Whatcha smokin tonight?

Comments

• Options
    bbc020bbc020 Posts: 1,422
    phobicsquirrel:
    bbc020:
    madurofan:
    bbc020:
    I can vouch for maddy. he's good people, he treated my "father in law" to a couple od nice sticks. I had a DPG cuban classic that burned rather nicely and was a great pair after a cup of chili for lunch
    Heh, I guess he's not really your father-in-law. Girlfriends stepdad right?

that he is...but a cool cat none-the-less, not a cigar smoker, but willing to drag my rear down to Greenbrier to meet up with a guy I had only talked to on the net!
    Nice to have someone like that in your corner
    agreed...not to mention the countless rounds of golf he's treated me to
  • Options
    tshawtshaw Posts: 178
    gentlemen...i just tried to smoke a baccarat...the operative word being TRIED...it was my first cigar i ever had and sparked my interest in cigar smoking...when i tried another one today after so many positive experiences I was shocked by how AWFUL the baccarat was. I dont know if i got a poor stogie or what but it was terrible and I will say with absolute certainty that i will not buy another...ugh
  • Options
    Jetmech_63Jetmech_63 Posts: 3,451 ✭✭✭
    Just finished up my first Onyx Reserve. What a damn fine smoke. Definatley putting them in the normal rotation. And a great price to boot!
  • Options
    rwheelwrightrwheelwright Posts: 3,296
    tshaw:
    gentlemen...i just tried to smoke a baccarat...the operative word being TRIED...it was my first cigar i ever had and sparked my interest in cigar smoking...when i tried another one today after so many positive experiences I was shocked by how AWFUL the baccarat was. I dont know if i got a poor stogie or what but it was terrible and I will say with absolute certainty that i will not buy another...ugh
    When I started smoking oh soooo many years ago I had a baccarat. It tasted like dirt!
  • Options
    j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    Today was a Purple-urple Legends (Graycliff) that was plugged something fierce, a shame too as I haven't had one for some time now. Later on was a 601 Oscuro robusto, this one I liked a lot, the flavors were dark and heavy with a bit of lingering sweetness, I'd swear I tasted cherries on the finish.
  • Options
    gmill880gmill880 Posts: 5,947
    Java robusto-done for the nite
  • Options
    kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    j0z3r:
    Today was a Purple-urple Legends (Graycliff) that was plugged something fierce, a shame too as I haven't had one for some time now. Later on was a 601 Oscuro robusto, this one I liked a lot, the flavors were dark and heavy with a bit of lingering sweetness, I'd swear I tasted cherries on the finish.
    Hey Urbi!! Purple !! I still have one or two growing old, and j0z3r just made me want one.. mmmmmm purple. should this be in the whatch drinkin thread.
  • Options
    zoom6zoomzoom6zoom Posts: 1,214
    I haven't been posting in this thread for a bit, gotta get back in the habit... tonight I am relaxing with an ITC 10th Anniversary.
  • Options
    kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    Yesterday I had a Aurora Barrel Aged...Wow was this thing good. I smoked it on a long traffic delay home (three hours) and it was the only thing that kept me sane. I was in no hurry with this cigar. For an hour an a half I was at peace. Had to light a Bauza too for the other hour. Try a Barrel Aged, I believe they will please.
  • Options
    urbinourbino Posts: 4,517
    kaspera79:
    j0z3r:
    Hey Urbi!! Purple !! I still have one or two growing old, and j0z3r just made me want one.. mmmmmm purple. should this be in the whatch drinkin thread.
    All that's missing is sugar and water. (As for the cigars, I have half a box or so in the coolerdor.)

My last Monte White was tee-totally plugged, Joe. Three pokes with a paperclip settled its hash, though.
  • Options
    urbino:
    kaspera79:
    j0z3r:
    All that's missing is sugar and water. (As for the cigars, I have half a box or so in the coolerdor.)

My last Monte White was tee-totally plugged, Joe. Three pokes with a paperclip settled its hash, though.
    I ran a nail almost all the way through the purple power, and it barely improved the draw, though it was enough to get a decent mouthful of smoke. As good as they are, the Graycliff legends line is not, in my experience, a very well constructed cigar. I haven't had one yet that didn't either burn funny, not burn at all (in some spots), burn out or not draw worth a damn. Maybe I just have bad luck, I don't know.
  • Options
    urbinourbino Posts: 4,517
    No, I think that's fair. I haven't had many severe burn issues with them, but they rarely burn or draw dead-on, either.
  • Options
    Ok, so it's not just me...I thought the Graycliff gods were displeased with me. :)
  • Options
    bbc020bbc020 Posts: 1,422
    Today I attempted a nub stand with a Nub Conny, ultimately succeeded but couldn't get a pic of it. Finished the night with a Partagas Spanish Rosado. Pretty pleasant...not as much spice as I anticipated, but good nonetheless.
  • Options
    tshawtshaw Posts: 178
    best description i could give..thankfully i saved the night with my first oliva V and a nice dos equis amber to pair with it...great cigar and the beer actually went pretty well with it :)
  • Options
    Went to a christmas eve get together a bought along a few RP olde world maduros to pass and smoke, everyone was pleasantly pleased. Great cigar.
  • Options
    Had a Gurkha Master Select Torpedo followed up with a Oliva Serie V. Yummy. Next will be the Perdomo Lot 23!
  • Options
    Trying to decide -got about an hour before I can smoke-Maybe something rp or i've been eyeing the don carlos #2-even thought about a makers mark thats been resting about 4-5 months
  • Options
    PuroFreakPuroFreak Posts: 4,131 ✭✭
    I'm still trying to decide too, I've got a Sol Cubano Cuban Cab, Hoyo de Mont Excalibur, and an Oliva G... I also got a NICE sampler from my brother and his wife that has some nice Gurkhas, RPs, and things like that! Oh the choices...
  • Options
    Just smoked a RP Vintage 90 Segundo. What an awesome deal these are. I couldnt tell the difference at all!
  • Options
    laker1963laker1963 Posts: 5,046
    Just smoked a Gurkha Centurian Perfecto, my son had one also. They were OK but a little bit lacking as far as what we were looking forward to. They had been resting for about 5 months.

To make up for it we are planning on sacrificing a Cuban Montecristo #2 each for an after Christmas dinner smoke. Mmmmm, makes me smile :)
  • Options
    If I might make a suggestion Doug, if you try another Centurian really pay attention to the subtleties of the cigar and smoke it at a slow pace. I wasn't impressed with the first one I tried, then I sat down with one and really took my time and got to know the cigar, that was when I was really able to appreciate the subtle complexities the cigar has to offer. So far it is the best Gurkha I've had.
  • Options
    decided on a makers mark that had about 5 months on it-very smooth and excellent flavor
  • Options
    I just smoked a 1926 padron anniversary, for a while now a family member has been getting me to try it. not the typical smoke i'm used to but i must admit that i did enjoy the nutty flavor it gave off. any one else ever smoked one?

• Options
    That's a great smoke Hansmid, I like the 1964 Anniversary even more.
  • Options
    j0z3r,
    thanks, would you happen to know the difference in flavor between the 1964 and the 1926?
  • Options
    Well, it would be difficult for me to describe specific flavors, I just found the flavor of the 1964 to be more to my liking. Though both were excellent in my opinion.
  • Options
    laker1963laker1963 Posts: 5,046
    j0z3r:
    If I might make a suggestion Doug, if you try another Centurian really pay attention to the subtleties of the cigar and smoke it at a slow pace. I wasn't impressed with the first one I tried, then I sat down with one and really took my time and got to know the cigar, that was when I was really able to appreciate the subtle complexities the cigar has to offer. So far it is the best Gurkha I've had.

Thanks for that Joe. This was not the first one we have smoked. In fact that was the part that was a little disappointing... we put these cigars away for this purpose, based on how good the first one's that we had were. I am thinking it may be a RH% problem. I am finding my humi's swinging 5 - 7 % in a day lately with the heat being on more then usual due to the recent cold.
    I am moving my Humi's into my bedroom which is kept colder more consistently, and without the temp. swings it should be easier to keep a more stable RH. I hope this clears up the problem, because that was the ONLY Gurkha I have smoked and didn't find completely enjoyable. It was NOT terrible or even really bad, but just not what I uaually get from Gurkha's and these sticks in particular, based on that first experience with them, that time they ROCKED !
  • Options
    I see. Something from the original post made it seem to me as though it was the first you had tried. In that case, better luck next time.
  • Options
    TumblerTumbler Posts: 338 ✭✭
    phobicsquirrel:
    Tumbler:
    gmill880:
    smoked the padron 3000 at work-it was so cold I don't think I got the full effect-had to smoke faster than I would fike because 7 degrees and wind blowing -was good but i think better if i could concentrate on it and relax--too much going on at work shouldn't hace even lit it

I am sitting in a garage with 2 halide lights pointing at me - listening to Cale/Clapton and smoking a punch... It's 0 out right at the moment...

Nice to know I am not alone... :)
    Lol, I turned on the two portables in the garage and lit up a RP 1992 robusto (I guess its a RP day). The snow stopped for a while, though I did get to see a large pick-up truck get stuck on the street and it took 4 people to push it out of the snow but then after several feet got stuck again.

On a side note, anyone know why when I open my humi the RH goes down, but when it's closed it goes up to about 73? For the last few weeks I've had a steady 65-68 RH and now this... Any ideas?

I am back in front of the halides smoking a DP blue... Damn, he makes good cigars! Had a Padron 5000 earlier - good cigar day!

Pheebs are you still having trouble with the RH? That doesn't really make any sense. I do have about 5 digital hygrometers, all salt tested, and they all read a little different. One that doesn't want to adjust and one xikar that sets to 75 when you push the button. I just have the beads in most of my humidors - Guess I will just look for the obvious drop and then recharge. I had one that spiked high and I had to leave the humi open - that's when I went with the beads.