Home Non Cigar Related

Random Interesting Videos

Comments

• silvermousesilvermouse Posts: 20,393 ✭✭✭✭✭

Knowing if you’re awake seems simple. Why has it vexed philosophers for centuries?
    Knowing what separates wakeful reality from dream states seems rather simple on its surface. After all, even if a dream feels quite real in the moment, it’s unbound from continuity and the natural laws of our (presumed) waking lives. Yet proving that you’re awake, rather than just intuiting it, has been a perilous task for philosophers across the centuries. Beginning with the ancient Chinese philosopher Zhuang Zhou’s famed butterfly dream, this TED-Ed animation tackles how thinkers from Al-Ghazali in medieval Persia, to René Descartes and Thomas Hobbes in 17th-century France and England, to neuroscientists today have approached the question of whether we can ever truly know we’re awake.

https://aeon.co/videos/knowing-if-youre-awake-seems-simple-why-has-it-vexed-philosophers-for-centuries

• Hobbes86Hobbes86 Posts: 3,184 ✭✭✭✭✭

Does it really matter if we are or not?

"Iron sharpens iron, and one man sharpens another." - Proverbs 27:17

• webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭

@silvermouse said:
    Knowing if you’re awake seems simple. Why has it vexed philosophers for centuries?
    Knowing what separates wakeful reality from dream states seems rather simple on its surface. After all, even if a dream feels quite real in the moment, it’s unbound from continuity and the natural laws of our (presumed) waking lives. Yet proving that you’re awake, rather than just intuiting it, has been a perilous task for philosophers across the centuries. Beginning with the ancient Chinese philosopher Zhuang Zhou’s famed butterfly dream, this TED-Ed animation tackles how thinkers from Al-Ghazali in medieval Persia, to René Descartes and Thomas Hobbes in 17th-century France and England, to neuroscientists today have approached the question of whether we can ever truly know we’re awake.

https://aeon.co/videos/knowing-if-youre-awake-seems-simple-why-has-it-vexed-philosophers-for-centuries

Watched this with interest. But all I got out of it is that philosophers often obfuscate the obvious. They need to wake up and get over their iIrrational ratiocination.

“It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• silvermousesilvermouse Posts: 20,393 ✭✭✭✭✭

livin' the dream

“It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• ShawnOLShawnOL Posts: 9,203 ✭✭✭✭✭

That was **** hilarious, Ian.

Trapped in the People's Communist Republic of Massachusetts.

@ShawnOL said:
    That was **** hilarious, Ian.

It made me laugh a few times!

• JrflicksterJrflickster Posts: 4,008 ✭✭✭✭✭

It was silly but I think you might need a part time job bud...love you

• VegasFrankVegasFrank Posts: 17,710 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Disclaimer:  All trolling is provided for the sole entertainment purposes of the author only. Readers may find entertainment and hard core truths, but none are intended. Any resulting damaged feelings or arse chapping of the reader are the sole responsibility of the reader, to include, but not limited to: crying, anger, revenge pørn, and abandonment or deletion of ccom accounts. Offer void in Utah because Utah is terrible.

1 why didn't the suv stop right away?
    2 surprised the corvette wasn't damaged worse.
    Smh

• d_bladesd_blades Posts: 3,925 ✭✭✭✭✭

Would have been funny if the SUV would have backed up into him after stopping.

Don't let the wife know what you spend on guns, ammo or cigars.

• YaksterYakster Posts: 27,114 ✭✭✭✭✭

Privada Club dude

https://youtu.be/o8x49x8O2fQ

Join us on Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )

I apologize for the horrible video above. It's like a chain letter, someone showed it to me and it was bad so I showed it to you. Don't break the chain or all your Privada cigars will be plugged.

I didn't want to say anything, but yeah, it was bad. Didn't get halfway through it.

Green

• VegasFrankVegasFrank Posts: 17,710 ✭✭✭✭✭

Cool ^

And on a stupider scale:
    https://youtu.be/iHzzSao6ypE

Disclaimer:  All trolling is provided for the sole entertainment purposes of the author only. Readers may find entertainment and hard core truths, but none are intended. Any resulting damaged feelings or arse chapping of the reader are the sole responsibility of the reader, to include, but not limited to: crying, anger, revenge pørn, and abandonment or deletion of ccom accounts. Offer void in Utah because Utah is terrible.
  • CharlieHeisCharlieHeis Posts: 8,422 ✭✭✭✭✭

I actually saw a better video from a boat on fb but don't know how to share it so I found this on the twatter

• peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 16,184 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis

But did he put the lime in it?

Now I know what would happen if Pete and Peter took a road trip.