THE NEWBIE WELCOMING THREAD

Comments

• Options
    Thanatos0320Thanatos0320 Posts: 577 ✭✭✭
    Puff_Dougie:
    Thanatos0320:
    Puff_Dougie:
    Thanatos0320:
    Hello everyone. I'm Mark. I'm 23 yrs old. I recently started smoking cigars about 1.5 years ago. I'm an AJ Fernandez fanboy. I'm also trying to get into pipes but I'm have the hardest time packing them. I love golfing and doing financial analysis on companies. I'm a finance major, go figure. Anyway, I look forward to meeting y'all and learning a lot about cigars/pipes.
    Welcome, Mark! I'm fairly new here too, but long enough to tell you this is an amazing place with some very cool folks! Stick around and get to know the brothers here. You'll be glad you did.

I'm a finacial advisor with Pru, and absolutely love my job. Lemme know if you have any particular questions about a career in financial services.

BTW, what's the story behind your username? Thanatos = Greek personification of Death, yes? Just caught my attention as a student of Greek.
    thank you, I'd love to have your help some time. When you say a student of greek do you mean mythology, Ancient or modern greek?
    Actually, I mean Koine Greek, which is what I studied in seminary (I'm also a minister).
    oh ok. I can barely understand koine. Can you speak modern greek at all?
  • Options
    Puff_Dougie:
    Thanatos0320:
    Puff_Dougie:
    Thanatos0320:
    Hello everyone. I'm Mark. I'm 23 yrs old. I recently started smoking cigars about 1.5 years ago. I'm an AJ Fernandez fanboy. I'm also trying to get into pipes but I'm have the hardest time packing them. I love golfing and doing financial analysis on companies. I'm a finance major, go figure. Anyway, I look forward to meeting y'all and learning a lot about cigars/pipes.
    Welcome, Mark! I'm fairly new here too, but long enough to tell you this is an amazing place with some very cool folks! Stick around and get to know the brothers here. You'll be glad you did.

I'm a finacial advisor with Pru, and absolutely love my job. Lemme know if you have any particular questions about a career in financial services.

BTW, what's the story behind your username? Thanatos = Greek personification of Death, yes? Just caught my attention as a student of Greek.
    thank you, I'd love to have your help some time. When you say a student of greek do you mean mythology, Ancient or modern greek?
    Actually, I mean Koine Greek, which is what I studied in seminary (I'm also a minister).
    oh ok. I can barely understand koine. Can you speak modern greek at all?
  • Options
    Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,251 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welcome, welcome, welcome to Mark, Bill and Corbin.
  • Options
    Thank you Bob
  • Options
    Welcome to the forum, where everyone is on the up and up. :)
  • Options
    TwoThingismTwoThingism Posts: 121
    Alright, it's time for me to come out of the shadows and post. I've been lurking for a few months, picking up information and suggestions from other cigar enthusiasts. My name is Ryan, I am 29 years old from Hawai'i. I have smoked a cigar here and there since high school, but only really gotten into cigars for about two years. I pretty much smoke solo or with one or two other friends. We have two dedicated cigar shops that I know of and they're little pricey and cheaper to purchase online. I love my Ruination and have rarely met a cigar I didn't like (*cough* Gurkha). I've been pretty shy to post with all the premium sticks being shown off. I'm more of a $3-$4 a stick range but I do splurge occasionally. I may head to Northern California in a month or so. If anyone have any tips on a good shop, I would appreciate any info. Here's hoping I can be a part of this great community. Edit: I have no idea why It isn't letting me post in paragraphs. Sorry for the run on.
  • Options
    From one newcomer to another, Welcome! There is nothing wrong with $3-$4 cigars. I love the Aj fernandez fresh rolled. I hope you've been taking advantage of the daily deals and sprint sale because you can get $7-$10 cigars for really good deals
  • Options
    RedRex06RedRex06 Posts: 155
    Welcome, good sir!

The forum uses some rather funky formatting, but just for you, HERE it is!

You'll get used to it eventually. Makes me glad I have a macro keyboard for some of the common stuff.
  • Options
    honorknight7honorknight7 Posts: 523
    Welcome Ryan, doesn't matter what the price is as long as "you" like em ;)
    I smoke more then I post here from my local Hatuey B&M and get cigars there from $2.99 - $6.00 all the time and love em, also this thread might help with the posting...

How To Format Your Post

It's really a great forum family here

• Options
    RedRex06RedRex06 Posts: 155
    honorknight7:
    also this thread might help with the posting...

How To Format Your Post

It's really a great forum family here

Beat you to it! Ha! :)
  • Options
    Ya, I take to long typing a post lol :P
  • Options
    Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,251 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welcome Ryan.
  • Options
    flowbeeflowbee Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭
    TwoThingism:
    Alright, it's time for me to come out of the shadows and post. I've been lurking for a few months, picking up information and suggestions from other cigar enthusiasts. My name is Ryan, I am 29 years old from Hawai'i. I have smoked a cigar here and there since high school, but only really gotten into cigars for about two years. I pretty much smoke solo or with one or two other friends. We have two dedicated cigar shops that I know of and they're little pricey and cheaper to purchase online. I love my Ruination and have rarely met a cigar I didn't like (*cough* Gurkha). I've been pretty shy to post with all the premium sticks being shown off. I'm more of a $3-$4 a stick range but I do splurge occasionally. I may head to Northern California in a month or so. If anyone have any tips on a good shop, I would appreciate any info. Here's hoping I can be a part of this great community. Edit: I have no idea why It isn't letting me post in paragraphs. Sorry for the run on.
    Hey Ryan, welcome bro!
  • Options
    blutattooblutattoo Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭
    TwoThingism:
    Welcome bud, lots of good shops in Norcal to herf. Just depends on where you're headed.
  • Options
    GarheadGarhead Posts: 41
    Newbies...run far...and run fast! Come over to Cigars International's ONE thread. We're much nicer and won't throw people under the bus (just look around these threads, some people are vicious!). I'm well respected over there, apparently not here because your post number counts. So there is no need to bash me here, I'll never check this post. Smoke on BOTLs. Ha!
  • Options
    ddubridgeddubridge Posts: 3,978 ✭✭✭
    Garhead:
    Newbies...run far...and run fast! Come over to Cigars International's ONE thread. We're much nicer and won't throw people under the bus (just look around these threads, some people are vicious!). I'm well respected over there, apparently not here because your post number counts. So there is no need to bash me here, I'll never check this post. Smoke on BOTLs. Ha!
  • Options
    Jetmech_63Jetmech_63 Posts: 3,451 ✭✭✭
    Garhead:
    Do you even CI bro?
  • Options
    Hello, All, I am Robidan. I am from US. i am a newer in this forum. please  wish me all. thanks
  • Options
    Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭
    Garhead:
    hhhhhmmmmm I'm gonna join now!! Here's my intro...Gurkha is by far the best company ever!! Besides acid cigars and Gurkha I really enjoy rajis and casa garcias. I've been smoking for a bit now and I am not sure about cello on or cello off. I like too smoke fast since the first one done is the winner and I really love my 10ct humidor because I only smoke fresh cigars
    Money can't buy taste
  • Options
    Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭
    robidan:
    Hello, All, I am Robidan. I am from US. i am a newer in this forum. please  wish me all. thanks
    welcom robidan! Hope you learn a lot here and have fun! We are quite a nice bunch of guys I do believe
    Money can't buy taste
  • Options
    RainRain Posts: 8,958 ✭✭✭
    Yeah look around here. So many bombs. Run farrrrrrrrr away.
  • Options
    RainRain Posts: 8,958 ✭✭✭
    robidan:
    Missed ya. Welcome! Can I use aloha here? Aloha!
  • Options
    FireRobFireRob Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭
    My name is Robert, started smoking some time as a rookie on the fire department 14 to 16 years ago for a couple years. Changed stations and stopped working with cigar guys and just slowly stopped smoking. Picked it back up about six months ago. Looked at other forums and after finding this one it seamed like the one to fit me best. I have four kids total, three in diapers (2 1/2 year old girl and 16 month old twin boys) and an 18 year old who is a freshman in college, so my cigar budget is small so my "daily" smokes right now are Tampa Trollys and another factory second called a 49 ( I know, try not to laugh to hard) but I got a box of Camacho Crillios on the way to take their place. My favorite at the moment is the Ditka Throwback and I stocked up on as many of those as I could afford for my special occasion stick. Thanks for all the friendly welcomes so far and look forward to being here.
    Thanks again,
    Robert
  • Options
    Puff_DougiePuff_Dougie Posts: 4,599 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welcome Robert! Glad to have you here! Hope you stick around for awhile. Great bunch of bros here!
    "When I have found intense pain relieved, a weary brain soothed, and calm, refreshing sleep obtained by a cigar, I have felt grateful to God, and have blessed His name." - Charles Haddon Spurgeon
  • Options
    flowbeeflowbee Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭
    Hey Robert , welcome to the forums bro
  • Options
    FireRobFireRob Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭
    Thanks Dougie and Flowbee!
  • Options
    Hey FireRob, welcome, you found a Great place here
  • Options
    My name is Alvin, Yes Alvin and I thought I would curb some the jokes with my choice of a funny avatar, and for years now I have been reading and learning from you guy's and through that knowledge I have grown to respect this forum. My biggest problem is one that a lot of new smokers probably face, choosing cigars too strong for a novice such as myself as I have talked to Ralph on far too many occasions. I am a simple man with simple taste and wish only to learn too really appreciate my cigars without the sick feeling I get. Do any others get this feeling or am I alone in this? And what are good cigar choices for a novice? If you don't mind me asking?

• Options
    dr_frankenstein56dr_frankenstein56 Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭
    NuttyChip:
    My name is Alvin, Yes Alvin and I thought I would curb some the jokes with my choice of a funny avatar, and for years now I have been reading and learning from you guy's and through that knowledge I have grown to respect this forum. My biggest problem is one that a lot of new smokers probably face, choosing cigars too strong for a novice such as myself as I have talked to Ralph on far too many occasions. I am a simple man with simple taste and wish only to learn too really appreciate my cigars without the sick feeling I get. Do any others get this feeling or am I alone in this? And what are good cigar chooses for a novice? If you don't mind me asking?

Welcome to the Forum! this place is great! Also, try eating a full meal before attacking a strong cigar.

Aj
  • Options
    dr_frankenstein56:
    NuttyChip:
    My name is Alvin, Yes Alvin and I thought I would curb some the jokes with my choice of a funny avatar, and for years now I have been reading and learning from you guy's and through that knowledge I have grown to respect this forum. My biggest problem is one that a lot of new smokers probably face, choosing cigars too strong for a novice such as myself as I have talked to Ralph on far too many occasions. I am a simple man with simple taste and wish only to learn too really appreciate my cigars without the sick feeling I get. Do any others get this feeling or am I alone in this? And what are good cigar choices for a novice? If you don't mind me asking?

Welcome to the Forum! this place is great! Also, try eating a full meal before attacking a strong cigar.

Aj

Thank you. I have also read that sugar helps, is this also true?