Home Trades, Passes and Bombs

Fun and Games

Comments

• BFGarnerBFGarner Posts: 96
    Luis Gonzalez Houston Astros ?
  • ScramblerScrambler Posts: 746 ✭✭
    BFGarner:
    Luis Gonzalez Houston Astros ?

Sorry, try again. Here's another hint, were talking about an American League team. The player in question certainly benefitted from AL rules.
    Got my package from Joe today, looks great. Looking forward to the Punch, its been a long time since I've had one from them, so I've been wanting to get one to try again.

Alright, lets get some more guesses here, I've narrowed it down pretty well, theres not many teams it can be from the hints.
    To recap:

Team:
    Has won a World Series.
    Is an expansion team, added in the 60's.
    American League.

I believe there are only 2 teams that fit this criteria.

Player:
    Accomplished something done by only 19 other players. (Bonus if you know what)
    Was active through most of the 90's.
    Served 2 seperate stints with this team.
    Somehow benefitted from AL rules.

• kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    Okay let me guess K.C Royals......and ummm Mike Macfarlane what did he do that only 19 players have done hard to say.. Played o the same team with four different Jersey numbers 5 -8 and 15. and 28. I dont know the benifit on the AL rule since he was the catcher. Well ?....
    Nope, not the Royals, though they are the other team it could have been based on the info given, so there is now only 1 possible team.
  • urbinourbino Posts: 4,517
    Ah! The Angels and Jim Abbott.
    urbino:
    Ah! The Angels and Jim Abbott.

We have a winner! Care to guess what he did that only 19 other players have done? It's not what he was most well known for, which is being a successful pitcher despite being born with only one hand (thus benefitting from AL rules by not having to bat), nor was it his No-Hitter for the Yankees...

Growing up in So-Cal, my dad worked a 2nd job at the stadium. I got to meet Jim Abbott a couple times. One night when I was probably 6, I was waiting in the players parking lot and the Halos had just been beaten pretty bad, Abbot was the losing pitcher. He walked past the small crowd of people seeking autographs without talking to anyone, got into his Chevy Blazer and started to back out. Then he saw me all upset and dejected that my hero had just ignored me, so he put it back in park, got out, walked over to me and signed my glove, then drove off, without talking to or signing for anyone else.

Send me a PM and I'll get your winnings sent out.
    Yay, me! Eat it, losers! :)

I have no idea what the 19 thing is. I know he did hit a little when he was in the NL. Is it something to do with that?

PM is on the way. Now I have to come up with a question. Ack!
    Nope, Abbott is one of only 20 players to make his professional debut in the Major Leagues upon being drafted, without playing a single game in the minors first. (Most of these players, including Abbott, did eventualy play in the minors, for rehab, etc)
    Scrambler, would that be Win a gold metal ??
    I didn't include him in that list with Winfield, Yout, Hunter,Feller Koufax, Ott ,Kaline, and I can't remember the rest I never heard his name mentioned Good question though
    And, Ernie Banks never played in the " minors" either..
    This business of coming up with a question is not easy. Ummmm, how many fingers am I holding up?
    My answer is ONE hopefully not the longest one on an average hand...
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    urbino:
    This business of coming up with a question is not easy. Ummmm, how many fingers am I holding up?
    that is the most abstract question i have heard on a F&G thread in any forum ever. i love it.
    Ha! Wrong on both counts, kas, but thanks for playing.

Despite kuzi's love for my current question, I think I've come up with a more interesting one. It's another baseball question -- another team and player question.

In the early 80s, my dad took my brothers and I to St. Louis to see our favorite team play the Cardinals. This is a team that has a rivalry with the Cards, and at that time was a perennial World Series contender.

As we were walking back to our seats from the concession stand between innings, my dad stopped and hollered down to one of our favorite players on the field, "Hey, ______!" Much to our surprise and delight, the player not only heard him, but turned around and looked, found us, gave us a big grin and waved.

What's the team, and who's the player? As a first hint (besides the ones planted in the story), I'll tell you he has since become a big-league manager, among other things.
    Heavens, I've killed the thread.
    Urbino not dead yet just thinking........Hmmmmm, I'll get back to you.
    Whew! Thanks, kas. I was beginning to feel like the kid whose house nobody every wants to go over to.
    I want to play, just affraid my guess will be the hint to make my second choice the winner and then some one else will snag it , example YOU on the last question. I have two choices in mind...
    kaspera79:
    I want to play, just affraid my guess will be the hint to make my second choice the winner and then some one else will snag it , example YOU on the last question.
    Hee. It's like somebody bid sniping on eBay, right? You think you've got your object of desire all locked up, and then at literally the last second -- BOOM! -- some sniper sneaks in a slightly higher bid.
    Okay your coy verbage is what makes me hesitate..Cincinnati Reds / Pete Rose.
    Oh, such a good guess, and yet so wrong!
    Darn you Urbino !! now I have to wait 24 hours to win this contest. I'll be back tomorrow.
    Don't be bitter, kas. :)
    Fine... I hate to lose, and then wait....I will do my homework next time before I pull the trigger next time.
  • madurofanmadurofan Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭
    urbino:
    Whew! Thanks, kas. I was beginning to feel like the kid whose house nobody every wants to go over to.
    Thats how I felt on the damn PIF game the first time. Kuzi, the nice guy that he is, came over.
    Urbino.. my next attempt at Fun and Games : I would say Houston Astros was/is the team, and Phillip ( scrap Iron) Garner is the man. ??
    Another good guess, but also wrong.

Further hint: the player has also been an ESPN analyst.
    Hey Urbino , Why am I the only one who wants to play. Okay I will guess in a few hours, gotta' be O FISH ALL. Perhaps I have narrowed it down... We shall sea.. Fish /Sea.