Home General Discussion

THE NEWBIE WELCOMING THREAD

Comments

• madurofanmadurofan Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭
    duty, the closet idea is perfect. Mine were in my bathroom bc it was the coolest room in the house until I bought the wine fridge.

I definetly understand being intimidated, when I first started smoking I would walk into the B&M(which is Bricks and Mortar for anyone who may not know, it just refers to a physical shop) and just buy a couple sticks with my head down hoping I wasn't buying anything that was bad or that they'd laugh at me for buying. Don't be intimidated just remember everyone on every forum was once a newb and the people who are there to sell you cigars should take pride in helping educating you, if they don't, find a new place to buy!
    Oh and they're aren't any snobs here that I've some across. But don't listen to Kuzi he smokes CAO Italia's and everyone knows Italia's are inferior cigars, any true smoker would pick a Brazilia. LMAO.

My tongue was so far in my cheek on that I almost bit it off
  • MarkbbMarkbb Posts: 196
    madurofan:
    Oh and they're aren't any snobs here that I've some across. But don't listen to Kuzi he smokes CAO Italia's and everyone knows Italia's are inferior cigars, any true smoker would pick a Brazilia. LMAO.

My tongue was so far in my cheek on that I almost bit it off
    Now hold on there Madurofan I just had a CAO Italia last night and it was one of the better smokes...
    Mark, You musta missed it. I was being facetious, an employee at a tobacconist said that to Kuzi one time.
  • urbinourbino Posts: 4,517
    madurofan:
    duty, the closet idea is perfect. Mine were in my bathroom bc it was the coolest room in the house until I bought the wine fridge.
    Really? I would've thought the wild humidity swings in a bathroom would cause havoc.
    It was the half bath ... yea I wouldn't recommend it in a bathroom with a shower that is used.
  • kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    Lucas.. welcome, we are all here to share knowledge experience and a laugh or two. Just wait till you get Kuzi, urbino, and Maduro on at the same time. They will keep you up late. Anyway glad to have you with us.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    kaspera79:
    Lucas.. welcome, we are all here to share knowledge experience and a laugh or two. Just wait till you get Kuzi, urbino, and Maduro on at the same time. They will keep you up late. Anyway glad to have you with us.
    im a bad influence.
    i mean GOOD influence.

depending how you look at it.
    kaspera79:
    Just wait till you get Kuzi, urbino, and Maduro on at the same time. They will keep you up late.
    I'm sure I don't know what you are talking about. :)
    kaspera79:
    Hey now I represent that comment!
    Yes you all resemble that comment. wisdom, wit, and way too much free time. In that order.
  • fbifffbiff Posts: 1

Hey All,

Well I thought I would give the casual cigar smoking a try. I have a wedding (mine) coming up in Julio (its in Mexico). Anyway some of the groomsmen smoke so I thouht that they would enjoy some cigars.

Now since opinions are like well you know I going to ask anyway. Now also money is kind of an issue but I would like your ideas on some choices of cigars. I appreciate your input and feel free to argue amongst yourselves or yourself if your like meTongue Tied [:S]

Thanks Steve

• j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    Howdy Steve, welcome. If there is any one thing this forum is full of (besides the obvious) it is opinions... Most of them are pretty good, there a lot of knowledgeable people on here that will steer you in good directions (mostly).

As far as recommendations go, for an inexpensive yet good brand I would check out the Oliva Serie G cameroon. I think that is a smoke that is flavorful enough for an experienced smoker, but not overpowering for a novice.

Joe
    Hi, Steve. Kaspera recently posted a glowing review of the Gurkha Sherpa. That's a premium-brand cigar that can be had for about $2 a pop.
    j0z3r:
    Howdy Steve, welcome. If there is any one thing this forum is full of (besides the obvious) it is opinions... Most of them are pretty good, there a lot of knowledgeable people on here that will steer you in good directions (mostly).

As far as recommendations go, for an inexpensive yet good brand I would check out the Oliva Serie G cameroon. I think that is a smoke that is flavorful enough for an experienced smoker, but not overpowering for a novice.

Joe
    Joe is very right here this forum is full of, well you know. LOL Anyways I agree with him on the Oliva G, the O is good as well. I'd also recommend the 5 Vegas Classic. A lot of newer or casual smokers are what some people call "label smokers" meaning they only smoke well known brands. You will find very good smokes at better prices if you walk away from Davidoff case. However, if your friends are label smokers you can never go wrong with a Davidoff Millenium. Of course that blows the whole budget thing out of the water.

Sorry I kinda answered your question then went off on a different tangent. Its early and its friday.
    its usually the big name brands that first get people into cigars. then they branch out...
    kuzi16:
    its usually the big name brands that first get people into cigars. then they branch out...
    Exactly. Like a macanudo.
    yup. macanudo and CAO got me into cigars. I still like CAO. macanudo would be better if they made stronger cigars. (their robust line isnt)
    Never smoked a Macadoodoo, my first sticks were CAO and Fuente so they got me into cigars I guess. Macanudo would be better if they made a cigar that actually had a flavor. besides the flavor of way too young light tobacco.
    I lie I smoked a Macanudo Robust tubo lancero once but I remember nothing about it.
    Steve.. Recently another poster asked a very similar question about a box suggestion for a wedding event. After several replies he decided on a 5 Vegas Classic. I personally LOVE this cigar. 5 vegas put out some fine cigars that will be enjoyed by novice and long time smokers alike. And can he had at a very reasonable price. That would be my choice.
  • la-henryla-henry Posts: 74
    urbino:
    Welcome aboard, Lucas from Omaha. All you have to do get help around here is send everybody some steaks.
    Heh, I'm from nebraska. I think I can find a cow to butcher.
  • Hello, my name is Joe. I started smoking cigars about two months ago. No favorite cigar yet. I hail from Alabama, and currently reside in Arizona.

• Hey everyone! I'm Nick. Been smoking cigars sporadically for alittle over two years now. Living in the NY area.

Top three favorite cigars for me thus far are probably the Nub Cameroon, Gurkha Gran Reserve, and Macanudo Vintage 2000.
    Hey joe, glad to have some new people chatting with us..There are lots of great people here every day, stop by often. welcome...
  • Rinaldir21Rinaldir21 Posts: 6
    Well the name is Ray i am 21 years old from upstate NY....i have smoked cigars on occasion and loved it...it also runs in the family so i dicided you are never to young to start.   I am in Iraq right now (for the second time) and i tell ya there is nothin better over here than a good cigar at the end of the day.  it has been rough gettin my hands on a humidor over here the first one i orderd didnt show and i finally got the second one the other day.  I am looking forward to some great tips from this site and its users.  Till next time.......

RAY
    Hey Nick, Welcome to the group... There is always debate here about all of your Favorite Cigars..Just wait.. You will hear it probably very soon..If you have a little spare time read the thread I met Sam Leccia today, Sam is the creator of the Nub cigar line. I think it is still active. Under General Discussion. I enjoy the Nub Cameroon and Habanos as well as several from the Gurkha line. ( Mets or Yanks Nick ? )
    Welcome, everybody! Sounds like you guys will all bring something different to the group, which keeps things interesting. OTOH, we're developing quite an Iraq contingent! (And an alarming number of Joe's.)
  • j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    Joe, Nick, Ray welcome. Nice to see some more new blood coming in.

urbino, I agree there are an alarming number of people stealing my name around here :). Just for the sake of clarification, I'm Joe #1 :D