Home General Discussion
Options

THE NEWBIE WELCOMING THREAD

Comments

• Options

Hi There Im new here.  Im in the Dallas - Fort Worth area.

Here a bit about my past smoking experiance.

I started out on Black & mild Wine Cigarillos, smoking about an inch at a time.  I soon moved to pipe smoking, but after a couple failed attempts at trying to light my pipe, and end up lighting my nose, or other part, I gave that up fast.  When I was at the Reata Steak house in Fort Worth, I ordered a handfull of fine cigars of the menu, including a Pardon 1964, and a CAO mini pattie Moontrace.  Later that week I tryed the Moontrace and loved it, and the Pardon 1964 and found that one to be an alright smoke.

After this, I stopped at our local smoke store, which supprisingly has a small walkin closet size humidor, and bunch of weed smoking materials like glass bongs, but anways, I bought a Rocky Patel Vintage 1990 & 1992, a cuban reject, and some more CAO moontraces.

I actullay ended up smoking these on a geology trip down to that dam rock in Llano. I dont remember which vintage Rocky Patel I enjoyed more, but I do remember that one of them where a bit smoother, and for the price of a dollar a stick for the Cuban Rejects, they tasted pretty good too.

After smoking so much in a short period, I wouldnt smoke again for 3 or 4 months.  But I did once again, and this time I just went to a Cigar store in Lewisville and bought me a 15 count Humidor and some cigars, and a 1926 Pardon Torpedo.  A couple of weeks later I found a reasonable sounding ocasion to crank out such a premium cigar as the 1926 Pardon.  That is far the best smoke I have smoked so far, and of course it was the most expensive.  After smoking that fine cigar, I relized that I need to search the internet to see If I could fine cheaper cigars so I can try more.  I found this site, and CI.

Recently I have purchased a 10 piece Rocky Patel Gift Set from CI, and Cigar.com sampler of there house blend cigars.  I have also searched the web for humidors.  I was looking for ones that would hold at least 100 cigars, but after relizing I would be paying about a dollar per cigar the box would hold, I decided to build my own.

I wouldn't dare do such, but I am an experience wood worker, who has learned from an old pro, who is happy to help me with projects when I hit snags.  I am building a Cabinet insert for an exsisting cabinet.  The insert, when finish will apear to be original, except smoking cabinets of the 1930s would of had copper linings, which mine will be line with spanish cedar.  The humidor will easialy hold 5 boxes of 20, and should hold around 7 or 8, but the plan is to put them in special designed trays so the humidor can hold at least 200, and up to 300.  I have ordered the elements online, and expect to receive them soon.  I will condition it, and take it up to the cigar shop in lewisville and make sure I have enough element for the size.

When my humido is ready, I plan to order me a brick of 50 CAO moontraces, Rocky Patel Triple Fusion sample, a box of my favorite Rocky Patel and or the Historical collection of Rocky Patel, and a Drew Estate Sample.  I will also order and buy serval single cigars.

P.S.
    I have also smoked an Acid but by the time I was finished the earth were spinning, I could not walk and there where 2 of everyone.  The cigar tasted good, but when I made outside for some fresh air, and came back in, the cigar smell that was left over smelled like a big ol dog poo.

Walking Pine Tree

• Options
    urbinourbino Posts: 4,517
    Welcome, fluschesfoto. (We're gonna need to come up with a nickname for you.) There a few people around here interested in building their own humi, so I know they (and I) will be interested in your experience.

The Padron 1926 really is terrific. And spendy. Lots of Padron fans around here. Hard to go wrong with a Padron.
  • Options

Hi all.  I'm a married w/2 children 45 yo male living in the greater NY metro area.  I have been smoking cigars for the past 20 years (yes... I started before the cigar boom of 1994).

My preferance is for big gauge smokes 5" to 6.5" in length.  Torpedos are my favorite but all shapes will do.  Have smoked more than my fair share of Dom, Hon, Nic & Cubans and my preference is Nic & Cuba although my experience tells me that good smokes come from everywhere.

I smoke 1-2 cigars every weekend.  I would smoke everyday but I don't have the time.

I have a 175 cigar humidor from J&S Humidors I purchased back in 1993.  Currently there are 23 assorted Cuban cigars along with 2 Remedios Torpedoes.  Yesterday I purchased from J&R in Manahttan a 5 pack of the Mayorga Gordita Torpedo EMS.  Never had one but I had to try them based on the fact that they're big gauged Nicaraguan smokes.  I'm thinking of lighting it up tonight.

• Options
    Hello folks. I am a 29 yr old accountant living in Gamecock country - Columbia, SC. I started smoking cigars about a year ago and it's become an obsession for me. I've finally filled my 100 ct humidor and I'm going to invest in another in the near future. I absolutely love any/all smokes I've tried by LFD. I also have a few cuban cohibas that were gifted to me last year. They look and smell incredible. I'm thinking of smoking my first of those at the Masters this year (I can't wait - spring is almost here!). I'm glad to be joining what appears to be a very knowledgable and accomodating group. . . . I will be enjoying a big fat glass of gran marnier tonight while trying my first Gurkha cigar (Legend perfecto). I hope it's as good as it looks. Cheers!
  • Options
    dutyjedutyje Posts: 2,263
    Welcome aboard, fellas!

DB3, I'm in Charlotte, and I lived in Columbia for a couple years in the late 90's. Whereabouts in Columbia? I'll trade some cigars for some Maurice's! ;)
  • Options
    dutyje:
    Welcome aboard, fellas!

DB3, I'm in Charlotte, and I lived in Columbia for a couple years in the late 90's. Whereabouts in Columbia? I'll trade some cigars for some Maurice's! ;)
    I'm currently renting a place in Earlewood, down north main street. Mmmmm, been a while since I had Maurice's. You may have picked my lunch destination for me!
  • Options
    gmill880gmill880 Posts: 5,947
    Welcome aboard newbies
  • Options
    Welcome, maggi and db3.
  • Options
    madurofanmadurofan Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭
    Damn tons of new blood. Great to have all you guys on board.
  • Options

madurofan:
    Damn tons of new blood. Great to have all you guys on board.

somebody musta opened up the books again ......waddya goinna doo....

• Options
    I am new to the forum, but not to cigars. I have been smoking them for about 10 years or so now. Got started in college when my cousin handed me a cigar.  I love Hoyo, Partagas, Punch, Padron, and La Flor Dominicana. Pretty much any full bodied cigar.
  • Options
    kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    wow, welcome all 'ya all new guys. dubose, superman, maggi, and flusches.. It's nice to have some new opinions and experiences. Hey superman, I've been hooked on the La Flor Dominicana Cameroon Cabinet since this summer. Great stick. Not a big Punch fan, I had a rough experience early in my cigar experimenting and they put me off since that time.
  • Options
    Welcome, supe.
  • Options

Hi im James im 22 and i live in New Jersey. I got into cigars about 3 months ago and just about all my money has gone to cigars since.

• Options
    tedesco:

Hi im James im 22 and ... just about all my money has gone to cigars since.

welcome tedesco..We hear that alot around here
  • Options
    PuroFreakPuroFreak Posts: 4,131 ✭✭
    fluschesfoto:

Hi There Im new here.  Im in the Dallas - Fort Worth area.

Here a bit about my past smoking experiance.

I started out on Black & mild Wine Cigarillos, smoking about an inch at a time.  I soon moved to pipe smoking, but after a couple failed attempts at trying to light my pipe, and end up lighting my nose, or other part, I gave that up fast.  When I was at the Reata Steak house in Fort Worth, I ordered a handfull of fine cigars of the menu, including a Pardon 1964, and a CAO mini pattie Moontrace.  Later that week I tryed the Moontrace and loved it, and the Pardon 1964 and found that one to be an alright smoke.

After this, I stopped at our local smoke store, which supprisingly has a small walkin closet size humidor, and bunch of weed smoking materials like glass bongs, but anways, I bought a Rocky Patel Vintage 1990 & 1992, a cuban reject, and some more CAO moontraces.

I actullay ended up smoking these on a geology trip down to that dam rock in Llano. I dont remember which vintage Rocky Patel I enjoyed more, but I do remember that one of them where a bit smoother, and for the price of a dollar a stick for the Cuban Rejects, they tasted pretty good too.

After smoking so much in a short period, I wouldnt smoke again for 3 or 4 months.  But I did once again, and this time I just went to a Cigar store in Lewisville and bought me a 15 count Humidor and some cigars, and a 1926 Pardon Torpedo.  A couple of weeks later I found a reasonable sounding ocasion to crank out such a premium cigar as the 1926 Pardon.  That is far the best smoke I have smoked so far, and of course it was the most expensive.  After smoking that fine cigar, I relized that I need to search the internet to see If I could fine cheaper cigars so I can try more.  I found this site, and CI.

Recently I have purchased a 10 piece Rocky Patel Gift Set from CI, and Cigar.com sampler of there house blend cigars.  I have also searched the web for humidors.  I was looking for ones that would hold at least 100 cigars, but after relizing I would be paying about a dollar per cigar the box would hold, I decided to build my own.

I wouldn't dare do such, but I am an experience wood worker, who has learned from an old pro, who is happy to help me with projects when I hit snags.  I am building a Cabinet insert for an exsisting cabinet.  The insert, when finish will apear to be original, except smoking cabinets of the 1930s would of had copper linings, which mine will be line with spanish cedar.  The humidor will easialy hold 5 boxes of 20, and should hold around 7 or 8, but the plan is to put them in special designed trays so the humidor can hold at least 200, and up to 300.  I have ordered the elements online, and expect to receive them soon.  I will condition it, and take it up to the cigar shop in lewisville and make sure I have enough element for the size.

When my humido is ready, I plan to order me a brick of 50 CAO moontraces, Rocky Patel Triple Fusion sample, a box of my favorite Rocky Patel and or the Historical collection of Rocky Patel, and a Drew Estate Sample.  I will also order and buy serval single cigars.

P.S.
    I have also smoked an Acid but by the time I was finished the earth were spinning, I could not walk and there where 2 of everyone.  The cigar tasted good, but when I made outside for some fresh air, and came back in, the cigar smell that was left over smelled like a big ol dog poo.

Walking Pine Tree

Hey there, always good to see someone else from the Dallas area! I'm in the far north Dallas area myself. Good to have you aboard! Hope to see ya on here in the threads. There is a WEALTH of info from the guys on here!
  • Options
    LukoLuko Posts: 2,003 ✭✭
    Welcome noobs...
  • Options
    phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    Luko:
    Welcome noobs...
    so friendly... =) welcome peeps, nice to see some new blood around here, hopefully some of you will become addicts like some of us people around here ....
  • Options
    Just beware rodents bearing arms.
  • Options
    phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    urbino:
    Just beware rodents bearing arms.
    lol
  • Options
    Hello everybody. I'm new here and figured I would introduce myself. My name is John I am 21 years old from Tucson, Az and have been puffing cigars since the day i turned 18. Recently picked up on nasal snuff and pipes but always find my way back to the Stogies. Still new to the art form I'm looking forward to learning from you guys and look forward to future discussions
  • Options
    Welcome aboard Puff
  • Options
    brsmith21brsmith21 Posts: 207
    Hi all, I've been lurking for a bit, but have been a cigar smoker off and on for the past 12 years. Seems like a pretty relaxed and good natured forum. Just got my 2nd ccom shipment yesterday (Padilla 68 daily deal + checkout special) and have been impressed with the service and packaging. I don't know if I have anything useful to add to the discussions, but I'll throw in from time to time nonetheless. ;)
  • Options
    welcome bro
  • Options
    Hey new guys Puff and brsmith.. welcome to the group, nice to have you here.
  • Options
    brc81brc81 Posts: 249
    Hello everyone!  Long time lurker, but just recently started posting.  Been into cigars for a few years.  Have my small 50ct humi filled as well as my coolerdor which will comfortably hold a few hundred.  Favorites include La Aurora, 5 Vegas (all of them), Arturo Fuente, and some of the Rocky Patels.  One of my favorite "go-to" cigars is the cigar.com cameroon label. 
  • Options
    brc81:
    Hello everyone!  Long time lurker, but just recently started posting.  Been into cigars for a few years.  Have my small 50ct humi filled as well as my coolerdor which will comfortably hold a few hundred.  Favorites include La Aurora, 5 Vegas (all of them), Arturo Fuente, and some of the Rocky Patels.  One of my favorite "go-to" cigars is the cigar.com cameroon label. 
    Hey brc.. have you found any new favorites based on comments posted here by other members ? I am always picking up singles/5 packs based on suggestions made here.
  • Options
    welcome brc81
  • Options
    3 Stripes3 Stripes Posts: 25
    Hey guys nice forum.  Name is Andrew, I'm 28 from SW FL.  I have been smoking cigars for about a year and have just now started to learn more about them.  Started out smoking alot of RP's but have ventured on and started trying some different ones.  Purchased the Daily Deal Gurkhas today and can't wait to try them out.
  • Options
    bbc020bbc020 Posts: 1,422
    welcome stripes. This is a great place to learn, so keep postin.