Home Non Cigar Related

What does everybody do for a living?

What do you all do to support your cigar smoking extra curricular activities. I work at an office cubicle installing company right now. And, I'm going to school to become a registered nurse. Then I can afford to smoke the really good stogies. Yeeeaaah!

Comments

• pilot711pilot711 Posts: 176
    I'm a Captain at Continental Airlines. I loved flying since I was a little kid.
  • rmccloudrmccloud Posts: 160 ✭✭
    I am a programmer/analyst for a manufacturing company.
  • j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    I'm a state certified Electrician. Currently working ground-up commercial construction.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    i manage the local Applebee's. Its not the most glorious job but i enjoy it. It is what it is and it pays the bill (nicely i might add). someday ill open my own place but im only 27 and i lack the fundage as of yet.
    pilot711:
    i never woulda guessed by your user name...
  • j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    kuzi16:
    pilot711:
    LOL, I just thought he was a 7-11 clerk...I went with the other part of the name. :D
  • urbinourbino Posts: 4,517
    Another software guy, here.
    j0z3r:
    kuzi16:
    pilot711:
    LOL, I just thought he was a 7-11 clerk...I went with the other part of the name. :D
    even better.
  • mikalsanmikalsan Posts: 53
    You guys are hilarious. I, as many of you know am a Marine. This question reminded me of a conversation we all had the other day sitting around....... smoking cigars of all things to be doing..

We were talking about what we did (other than the obvious), and of course the obvious rhetoric of how we are over in Iraq to build a ...blah blah..... AND "give the Iraqi people the same liberties we enjoy"
    Talk about internal conflict. Ha ha... Whatever, the fighting is the fun part of our jobs.....
    mikalsan:
    You guys are hilarious. I, as many of you know am a Marine. This question reminded me of a conversation we all had the other day sitting around....... smoking cigars of all things to be doing..

We were talking about what we did (other than the obvious), and of course the obvious rhetoric of how we are over in Iraq to build a ...blah blah..... AND "give the Iraqi people the same liberties we enjoy"
    Talk about internal conflict. Ha ha... Whatever, the fighting is the fun part of our jobs.....
    Um, sorry, I am sure you are all confused by my last post. Part of it is missing. The quotations represent the important part of our convo. To be more precise, we talked about "What liberties we fight for that we dont agree with."

That was the internal conflict. We fight for liberties (even though we dont agree with some of them).
    pilot711:
    Sweet! When are airline ticket prices going to come back down? I was looking for a flight for leave when we get home, and the old $480 RT ticket from HNL to IAD is now $1200.
  • pilot711pilot711 Posts: 176
    mikalsan:
    pilot711:
    Sweet! When are airline ticket prices going to come back down? I was looking for a flight for leave when we get home, and the old $480 RT ticket from HNL to IAD is now $1200.
    I think they will go up more before they go down. It all depends on what the price of oil does. I know people are upset by ticket prices and all the nickle and dimeing going on but the airlines can't make money with the cost of fuel. The whole industry is in trouble. Anyway I think it will be a while. By the way, thanks for doing what you do. We are all proud of you guys! Be careful and kick a#$!!
  • MarkbbMarkbb Posts: 196
    Well I'm retired and live on some investments I made when I was younger (how did that happen?) been in the military seems like all my life since I was a military brat also and joined when I was 18......but I'm happy with the choices I've made!
  • madurofanmadurofan Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭
    First off thanks Mikalsan and Mark, for doing what you do or did for our country. The fact that you don't necessarily agree with it but are still willing to risk your life for this country is true patriotism my friend. Thanks.
    I'm just another software guy. Software Consultant for a EAM consulting firm.
  • Big DeanBig Dean Posts: 120
    kuzi16:
    i manage the local Applebee's. Its not the most glorious job but i enjoy it. It is what it is and it pays the bill (nicely i might add). someday ill open my own place but im only 27 and i lack the fundage as of yet.
    Kuzi, that is amazing. I worked at the Applebee's in Strongsville for 6 years. I started as a dishwasher and moved to fry then mid then broiler and finally prep. I was also a trainer. It was a decent job for a while.
    Big Dean:
    kuzi16:
    Kuzi, that is amazing. I worked at the Applebee's in Strongsville for 6 years. I started as a dishwasher and moved to fry then mid then broiler and finally prep. I was also a trainer. It was a decent job for a while.
    nice. how long ago was that?
    You know Dean, I wasnt going to say anything, and let Kuzi have all the Applebees glory, but I worked at one for about 6 weeks once. I was a grill man, but didnt like the people I worked with (or food), so I went to LoneStar and ate steak everynight while putting myself through school....which i didnt finish untill after I enlisted in the Marine Corps. Ha ha.

Kuzi, when you open your own place, can I make your steaks, and operate your humidor?
    p.s., since you are all software and computer smart, maybe you can help me with my idea of getting the Herf Community off the ground. I had the personal page built: www.cigarherf.com/elgg

If you all can give me some pointers on what I might need to change to make it ready for opening. You can make accounts, just know you are registering on the beta version.
    kuzi16:
    Big Dean:
    kuzi16:
    nice. how long ago was that?
    from 2001 until 2007, or something like that. Somewhere in between I went to Colorado for a few months. Are you a GM, KM, or FOH manager?
    [You know Dean, I wasnt going to say anything, and let Kuzi have all the Applebees glory, but I worked at one for about 6 weeks once. I was a grill man, but didnt like the people I worked with (or food), so I went to LoneStar and ate steak everynight while putting myself through school....which i didnt finish untill after I enlisted in the Marine Corps. Ha ha.] I loved the people I worked with at Applebee's. That is the reason I stayed so long. The job was alright, downright hectic most of the time. I would never have stayed for so long if the people weren't so cool. Applebee's was definately the hardest job I've ever had. They wanted so much from me and didn't do much to thank me when the job was done. And I wasn't a bum. I was one of the best cooks at that Applebee's. I would say fry and mid were my specialities.
    mikalsan:
    You know Dean, I wasnt going to say anything, and let Kuzi have all the Applebees glory, but I worked at one for about 6 weeks once. I was a grill man, but didnt like the people I worked with (or food), so I went to LoneStar and ate steak everynight while putting myself through school....which i didnt finish untill after I enlisted in the Marine Corps. Ha ha.

Kuzi, when you open your own place, can I make your steaks, and operate your humidor?
    for up there.^
  • ScramblerScrambler Posts: 746 ✭✭
    For my day job, I'm employed by an elected official as their Legislative Aide. Issue research, community engagement, drafting legislation, that kind of stuff.

Nights I run the bar at a 4 star, 98 room "boutique" hotel. We actually just got the bar open this month for the first time since Katrina hit.

My primary occupation though is full time student. I was self employed as a political consultant/campaign manager for a few years, making damn good money until I decided to move across the country and go back to school to finish a couple of half complete degrees. Takes 2 jobs to come close to replacing what I was making before, but I decided I need to do this before I move out of my mid 20's.
    im actuallyt a key.... but, dont let that fool you. hourly management at my store is hard core. i should go to arlington soon and be a KM and/or FOH manager any minute.

dont tell my other managers but... many of the cooks and servers tell me that i am a better manager than some of the managers we have. I you have a problem at applebees ill solve it. I promise.
  • jihiggsjihiggs Posts: 469 ✭✭
    I work in IT, I sit in a cold room with no windows right next to the server room. I fix laptops for the field employees for philips. Not a bad gig really, I get to listen to music, work with a bunch of cool guys. We basicaly talk about movies and make fun of eachother all day, while fixing laptops of course. The only bad part about it is the boss and the boss' boss. They WAY underbid the contract and now we have to suffer with only half the staff we should have and they complain about the numbers and some ridiculous concept called "case management" hahahaha, and all this time I thought my job was to take care of users' problems rofl.
  • rdnstnrdnstn Posts: 993 ✭✭
    As many of you know, I'm a soldier too. A medic to be more specific and I'll be going to physician assistant school in a couple months. That way I can afford the expensive cigars after I retire. LOL
  • BFGarnerBFGarner Posts: 96
    Insurance My dad finally got a chance to buy an agency last year. It's me and him and that's it for now. So anyone in Ohio or Kentucky need any kind of insurance send me a message. Free Nub with purchase lol
    BFGarner:
    Insurance My dad finally got a chance to buy an agency last year. It's me and him and that's it for now. So anyone in Ohio or Kentucky need any kind of insurance send me a message. Free Nub with purchase lol
    my father-in-law does health life and disabilaty... im good in that department.
  • golfcigarjunkiegolfcigarjunkie Posts: 61
    Associate Principal of a high school.
  • Smoke=FireSmoke=Fire Posts: 692 ✭✭✭
    Foreman of a Fire Crew with the USFS. Been at it 20 years now, currently stationed up in MT. But before that, I too spent a stint in the USMC, so Semper Fi Mikalsan, and thank you to all the men and women who have the courage to step up and take a turn manning the walls.

And Mikalsan, if any smart *** ever pops off and tells you that the Marines are a department of the Navy, just smile and say "Yes we are; the Men's department" :D

And since I am now on the subject of Marines, I have a picture of Chesty Puller behind my monitor here even as I type, with one of my favorite quotes...

"Our country won't go on forever, if we stay as soft as we are now. There won't be any America - because some foreign soldiery will invade us and take our women and breed a hardier race."

Good night Chesty, wherever you are
  • madurofanmadurofan Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭
    Smoke, where have you been? Imagine its a busy time of year for you?? Hows that PVC protect a stick working for you?