Home Non Cigar Related

Your, you're. Then, than. Your/you're thoughts?

Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,004 ✭✭✭✭✭
Spelling. And basic punctuation. Are you fer it or or agin' it?

Comments

• RainRain Posts: 8,958 ✭✭✭
    I'm guilty of than/then, I honestly don't even know the correct usage.
  • EchambersEchambers Posts: 4,178 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bob Luken:
    I'm for it but I also understand that conversations on forums like ccom are not the same as a professional email or letter. That doesn't mean that we can let all the rules of out he door but I am certainly more forgiving for a typo now and again. I do a lot of my forum interaction on my phone or iPad and it's much harder to see what I am writing at times. Now, having said that, I taught at university for 12 years and was appalled by the degradation of students grammar, spelling, and punctuation over time. If I could attach a document to this I'd post this thing I use to give my students on writing. It was pretty snarky (IMHO)
    -- "There's something that doesn't make sense. Let's go poke it with a stick."
  • Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,004 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Echambers:
    Bob Luken:
    I'm for it but I also understand that conversations on forums like ccom are not the same as a professional email or letter. That doesn't mean that we can let all the rules of out he door but I am certainly more forgiving for a typo now and again.
    I agree. And I'm no better than anybody else. I'm certainly no english professor. And if anybody messes up grammatically here on the forum it doesn't bother me much. But You guys are my friends and if I had a booger hanging out of my nose, I'd want you to tell me about it. Same theory. Also if I was doing something wrong with my humidor, I'd want you to tell me about it. So, I'm bringing up the conversation. But please don't take it the wrong way. If anybody would rather not hear about it, then please feel very welcomed to ignore all that I have posted here.
    You have good friends, because no way would mine tell me about a booger hanging out.
  • Puff_DougiePuff_Dougie Posts: 4,599 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rain:
    You have good friends, because no way would mine tell me about a booger hanging out.
    Do you even boogie, bro?
    "When I have found intense pain relieved, a weary brain soothed, and calm, refreshing sleep obtained by a cigar, I have felt grateful to God, and have blessed His name." - Charles Haddon Spurgeon
  • brianetz1brianetz1 Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭
    the your/you're type of grammatical errors are a pet peeve of mine. My friends purposely put the wrong version in emails and texts just to *** with me.
    Rain:
    Here's a link to a quick explaination and a self-test quiz.

Then vs Than
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,917
    I'm for it but I'm not going to call anyone out on it, what with typing on phones and the like, it's bound to happen by accident.
  • Puff_DougiePuff_Dougie Posts: 4,599 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bob Luken:
    Rain:

Then vs Than
    What's a "explaination"? ;^)
    "When I have found intense pain relieved, a weary brain soothed, and calm, refreshing sleep obtained by a cigar, I have felt grateful to God, and have blessed His name." - Charles Haddon Spurgeon
  • EchambersEchambers Posts: 4,178 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bob Luken:
    Echambers:
    Bob Luken:
    I'm for it but I also understand that conversations on forums like ccom are not the same as a professional email or letter. That doesn't mean that we can let all the rules of out he door but I am certainly more forgiving for a typo now and again.
    I agree. And I'm no better than anybody else. I'm certainly no english professor. And if anybody messes up grammatically here on the forum it doesn't bother me much. But You guys are my friends and if I had a booger hanging out of my nose, I'd want you to tell me about it. Same theory. Also if I was doing something wrong with my humidor, I'd want you to tell me about it. So, I'm bringing up the conversation. But please don't take it the wrong way. If anybody would rather not hear about it, then please feel very welcomed to ignore all that I have posted here.
    Bob, you have a booger hanging from your nose. :-). Kidding...
    -- "There's something that doesn't make sense. Let's go poke it with a stick."
    Puff_Dougie:
    Bob Luken:
    Rain:

Then vs Than
    What's a "explaination"? ;^)
    Told ya.
  • Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I tend to prefer proper usage, but also sometimes am guilty of rapid typing followed by rapid posting resulting in error. When that happens I usually return and edit, if I notice. Sometimes ones own posts are the hardest to notice, because I know what I meant.

I have to admit, especially when I first started posting here, I was often dismayed by the poor grammar, incorrect spelling and punctuation. Later, when my computer was down and I was limited to posting on my tablet, with its tiny keyboard, I came to understand misspellings and had a lot more sympathy for errors.

Something else I've noticed, especially around November when the "Great American Smokeout" is in progress and we get a bunch of one-post-wonder trolls asking stupid questions about cigarettes and machine made cigars, is that either these posters are congenitally stupid, or they assume they're blending in with the dumb smokers. (they are, as opposed to the possessive their, or even there) Their posts are poorly written, badly spelled, and gramatically atrocious. Their questions are usually completely irrelevant to anything we here, or any informed cigar smoker would be interested in.

While they are usually easy to spot, sometimes we get sucked it for awhile. Then, blessedly, they go away. Presumably they return to their safe little troll caves where they live in the safety of authoritarian mind control, all decisions made for them by worthy do-gooders who would swaddle us all from cradle to grave, insulating us from everything that doesn't produce goodly profit for The Machine that molded what passes for their selves.
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
    brianetz1:
    the your/you're type of grammatical errors are a pet peeve of mine. My friends purposely put the wrong version in emails and texts just to *** with me.
    LOL
  • PAtoNHPAtoNH Posts: 429
    I'm for it, sometimes I screw it up and when I do I think I look like an ignorant idiot.
  • MartelMartel Posts: 3,306 ✭✭✭✭
    If you mess up grammar in this way, I will discriminate against you. Live with it.

Now, what's the html tag for sarcasm? Is that in the 101 thread?
    Intelligence is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.

I like Oliva and Quesada (including Regius) a lot.  I will smoke anything, though.
  • jd50aejd50ae Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I use to write all the time. In fact I had 2 "books" going at the same time and loved hand written letters. After THE tornado I lost interest. So it seems I have forgotten a lot of basics as far as grammar goes and I apologize for any errors made on this forum.

But, to this day I will return any personal e-mail that is in PC/texting shorthand and ask them to explain their gibberish.
    Martel:
    If you mess up grammar in this way, I will discriminate against you. Live with it.

Well, What if you were choosing someone to write out a menu for your restaurant? Or picking someone to write up the church bulletin? In that case you SHOULD discriminate against known grammatical offenders. LOL
  • The_PhantomThe_Phantom Posts: 51
    Puff_Dougie:
    Rain:

Do you even boogie, bro?

I think you're funny, you went from booger to boogie, you know, is a type of dance. Do you know, how to boogie? lol
    jd50ae:
    I use to write all the time. In fact I had 2 "books" going at the same time and loved hand written letters. After THE tornado I lost interest. So it seems I have forgotten a lot of basics as far as grammar goes and I apologize for any errors made on this forum.

But, to this day I will return any personal e-mail that is in PC/texting shorthand and ask them to explain their gibberish.
    LOL I hate texting shorthand too. Kid's writing skills these days are diminished because of texting in my opinion.
    Rain:
    That's too bad. All they gotta say is- "You got a bat hangin' in the belfry".

What else are they NOT telling you?!

Would they tell you if your zipper's down? --- "Check your barn door Randy."
  • dr_frankenstein56dr_frankenstein56 Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭
    i can barely read much less write worth a hoot.... So I apologize for the terrible everything.
    Bob Luken:
    Rain:

XYZ!
    Intelligence is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.

I like Oliva and Quesada (including Regius) a lot.  I will smoke anything, though.
  • danielzreyesdanielzreyes Posts: 8,769 ✭✭✭✭✭
    brianetz1:
    +1. Their our people who just don't get it. To many two list but hears another common won........ lose and loose.
    "It's plume, bro. Nothing to worry about. Got any Opus?" The suppose to be DZR
    Bob Luken:
    Rain:

Probably not. I'd trust my friends down range in an instant, but in the States.....we/they are ruthless to each other.
    Bob Luken:
    Martel:

Well, What if you were choosing someone to write out a menu for your restaurant? Or picking someone to write up the church bulletin? In that case you SHOULD discriminate against known grammatical offenders. LOL
    I've had a couple of things published...not for any profit mind you, but in church bulletins and in newsletters/fundraising mailers for organizations and the like. I have an English teacher friend who's proofread many of those things and only made one correction. On that correction, her comment was, "my suggestion may not be any better than what you have, because I'm OCD about parallel construction, but there's no good way to make what you're trying to say parallel without splitting an infinitive, so good luck with whatever you choose. You write better than I do." I rewrote it and was able to work around the issue; it was still a little awkward.

I tried getting a job teaching composition, but didn't have enough graduate credits in that specific field. But I write better than the English teacher who does have those credits...oh well.

• bbass2bbass2 Posts: 1,059 ✭✭
    Most of those I don't have a problem with, but I admit I have to stop and think about whether to use effect or affect.
    bbass2:
    Most of those I don't have a problem with, but I admit I have to stop and think about whether to use effect or affect.
    Those two words are becoming extinct. Ever notice how all forms of the word "impact" have virtually replaced both affect and effect in most usage? (And I hate it too.)
  • 0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bob Luken:
    Martel:

I wouldn't be picking someone for a church social. Ever. So that would never be a problem. If it offends you, then speak up or shut up.
    Kind of like effect or affect. If folks understand what you meant, who cares? I can't understand half the phone text stuff. And auto corrections on phone are as guilty as people.
    In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
  • pelirrojopelirrojo Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭
    English as a language is in serious trouble. I don't mind abbreviations and text speak when used in proper context. However, if you have a QWERTY keyboard in front of you, then "use your words." Often things are auto-corrected improperly(though not proofread) and that is excusable to me, but clear misuse of homophones or lack of punctuation and capitalization drive me nuts.

I once read an e-mail/letter written from a client to a lawyer. Don't worry the client gave it to me. It was one "paragraph," however there was no punctuation in the entire thing. Every "sentence" started with well, then, or well then. It was spellchecked but apparently the red lines under all those words weren't important. My brain hurt after reading it, just as it does when I venture into the scary world of facebook. I get excited these days when you can have a coherent conversation with someone, especially if they are younger than me.
  • New_BootsNew_Boots Posts: 2,651 ✭✭
    I'm ALL for it....but then again, I had an English teacher in high school who POUNDED these into your head!

Your/You're, They're, there, their, etc. To this day, I promise you....if I were to run into that man, he'd quiz me!