Home General Discussion
Options

Whatcha smokin tonight?

Comments

• Options
    Matt MarvelMatt Marvel Posts: 930
    I'm finishing up an Oliva Serie G Cameroon. This is my first Oliva, and I'm glad I finally bought one. This is a great little cigar. I can't wait to try the V I bought along with it.
  • Options
    j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    I had an Oliva Connecticut Reserve torpedo this afternoon. What a nice cigar, such a delightful flavor profile backed by what I thought was more a medium strength. Once again Oliva delivers the goods.
  • Options
    sdipsdip Posts: 406
    Started out w a 5 Vegas Gold robusto. Next up was an Indian Tabac Cameroon Legend. Finished the night w an Oliva O. All three were great smokes that were easy on the wallet. This was the first O I have had in some time and it was really, really tasty. The IT was also super.
  • Options
    bbc020bbc020 Posts: 1,422
    Started this afternoon with a Man O War Ruination, had to try it. 'Bold' is an understatement for this stick. This thing was a flavor bomb. Spicy from the gate and never really let up much. Great complexity, seem to have something new or get stronger with every puff. An awesome sweetness developed about an inch in. This came and went. I found that this stick is best smoked slowly. I really began enjoying it when I let it rest about 2-3 mins between puffs. I have to agree with Alex that this is a great cigar. I don't know about everyday, may overload the palate if I smoked it everyday, but an awesome smoke.

I'm finishing up the night with a San Cristobal Francisco. I think this is 5.5-6x44, not a size I see offered a lot in the San Cristobal. Great smoke so far. Some coffee and cocoa, nice cool burn.
  • Options
    TumblerTumbler Posts: 338 ✭✭
    Nice to hear it was a great stick! I think Alex really liked the robusto - what did you smoke? I am noticing the one day deal, but I think if I am patient I can do better but... :)

What can you compare it too? Is it pretty similar to the original MOW? Inquiring minds want to know..

I had the Padilla Miami today - great smoke! That and the '32 is just A marvelous way to spend an hour and half...
  • Options
    I had a MOW Ruination as well, the robusto #1. I was pleased with it from the flawless construction, the firm, easy draw all the way through the great flavor down to the nub. As much as I liked it, I get the feeling that a few months of rest would serve this even better. I'm looking forward to this one down the line.
  • Options
    hawaiianbasshawaiianbass Posts: 123
    I smoked a Maxx Vice Curved earlier in the afternoon and then I had a Sol Cubano Sumatra. Bith very good cigars.

CK
  • Options
    Tumbler:
    Nice to hear it was a great stick! I think Alex really liked the robusto - what did you smoke? I am noticing the one day deal, but I think if I am patient I can do better but... :)

What can you compare it too? Is it pretty similar to the original MOW? Inquiring minds want to know..

I had the Padilla Miami today - great smoke! That and the '32 is just A marvelous way to spend an hour and half...
    I had the #1...I would compare it to the original MOW, but seemed a bit more full flavored and a bit more fuller in body. As alex state...great balance. I'm with Jozer on this one though. I think it will do well with age.
  • Options
    phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    bbc020:
    Tumbler:

I had the #1...I would compare it to the original MOW, but seemed a bit more full flavored and a bit more fuller in body. As alex state...great balance. I'm with Jozer on this one though. I think it will do well with age.
    some of you jump on new smokes fast. I might have to pick up a 5er of them in the near future.
  • Options
    I just finished an Oliva Serie V. Man, what a great smoke. I am so glad I finally gave Oliva a whirl. I'll definitely be picking some more up.
  • Options
    phobicsquirrel:
    bbc020:
    Tumbler:

some of you jump on new smokes fast. I might have to pick up a 5er of them in the near future.
    couldn't pass up the email deal Tim flashed up last week. I'd hesitate paying 11 a pop for them, but 5 was a no brainer.
  • Options
    phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    must have missed that one.... argh! I had a padilla 1932, great aroma and draw but I wasn't really into the flavor.
  • Options
    phobicsquirrel:
    must have missed that one.... argh! I had a padilla 1932, great aroma and draw but I wasn't really into the flavor.
    Well if you are setting on a few you want to get rid of.....
  • Options
    bbc020:
    Tumbler:

That sounds like its up my alley... Probably should have pulled the trigger. I just have a few very crowded humidors.... Couldn't resist the one day deal on the Tats and the camocho PE. Then I saw a variety pack of 20 Padilla Miamis - and got those also... Didn't think I would... probably time to cease and resist

I am smoking a padron Aniv '64 tonight. My taste sure has been changing, but these are still really good... :)
  • Options
    Jetmech_63Jetmech_63 Posts: 3,451 ✭✭✭
    I got a 64 in the humi, what do you think? Might fire it up the night before i go to the boat!
  • Options
    sdipsdip Posts: 406

Started off w a Gran Habano #5 rothchild. Great smoke and full of flavor. Finished up w a La Vieja Habana Cameroon. Decent cheap smoke.

• Options
    Jetmech_63:
    I got a 64 in the humi, what do you think? Might fire it up the night before i go to the boat!
    I'd say that's a good send off smoke. One of my personal favorites.
  • Options
    alienmisprintalienmisprint Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭
    Having an all mild day so far. Started off this morning with a trusty go-to, a 5 Vegas Gold. I really think the robusto is my favorite size for these.

Next up was a Verdadero Organic. This was the first one of these I have had, and I was not dissapointed. You really can taste the natural sweetness in the best way. It really does pack alot of flavor into a mild stick. I will definately be keeping some of these on hand.

And now I am just hitting the sweet spot on a Gurkha Symphony. Not sure if I am gonna go for another one tonight, we'll see.
  • Options
    Joel_H.Joel_H. Posts: 101
    I went for something with a little power tonight, after the day i had i deserved it... Man o war double corona with a southern comfort and coke. This was the first one of these i have had and i will be sure to buy many more. Its defenetaly not a quick smoke i had an hour and a half in to it with about 2 inches left, could easily be a 2 hour smoke. I have noticed that im starting to prefer more medium to full cigars they just have so much more flavor and complexity.
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    Joel H.:
    I have noticed that im starting to prefer more medium to full cigars they just have so much more flavor and complexity.
    YES i agree on that.

I have a Hoyo de Tradicion just sittin in my humidor that i keep wanting to smoke but never seem to find the time. today i couldnt because i was fixing the lawn mower. tomorrow, i work. the day after.... i hope it doesnt rain.
  • Options
    gaberoxgaberox Posts: 824
    Had a few great smokes lately. Saturday had a Pepin blue label delicas kick ass cigar. Followed that with a RP 1990 churchill damn that was amazing. Going to have the 92 tomorrow have high hopes for that one.

Today was a 3 cigar day. Started of with the Guhrka G5 this was really damn good my favorite Guhrka so far. I love the ancient Warrior but hated the Warlord and the Ganghus Kahn. Had an Oliva G maduro after that always a good smoke especially for being under 4 bucks.

Just had the biggest dissapointment of a cigar Ive ever had in the RP edge maduro. This thing was totally flavorless. How could such a big dark beauty of a stick lack flavor in every way? Still nubbed it and it took me 2 hrs to smoke. I just kept waitiing for something to happen and bam nothing. This thing looks like its going to be a rich sweet maduro, what the hell?
  • Options
    Earlier today I had a CAO Brazilia and while I drove into work I had a Rocky Patel Connecticut. Both were very good cigars. The Brazilia was one of the few cigars that made me feel a little light headed when I stood up and the Connecticut was a just a nice and mild cream bomb.

CK
  • Options
    PuroFreakPuroFreak Posts: 4,131 ✭✭
    Well this was one LONG freaking weekend for me but now I'm back to work where I can relax. haha I was moving for the past 4 days so I've been busting my butt, although I was able to make time in the evenings for some great smokes! Friday night started with an Oliva Serie V dbl Toro! GREAT SMOKE AS ALWAYS! Can't wait to try this one in a smaller ring ga.
    The next day was a 3 smoke day for me starting with a Padron 1926 Maduro that I've had stashed away for about a year and WOW!!! This thing blew me away. One of the best smokes I've ever had period. After that was my last Xikar Defiance and it was awesome as always also. I capped off the night with my first La Aurora 1495 and this was also a damn good smoke. I was pretty excited that I went 3 for 3 for the night.
    Sunday I had my last Gurkha Royal Brigade I got in a trade from Duty. also a great smoke even though had a few burn issues. Great flavor and lots of it!!!

Speaking of old doody, anyone have any idea where he has vanished to? Did he run away to Mexico with his Burrow or what??
  • Options
    laker1963laker1963 Posts: 5,046
    Hey Puro, glad the move is over eh?
    I haven't had a chance to try the Xikar Defiance yet but your list did include two of my favorites... the 1926, and the Oliva Series V Double Toro.
    I haven't had the V in a different size yet, but I do love to sit down for a couple of hours with the Double Toro... just a great smoke. The Padron 1926's seem to be just about one of everyone's favorites, that cigar is just the "Cat's ass" it seems from most people who have tried it.
    What is the Defiance like? Is it worth a shot? Any size suggestions?
  • Options
    PuroFreakPuroFreak Posts: 4,131 ✭✭
    laker1963:
    Hey Puro, glad the move is over eh?
    I haven't had a chance to try the Xikar Defiance yet but your list did include two of my favorites... the 1926, and the Oliva Series V Double Toro.
    I haven't had the V in a different size yet, but I do love to sit down for a couple of hours with the Double Toro... just a great smoke. The Padron 1926's seem to be just about one of everyone's favorites, that cigar is just the "Cat's ass" it seems from most people who have tried it.
    What is the Defiance like? Is it worth a shot? Any size suggestions?
    Oh man you have to give the Defiance a shot! It really suprised me how good it was. I have only had it in the Torpedo but it was awesome. One of the best tasting cigars I've had. Probably the top new cigar for 2008. Damn sure in my personal top five!
  • Options
    gmill880gmill880 Posts: 5,947
    Yeah I wasn't expecting much from the Defiance but it was one of the best tasting cigars I have had
  • Options
    laker1963laker1963 Posts: 5,046
    OK so that's at least two for two. Puro and Gene both give this one a thumbs up, so I guess I better give them a shot. Maybe they will be offered at a one day deal... hint, hint, wink, wink. Thanks guys.
  • Options
    gaberoxgaberox Posts: 824
    laker1963:

I haven't had the V in a different size yet, but I do love to sit down for a couple of hours with the Double Toro... just a great smoke.

Ive had 3 of the churchill extras and they are so damn tasty. Im going to try the 6x56 torpedo here in a couple of hours over at the Tampa Humidor their having a 15% off sale on Olivas right now I cant wait. Only thing Ive noticed about the Vs is all I get is coffee with cream flavor which is fantastic but it doesnt change much for me. Maybe a little chocolate toward the 2nd half. One of my favorites right now along with the RP 90 churchill.

Just finished a RP 92 toro. Pretty damn good though I liked the 90 a lot better. The 92 seemed less complex and less peppery. Mostly a woody flavor for me. Not cedar so I guess it would be oak. Started to crack and unravel into the final 3rd. I think it might have been from the hot humid temps outside.

If Im not supposed to mention the Tampa Humidor let me know so I can edit.
  • Options
    I'm smoking a Nub Habano right now. It's my first time trying a Nub, and this little thing is pretty damn good. I've gotten a sweet, creamy taste, almost like something from Starbucks. I'm not sure if that's just me, or the cigar, but either way I'm loving it, lol.
  • Options
    Matt Marvel:
    I'm smoking a Nub Habano right now. It's my first time trying a Nub, and this little thing is pretty damn good. I've gotten a sweet, creamy taste, almost like something from Starbucks. I'm not sure if that's just me, or the cigar, but either way I'm loving it, lol.
    The Habano is my favorite Nub.

Earlier I tried a Padron torpedo. I didn't like it at all. The draw was a bit tight for me and the flavors I were getting were bland and unenjoyable to me.

Right now I'm smoking a Maxx Vice to help unwind from my finals.

CK