Home Non Cigar Related

God...Selfless or Selfish

1235»

Comments

• JDHJDH Posts: 2,107
    beatnic:
    The only group of people who Jesus ever said bothered him were the Scribes and the Pharisees

from Mathew - Jesus said that the *Pharisees taught many good things. They taught God's law. But the important thing was to obey it. Jesus called the *Pharisees ‘graves that men have painted white’. They looked good and holy on the outside. In fact, their lives were selfish and greedy. They showed this by the way that they behaved with Jesus. They wanted people to praise them. They wanted to have the best seats at meetings. ‘Do the things that they teach’, Jesus said, ‘But do not do the things that they do’.
    But Rome crucified him, and the proceedings were quite political. The Pharisees wanted him out of the way, and they used Rome to get it done. The people chose Barabas, a man whom they believed could provide revolutionary change through violence. So, he was caught up in the politics of the time.
  • jthanatosjthanatos Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭
    JDH:
    beatnic:
    The only group of people who Jesus ever said bothered him were the Scribes and the Pharisees

from Mathew - Jesus said that the *Pharisees taught many good things. They taught God's law. But the important thing was to obey it. Jesus called the *Pharisees ‘graves that men have painted white’. They looked good and holy on the outside. In fact, their lives were selfish and greedy. They showed this by the way that they behaved with Jesus. They wanted people to praise them. They wanted to have the best seats at meetings. ‘Do the things that they teach’, Jesus said, ‘But do not do the things that they do’.
    But Rome crucified him, and the proceedings were quite political. The Pharisees wanted him out of the way, and they used Rome to get it done. The people chose Barabas, a man whom they believed could provide revolutionary change through violence. So, he was caught up in the politics of the time.
    That is... one way of looking at it. Suffice it to say I believe that nothing happened that wasn't part of God's plan and everything had its reason.
    jthanatos:
    JDH:
    beatnic:

That is... one way of looking at it. Suffice it to say I believe that nothing happened that wasn't part of God's plan and everything had its reason.
    To everything, turn turn turn, there is a season, turn turn turn, and a time to every purpose under heaven...
    JDH:
    jthanatos:
    JDH:
    beatnic:

To everything, turn turn turn, there is a season, turn turn turn, and a time to every purpose under heaven...
    Nearly all of the people of old Israel expected the Messiah to be both a theological and a political leader who would free them from the iron Roman fist (in the tradition of King David), but to their surprise, that's not why Jesus came to them. To this very day, I'm not sure they've ever "gotten" His message to us. At any rate, from what we know of the life of Jesus, he was surrounded by the politics of the time and place in which he lived.
  • beatnicbeatnic Posts: 4,133
    JDH:
    JDH:
    jthanatos:
    JDH:
    beatnic:

Nearly all of the people of old Israel expected the Messiah to be both a theological and a political leader who would free them from the iron Roman fist (in the tradition of King David), but to their surprise, that's not why Jesus came to them. To this very day, I'm not sure they've ever "gotten" His message to us. At any rate, from what we know of the life of Jesus, he was surrounded by the politics of the time and place in which he lived.
    Nearly all of the people of old Isreal? Do you have a poll or what? What are you talking about ? References please? Political, iron fist? What do you say his message was? And can you quote him giving that message?
    beatnic:
    JDH:
    JDH:
    jthanatos:
    JDH:
    beatnic:

Nearly all of the people of old Isreal? Do you have a poll or what? What are you talking about ? References please? Political, iron fist? What do you say his message was? And can you quote him giving that message?
    You're very inquisitive! I'd love to accomodate, but I gotta go...maybe later.
  • webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Before you can answer whether God is benevolent, you must first determine whether He is a conscious Being with volition, desire, and goals; or whether He is unconscious, without self-awareness, goals, or desires. Neither philosophers nor divines have been able to get to the bottom of all that.

There was a Greek dialogue I read way too many years ago, I don't think it was Plato, but it was similarly constructed, whoever wrote it, where some thoughtful aristocrats sat round the table after dinner discussing whether the gods were real beings who ruled the world, or whether they were merely myth. Back and forth they went. Good arguments on either side. Filled up a couple scrolls. Until, finally, one fellow stood up, saying something like so: "I gotta go -- I have a thing in the morning so I got to get to bed. I don't think you can ever decide for sure whether the gods are real or not anyway. You're wasting your time. See, the bottom line is, it doesn't matter whether they are real or just imagined. The whole point of the gods is, you can't expect to have good women or good slaves without the idea that there are real gods."

In short, you are discussing the second question first, and missing the point too.

“It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

JDH:
    beatnic:
    JDH:
    JDH:
    jthanatos:
    JDH:
    beatnic:

Sounds like a cop-out.
    beatnic:
    JDH:
    beatnic:
    JDH:
    JDH:
    jthanatos:
    JDH:
    beatnic:

Sounds like a cop-out.
    No cop-out, just had something else to do, that's all.
  • MarkerMarker Posts: 2,524
    beatnic:
    JDH:
    Are you going to prove him wrong beatnic? Is it such a hard stretch that the people of old Israel wanted a theological leader along with someone to free them from the Roman empire?

What in this statement is so offensive to you that you post SEVEN questions asking it to be validated? He voiced an opinion that started off with what appears to be a factual statement. Read it again and see that it is not as visceral as you make it sound.
  • webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is it true His hands would glow in the dark?

“It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

webmost:
    Is it true His hands would glow in the dark?

I dunno, but I see you found a really good example of how Capitalism works!
  • Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Marker:
    beatnic:
    JDH:
    Are you going to prove him wrong beatnic? Is it such a hard stretch that the people of old Israel wanted a theological leader along with someone to free them from the Roman empire?

What in this statement is so offensive to you that you post SEVEN questions asking it to be validated? He voiced an opinion that started off with what appears to be a factual statement. Read it again and see that it is not as visceral as you make it sound.
    "...after the dethronement of the Davidic rulers by...Nebuchadnezzar in 586 BC, the specific sense of theMessiah, the final Jewish monarch who would defeat all the foreign nations, subject them to Israel and his God, and thus inaugurate the Kingdom of Heaven. Such a savior figure was anxiously awaited in the intertestament age, especially during periods of political agitation against the dominating foreign power, the Greeks in the Maccabaean period, and the Romans after the conquest of Palestine by Pompey in 63 BC, and even more so in the course of the years leading up to the two wars of the Jews against Rome in the first and second centuries AD..."

p 190 "The Changing Face of Jesus", Geza Vermes, Chair of Ancient Hebrew studies at Oxford.

There's lot's more where that came from, although I had always thought this to be common knowledge
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
    Amos Umwhat:
    Marker:
    beatnic:
    JDH:

"...after the dethronement of the Davidic rulers by...Nebuchadnezzar in 586 BC, the specific sense of theMessiah, the final Jewish monarch who would defeat all the foreign nations, subject them to Israel and his God, and thus inaugurate the Kingdom of Heaven. Such a savior figure was anxiously awaited in the intertestament age, especially during periods of political agitation against the dominating foreign power, the Greeks in the Maccabaean period, and the Romans after the conquest of Palestine by Pompey in 63 BC, and even more so in the course of the years leading up to the two wars of the Jews against Rome in the first and second centuries AD..."

p 190 "The Changing Face of Jesus", Geza Vermes, Chair of Ancient Hebrew studies at Oxford.

There's lot's more where that came from, although I had always thought this to be common knowledge
    It was on the tip of my tongue.
    beatnic:
    Amos Umwhat:
    Marker:
    beatnic:
    JDH:

It was on the tip of my tongue.
    I don't know about you, but I've always wanted to be able to see the tip of my tounge when stuff gets stuck there.
  • StreaterStreater Posts: 293
    Jsnake put it very eloquently on page 4. I believe that religion has gotten in the way of people's journey to become closer to God. It’s understandable, as the human mind is not capable of comprehending a true understanding of the will and immensity of God. It's not complex enough to even begin to scratch the surface. A human's lifespan isn’t long enough to acquire the knowledge even if it were. That's why we have so many ugly and evil interpretations of what people believe to be God's will. That's my theory, at least.

You also have to take into account that some of the Old Testament took place before a complete written language. When stories are passed down throughout multiple generations, there is a less than zero percent chance that it will be slightly modified to fit the story teller's agenda. Give that a couple hundred generations and it's easily understandable as to why some stories in the Bible resemble a lot of Pagan teachings and traditions. That's why it is extremely important to continually seek God's will in study, meditation and prayer.

This is another reason the Bible has been so easily used as a weapon. Some people will take what is written, AS it is written and never bother to truly and honestly seek to comprehend what it really means. It is not an easy book to understand, nor is it a complete compilation of the scriptures and accounts of the events that took place.

In 325 A.D. the Emperor Constantine formed the first group of scholars, historians and theologians, to combine all the separate books, scriptures and letters into one complete compilation. It was known as The Council of Nicea. The Council of Laodicea in 363 A.D and the Council of Hippo in 393 A.D. each had their own separate ideas on which books to be included. It wasn’t until Council of Carthage in 397 A.D. did anyone finally agreed on what should be included into what we now call The Bible. Just knowing this, one can so easily refute the accuracy and truth of the scriptures. Hell, even the slowest 8th grade debate team can tear it apart!

Any free-thinking, intelligent individual would have a very difficult time believing in God as described in The Bible by just reading it cover to cover, and taking it at face value. It’s conflicting and doesn’t make sense. This is why it’s important to genuinely and honestly study it, and to fiercely seek enlightenment. Unfortunately, this is very difficult to do without faith. It defies logic and rationality without faith. This is especially true when we see so many so-called, “Christians” spewing such hate and negativity. Their judgmental hypocrisy makes it easy for skeptics and non-believers to doubt the word of God.

I pray to the God of Abraham, and do my best to follow the teachings of Christ and the 10 commandments. I believe that Jesus is the messiah and was sent by God to die for the salvation of humanity. I try to be a witness for Christ through actions and love; not words. I fail constantly, but it’s my faith that drives me to seek forgiveness and continue to strive to live as Christ did and relentlessly seek to truly know God.
    Streater:
    Jsnake put it very eloquently on page 4. I believe that religion has gotten in the way of people's journey to become closer to God. It’s understandable, as the human mind is not capable of comprehending a true understanding of the will and immensity of God. It's not complex enough to even begin to scratch the surface. A human's lifespan isn’t long enough to acquire the knowledge even if it were. That's why we have so many ugly and evil interpretations of what people believe to be God's will. That's my theory, at least.

You also have to take into account that some of the Old Testament took place before a complete written language. When stories are passed down throughout multiple generations, there is a less than zero percent chance that it will be slightly modified to fit the story teller's agenda. Give that a couple hundred generations and it's easily understandable as to why some stories in the Bible resemble a lot of Pagan teachings and traditions. That's why it is extremely important to continually seek God's will in study, meditation and prayer.

This is another reason the Bible has been so easily used as a weapon. Some people will take what is written, AS it is written and never bother to truly and honestly seek to comprehend what it really means. It is not an easy book to understand, nor is it a complete compilation of the scriptures and accounts of the events that took place.

In 325 A.D. the Emperor Constantine formed the first group of scholars, historians and theologians, to combine all the separate books, scriptures and letters into one complete compilation. It was known as The Council of Nicea. The Council of Laodicea in 363 A.D and the Council of Hippo in 393 A.D. each had their own separate ideas on which books to be included. It wasn’t until Council of Carthage in 397 A.D. did anyone finally agreed on what should be included into what we now call The Bible. Just knowing this, one can so easily refute the accuracy and truth of the scriptures. Hell, even the slowest 8th grade debate team can tear it apart!

Any free-thinking, intelligent individual would have a very difficult time believing in God as described in The Bible by just reading it cover to cover, and taking it at face value. It’s conflicting and doesn’t make sense. This is why it’s important to genuinely and honestly study it, and to fiercely seek enlightenment. Unfortunately, this is very difficult to do without faith. It defies logic and rationality without faith. This is especially true when we see so many so-called, “Christians” spewing such hate and negativity. Their judgmental hypocrisy makes it easy for skeptics and non-believers to doubt the word of God.

I pray to the God of Abraham, and do my best to follow the teachings of Christ and the 10 commandments. I believe that Jesus is the messiah and was sent by God to die for the salvation of humanity. I try to be a witness for Christ through actions and love; not words. I fail constantly, but it’s my faith that drives me to seek forgiveness and continue to strive to live as Christ did and relentlessly seek to truly know God.
    I think God has a terrific sense of humor, and that we may be one of his most interesting sources of entertainment.
  • RedtailhawkozRedtailhawkoz Posts: 2,915
    WOW its been a while since i could get on here and I open up and see this one! LOL
    Hats off to Vulchor for posting such a topic.... I wont go there on this one.......... I will fall back on my Grandpas WOrds of wisdon....
    " If you want to have freinds or keep freinds dont speak Politics or Religion"
    Watch Anceint Aliens for a while.........
  • VulchorVulchor Posts: 4,848 ✭✭✭✭
    Nice to see you again Oz, hope you are well. The discussion went pretty well I think despite our differences...so nothing wrong with that.
    Vulchor:
    Nice to see you again Oz, hope you are well. The discussion went pretty well I think despite our differences...so nothing wrong with that.

Ive been so crazy Busy this summer and did my trip to South Dakota for 3 weeks in july and the first of august , and now back at it.... hope to have more time to get in here and try and get back in the swing of this!..... its been months since ive been bombed or have sent a bomb! Ive smoked up most of my stock and am in reload mode! LOL Life is Good!
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    Redtailhawkoz:
    WOW its been a while since i could get on here and I open up and see this one! LOL
    Hats off to Vulchor for posting such a topic.... I wont go there on this one.......... I will fall back on my Grandpas WOrds of wisdon....
    uuuhhh... what good are friends if you have no enemies?

it has been an interesting read.
    kuzi16:
    Redtailhawkoz:
    uuuhhh... what good are friends if you have no enemies?

it has been an interesting read.

LOL Isnt that the truth Kuzi..... I am going to be heading back to Ohio sometime this fall I would love to get together and fire a couple goood sticks up!
  • I just watched a documentary called the Zeitgeist(do a search for zeitgeist the film). Interesting take on the history of religion in part 1. Take it for what you want...
  • jthanatosjthanatos Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭
    ccezar:
    I just watched a documentary called the Zeitgeist(do a search for zeitgeist the film). Interesting take on the history of religion in part 1. Take it for what you want...
    The film is very interesting, however, you may want to take it with a grain or six of salt. http://conspiracies.skepticproject.com/articles/zeitgeist/