Home Ratings & Reviews

Rip's Cigar Journal

Comments

• danielzreyesdanielzreyes Posts: 8,769 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Want
    "It's plume, bro. Nothing to worry about. Got any Opus?" The suppose to be DZR
  • rzamanrzaman Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭
    Hi Glen, PM to you.
    phobicsquirrel:
    Great write up as always! Don't suppose you'd be into doing a trade for one?
    Hi Jliu, thanks. I know you are crazy...ofcourse in a good way. No comment LOL.
    jliu:
    beautiful romantic review Rip! I closed my eyes, puckered my lips, reached over to you. All to realize it was just a dream. sad face :(
    Thanks Pete...if your stick has a year age, You will feel the difference of the mellow and roundness. Let us know about your experience.
    PadronPete:
    Excellent review. I may smoke one tonight to remind myself what good tobacco tastes like.
    I know ESG is little pricy but you will not be disappointed. Let us know what you think. Thnaks!
    The Kid:
    BigT06:
    rzaman:
    Let us know what you think. I am very curious to know. Thanks!
    BigT06:
    The B Town Bombers just hit me with one of these. Can't wait to fire it up!
    I will post my thoughts for sure.
    After reading rip's rview, I ordered a single,,pricy little buggers,,
    Thanks Shawn. Which one you enjoy the most? Though both are good but the 52 has a different charm to smoke. IMHO, 52 is more dense and lush compares to 54 and 56. They are all excellent.
    zeebra:
    fantastic review!! I love both the 52 and 54's!! your review is making me want to light one up tonight.
  • beatnicbeatnic Posts: 4,133
    I am sooo jealous.
  • j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    rzaman:
    Thanks Shawn. Which one you enjoy the most? Though both are good but the 52 has a different charm to smoke. IMHO, 52 is more dense and lush compares to 54 and 56. They are all excellent.
    zeebra:
    fantastic review!! I love both the 52 and 54's!! your review is making me want to light one up tonight.
    I've only had the 52 and 54 and can say I preferred the 52. For me, the 56 is a bit bigger than I like, though I would try one to see how it compares.

The Padr
    Oh I forgot to mentioned that the Padron Family Reserve 45 Natural uses a hybreed Habano wrapper and the fillers are from Esteli and Jalapa ligeros with a double Nicaraguan binder.
    rzaman:

The Padr
  • zeebrazeebra Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭
    rzaman:
    zeebra:
    I actually keep going back and forth on the 52 and 54. When I smoke the 52, I like it better, then the 54, same thing. So I keep both of them. Have 2 boxes of each size, one from 2010 and the other from 2011. But if you also have the Siglo VI with a few years on it, they are pretty damn good as well for a bit less. But who am I to save a few bucks when all these smokes are exceptional. I loved your review and hope one day I can do a one even remotely close to the details you provided. Next time I light one up, I'm going to read your review to see if I get the same notes. I'm not a big fan of the 56, but I've only smoked one of those and didnt grab a box of those, so I cant say I hate them just yet.
  • T.J. ArmstrongT.J. Armstrong Posts: 256
    Great review Rzaman. Makes me want a second job (or third) so I can buy some boxes of these sticks and let them age.
    Well said...I had couple of Behike 56 but I get tired at the end. I agree it is a monstrous size and the nicotine really hits me hard. If you really want to detect the flavor and the notes then please smoke the cigar after a full breakfast with clean palate. While smoking just drink iced water. I am very curious to know about your experiment.
    zeebra:
    rzaman:
    zeebra:
    I actually keep going back and forth on the 52 and 54. When I smoke the 52, I like it better, then the 54, same thing. So I keep both of them. Have 2 boxes of each size, one from 2010 and the other from 2011. But if you also have the Siglo VI with a few years on it, they are pretty damn good as well for a bit less. But who am I to save a few bucks when all these smokes are exceptional. I loved your review and hope one day I can do a one even remotely close to the details you provided. Next time I light one up, I'm going to read your review to see if I get the same notes. I'm not a big fan of the 56, but I've only smoked one of those and didnt grab a box of those, so I cant say I hate them just yet.
    Thanks TJ.
    T.J. Armstrong:
    Great review Rzaman. Makes me want a second job (or third) so I can buy some boxes of these sticks and let them age.
  • Roberto99Roberto99 Posts: 1,077
    Another super review. Thanks! (again)
    Thanks Robert...appreciate your kind words.
    Roberto99:
    Another super review. Thanks! (again)

Back in 1995, General Cigar offered an extremely limited-edition cigar to commemorate the 150 years that Partagas had been in production. At that time, Cigar Master Daniel Nunez had the foresight to set aside a limited quantity of smaller and medium size wrapper leaves for continued maturation. Then, 10 years later, using the same rare vintage Cameroon wrapper from 1977, General launched this series of sought-after beauties made by the same Daniel Nunez in tribute to his mentor Ram
  • catfishbluezzcatfishbluezz Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭
    Interesting, I just grabbed one for a friend, I may have to grab another to try.

Melanio Oliva first grew tobacco in Pinar Del Rio, Cuba in 1886. His growing operations were suspended while he fought in Cuba’s War of Independence. After returning from war Melanio resumed his operations. In the early 1920’s Melanio’s son Hipolito Oliva took over the growing operations. Hipolito cultivated the Oliva family fields for several decades. As Cuba became over-run by communist the tobacco landscape changed. Hipolito’s son Gilberto Oliva shifted from growing to brokering tobacco. In the early 60’s the pressure became too great and Gilberto traveled from country to country in search of the distinct Cuban taste. His travels took him to Honduras, Panama, Mexico and even the Philippines. Gilberto finally found fertile ground in Nicaragua. Today Gilberto along with his family are Nicaragua’s second largest grower of Cuban-seed tobacco. [Source: Oliva cigar]
    Photobucket
    Master Blends 3 is the third offering in a series of limited artisanal blends. Liga Maestra is specifically blended to deliver the richest characteristics of Nicaraguan ligero fillers and Connecticut broadleaf sun-grown wrappers. The cigar looks solid, heavy and feels good in hand. The shape is interesting- rounded boxed pressed, very close to oval shape. The wrapper is dark chocolate color, almost no vein or oily sheen on it. The fillers are Nicaraguan ligero, aged over six years. The band is very attractive and well represent Nicaraguan natural tropical beauty. The cigar smells sweet, molasses, damp earth, hay. the foot has a damp sweet scent. It has good draw with some burn irregularities. I had to touch up few times. This is a straight full bodied and bold cigar. The flavor and aroma profile is combination of earth, sweet, cedar, distinctive coffee, chocolate, molasses, cocoa, leather with distinctive spiciness. I did not enjoy retrohale the cigar because of the harshness. Indeed, sign of Nicaraguan Esteli and Jalapa ligeros- strong, spicy, sweet. I bought the box almost two years ago. The cigar did not mellowed out as I expected. This cigar need to be smoked with full stomach. I felt the nicotine and the power of Nicaraguan ligero. I picked up to smoke this cigar because the forum is discussing a lot about this cigar recently.
    Photobucket Photobucket
    Wrapper: Connecticut Broadleaf Sun-Grown

Binder: Nicaraguan Habano

Filler: Nicaraguan Ligero
    Photobucket
    1/3: It starts with spicy kick with chocolate and coffee flavors. The spicy leather note with harshness is very dominant. I tried to retrohale but it's hurts my nose and irritates my throat. However, after few puffs the sweetness comes forward and makes it little smoother and round. The top of my tongue feels the leather spiciness, the middle of my tongue feels the round sweetness with above flavors and aroma. The back of my tongue feel the harsh tobacco aftertaste. I have to mention that the sweet damp earthy, almost compost kinda note is interesting. It is medium-full in strength.
    Photobucket
    2/3: The cigar performs well at this stage. It is more round and mellow but retrohale is still a challenge for the harshness. the draw is also little tight but does not hamper the smoking experience. The leather note is almost gone. More profound dark chocolate, cocoa, molasses sweetness is dominating the flavor profile and aroma. It has a nice toasted nut aroma in the background- nice twist. The burn is little irregular. The top of my tongue feels the sweet-black peppery spiciness, the middle of my tongue feels the thick texture with above flavors and aroma. The back of my tongue still feels the harshness of the tobacco. I am not retrohaling any more. I lightly inhale smoke through the nose and enjoying the toasted nuttiness in the background with sweet coffee, caramel aroma notes but had to stop quickly for the harshness. It has a nice medium- long finish but no tingly feeling. I licked my lips and felt bitter-sweetness to it. The subtle cocoa aroma is very enjoyable. It is medium- full in strength at this stage but more subtle and full of rich above flavors and aroma.
    Photobucket
    Final/3: The cigar is picking up more strength. The top of my tongue can feel the clean spiciness. Apparently the sweetness is in the background. The middle of my tongue can feel round, subtle thickness which is very enjoyable. The flavor profile is dominated with aromatic cedar with rich coffee flavor. The sweetness is weak and the back of my tongue can feel the spicy tobacco note. The smoke is kinda one dimensional and lost it's complexity. The finish is very short. However, it is bold. I can feel that little age may improve the cigar further. It is powerful and bold in strength. Though it mellowed out at this stage but at the same time became one dimensional.

Final thought: This is a good smoke and offers good value. This is a perfect cigar who looks for strength, distinctive coffee note and intensity. I would recommend this after a heavy meal. There is a miss conception that this a Nicaraguan Puro but it is not. The wrapper is Connecticut Sun Grown. It is definitely a improved version from number one and two with more richness and flavors. I am not going to buy a box rather than one or two sticks here and there.
  • 0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks Rip!!
    I've been considering this cigar and this helps a lot.
    In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
  • j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    Interesting final thoughts. I felt that Master Blend 1 was superior the 2&3. I suppose we each have different criteria that make a blend good though. Good review as always Rip.
    Thanks Joe, agree with you completely about the individual criteria. This is a reason why I rarely score a cigar rather than lay down the flavor and aroma profile. As always, cigar taste is subjective and individual.
    j0z3r:
    Interesting final thoughts. I felt that Master Blend 1 was superior the 2&3. I suppose we each have different criteria that make a blend good though. Good review as always Rip.
    Thanks Tony...I believe you will enjoy Oliva MB 3. It is a good smoke just not very complex.
    0patience:
    Thanks Rip!!
    I've been considering this cigar and this helps a lot.

These ultra-premium beauties are handcrafted in the Dominican Republic by a team of the most experienced tobacco experts under the direction of Daniel Nunez. Perfectly aged Dominican, Nicaraguan and Mexican filler tobaccos are skillfully blended together and paired with Dominican Havana seed binders that were aged in Tercios (bales wrapped in palm leaves) for 2 years. The vintage, Connecticut shade wrappers from the 1992 crop that have been cloistered for almost 15-years, give these mild to medium bodied, complex masterpieces the perfect harmonizing finish. Antonio Stradivari was born in Italy in 1644 and would become the definitive violin-maker. The violins that the Stradivari family would build, would be called the Stradivarius. These violins are the most sought after stringed instrument in the world, and among the most expensive. The Hammer, for example, is worth an astounding $3.6 million dollars. The sound that comes out of a Stradivarius is something that has not been replicated since the 1700s, as modern research tools can not fully explain the reasoning behind the instrument. Not only are there violins from the Stradivari family, but also Violas and Cellos, as well as a few Guitars, Harps and Mandolins. When Angel Nunez and General Cigar decided to produce a new, ultra-premium cigar, the name Stradivarius fit. The Stradivarius de los Maestros was released in 2007 in the RTDA show. [Source: various on-line articles]
    Photobucket Photobucket
    Wrapper: 15 Year Vintage Connecticut Shade

Binder: Dominican Havana Seed (Aged in Tercios for two years)

Filler: Dominican, Nicaraguan, Mexican

Factory: General Cigar Dominicana
    Photobucket Photobucket
    The cigar has one the best presentation in the market. It comes in a beautiful coffin that includes a purple ribbon with middle age style wax seal. Ten of these coffins comes in a humidor quality marble look wooden box. Overall, has a very classic, regal and top notch look. The cigar is solid, long and feels heavy in hand. The wrapper color is pale brown, smooth, almost no vein and oily. The wrapper has hay and light earthy scent. The dry draw has a delicate cedar sweetness which is a sign of aged Connecticut shade grown wrapper. This is a mild-medium cigar and requires clean palate as a morning smoke to enjoy its delicate, super smooth, creamy flavors and aroma. I choose this cigar this morning because I really wanted to enjoy the morning quiet time, birdsongs and light tropical breeze in my garden. The world is sleeping and enjoying a lazy Sunday morning but I wanted to enjoy my alone time with nature. I had a light Danish breakfast with a cup of delicate First Flush Darjeeling tea. Overall, a perfect time to enjoy a mild flavorful cigar and retrohale the aged smoothness of it. The flavor profile and aroma has a wonderful combination of creaminess, vanilla, white chocolate, nuts, cardamom-cinnamon powder, light cafe latte with a zing of sweet-bitterness, mild aromatic cedar sweetness to it with a savory, smooth and buttery texture. It is a complex cigar with medium to long finish with a twist of crispness without a full tingly feeling. This cigar is for them who enjoy soft, delicate, creamy, complex flavor and aroma which opposes strength and power.
    Photobucket
    1/3: The first puff has mild strength with soft sweetness of Cafe latte to it with distinctive vanilla and cardamom powder notes. The sweetness has a mild bitterness in the background which is expected taste from a Connecticut wrapper. This is a reason why some people do not like this wrapper- the bitterness to it. The cigar is completely smooth and creamy in texture. The top of my tongue is enjoying the delicate sweet-white peppery spiciness. The middle of my tongue is full of creamy and buttery texture with cafe latte, nutty flavors with distinctive vanilla and cardamom powder notes. The back of my tongue is enjoying the soft delicate touch of aged tobacco bitterness. I am retrohaling from the first puff and enjoying the white peppery soft spicy kick through the nose. All I can say is - mmmmm. The cardamom note works interestingly after few puffs with a light touch of cinnamon power. If you are familiar with Indian creamy chicken Reshmi kabob then you may remember they use cardamom and young cinnamon stick powder to inject a delicate sweet-spiciness into the meat. Though it is a mild cigar but it has a robust flavors and aroma from the beginning.
    Photobucket
    2/3: As I enter to this stage, the cigar is waking up with mild- medium strength. It has the complete 1/3 flavors and aroma but now it has distinctive white chocolate, toasted nutty flavors with a more profound sweet cedar note in the back. The best part is it's texture- completely subtle, round, mouthful, creamy, buttery and silky smoothness. I am really enjoying the retrohale and inhale some smoke through the nose. The sweet-Connecticut bitterness is simply awesome and relaxing. I am completely captured by it. All the above flavors and aroma are coming forward back and forth distinctively- what a complex cigar. The only flaw is the finish is medium to long. Though I am fully captured with it's flavors and aroma but it is difficult to keep track of the changes. However, the top of my tongue has a nice sweetness without any aftertaste in the background. This is the magic of the aged tobacco. This a perfect example of a complex mild cigar. The best part at this stage is the layers and layers of cardamom, cinnamon and white peppery delicate touch locked in a buttery texture. The entire flavor and aroma profile is inside a soft creamy texture shield. I am not sure why I am feeling the strength is medium though I had a full bodied and bold Oliva MB 3 last night. What a divine and delicate smoking experience! It produces a lot of smoke at this stage with above flavors and aroma- yum yum.…
    Photobucket
    Final/3: As I am approaching to the final stage, the cigar is performing even better with more complexity and longer finish with crispness. It is spreading a mild tinglyness in my mouth but as a mild- medium cigar it was expected. Master blender Daniel Nunez did a great job with this blend. I can tell that this cigar was created for a niche market for developed palate. Daniel always does a great job with blending Mexican, Dominican and Nicaraguan fillers. In fact, most of his top cigars have fillers from one of these three countries. He is an expert utilizing aged Connecticut shade grown and Cameroon wrapper. I believe few Master blenders understand Connecticut wrapper as him. After the economic embargo both Daniel and Frank Llaneza understood that Connecticut was the only hope to recreate or replace the reddish light sweet Cuban wrapper. However, the bitterness of Connecticut has been always unavoidable but they both tried to infuse some sweetness into the fillers to balance the weaknesses of Connecticut wrapper. The history of Connecticut grown wrapper has been always fascinating to me and I am still learning how different blenders are trying to utilize it with sweet fillers. Another successful and creative Master blender is E.P. Carrillo who understands Connecticut very well and moved to Dominican Republic to utilize it's world famous Piloto Cubano tobacco leaf. I apologize for too much talk here about the wrapper rather than the cigar itself. I believe the early morning quietness and meditative environment made me talk too much-sorry. I am just simply enjoying the complexity of the cigar at this moment. I love Stradivarius on a special moment and highly regard it's magical flavors and aroma. Though it doesn't have many flavors but it magically utilizes the complexity with medium to long finish with complete flavor and aroma profile of 1/3 and 2/3. The strength is straight medium at this stage. The one I am smoking has been aged almost five years after 2007 release. In a general rules, Connecticut wrapper is not for aging but Stradivarius is different because of the fillers.

Final thought: Though this cigar was created for the niche market but the MSRP is simply not justifiable. It shouldn't be $30 rather than $12-15, at the same time I also understand that it is expensive to age tobacco in the U.S for it's high labor cost. If you like strength in a cigar please do not waste your money on it but if you enjoy creamy, delicate flavors and aroma then you should at least smoke one as a morning smoke. You will not be disappointed. I can assure you my statement because I have smoked many Stradivarius and always maintain a good stock. Have a wonderful Sunday and wish you a productive week ahead. Thank you!
  • danielzreyesdanielzreyes Posts: 8,769 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Snoop Dogg once asked Hugh Hefner if he ever gets tired of sleeping with beautiful women and sleep with an ugly one just because.
    Rip, you ever smoke a budget sticks/yard gar just because? Or will you only smoke "beautiful women"?

yet another awesome review. thanks for sharing
    "It's plume, bro. Nothing to worry about. Got any Opus?" The suppose to be DZR
  • 0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rip,
    Great article, as always. I've never heard of that cigar. Thanks for showing it to us.
    So many great sounding cigars to keep an eye out for. I appreciate these articles.
    In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
    Thanks Tony, as always.
    0patience:
    Rip,
    Great article, as always. I've never heard of that cigar. Thanks for showing it to us.
    So many great sounding cigars to keep an eye out for. I appreciate these articles.

LOL...I didn't know that Snoop Dogg asked that question to Hugh Hefner...I am curious to know Hugh's answer.

Daniel, I would never use the word yard gar for any cigar. Taste is subjective and individual, I respect every opinion. To answer your question, wherever I have given a cigar by someone, no matter the quality and price, I always cherish and smoke it. To me gift always comes with sincerely. A gift is a silent language of pure friendship and I always smoke them. I won't deny that when I buy a cigar, I try to stick with my personal like. At the same time respect others taste and choice. One more thing, I have a decent life but it came with a lot of hard work. I stilll remember those days when I couldn't buy something I really wanted to. You can see that I am a happy man because I cherish everything I have in life. Life is too short not to cherish the good thing we have around us.

AgaIn, thanks for your kind note my friend.
    danielzreyes:
    Snoop Dogg once asked Hugh Hefner if he ever gets tired of sleeping with beautiful women and sleep with an ugly one just because.
    Rip, you ever smoke a budget sticks/yard gar just because? Or will you only smoke "beautiful women"?

• scarlinscarlin Posts: 1,592
    rzaman:

LOL...I didn't know that Snoop Dogg asked that question to Hugh Hefner...I am curious to know Hugh's answer.

Daniel, I would never use the word yard gar for any cigar. Taste is subjective and individual, I respect every opinion. To answer your question, wherever I have given a cigar by someone, no matter the quality and price, I always cherish and smoke it. To me gift always comes with sincerely. A gift is a silent language of pure friendship and I always smoke them. I won't deny that when I buy a cigar, I try to stick with my personal like. At the same time respect others taste and choice. One more thing, I have a decent life but it came with a lot of hard work. I stilll remember those days when I couldn't buy something I really wanted to. You can see that I am a happy man because I cherish everything I have in life. Life is too short not to cherish the good thing we have around us.

danielzreyes:

Just a random sidenote. Snoop Dogg changed his name to Snoop Lion. Also I have one of these suckers aging in my humi
  • jliujliu Posts: 7,735 ✭✭✭✭
    rzaman:

danielzreyes:

I totally agree Rip. Life IS too short not to cherish the good things we have around us. That's why when I get asked at Mcdonalds if I want it supersized, I always say yes. I love America.