Home Non Cigar Related
Options

Things I Hate

Comments

• Options
    stephen_hannibalstephen_hannibal Posts: 4,317
    That I'm still kinda sick from yesterday.

• Options
    ENFIDLENFIDL Posts: 5,836
    That the Daytona 500 is postponed until tomorrow!
  • Options
    kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    ENFIDL:
    That the Daytona 500 is postponed until tomorrow!
    Daytona 500 is about my favorite race to watch, and now I won't get the chance.
  • Options
    That gas prices have jumped almost ¢20 in 5 fraking days...

• Options
    The SniperThe Sniper Posts: 3,910
    stephen_hannibal:

Oh! I get it now! THERE'S that change I can believe in!!! :-) Knew it was around here somewhere...

• Options
    The Sniper:
    stephen_hannibal:

Oh! I get it now! THERE'S that change I can believe in!!! :-) Knew it was around here somewhere...

And how would you know about gas prices anyway - shouldnt you be baking brownies or cookies or something anyway? BACK IN THE KITCHEN MARTHA!!! :-D

• Options
    DirewolfDirewolf Posts: 3,493
    The Sniper:
    The Sniper:
    stephen_hannibal:

And how would you know about gas prices anyway - shouldnt you be baking brownies or cookies or something anyway? BACK IN THE KITCHEN MARTHA!!! :-D

OOh snap!
  • Options
    The Sniper:
    The Sniper:
    stephen_hannibal:

damn....
  • Options
    stephen_hannibal:
    The Sniper:
    The Sniper:
    stephen_hannibal:

damn....
    Referencing your post in the I love... thread this weekend - you da man Hannibal! ;-)

• Options
    Roberto99Roberto99 Posts: 1,077
    Meteorologists who predict a foot of snow in your area... less than 2 hours before the storm is supposed to hit... and be so totally wrong that there is no snowfall whatsoever.
  • Options
    DSWarmackDSWarmack Posts: 1,426
    Roberto99:
    Meteorologists who predict a foot of snow in your area... less than 2 hours before the storm is supposed to hit... and be so totally wrong that there is no snowfall whatsoever.
    Meteorologist: One of two jobs where you only need to be right and do something productive for the community 10% of the time... POTUS currently appears to be the other one!
  • Options
    gmill880gmill880 Posts: 5,947
    DSWarmack:
    Roberto99:
    Meteorologist: One of two jobs where you only need to be right and do something productive for the community 10% of the time... POTUS currently appears to be the other one!

Close second is baseball where a hitter has to only be successful 30% of the time to be a superstar , get a multi-milion dollar contract and smoke Gurkha His Majestys Reserve's the rest of his life !!! Most jobs in the real world if you perform at a 30% level you won't make it past 90 days .
  • Options
    Ken_LightKen_Light Posts: 3,537 ✭✭✭
    gmill880:
    DSWarmack:
    Roberto99:

Close second is baseball where a hitter has to only be successful 30% of the time to be a superstar , get a multi-milion dollar contract and smoke Gurkha His Majestys Reserve's the rest of his life !!! Most jobs in the real world if you perform at a 30% level you won't make it past 90 days .
    I really hate when people say this. First, there is no hitter than doesn't need to field near 100%, at least 95%+. Second, there are countless things a batter can do right besides get a hit, and these don't factor in to your "perform at a 30% level" such as walk, sacrifice, work the count to wear down a pitcher, report back to other players when patterns/tells are seen...the list goes on.

I'd estimate there are fewer than 100 people on the planet can hit .300 and field 95%+ in the majors and do all the other stuff that makes a professional baseball player. Can you think of another job with a)The kind of demand there is for baseball players and b) An applicant pool < 100 in the world? That's why they make that money.
    ^Troll: DO NOT FEED.
  • Options
    Ken Light:
    gmill880:
    DSWarmack:
    Roberto99:

I really hate when people say this. First, there is no hitter than doesn't need to field near 100%, at least 95%+. Second, there are countless things a batter can do right besides get a hit, and these don't factor in to your "perform at a 30% level" such as walk, sacrifice, work the count to wear down a pitcher, report back to other players when patterns/tells are seen...the list goes on.

I'd estimate there are fewer than 100 people on the planet can hit .300 and field 95%+ in the majors and do all the other stuff that makes a professional baseball player. Can you think of another job with a)The kind of demand there is for baseball players and b) An applicant pool
    They play a GAME. IMHO no sane human being should be able to look in a mirror and go "That's not worth $5 million a year... THATS WORTH $9 MILLION A YEAR!".

For playing a game?

Uh uh.

• Options
    Ken Light:
    gmill880:
    DSWarmack:
    Roberto99:

I'd estimate there are fewer than 100 people on the planet can hit .300 and field 95%+ in the majors and do all the other stuff that makes a professional baseball player. Can you think of another job with a)The kind of demand there is for baseball players and b) An applicant pool

Believe me I am a student of the game and I realize all those other things . However if you can hit between 300-340-350 OR hit 30 or more homers a year you dont have to be a great fielder at all .there is not a team in the majors gonna cut your *** . Look at Mark Reynolds of the Orioles as an example . Not a good percentage hitter - last year hit only 221 I believe on the year , but committed 26 or 28 errors mostly playing 3rd base . Struck out close to 200 times but still hit 36 or 37 homers on the year . Guess who's penciled in as the starting 3rd baseman for the O's this year? Thats right Mark Reynolds . He's young and his defense can inprove and his strikeouts can improve . I'm fully aware that batting avg or hr's alone are not the only things a player brings to the table , trust me , I know that . But what I'm saying is if I could hit .325-.350 in the majors or jack 40-45 homers a year , I'm on a major league roster come opening day regardless if I can't do another da_mn thing . At the very least I'm on an American League Team as a designated hitter ... even if I weighed 375 lbs and couldn't even bend over far enough to field a ground ball . Just sayin ...
  • Options
    Ken_LightKen_Light Posts: 3,537 ✭✭✭
    gmill880:
    Ken Light:
    gmill880:
    DSWarmack:
    Roberto99:

Believe me I am a student of the game and I realize all those other things . However if you can hit between 300-340-350 OR hit 30 or more homers a year you dont have to be a great fielder at all .there is not a team in the majors gonna cut your *** . Look at Mark Reynolds of the Orioles as an example . Not a good percentage hitter - last year hit only 221 I believe on the year , but committed 26 or 28 errors mostly playing 3rd base . Struck out close to 200 times but still hit 36 or 37 homers on the year . Guess who's penciled in as the starting 3rd baseman for the O's this year? Thats right Mark Reynolds . He's young and his defense can inprove and his strikeouts can improve . I'm fully aware that batting avg or hr's alone are not the only things a player brings to the table , trust me , I know that . But what I'm saying is if I could hit .325-.350 in the majors or jack 40-45 homers a year , I'm on a major league roster come opening day regardless if I can't do another da_mn thing . At the very least I'm on an American League Team as a designated hitter ... even if I weighed 375 lbs and couldn't even bend over far enough to field a ground ball . Just sayin ...
    Ok, I get you, but you're still in the top 100 on the planet at what you do. So yeah, you're going to get a job. It's a bad team that starts you as anything but DH, which should drastically reduce your ability to get a job over a guy who can put up those number AND field, but now we're talking the top 25 in the world. Saying "if I could hit .320-.350 in the majors or jack 40-45 homers a year" is like starting a sentence with "If I could fly..." not quite but close enough!

How about telemarketers? There's a job you can be "successful" at if you hit probably 5-10% of the time, maybe it's less than that, I don't know. Point is not all jobs are judged where perfect is 100% and playing baseball is one of them. Perfect in baseball is probably 40%.
    ^Troll: DO NOT FEED.
  • Options
    Ken Light:
    gmill880:
    Ken Light:
    gmill880:
    DSWarmack:
    Roberto99:

Ok, I get you, but you're still in the top 100 on the planet at what you do. So yeah, you're going to get a job. It's a bad team that starts you as anything but DH, which should drastically reduce your ability to get a job over a guy who can put up those number AND field, but now we're talking the top 25 in the world. Saying "if I could hit .320-.350 in the majors or jack 40-45 homers a year" is like starting a sentence with "If I could fly..." not quite but close enough!

How about telemarketers? There's a job you can be "successful" at if you hit probably 5-10% of the time, maybe it's less than that, I don't know. Point is not all jobs are judged where perfect is 100% and playing baseball is one of them. Perfect in baseball is probably 40%.

I think we're getting off track here . And the " if I could fly comment makes no sense at all as no one can but someone can hit for avg and field . My point is you dont have to be good at all of them . Look at all the light hitting shortstops ( Mark Belanger - google it ) who was on the field for defense only . Could field like a vacum cleaner but couldnt hit for squat . Same thing with some of the heavy hitters , lots power or a great eye but fielding is shoddy . I believe the original thread started about how close someone was to being correct/accurate/or close to 100% as I perceived it . I am not disagreeing with you about 30 - 40 % being perfect in baseball , anybody who grew up around it or knows anything at all about it understands it . Thats as close to perfect as you will get in BASEBALL . The point was comparing baseball to other occupations . The perfect baseball percentage will get most people fired in other occupations , regardless of how many players/people can do that job or not . Some but not all . There are only 32 Head Coaches in the NFL on the entire planet but if they win at a 30-40 % clip they wont be one of the elite 32 very long .

The comment I made about hitting 325-350 or jacking 40-45 homers a year and having a job has nothing to do with science fiction and flying , its a fact . Take a look at every major league teams roster this April and see how many of them there are . I didn't mean to get you bent out of shape with my comment - right or wrong its my opinion and I'm sticking with it . Long Ashes my friend . Gene
  • Options
    That the things I hate thread has turned into a baseball thread.
    FRAK THIS THREAD!

• Options
    stephen_hannibal:
    FRAK THIS THREAD!

No,no,noooo - we're not really talking about baseball it just seems like it . We're talking about perceptions and reality and ... He_ll never mind . Are you going to believe your lying eyes or me lol ???
  • Options
    gmill880:
    stephen_hannibal:
    FRAK THIS THREAD!

No,no,noooo - we're not really talking about baseball it just seems like it . We're talking about perceptions and reality and ... He_ll never mind . Are you going to believe your lying eyes or me lol ???
    Careful Hannibal - Geno's bustin out the Jedi mind tricks again!!! Now back to the King of Hate's favorite flavor... VITRIOL!!!!

I friggin HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAATE that my company is late on EVERYTHING having to do with our startup office!!!! Equipment purchases, vehicle registrations, expense checks, paychecks to our part time help, paying our bills to our creditors, opening lines of credit, computer purchases, vehicle purchases, you name it - if it has ANYTHING to do with running a successful business, we do it. LATE. EVERY SINGLE FRIGGIN TIME!!!! And its REALLY beginning to drive me up a friggin wall.

I swear to God, if I didnt have THE best office manager / boss in the world to mitigate this ****, I would have gone on a shooting spree by this point.

Better Stephen? :-D

• Options
    jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Sniper:
    gmill880:
    stephen_hannibal:
    FRAK THIS THREAD!

Careful Hannibal - Geno's bustin out the Jedi mind tricks again!!! Now back to the King of Hate's favorite flavor... VITRIOL!!!!

I friggin HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAATE that my company is late on EVERYTHING having to do with my our startup office!!!! Equipment purchases, vehicle registrations, expense checks, paychecks to our part time help, paying our bills to our creditors, opening lines of credit, computer purchases, vehicle purchases, you name it - if it has ANYTHING to do with running a successful business, we do it. LATE. EVERY SINGLE FRIGGIN TIME!!!! And its REALLY beginning to drive me up a friggin wall.

I swear to God, if I didnt have THE best office manager / boss in the world to mitigate this ****, I would have gone on a shooting spree by this point.

WELL!! Feeling a little cranky, are we?? Four fingers of a good sour mash and a worthwhile stogie will calm you right down. I heartily recommend it. :)
  • Options
    jlmarta:
    The Sniper:
    gmill880:
    stephen_hannibal:
    FRAK THIS THREAD!

I friggin HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAATE that my company is late on EVERYTHING having to do with my our startup office!!!! Equipment purchases, vehicle registrations, expense checks, paychecks to our part time help, paying our bills to our creditors, opening lines of credit, computer purchases, vehicle purchases, you name it - if it has ANYTHING to do with running a successful business, we do it. LATE. EVERY SINGLE FRIGGIN TIME!!!! And its REALLY beginning to drive me up a friggin wall.

WELL!! Feeling a little cranky, are we?? Four fingers of a good sour mash and a worthwhile stogie will calm you right down. I heartily recommend it. :)
    Thanks Dr Marty, I will fill that perscription soonest. :-D Yeah, Im just a scooch torqued up about this, but in my defense its been building up for about 8 months so I think I did pretty good holding onto it as long as I did.

Besides, we had to get hannibal's thread back on track. LOL

• Options
    DirewolfDirewolf Posts: 3,493
    That my company decided to close down a distribution warehouse and move everything to mine. Now besides the stuff we manufacture, I get to ship what two plants in France put out. But fun stuff is none of their labels are compliant with my system. MSDS's and CoA's having to come out of three separate databases. Over a hundred and something new line items added with more to come.. Yipppee.
  • Options
    The Sniper:
    jlmarta:
    The Sniper:
    gmill880:
    stephen_hannibal:
    FRAK THIS THREAD!

Thanks Dr Marty, I will fill that perscription soonest. :-D Yeah, Im just a scooch torqued up about this, but in my defense its been building up for about 8 months so I think I did pretty good holding onto it as long as I did.

Besides, we had to get hannibal's thread back on track. LOL

Hate that everythings so crazy right now for you Sniper , glad you got that office mgr to run interference for ya . Uh hum , Dr Marty , will you write me a prescription for sourmash/stogie as well ?

Steven, the thread is officially back on line bro ... hatin it up just for you buddy cause thats the way we roll !!!
  • Options
    Freakin high winds here ... make it impossible to enjoy anything outside today !
  • Options
    taythegibstaythegibs Posts: 2,025
    stray cats...i kinda feel bad that i just tried to punch one, but it was attacking my cat. (who funnily enough was a stray that adopted us about 7 years ago)
  • Options
    Gray4linesGray4lines Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    taythegibs:
    stray cats...i kinda feel bad that i just tried to punch one, but it was attacking my cat. (who funnily enough was a stray that adopted us about 7 years ago)
    I hate guys who punch cats... haha, that's pretty ridiculous though
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • Options
    That I haven't actually hated anything in awhile.

• Options
    taythegibstaythegibs Posts: 2,025
    Gray4lines:
    taythegibs:
    i missed the thing, but it still made me mad. i need to catch some of these strays here.....
  • Options
    taythegibs:
    Gray4lines:
    taythegibs:
    i missed the thing, but it still made me mad. i need to catch some of these strays here.....
    Catch em with a .22 - less running that way. :-)