Options

The Precious

KriegKrieg Posts: 5,188 ✭✭✭
edited January 2022 in General Discussion

"Long ashes my friends."

Comments

• Options
    Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,453 ✭✭✭✭✭

Krieg! Nice to see you posting! Awesome job.

WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • Options
    LuvBourbonLuvBourbon Posts: 91 ✭✭✭

WOW, that's really awesome man!

• Options

@Amos_Umwhat said:
    Krieg! Nice to see you posting! Awesome job.

yeah, its been awhile, lol. Thx!!

"Long ashes my friends."

• Options

@LuvBourbon said:
    WOW, that's really awesome man!

"Long ashes my friends."

• Options
    ShawnOLShawnOL Posts: 8,425 ✭✭✭✭✭

I can't wait to see it finished. It looks great so far.

Trapped in the People's Communits Republic of Massachusetts.

• Options
    peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,456 ✭✭✭✭✭

Now that the Ccom Ambassador situation has been ironed out, he's stocking up again and needs more room.

"I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
  • Options
    Hobbes86Hobbes86 Posts: 3,165 ✭✭✭✭✭

That is impressive! Since it will have a higher RH were there any vapor barriers used?

"Iron sharpens iron, and one man sharpens another." - Proverbs 27:17

• Options
    edited January 2022

@Hobbes86 said:
    That is impressive! Since it will have a higher RH were there any vapor barriers used?

No, I asked my inspector vapor barriers are needed, and he said no, just greenwall (green drywall).

"Long ashes my friends."

• Options

I have one more side I am going to put shelves on. Might do it this weekend depending on how I feel (broke a rib last week). I will take you guys on a tour soon and post a video.

"Long ashes my friends."

• Options
    IndustMechIndustMech Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭✭✭

Is that red cedar?

I know, You're a big dog and I'm on the list.
    Let's eat, GrandMa.  /  Let's eat GrandMa.  --  Punctuation saves lives

It'll be fine once the swelling goes down.

• Options
    EgoBoundaryEgoBoundary Posts: 2,174 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great job man, now we all have something to aspire to… my coolidors are an eye sore ( to everyone but me).

• Options

@EgoBoundary said:
    Great job man, now we all have something to aspire to… my coolidors are an eye sore ( to everyone but me).

Thanks for the kind words, I remember my Tupperdore days. ;)

"Long ashes my friends."

• Options
    peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,456 ✭✭✭✭✭

@IndustMech said:
    Is that red cedar?

@Krieg Tell us more about the wood you used for the walls, please.

"I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
  • Options

@peter4jc said:

@IndustMech said:
    Is that red cedar?

@Krieg Tell us more about the wood you used for the walls, please.

Cedar, what would you like to know?

"Long ashes my friends."

• Options
    VegasFrankVegasFrank Posts: 16,730 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think what we would like to know is whether or not it is American cedar. It's red in color like American cedar, definitely does not look like Spanish cedar. Doesn't have typical grain patterns of a mahogany relative.

I think everyone wants to know whether or not you used American cedar and with the particulars are on making that choice.

Don't look ↑
  • Options

Oh, and if it is some sort of Spanish cedar and you stained it, what sort of process you use for that because it looks very nice.

Don't look ↑
  • Options
    VisionVision Posts: 7,796 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2022

Answered

• Options

Gotcha, I used Eastern Red Cedar. Spanish cedar was ungodly expensive for the amount I needed. Hell, red cedar isn't cheap either, but it was affordable in my case and it looks and smells amazing. I bought my cedar from a company called Cedar Safe. Website: www.cedarsafe.com. The shelves themselves are also cedar, I bought the boards at Home Depot, and ripped them to the size I needed via my table saw. The brackets are just your standard brackets you get for common shelving. Hope this helps!

"Long ashes my friends."

• Options
    PatrickbrickPatrickbrick Posts: 7,744 ✭✭✭✭✭

@peter4jc
    "The fragrant, finely grained, soft, brittle, very light, pinkish to brownish red heartwood is very durable, even in contact with soil. Because of its resistance to decay, fence posts are fashioned from the wood. Moths avoid the aromatic wood, and therefore it is in demand as lining for clothes chests and closets, which are often denominated "cedar closets" and "cedar chests". If correctly prepared, excellent English longbows, flatbows, and Native American sinew-backed bows can be made from it. It is marketed as "eastern redcedar" and "aromatic cedar". The best portions of the heartwood are one of the few woods that are suitable for making pencils, however the supply had so diminished by the 1940s that the wood of the incense-cedar largely replaced it.[10]"

"We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give".  Winston Churchill.
    MOW badge received.
  • Options
    edited January 2022

There's a lot of vague and nebulous information, but I found this link that sorts it out pretty well. It looks like Eastern red cedar is the kind that is in your grandma's chest (that's what she said)

https://frankshatzcompany.com/2018/09/19/which-cedar-is-right-for-you/

Don't look ↑
  • Options

nice link, I would have loved to be able to use spainish cedar for the walls, but it was $$$ (probably because its imported) but the red cedar looks and smells amazing. And has all the benefits of the spainish cedar.

"Long ashes my friends."

• Options
    VisionVision Posts: 7,796 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    ShawnOLShawnOL Posts: 8,425 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just seal it all with water-based polyurethane. That should cut down on a lot of the smell.

Trapped in the People's Communits Republic of Massachusetts.

• Options

@Patrickbrick said:

@Vision said:
    @Krieg I'll be that guy..... Red Cedar is going to fvck up your collection. It's going to introduce a repugnant overly woody bitter flavor that absolutely will develop over time. With something that large I'm assuming it's going to be long term storage. I'll also assume no one here would recommend you put your cigars in that humidor. The investment in Spanish Cedar could potentially save you 10s of thousands in lost cigars. I hope I didn't come across as an ahole not my intention. I also think some would agree to change to Spanish Cedar.

Thanks for taking one for the team and saying what we were all thinking.

not at all, thanks for letting me know. Wonder if there is anyway to fix it, id hate to have to start over. :(

"Long ashes my friends."

• Options

@ShawnOL said:
    Just seal it all with water-based polyurethane. That should cut down on a lot of the smell.

will the polyurethane cause smell issues ?

"Long ashes my friends."