Home General Discussion
Options

Whatcha smokin tonight?

Comments

• Options
    DiasFlakDiasFlak Posts: 342 ✭✭
    last night i had a romeo y julieta 1875 its a good cigar i was very happy with it
  • Options
    pilot711pilot711 Posts: 176
    Very mellow night. Just a 5 Vegas Gold Churchill and a nice glass of scotch.
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    5 vegas gold is a good smoke. it seems like the cigar would get overpowered by the scotch. ...or was this the intended result?

even I want a background cigar sometimes...
  • Options
    DiasFlakDiasFlak Posts: 342 ✭✭
    tonight i had a java maduro mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm maduro and java mixed one tasty cigar my mouth is watering again i might have to smoke another
  • Options
    ScionScion Posts: 20
    tonight was amazing... i haven't had the chance to smoke for the past four days due to surgery. and tonight was the night ive been looking forward to all week... i was questioning all week what i was going to smoke and sure enough when it came time it choose i wanted nothing more than a simple Nat Sherman. I stepped outside my front door and i couldn't even wait to get to my smoking spot down the street. i fired up the lighter and the Sherman didn't disappoint. it lit right away. i took in a long drag and let the smoke drift out between my two lips. the cedar smoke filled the air to complement the sweet taste. it felt like seeing a old time friend too long apart. i took a walk around, although getting a bit excited and smoking it a bit to fast lasting only around 35mins the cigar was worth the 4 day wait. theres my story...
  • Options
    LukoLuko Posts: 2,003 ✭✭
    Been away for a week at the beach and had a bunch of great smokes, two of my favorite being a Cusano 10th anniversary from COTM and an Onyx reserve compliments of Duty. Also had another RP edge, quickly becoming one of my favorites.
  • Options
    sdipsdip Posts: 406
    Yesterday was an Indian Tabac Super Fuerte. Real tasty smoke for the price. Last night was a RP Vintage 92 torpedo. Excellent as always.
  • Options
    Smoke=FireSmoke=Fire Posts: 692 ✭✭✭
    Last night was an Oliva Special S. You were right Urbi, a damn fine smoke :D I don't think Oliva makes a bad cigar in any of their lines.
  • Options
    urbinourbino Posts: 4,517
    Glad you liked it, Smoke. I still have my doubts about the Serie V, but I'll try one of the lanceros Joe sent me, soon; maybe I'll have a better experience.

Speaking of lanceros, I had another RP Double Maduro lancero last night. Very good, as usual.
  • Options
    SacNickSacNick Posts: 77
    Gurkha Legend (again).
    This is my new favorite cigar.

I hope I am not taking up too much bandwidth as this is my first review.
    I usually try and take my time with cigars. I like to get a glass of Cogniac or a Newcastle beer with my smoke-time and watch the smoke rise away and disappear along with my worries.
    This was a long smoke. Each one of these have been over 90 minutes. If I recall correctly, these are 6 x 48.

I understand this is a Dominican long-leaf filler with a Cameroon binder leaf, then a Connecticut Broadleaf maduro wrapper.

Burn - 8.5

This burned even, I did relight it twice. I think my relights have more to do with my smoking habits and/or my humidor than the cigars.
    Consistency - 8

Eh- what do I know about consistency.
    Draw - 8.5

Easy - I usually use a double-guillotine to cut. I am tending to use a "V" cutter though.
    Appearance - 8.5

It looked nice, no major veins and the wrapping to the cap look fine.
    Taste - 9

This was a nice smooth and creamy starting cigar and in the middle it became earthy and spicy. I don't like peppery and this one doesn't get peppery until the last two inches.
    Construction - 8

Eh - what do I know about construction?
    Smoke - meidum - thick -

This is almost the perfect smoke for a cigar. It may be a little on the heavy side for indoors.

I cut the cap and take in the draw before I light. This cigar has all the indications of a medium to full cigar, but not when I light it. The draw is very easy and enticing.
    This starts out as a smooth mild cigar full of easy smoking flavors. Since, I am relatively new to cigars, I am not sure how earth would taste, but I presume this would be it. This is a consistent almost creamy smoke turning medium spicy, but not peppery after the first 3/4 - 1" (15 minutes). The next 20 minutes are great. I think I had to tap the ashe off this only four times. As each time it would keep a 3/4" ash and it wouldn't tap off.

It doesn't get overpowering or peppery as some stronger cigars (Cusano or the Vegas "A") tend to do as they get closer to the end. It sure does take some time just to get to the last two or three inches (60 minutes or so). With about 2 inches left (90 minutes), I start to get the peppery tingles on the tongue and for me, this is when my smoke is over.

This cigar has not disappointed yet. I have 6 of these left along with 4 Centurians. Everytime I look for a smoke, I want the Legend, but I have a few others to try.

Have FUN!

• Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    SacNick:
    ... I am not sure how earth would taste...
    go in your back yard and dig down about a foot. get some of the dirt near the bottom of the hole and break it up in your hand. Smell it.

thats earth. if you ate it, thats probably how it would taste.

i dont reccomend that though.
  • Options
    SacNickSacNick Posts: 77
    Heh - I don't think I could smoke that either. lol heck, in my backyard, I can't even dig down a foot, I hit a lot of rocks and clay.
  • Options
    I'm going for 3 today. Had a Griffin's a bit earlier. It was okay. Construction was great, but not just loads of flavor.

Now I'm headed back out to have . . . something else.
  • Options
    And it was . . . the Fuente Don Carlos (No.3). I had one of these years ago, and wasn't impressed. I guess my palate has changed, because this one was terrific. Slightly tight draw, tons of smoke, and a rich flavor. It was spicy and dark with a clean finish, and for the first time I detected the "barnyard" you guys talk about.

I'd give it a 9.1. The Griffin's was about an 8.5.
  • Options
    j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    Sounds nice urby, I attempted a DC #4 myself earlier, but was met with failure as the stick was too far on the over humidified side and quickly became impossible to smoke. Ah well, live and learn and sacrifice a few good cigars in the process.
  • Options
    That's a shame, Joe. Do you have more on hand?
  • Options
    zoom6zoomzoom6zoom Posts: 1,214
    Flor de Oliva. Beautiful night to sit out and enjoy. One more week until vacation!
  • Options
    urbino:
    Yes, I do. I'm not touching them for a good while though to make sure they balance out properly so I don't ruin another.
  • Options
    Oh, and maybe I'll post what I was smoking today so I'm not completely off topic here.

This evening I had a La Gloria Cubana R maduro robusto which I liked, it was a nice slow burner that never got hot or harsh. Tonight was a Flor de Allones toro, which was so-so, don't think I'd seek this one out, but I wouldn't refuse a freebie.
  • Options
    j0z3r:
    urbino:
    Yes, I do. I'm not touching them for a good while though to make sure they balance out properly so I don't ruin another.
    Cool. Mine have only been in my humi for a couple of weeks and, obviously, seem to be alright.

I finished the night with an RP Sungrown. After clipping this one, I noticed the draw was quite tight. I thought that might actually be a good thing, though, because it was very breezy out. As it turned out, however, it was just too tight to really enjoy; too difficult to get enough smoke out of to really taste. Oh, well.
  • Options
    urbino:
    j0z3r:
    urbino:
    Cool. Mine have only been in my humi for a couple of weeks and, obviously, seem to be alright.
    Are your's loose? If so, that is probably the difference, as I bought a box and I'm sure that slows down the de-humidification process substantially.
  • Options
    ScramblerScrambler Posts: 746 ✭✭
    I didn't get out of work until about 1am, so I just grabbed an Oliva Special G to enjoy while I wind down from a busy night. These have pretty much become my go-to. I have 3 left, thinking about ordering a box.
  • Options
    sdipsdip Posts: 406
    Yesterday was a Perdomo ESV 91 Connecticut. This was a fantastic cigar, liking the Perdomo line more and more. Will always want this one in the humi.
  • Options
    j0z3r:
    Are your's loose? If so, that is probably the difference, as I bought a box and I'm sure that slows down the de-humidification process substantially.
    Yes, they'll sleep with anybody. Har har. But yes, they are loose. I bought a fiver, so no box-storage issues for me. Also, I keep my humi at about 66%, so that may be a factor, too.
  • Options
    HEE HEE HAR HAR. You funny guy. My coolerdor hovers around 65%, but I've noticed that boxed cigars just don't dehumidify as quickly as loosies, which is probably a good thing since a gradual dehumidification is probably better for the cigar than a rapid one
  • Options
    Makes sense to me.
  • Options
    ScramblerScrambler Posts: 746 ✭✭
    I'm currently enjoying an Arturo Fuente Anejo #46 with a glass of Cabernet. Wow, this is pure tobacco bliss. The cigar has a perfect draw with a flawless burn. The wine is well balanced, a little tart, no alcohol taste. Hell, with the Springfield 1911 on my hip I'm in ATF heaven.
  • Options
    Great. Another premium cigar I want to try. Thanks, Scram.

I'm fissin' to go out and smoke this Zino Platinum Scepter perfecto. Will report back in a few.
  • Options
    vankleekkwvankleekkw Posts: 404
    Well after drooling over Scrambler's post, i am a little reluctant on mine.

Had a C.Com Cuban Label

Yesterday I had a 5 Vegas Miami Knuckle and CAO Brazilia Lambada at a herf in Nashville
  • Options
    How is the knuckle van?