Home General Discussion

THE NEWBIE WELCOMING THREAD

Comments

• well, for clarification purposes; call me Joe-Bama
  • zacharypzacharyp Posts: 5
    Seems like a pretty good forum here, been lurking for the past couple of days, thought I'd start adding my two cents. Figured here's as good as place as any to start my mark. About 3 weeks ago I decided to dive head first from a green horn cigar smoker, to an avid enthusiast. Obtained my first 50 count humidor, spiced it, added a 5 Vegas sampler and off I went. Currently I'm still trying to discover my pallet. Though early on I'm finding I seem to enjoy the more full flavored cigars over the mild and mediums. I really have no daily cigar as of yet, as I'm more about sampling the rainbow of flavors until I can settle on something truly perfect. Finding the 5 Vegas series 'A' to be the most to my liking I just recently obtained a Ghurka madura sampler and have been enjoying the earthy richness those cigars are known for. The hardest thing I've found so far, is smoking the cigars slower. Being an avid cigarette smoker I've found the transition to be bothersome at times, yet I feel I'm slowly learning more and more.
  • kaspera79:
    Hey Nick, Welcome to the group... There is always debate here about all of your Favorite Cigars..Just wait.. You will hear it probably very soon..If you have a little spare time read the thread I met Sam Leccia today, Sam is the creator of the Nub cigar line. I think it is still active. Under General Discussion. I enjoy the Nub Cameroon and Habanos as well as several from the Gurkha line. ( Mets or Yanks Nick ? )

I'm going to have to go with the Yankees.

I checked out that thread, very neat. Good pictures too...

Thanks for the welcome everyone!
  • kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    Hey Nick, Glad to hear your a Yanks fan. Living in the Chicago area I have choices too, But it is always the Cubs. My two favorite A.L teams are the Yankees and the Red Sox, and that can cause controversy, at least among the Die Hard fans.. It did take some crazy turns off the road didn't it I'll have to revisit it to see what country it is in now.
  • urbinourbino Posts: 4,517
    Just giving the thread a bump so the newbies will see it.
  • j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    urbino:
    Just giving the thread a bump so the newbies will see it.
    And bumping your post count as well.... Did I actually post that? Thinking out loud again... :)
    Yes, my goal is global ccom forum hegemony. Then you'll feel my wrath, capitalist pig-dog!

(Actually, I'm hoping to induce PurosFreak to post here so I can ask him what puros he's freaky for.)
    Ya know, I never see or hear people use the word "hegemony", +1 for you my friend.
    That word doesn't come up very often, we are headed towards domination here, this from a man of the land of the KING....
  • PuroFreakPuroFreak Posts: 4,131 ✭✭

VIVA EL HEFFE!!! Presidente Fidel Urbino!!!!!!!! haha sorry, had to join in on this one.

Perhaps I won't have to send you 3 to the gulag, after all.

Now that you're here, Puro: what puros are you freaky for?

Well I am hooked on the Onyx Reserve robustos!  I bought 10 of them at a little cigar shop I found up here.  I am also a fan of the CAO Brazillia and Criollo, Padron 3000 Maduro, Rocky Patel Sun Grown, Edge Maduro, and Vintage 92.  Recently purchased a Partagas Black Label, a few CAO Mx2's, and a Romio Y Julietta Maduro Reserve.  I have a few nice thing stashed away that I'm saving for special occasions too. Have a Padron 1926 that I can't wait to try!  Also have the Rocky Patel Decade that I'm looking forward to! Have heard great things about both of those!
    You'll find plenty of fans of all those cigars around here. I see you're using "puro" in the more traditional sense -- premium cigars -- instead of the more contemporary sense -- a cigar made entirely of tobaccos from a single country.

I thought you were a country-by-country connoisseur.

I was just tryin to think of a good name... lol  I am still fairly new to cigar smoking but trying to learn all I can and I'm REALLY enjoying it.  No better way to relax than a nice drink and a good cigar!  I'm a big golfer too and cigars and golf just go together soooo well!  What are a few of your favorite smokes?

PuroFreak, glad to have you. You nailed it, there really is no better way to relax than with a good cigar. No matter how long the day seems to be or how bad it is, everything bad just goes out of mind and rides away on a tuft of blue-grey smoke. So puros or multi-nation blends, if its good its good and that's the only thing that matters.

Welcome aboard,
    Joe.
    PuroFreak:

I was just tryin to think of a good name... lol  I am still fairly new to cigar smoking but trying to learn all I can and I'm REALLY enjoying it.  No better way to relax than a nice drink and a good cigar!  I'm a big golfer too and cigars and golf just go together soooo well!  What are a few of your favorite smokes?

Me? I'm sort of a returning cigar smoker. I smoked them for a few years, then stopped for about 10, and started again about a month ago. So there are cigars I remember liking way back when, but haven't tried recently, and there are cigars I've tried recently I enjoyed.

Far and away my main favorite from back in the day is the Hemingway. I also enjoyed Padrons, Buteras, and Joya de Nicaraguas, but haven't had them recently. My more recent favorites are the ones in my log that have high ratings; particularly the Graycliff Legend and the Oliva Serie G Maduro.
    urbino, have you tried the Serie G cameroon? Or perhaps the Serie O natural? Both very good smokes in my opinion and worth checking out if you can spare about $6 (I think that's enough to get one of each :D )
    Not yet, Joe, but after my experience with the G Maduro, I'll be exploring more Olivas. What I have right now is their sampler. Can't think what all's in it, just off the top of my head. I think there's a G Cameroon and an O of some kind in there.

They do seem to be incredible cigars for the money.
    Series O very nice I believe you will like that,... not yet tried the G but have some resting, series V , not their crowning achievement but good none the less.
  • edsbar60edsbar60 Posts: 1
    Hello all!

I thought I'd say hello and maybe post a little here.  I've been a cigar smoker for about 8 years now here in Tempe, AZ.  I originally started with some cigars from a Cuban roller that lives here and sells cigars out of house.  Then I started trying all different kinds and now I have a crazy addiction for the leaf.  I especially enjoy med-full cigars like Corojos, maddies, and sungrowns.   I like the Oliva Habano Nubs, I think they're pretty tasty.

edsbar60:
    Hello all!

I thought I'd say hello and maybe post a little here.  I've been a cigar smoker for about 8 years now here in Tempe, AZ.  I originally started with some cigars from a Cuban roller that lives here and sells cigars out of house.  Then I started trying all different kinds and now I have a crazy addiction for the leaf.  I especially enjoy med-full cigars like Corojos, maddies, and sungrowns.   I like the Oliva Habano Nubs, I think they're pretty tasty.

Welcome Edsbar, It's nice to have new people with us, to share experiences and knowledge.. A friend of mine just came back from Miami with some fresh rolled street cigars, I can't wait to give them a try...
    I love fresh rolled cigars, there is something about them that an aged cigar just doesn't have. Still have 5 from a local roller, and I'll surely savor each one.

Welcome to the club edsbar, embrace the madness.
    Welcome aboard, edsbar. Looking forward to getting to know you and hearing what you've tried, what you liked, and what you didn't.
  • Bad AndyBad Andy Posts: 848
    Hello Y'all, I had to join the site since I was getting so much great info from here. I've been smoking cigars for about 2 years. The first cigar that really got me hooked was RP Vin'92. Right now Olivas and Padrons are my usual smokes in the states. I'm in Iraq right now so its whatever I can get my hands on to get me by. Thanks for all the great info.
    Welcome, Andy. (Even if you are bad.) Those are all great smokes. Keep your head down.
    Thanks, bro...its not as bad as it used to be over here, despite what you might here on the news.
  • Smoke=FireSmoke=Fire Posts: 692 ✭✭✭
    Welcome to the boards, Andy. Good to see you are hanging tough over there.
    Thanks Smoke. The toughest thing today was the dust storm, they really are annoying this year.
  • madurofanmadurofan Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭
    Welcome aboard Andy. And thanks for all you do for us.
    Bad Andy:
    Hello Y'all, I had to join the site since I was getting so much great info from here. I've been smoking cigars for about 2 years. The first cigar that really got me hooked was RP Vin'92. Right now Olivas and Padrons are my usual smokes in the states. I'm in Iraq right now so its whatever I can get my hands on to get me by. Thanks for all the great info.
    Andy welcome, The '92 is a good jump start for cigar smokers.. It will make you want to try more. and there are so many great smokes out right now.. the rollers know they need to keep getting better and they do. Enjoy that never ending search.