Home General Discussion
Options

THE NEWBIE WELCOMING THREAD

Comments

• Options
    kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    bnccna2:
    Hey - have been reading on here for a while, finally decided to join. I've only been smoking less than 6 months, but I'll try anything I can get my hands on. I've found a lot of good advice on this site. Thanks for all the help you've given so far.
    Hey bnccna... Welcome to the "family" ..
  • Options
    JdoraisJdorais Posts: 652
    wow so many new botl's! Welcome to the site.
  • Options
    matt08vtmatt08vt Posts: 12
    Newbie to the forums here... I'm a mid-20s cigar smoker of 4 years.  Looking for a good place to swap tips and flavors, and this seems to be the place.  My only claim to fame - I was the vice president of my college cigar club in 2006-07 at Virginia Tech.  Now, most of my cigar smoking buddies have seperated after graduation, so I need someplace to talk tobacco, and this might as well be it.
  • Options
    madurofanmadurofan Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭
    matt08vt:
    Newbie to the forums here... I'm a mid-20s cigar smoker of 4 years.  Looking for a good place to swap tips and flavors, and this seems to be the place.  My only claim to fame - I was the vice president of my college cigar club in 2006-07 at Virginia Tech.  Now, most of my cigar smoking buddies have seperated after graduation, so I need someplace to talk tobacco, and this might as well be it.
    Welcome Matt. Are you still in VA?
  • Options
    kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    matt08vt:
    Newbie to the forums here... I'm a mid-20s cigar smoker of 4 years.  Looking for a good place to swap tips and flavors, and this seems to be the place.  My only claim to fame - I was the vice president of my college cigar club in 2006-07 at Virginia Tech.  Now, most of my cigar smoking buddies have separated after graduation, so I need someplace to talk tobacco, and this might as well be it.
    Hey Matt..welcome. There are many here who enjoy tobacco talk, as well as the discussion of other things, so you won't get lonely here
  • Options
    gmill880gmill880 Posts: 5,947
    welcome aboard matty
  • Options

Thanks for the welcome guys.  I'm looking forward to hanging out in the forums a bit.

madurofan - yes, I am still in VA.  I live south of Richmond.  Are you in my area?

• Options
    I'm in Chesapeake just west of Va Beach. We'll have to hit an event some time, I go up to Havana Connections for events occasionally.
  • Options
    bbc020bbc020 Posts: 1,422
    madurofan:
    I go up to Havana Connections for events occasionally.
    They are having tons of events too! Keep getting emails from them, letting me know how cool it would be to live around Richmond!
  • Options
    Shorty owns HC, he and Scott who own Emerson's do almost everything together. Its almost like they are franchises.
  • Options
    bbc020bbc020 Posts: 1,422
    madurofan:
    Shorty owns HC, he and Scott who own Emerson's do almost everything together. Its almost like they are franchises.
    And both are top notch B&Ms IMO
  • Options
    bbc020:
    madurofan:
    And both are top notch B&Ms IMO
    Mine as well.
  • Options
    A friend of mine from the cigar club at Tech worked at Emerson's sometime around 2003-2005. His name was Justin, but we all knew him as Jack. I'll keep my eye open for events at havana connections and be in touch.
  • Options
    Do you know which one? There are 4, 2 in Va Beach, 1 each in Chesapeake and Norfolk.
  • Options
    madurofan:
    Do you know which one? There are 4, 2 in Va Beach, 1 each in Chesapeake and Norfolk.
    It would have been in Virginia Beach, but I'm not sure which one. Last I heard of him, he was in Germany with the Air Force. Is Emerson's a decent place? I'm about 45 minutes from a HC, and the only one I've ever been to seemed a little stuffy and overpriced. I've really been struggling to find a decent cigar shop in my area (so I found my way to Cigar.com). I can't make this up - the only 'tobacco shop' in my area advertises itself as a shop with "Premium Cigars and Scooter Sales." Chock full of R&J and Macanudo.
  • Options
    Emerson's is a great place. Very, very nice. I've gotten to know the owner, Scott and the staff at the Chesapeake location fairly well. The put on some great events and have a great lounge area in all their locations. Chesapeake is by far the busiest location because of its size and location it gets most of the events.

I've only been to the Swift Creek Havana Connections location so far so I can't really comment on too much but ... Price wise you have to understand that a B&M is always going to be pricey when compared to an online store. They have the overhead of a location that online stores do not. Not to mention state taxes are not included when you buy online .. technically you are supposed to pay them yourself. I'm big on supporting your local shop though bc these are the places fighting your local anti-tobacco legislation and giving you a place to smoke when you are chased out of everywhere else. Second, sadly you will have "stuffy" people in every B&M its just a part of this culture. You'll meet many great people who love the leaf as much as you but you'll also meet plenty who are only interested bc of the image.

Premium Cigar and Scooter Sales, thats classic right there.
  • Options
    I'll have to check Emersons out sometimes, it might be worth the drive. And you make some good points about visiting the physical stores. I guess I just miss the relaxed atmosphere of a college town shop and tobacconist. Also... what does B&M stand for? I'm guessing it isn't Black and Mild...
  • Options
    I hear ya, I loved Milan's when I was up there. I went to Ferrum College, btw. B&M stands for Bricks and Mortar.
  • Options
    bnccna2bnccna2 Posts: 44
    Anybody on here around lakeland, FL?
  • Options
    Yeah, Milan is a heck of a place. Didn't get to spend a lot of time there, but I am familiar with it.
  • Options
    G-ZowG-Zow Posts: 7
    Hey guys my names Michael and im in my early 20's, living in central Michigan, and im happy to be here, this looks like a great place to talk tobacco.
  • Options
    j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    It is a great place to talk tobacco Michael, welcome. Incidentally, this is also a great place to discuss all things burro...don't ask me why, it just is. :D
  • Options
    Matt MarvelMatt Marvel Posts: 930
    G-Zow:
    Hey guys my names Michael and im in my early 20's, living in central Michigan, and im happy to be here, this looks like a great place to talk tobacco.
    Welcome aboard. I'll warn you, this place will only make the cigar bug bite harder. Not that that's a bad thing though. And yeah, this is a great place. I hope you enjoy your stay as much as we all have.
  • Options
    Garen BGaren B Posts: 977
    j0z3r:
    It is a great place to talk tobacco Michael, welcome. Incidentally, this is also a great place to discuss all things burro...don't ask me why, it just is. :D
    I miss our burro lovers around here....
  • Options
    WELCOME
  • Options
    gmill880:
    WELCOME
    No you're welcome ...
  • Options
    madurofan:
    gmill880:
    WELCOME
    No you're welcome ...

No no ...YOUR welcome ;)
  • Options
    Random GuyRandom Guy Posts: 3
    Hello All! Well, after months of sneaking around on here i finally decided to join. I live in Northern Virginia and have been smoking cigars for almost a year. Thanks for all of the advice i've received so far!
  • Options
    welcome aboard bro
  • Options
    LukoLuko Posts: 2,003 ✭✭
    Anybody else getting concerned about the proliferation or Virginians on here. Virgins I could cope with, but Virginians?!?