Home General Discussion
Options

THE NEWBIE WELCOMING THREAD

Comments

• Options
    EchambersEchambers Posts: 4,178 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Maldrik:
    My name is Michael or Mike for short. I work for the Department of Defense at Sierra Army Depot. I am 22 years old , happily married with 5 kids in the house and a daughter in Vegas. I love anything that has to do with the outdoors and being with my family. I am a noob when it comes to cigars although for the last 3 years I have enjoyed a cigar every once in a blue moon until recently when my dad got me involved into it as a hobby and learning more about it than just smoking them. I look forward to the experiences in this forum.
    Welcome to the forums, Mike. You two might be the only father/son on the forums.
    -- "There's something that doesn't make sense. Let's go poke it with a stick."
  • Options
    Welcome, guys.
  • Options
    flowbeeflowbee Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭
    welcome Mike,

I am new here also. This place is awesome.
  • Options
    honorknight7honorknight7 Posts: 523
    Echambers:
    Welcome to the forums, Mike. You two might be the only father/son on the forums.
    Hmm should do a "Who's a Parent & Child here" post lol
  • Options
    EchambersEchambers Posts: 4,178 ✭✭✭✭✭
    honorknight7:
    Echambers:
    You should! It would be interesting to see if there are more.
    -- "There's something that doesn't make sense. Let's go poke it with a stick."
  • Options
    twistedstemtwistedstem Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Echambers:
    honorknight7:
    Echambers:
    You should! It would be interesting to see if there are more.
    My son has joined.he's not nearly as active as I am.hes more into pipe smoking and a little vaping.he goes by Mr.fusion.he mostly checks out the pipe section.
    no matter where you go, there you are.

• Options
    ddubridgeddubridge Posts: 3,978 ✭✭✭
    "the" intro thread bump
  • Options
    RedRex06RedRex06 Posts: 155
    Good evening all! I've poked around a little bit before now, and have decided to stick around and get some learnin' done, so here is my intro post!

My name is Kevin, I'm active duty air force stationed in Denver. I've got a wife and an 16mo son,and I'm a dead even split between gearhead and technonerd. I'm enrolled full time in some online school, and just underwent surgery for my foot. If all goes well, I'm looking at being at the University of Oklahoma int he fall of 2015, going into their Chemical Engineering program.

I was introduced to cigars by my buddy from college mid-December of last year, and my first cigar was a Macanudo of some sort, followed by the Drew Estate's Cafe con Leche. I've had two of those, and hesitated purchasing more because I had no way to store them, and Denver is insanely dry. To put it in perspective, the roses my wife got for her birthday dried before they wilted.

I've finally got a humidor in the mail, should be here Monday. I also have a good number of samplers on their way as well, and they hopefully won't arrive until my humidor is up and running. Now that its starting to warm up a bit (only to get super cold again, I'm sure) I'm hoping to be able to smoke semi-regularly.

That's about it, I think. Feel free to ask anything you'd like to know.

Lastly, my Dad quit smoking last summer, and that is a real bummer when I'd love to share a cigar with him. Its hard enough to get him to try the microbrews I take down to Oklahoma when we visit! Kinda lame not having anyone to smoke with, unless my buddy road trips up here.
  • Options
    flowbeeflowbee Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭
    Welcome Kevin, you have found cigar heaven!!
  • Options
    dandin1dandin1 Posts: 175
    Alright so even though I have had quite a few welcomes to the forum already, I haven't done a short bio yet so I feel like I should do that.
    My name is Daniel, I am 22 years old and I am currently an Electrical Engineering student at Louisiana State university, Baton Rouge. In addition to Electrical Engineering I am a cadet in the AFROTC Program here and pending my graduation in May I will commission as a 2nd Lieutenant in the USAF.
    I am engaged now since June 2013 and will be getting married this year in November. My fiancee is also an Electrical Engineer and so far has been supportive of my new habit. We currently have a yellow lab named Jackson (my avatar pic) and a black cat named Tux.
    I became interested in cigars a few years ago thanks to an annual Steak and Cigar, Father/son/alumni event that my fraternity holds every year during LSU homecoming weekend. After this I began buying singles with small groups of friends and never owning a humidor until recently.
    Alright, so there is my basic story. Thanks again for all the welcomes and I have been quite enjoying my time here.
  • Options
    RainRain Posts: 8,958 ✭✭✭
    Chair Force? Oh dear....;)
  • Options
    Rain:

I knew it was coming. Hey man, I've wanted to fly since I was 10 and they offered to pay for schooling. Now I know that I'm blind as a bat and have no chance to fly so I will now be a 62E1E (Developmental Engineer).
  • Options
    New_BootsNew_Boots Posts: 2,651 ✭✭
    dandin1:
    Rain:

I knew it was coming. Hey man, I've wanted to fly since I was 10 and they offered to pay for schooling. Now I know that I'm blind as a bat and have no chance to fly so I will now be a 62E1E (Developmental Engineer).
    If we can get a Navy guy/gal around here, we'll have the big 4.
  • Options
    RainRain Posts: 8,958 ✭✭✭
    Now we need an O Club.
  • Options
    Rain:
    Now we need an O Club.
    LOL, yeah...we do. Then again, if we have an O club, we need an Enlisted club also.
  • Options
    LiquidChaos66LiquidChaos66 Posts: 3,767 ✭✭✭✭
    Welcome aboard kids! :) Enjoy the fun!
    Life is like a blind fiver. You never know what you're gonna get.
  • Options
    New Boots:
    Rain:
    Now we need an O Club.
    LOL, yeah...we do. Then again, if we have an O club, we need an Enlisted club also.

I'm in with this idea. Just wait until May so I can actually be in it. Haha
  • Options
    dandin1:
    New Boots:
    Rain:
    Now we need an O Club.

LOL, as far as I know..you are the only member of the O club. So, do with it what you wish.
  • Options

Well, its segregated in real life enough as is, no need for that mirrored here! Besides, I'd be in the enlisted club :P
  • Options
    SleevePlzSleevePlz Posts: 6,249 ✭✭✭✭
    New Boots:
    dandin1:
    Rain:

Wasn't Toombes in the Navy?
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • Options
    SleevePlz:
    New Boots:
    dandin1:
    Rain:

Wasn't Toombes in the Navy?
    Know what, me thinks you are correct!
  • Options
    New Boots:
    dandin1:
    New Boots:
    Rain:
    Now we need an O Club.

LOL, as far as I know..you are the only member of the O club. So, do with it what you wish.

Well I don't want to separate it and surely don't want to be the only one. We'll just combine the O club and E club for now haha
  • Options
    twistedstemtwistedstem Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow,lots of newbs.welcome all hope you guys stick around.and while I'm here anyone care to help update my bork-a-dex?
    no matter where you go, there you are.

• Options
    dandin1:
    New Boots:
    dandin1:
    New Boots:
    Rain:
    Now we need an O Club.

Well I don't want to separate it and surely don't want to be the only one. We'll just combine the O club and E club for now haha
    Alright, I guess we can do that.
  • Options
    twistedstem:
    Wow,lots of newbs.welcome all hope you guys stick around.and while I'm here anyone care to help update my bork-a-dex?

PM'd.
  • Options
    Hey guys. Name is Ray, just starting to learn about how to care for cigars. Really enjoy smoking Maduros. I have tried La Perla Black Pearl and Classic. Thats about it, havent really experienced any other cigars but hope to learn more.
  • Options
    Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,251 ✭✭✭✭✭
    roaddevilray:
    Hey guys. Name is Ray, just starting to learn about how to care for cigars. Really enjoy smoking Maduros. I have tried La Perla Black Pearl and Classic. Thats about it, havent really experienced any other cigars but hope to learn more.
    Welcome Ray. Did you say you liked the Back Pearls? I can hook you up with some Morados and Grand pearls. You need to PM (private message) me your address though.
  • Options
    thedjfish@comcast.netthedjfish@comcast.net Posts: 1,692 ✭✭✭
    roaddevilray:
    look into my eyes " i sense you will be sending me your addy very soon"
  • Options
    Gray4linesGray4lines Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    roaddevilray:
    If you like maduros, give the camacho triple maduro a try...one of the best! Pardon also makes some great ones. For a cheaper stick, I like the 5 Vegas A's. San Lotano is a good maduro too.
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • Options
    Gray4lines:
    roaddevilray:
    If you like maduros, give the camacho triple maduro a try...one of the best! Pardon also makes some great ones. For a cheaper stick, I like the 5 Vegas A's. San Lotano is a good maduro too.
    Yeah I was planning on trying the 5 Vegas, I'll also keep the camacho on my mind.