Home General Discussion
Options

Whatcha smokin tonight?

Comments

• Options
    j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    I was a bit disheartened by your assessment of it, I just couldn't find it in me to fire one up. I'm gonna fish one out and put it in the top of my humidor and I might get to it in the next couple of days. I just know before I even smoke it that I'm probably going to be disappointed...but I'll keep an open mind.
  • Options
    phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    I enjoy them.
  • Options
    betasynnbetasynn Posts: 1,249
    I actually went out and smoked the Man o' War Joe sent me, and I was pretty happy with it. The after taste was/is actually amazingly pleasing, and I'm almost sad that I now need to slam my system with caffeine VIA pepsi. I hugged my girlfriend when I came in, and even though she was asleep she pulled me back for a kiss because it smelled good. It was a little bit more mild then I expected, as I had it on a moderately empty stomach with no drink to accompany it with, but the flavor was there, and definitely reminded me of the AF Signature series a bit, though I actually prefer the signatures a little more, since they sort of kick you awake. Thanks again, Joe. I'm going to probably roll with the Gurkha tomorrow.
  • Options
    Jetmech_63Jetmech_63 Posts: 3,451 ✭✭✭
    My one day off in 2 weeks! Wanted to make it count so i started with a RP 92 Petite Corona, very nice, had a nice yello-cello so not sure how long it's been sitting. Next a Bolivar, my old stand by favorite. Did some laundry and had mt last Padilla Miami, man i love these more and more every time i smoke them. Went to Reno for some Sushi and when i came back i lit up a Perdomo ESV Maduro Churhill. Started off kinda dry and cardboard-ish. Progressed to a nice flavor, no spice, pretty smooth. I liked it....but the jury is still out as to loving em. I have another i'll sit on for a few more weeks. After about 1 hr and 45 minutes i put it out and walked back to my room only to realize that thing kicked my ass! Very few cigars(and i've smoked a whooole bunch) have given me a swift kick in the nuts but that one snuck up on me. Thus ends the smoking until probably next weekend....cant wiat for this Det to be over!
  • Options
    alienmisprintalienmisprint Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭
    betasynn:
    I actually went out and smoked the Man o' War Joe sent me, and I was pretty happy with it. The after taste was/is actually amazingly pleasing, and I'm almost sad that I now need to slam my system with caffeine VIA pepsi. I hugged my girlfriend when I came in, and even though she was asleep she pulled me back for a kiss because it smelled good. It was a little bit more mild then I expected, as I had it on a moderately empty stomach with no drink to accompany it with, but the flavor was there, and definitely reminded me of the AF Signature series a bit, though I actually prefer the signatures a little more, since they sort of kick you awake. Thanks again, Joe. I'm going to probably roll with the Gurkha tomorrow.
    I need to give these another shot. I had twoof them, and me and a buddy went out and smoked em a few weeks ago. I was pretty drunk at the time, all I remembered was that I didn't like them. Then again, that could've been a fuzzy booze-induced memory.

Finished off today with a Gurkha Royal Brigade while playing Force Unleashed on my new DSi. Awesome smoke, fun game, but they don't go too well together, lol. Damn game requires too much interaction.
  • Options
    alienmisprint:
    betasynn:
    I need to give these another shot. I had twoof them, and me and a buddy went out and smoked em a few weeks ago. I was pretty drunk at the time, all I remembered was that I didn't like them. Then again, that could've been a fuzzy booze-induced memory.

Finished off today with a Gurkha Royal Brigade while playing Force Unleashed on my new DSi. Awesome smoke, fun game, but they don't go too well together, lol. Damn game requires too much interaction.
    playing games and cigars are tough to do, I'll give you that.
  • Options
    rwheelwrightrwheelwright Posts: 3,296
    gmill880:
    rwheelwright:
    I got in about 1/2 to 2/3rds today. Had a Titan. The wrapper immediately started to crack on me and it continued. The more I smoked, the more it cracked. The wrapper seemed really thin for some reason. I've had these for 6 months minimum. Probably closer to 9. Maybe because this humi is closer to 60 degrees instead of 65 - 70. This one has a hard time staying humid. I have a jar, a tube and a pillow or two and that is as good as I can get it. It's a small 30 count. Maybe I'll reseason it soon.

Boveda Packs Wheelie ....I just ordered some more today
    I put in one of those pucks that have the gell in it. THis has brought it up to around 67. I have a couple of the fuente humi packs that I got that were starting to get dry. I just put them in with my other one that is still liquid. I'm hoping that the one will rehydrate the other two since i have them in a tupperdor that is sealed with rubber.
  • Options
    dep691dep691 Posts: 311

I have been working alot lately and haven't had any real free time to smoke anything. But tonight I am off from work, no ball games, or any other function that the kids could have that  would take up my time. So tonight I am going to go and relax in the backyard with a Padron 9 natural and some dark beer, just have to stop and pick some up not sure what yet though.

• Options
    Just finished a Gurkha Shaggy. This one had a bit tighter draw than the others I have had, not too terrible, just a tad tighter than I really like it. Flavor and burn were still great though; good times, good times.
  • Options
    LukoLuko Posts: 2,003 ✭✭
    j0z3r:
    I was a bit disheartened by your assessment of it, I just couldn't find it in me to fire one up. I'm gonna fish one out and put it in the top of my humidor and I might get to it in the next couple of days. I just know before I even smoke it that I'm probably going to be disappointed...but I'll keep an open mind.
    Just remember, I said it was OK, but on the borning side to me. I like complexity a lot and didn't feel like there was much of any there...considering it's such a big stick, it just bored the bejesus out of me.
  • Options
    Matt MarvelMatt Marvel Posts: 930
    I just got a shipment in from ccom today. Padilla Obsidians and Rocky Patel Connecticut Churchills. I'm not sure which one I should smoke tonight. My plan is to sit back with a Shiner Bock and a cigar, and watch the Mavs-Spurs game. Any suggestions on which stick I should go for?
  • Options
    Matt, I'd suggest you don't smoke the Obsidian, they benefit tremendously from 5-6 weeks worth of rest...I suppose you could extrapolate from that a recommendation of smoking the RP.
  • Options
    Matt MarvelMatt Marvel Posts: 930
    j0z3r:
    Matt, I'd suggest you don't smoke the Obsidian, they benefit tremendously from 5-6 weeks worth of rest...I suppose you could extrapolate from that a recommendation of smoking the RP.
    Thanks for the advice. I've been looking forward to trying an Obsidian, so I certainly want the best experience with it.
  • Options
    betasynnbetasynn Posts: 1,249
    Had a two cigar day. I started off with a Camacho Triple M, torpedo which I LOVE, fantastic smoke, took me two hours and change. Great taste, draw, and composure. Then I had a Tempus, a littler one, probably a double corona? It was a much lighter smoke that had copious smoke and a great flavor.
  • Options
    gmill880gmill880 Posts: 5,947
    A cuban aristocrat perfecto today ...very toasty and slight almondy flavor ...very well done ...
  • Options
    I just finished up a Gurkha Beast. I nice 2 hour and 15 minute smoke. My only complaint is it takes a while for it to open up all the flavors to show up. After it did it was great. CK
  • Options
    kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    Today was a Arturo Fuentes Cuban Corona. This one was pretty good with a nutty, mildly sweet taste, a little cocoa and coffe taste, but not quite as good as I remember several others in the past.. Still, pleasant enough.
  • Options
    dep691dep691 Posts: 311

kaspera79:
    Today was a Arturo Fuentes Cuban Corona. This one was pretty good with a nutty, mildly sweet taste, a little cocoa and coffe taste, but not quite as good as I remember several others in the past.. Still, pleasant enough.

I haven't had one of those in long time. I finished up the Padron ended up nubbing it and paired it with some shiner. Going to take the dogs for the nightly walk, gonna grab AF sungrown.

• Options
    LukoLuko Posts: 2,003 ✭✭
    Matt Marvel:
    j0z3r:
    Thanks for the advice. I've been looking forward to trying an Obsidian, so I certainly want the best experience with it.
    I was going to say RP connecticut too...something about the Spurs says RP to me.
  • Options
    bbc020bbc020 Posts: 1,422
    I've had/having a couple new smokes to me. First this afternoon was the Camacho Pre-Embargo that Jozer sent me a couple weeks ago. This thing was great. Had a very smooth character for being a full flavored and what I consider med-ful bodied. I really enjoyed it. As I smoked it the finish kept getting longer and more enjoyable.

Now I'm in the middle of trying a Joya De Nicaragua Celebracion. Talk about full bodied. This thing was a spice bomb from the start. Not getting a ton of rich flavor but a great burn and still full bodied. I'm at about the half way point now.
  • Options
    bbc020:
    I've had/having a couple new smokes to me. First this afternoon was the Camacho Pre-Embargo that Jozer sent me a couple weeks ago. This thing was great. Had a very smooth character for being a full flavored and what I consider med-ful bodied. I really enjoyed it. As I smoked it the finish kept getting longer and more enjoyable.

Now I'm in the middle of trying a Joya De Nicaragua Celebracion. Talk about full bodied. This thing was a spice bomb from the start. Not getting a ton of rich flavor but a great burn and still full bodied. I'm at about the half way point now.
    Have you tried the Joya de Nicaragua Antaño? If you want full bodied, put down that Celebracion and pick up one of those puppies...just thinking about it makes my knees wobble. I smoked the robusto and almost fell over when I stood up, no exaggeration there, it was muy, muy powerful. Glad you liked the PE, it is my favorite Camacho and a damn fine cigar at that.
  • Options
    sdipsdip Posts: 406
    Had a CAO Gold robusto earlier today. Excellent mild smoke. Tonight was a La Caya Vintage robusto. First one of these and it was just ok. Flavor I couldn't place. Always seemed right on the verge of getting better, but never did.
  • Options
    bbc020bbc020 Posts: 1,422
    j0z3r:
    bbc020:

Have you tried the Joya de Nicaragua Antaño? If you want full bodied, put down that Celebracion and pick up one of those puppies...just thinking about it makes my knees wobble. I smoked the robusto and almost fell over when I stood up, no exaggeration there, it was muy, muy powerful. Glad you liked the PE, it is my favorite Camacho and a damn fine cigar at that.
    I now have an Antaño thanks to you. I'll have to try it one day when I have time for a nap afterwards!
  • Options
    Dang...I did send you some good cigars. lol. I think you'll enjoy it, the belicoso has a really balanced strength and flavor.
  • Options
    Had a CAO Italia again, this time draw was great and so was the cigar. Had a CAO maduro which was pretty good, then to top things off after a great dinner and white chocolate mint torte, a gurkha corniche! Great way to end the evening, but wait there's more, had a bit of port and 24 is on shortly.. Great day even put in some golf. ah, wish every day was like this.
  • Options
    I have an Italia resting in the humi, just got in the other day. It is hard waiting, but I wanted to give it a couple of weeks before I smoked it.

Just finished a Bolivar Cofradia as I started Killing Rommel. Nice relaxing smoke, and I love the flavors in it.
  • Options
    Today was a DPG Blue toro in the afternoon, stronger than I expected and a dang tasty cigar. For the night smoke I grabbed my last Padron 1964 Anniversary habano imperial...did I mention yet that this is the best cigar I've had? Well it is, something about this cigar defied description, but I'd be happy if it was the last cigar I could ever smoke.
  • Options
    Dude LoveDude Love Posts: 315
    Today- nothing. A fever came out of the blue and knocked me on my ass. I had planned on smoking my Punch Rare Corojo, but that'll have till Thursday when we hit some more warm weather.
  • Options
    rwheelwrightrwheelwright Posts: 3,296
    Smoked myself a Hemingway Work of Art at lunch. Not my favorite heningway but good. I prefer the Signature and Classic.
  • Options
    gmill880gmill880 Posts: 5,947
    First today-Xikar Defiance with about 4 months on it. Prelight was a woody-figgy taste, interesting. Draw was good. Was not sure at all what to expect as it was my first of these. Lit it up and right away good flavor, woodsy ,almost a touch of caramel nut flavor and peppery as well. Can't really explain everything I tasted in this cigar but it was a robusto and a good hour and 20 minute smoke and a flavor bomb right outta the gate. Would definitly smoke again and recommend.

Second smoke today a Fuente Crucet Habanera 78---A powerhouse...would highly recommend eating before smoking! A good earthy woodsy leafy flavor, light pepper thru nasal exhale but stronger as it went, I had to set this one down about 2/3 thru to take care of a customer and when I returned the window washers had soaked it !!! There they stand all big eyed and stupid looking - Them: Was that your cigar man ? Me - Why you know what , that was my damn cigar !!! Which one of you guys decided it needed a bath ? Them: Oh Oh Oh uhhh uhhh I'm not sure man it just got wet before we saw it and then fell on the ground....uhhh uuhhh. Me: Oh don't sweat it guys I'll just deduct 20.00 from the window washing bill to cover the cigar , my gas to get another one and the expense of my time to drive over a few streets to the B&M, not a problem. Them: Uhhh Uhhh UUhhh we'll have to check with our supervisor about that Oohhh UUhh Uhhh. Me: You do that while I have accounts payable deduct it. Ok . Them: UUhhhh UUHHH ...At this point my super calls me back inside because he can tell everyones getting a little agitated. I guess it really was my fault for leaving it on a outside window sill even if for a very short period of time. But still, you would think people could see ...damn ...