Home Non Cigar Related
Options

Coffee

Comments

• Options
    YaksterYakster Posts: 26,332 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've been wondering how espresso tastes over ricotta cheese.

Join us on Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • Options
    StubbleStubble Posts: 8,313 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Yakster said:
    I tried to make an affogato with espresso and plain Greek yogurt instead of vanilla ice cream, a yaffogato if you will. I won't make that mistake again.

Did you try/taste it?

Hey, you gonna eat the rest of that corndog?
  • Options
    edited June 2022

I finished the espresso but not the yogurt. The sour of plain Greek yogurt was just not a good match for the dark espresso shot. I think ricotta may not be bad.

• Options

Had my daughter pick up some mascarpone cheese on Father's Day for me to try next.

• Options
    edited June 2022

I bought a Cuisinart SS-5P1 single serve coffee maker for my Mom, she's the only one that drinks coffee at her house. I tried with the HomeBarista metal mesh filters but that let a lot of silt into the cup so I'm trying with disposable paper filters for K-Carafe. I'm noticing that the coffee is not as strong and fully extracted as I'm used to but I think my Wife likes it better. She also likes Americanos which taste similar. I think it's going to work out for my Mom, the Wife wants to clear it off our counter and feels like I'm taking over the kitchen.

I'm on my fourth cup of coffee today. Two from the pot this morning and then two from the single serve machine. This old green, very past crop, Bali Blue Moon Organic tastes pretty good actually.

ETA: I still get small traces of silt with the paper filters.

Post edited by Yakster on
  • Options
    IndustMechIndustMech Posts: 4,733 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Yakster said:
    I bought a Cuisinart SS-5P1 single serve coffee maker for my Mom, she's the only one that drinks coffee at her house. I tried with the HomeBarista metal mesh filters but that let a lot of silt into the cup so I'm trying with disposable paper filters for K-Carafe. I'm noticing that the coffee is not as strong and fully extracted as I'm used to but I think my Wife likes it better. She also likes Americanos which taste similar. I think it's going to work out for my Mom, the Wife wants to clear it off our counter and feels like I'm taking over the kitchen.

I'm on my fourth cup of coffee today. Two from the pot this morning and then two from the single serve machine. This old green, very past crop, Bali Blue Moon Organic tastes pretty good actually.

ETA: I still get small traces of silt with the paper filters.

If you don't like the silt, spread the ground coffee on a paper towel, then gently pour into the filter. The smallest particles will stick to the paper towel.

I know, You're a big dog and I'm on the list.
    Let's eat, GrandMa.  /  Let's eat GrandMa.  --  Punctuation saves lives

It'll be fine once the swelling goes down.

• Options
  • Options
    peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,717 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nate Bargatze is my favorite comedian recently.

"I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
  • Options

Tried to make an affogato with Mascarpone cheese, it wasn't terrible but it was like drinking espresso on cream cheese, not what I was going for. I didn't know it was basically just cream cheese. Guess next time I'll use vanilla ice cream like normal people do.

• Options
    silvermousesilvermouse Posts: 19,654 ✭✭✭✭✭

Roasted some coffee despite low voltage, everyone is running ac and having house guests on my street. Probably will be baked-tasting but there will be coffee and I will drink it likely will pair well with a cheap cigar. Living the summer life.

• Options
    edited July 2022

You could use a Variac to boost the voltage and compensate for the droop. That's what I do.

Oh, and I was thinking that making a hollow ball of Mascarpone dipped in chocolate and then pulling a shot of espresso into the ball might be interesting.

Oh, and before I got my Variac for my Behmor, which I now use on my Bullet, I called myself the Midnight Roaster because the grid load drops and the voltage comes up around midnight, plus it's cool enough to comfortably roast during the summer then.

• Options

You mentioned it several years ago but I don't remember if you have a Chinese $100 version or something else.

• Options

No, I bought a PowerStat Variac component of eBay a while ago and built my own enclosure for it instead of getting a Chinese unit.

• Options
    Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,225 ✭✭✭✭✭

Bought another secondhand Fresh Roast SR500 for $5 bucks on Facebook marketplace. Cost more than $5 in gas to go get it. But the weird part is that it can’t cycle from low to no heat while underway. I usually do that with my other sr500 to slow the process. Went ahead anyway and it heated up very fast and unintentionally went through second crack before I could end the roast. The beans were smoking heavily. Tried it soon after. Tastes charred. I’ll give it a few days but I doubt it will help enough to make it palatable.

• Options

Paper-Filtered Coffee and Cholesterol
    Written By Michael Greger M

https://nutritionfacts.org/2022/09/20/paper-filtered-coffee-and-cholesterol/

• Options

I enjoyed the pot of Costa Rica Tarrazu Cafetales de Dota I made this morning, but the Ethiopia Yirga Cheffe Chelchele I brewed up as a single cup pour-over really shined. I think I'll want to re-calibrate the grinder's zero point to grind coarser but otherwise I'm really liking the coffee from the Vario with the steel burrs.

• Options

• Options
    Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,225 ✭✭✭✭✭

• Options

Some Ethiopia Yirga Cheffe espresso for an afternoon boost.

• Options
    PatrickbrickPatrickbrick Posts: 7,795 ✭✭✭✭✭

What’s with the needle things?

"We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give".  Winston Churchill.
    MOW badge received.
  • Options
    edited October 2022

You move the coffee around in the basket and it's supposed to help the shot. For me, it's a lot of faffing around and not really necessary but for some people on the bleeding edge of light roasted coffee it does help. Some people do a lot of OCD rituals in their coffee prep and add paper filters above, below, in the middle of, or at all three locations of the coffee puck. :D

The needles in the Scotch cork are a WDT (Weiss Distribution Tool) and the needles in the plastic bar are a OE Leveling Rake. I don't have the whole kit shown below.

https://www.oehandgrinders.com/OE-Cafelat-Robot-Espresso-Prep-System--Complete_p_224.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dArHOXnxEEY