today. 

Join us on the New Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )

"Credible Threat" by J. A. Jance.

• BullSquatchBullSquatch Posts: 562 ✭✭✭✭✭

i am really going to show my age here, but i recently found the entire series of Harry Potter that i read when i was in grade school and i am going to dive back in for a revisit. Great series. Make your jokes. LOL

"Some people meditate, I smoke cigars." - Ron Perlman
    "...I intend to go home tonight and smoke a cigar to the glory of God." - Charles Spurgeon
    Two Time Cigar Lottery Winner

• YaksterYakster Posts: 25,528 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well, I remember that I'd have my oldest daughter read Harry Potter to me at night and I'd always fall asleep while she was reading.

I'll gladly bomb you Tuesday for an Opus today. 

Join us on the New Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
    edited August 2020

It's a great series of books

"...I intend to go home tonight and smoke a cigar to the glory of God." - Charles Spurgeon

hmm, I blame self-medication, pot and "the munchies":
    https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2020/08/200803092125.htm
    Baby boomers show concerning decline in cognitive functioning

Posted: 03 Aug 2020 06:21 AM PDT

In a reversal of trends, American baby boomers scored lower on a test of cognitive functioning than did members of previous generations, according to a new nationwide study.

• Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭✭✭

@silvermouse said:
    hmm, I blame self-medication, pot and "the munchies":
    https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2020/08/200803092125.htm
    Baby boomers show concerning decline in cognitive functioning

Posted: 03 Aug 2020 06:21 AM PDT

In a reversal of trends, American baby boomers scored lower on a test of cognitive functioning than did members of previous generations, according to a new nationwide study.

Think maybe Television, Sedentary lifestyle, and the advent of the internet might have something to do with it, as well? Plus the fact that the Public School system started getting seriously dumbed-down in the 60's? Because the politicians figured out that they'd over-educated the general masses since they no longer wanted to go to foreign lands and die for the profitability of American Corporations?

Just some thoughts.

From an aging boomer.

Probably just nonsense.

WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
    edited August 2020

from one aging boomer to another, nope, not nonsense.

Mapping gene flow between ancient hominins through demography-aware inference of the ancestral recombination graph

full paper here:
    https://journals.plos.org/plosgenetics/article?id=10.1371/journal.pgen.1008895

Abstract
    The sequencing of Neanderthal and Denisovan genomes has yielded many new insights about interbreeding events between extinct hominins and the ancestors of modern humans. While much attention has been paid to the relatively recent gene flow from Neanderthals and Denisovans into modern humans, other instances of introgression leave more subtle genomic evidence and have received less attention. Here, we present a major extension of the ARGweaver algorithm, called ARGweaver-D, which can infer local genetic relationships under a user-defined demographic model that includes population splits and migration events. This Bayesian algorithm probabilistically samples ancestral recombination graphs (ARGs) that specify not only tree topologies and branch lengths along the genome, but also indicate migrant lineages. The sampled ARGs can therefore be parsed to produce probabilities of introgression along the genome. We show that this method is well powered to detect the archaic migration into modern humans, even with only a few samples. We then show that the method can also detect introgressed regions stemming from older migration events, or from unsampled populations. We apply it to human, Neanderthal, and Denisovan genomes, looking for signatures of older proposed migration events, including ancient humans into Neanderthal, and unknown archaic hominins into Denisovans. We identify 3% of the Neanderthal genome that is putatively introgressed from ancient humans, and estimate that the gene flow occurred between 200-300kya. We find no convincing evidence that negative selection acted against these regions. Finally, we predict that 1% of the Denisovan genome was introgressed from an unsequenced, but highly diverged, archaic hominin ancestor. About 15% of these “super-archaic” regions—comprising at least about 4Mb—were, in turn, introgressed into modern humans and continue to exist in the genomes of people alive today.

• CalvinAndHoboCalvinAndHobo Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭✭✭

@First_Warrior said:
    Dead Eye by Mark Greaney The Gray Man series.

Is this series good/worth reading? Compared to others in it's genre? It's on my list but I keep finding other stuff to jump it.